TESTERS WANTED! ×

Buying clubs

kingfive

I would say that you need a driver, hands down. Some high quality used models include drivers like

ping g400, Taylormade SLDR, Taylormade M2, Titleist d13-15, Callaway Epic, etc...

these are just a few examples of many great drivers that can be had for less that $200, maybe even closer to $100 if you scour the internet.

you can go to any big box golf store (if open) near you to go take some swings on their monitor to get an idea of the shaft flex best suited to you.

there are again a large number of great irons available, from 3-5 years old used, that can be had for a few hundred dollars, which when new, we’re probably in the $1000 range.

also keep an eye out for full sets at garage sales or Facebook marketplace, or other local venues...

spend a little time researching clubs on YouTube as there is a wealth of information available. And when you get out and play, don’t be afraid to pick up your ball if you’re mis-hitting a lot, and keep you pace of play even with the group ahead of you and not bog down the group behind you.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

There are lots of levels of new budget clubs with some being good quality and others not so much.  Don't know your budget or what setup you are looking for,  but if you want new,  brands like Ben Hogan,  Sub 70, and New Level get high marks in the budget golf world.   You can also find some budget deals on slightly used sets on their social media accounts.   In the used world,  Global golf, Callaway PreOwned, 2nd Swing are good options for your more well known brands.  The difficulty may be finding the configuration (shafts, length, lie angle, etc) you are looking for.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/27/2020 at 12:45 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I would say that you need a driver, hands down. Some high quality used models include drivers like

ping g400, Taylormade SLDR, Taylormade M2, Titleist d13-15, Callaway Epic, etc...

these are just a few examples of many great drivers that can be had for less that $200, maybe even closer to $100 if you scour the internet.

you can go to any big box golf store (if open) near you to go take some swings on their monitor to get an idea of the shaft flex best suited to you.

there are again a large number of great irons available, from 3-5 years old used, that can be had for a few hundred dollars, which when new, we’re probably in the $1000 range.

also keep an eye out for full sets at garage sales or Facebook marketplace, or other local venues...

spend a little time researching clubs on YouTube as there is a wealth of information available. And when you get out and play, don’t be afraid to pick up your ball if you’re mis-hitting a lot, and keep you pace of play even with the group ahead of you and not bog down the group behind you.

Can't you buy some of these older clubs new at some of the big box stores for much less than current retail.  How much difference is there in price between a new say Ping G400 and a used one?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

4 hours ago, HAC said:

Can't you buy some of these older clubs new at some of the big box stores for much less than current retail.  How much difference is there in price between a new say Ping G400 and a used one?

Ahhh Grasshoppah, that’s what the internet is for. Search and you will find what you need to know...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

If you dont know about Maltby clubs log on to the Golfworks.c9m site and do a little shopping. Read the reviews and find a club that suits you. They even have a custom shop that can build you anything.
The will fit your budget but they are anything but budget clubs.
They have clubs for beginners to Tour players. Best deal in golf by a mile.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

i`ve acquired some clubs ,got a used set of Benross VX combo 5 to 9 plus an unbranded pw and sw  also got a Wilson 3 wood and and a 22 degree whatever club hybrid /rescue / ? got them from an old work colleague who plays off 6 hes going to give some basics ..... get rid of my bad habits

So its of for a round today see what happens

Edited by kingfive

When I buy, I buy driver and my main wedge new. With the wedge, I want a fresh club. I use Vokeys and replace my 58 every 3 years-ish. The driver I want a fitting and buying second hand spooks me, never know how much the guy before you beat the hell out of it. Everything else I am ok with ebay. I know what I need, so getting a 2 year old club, or iron set, at an 80% discount is a win by me.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

If you're not overly concerned with fitting at this point, you could also consider taking a look at Facebook marketplace.  You have to be careful about counterfeits when not buying from a legit retailer, but the markup on used clubs is still pretty dang high.  Go to the PGA Value Guide and enter a used club, then compare trade-in value to retail value, and you'll see what I mean.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Ahhh Grasshoppah, that’s what the internet is for. Search and you will find what you need to know...

I search when I am the one doing the buying, not when I am suggesting something to someone else.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, HAC said:

Right now the price of the new G400 has dropped down to $250.  I hit two used ones in GG last week: $229

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor