Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What should I do about my 5 wood?

HAC

Most of my current clubs are fairly new - got new hybrids, irons and wedges in 2018 and a new driver in around 2016.  But, my 5 wood is probably around 11 or so years old.  The thing is, I hit it pretty well and like the club, but there is something gnawing at me that says with all the new technology over the last decade or so, a new 5 wood would be "better."  I am pretty confused about which way to go.  Help???????

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

3 hours ago, HAC said:

Most of my current clubs are fairly new - got new hybrids, irons and wedges in 2018 and a new driver in around 2016.  But, my 5 wood is probably around 11 or so years old.  The thing is, I hit it pretty well and like the club, but there is something gnawing at me that says with all the new technology over the last decade or so, a new 5 wood would be "better."  I am pretty confused about which way to go.  Help???????

Well, there is nothing wrong with playing old equipment. I still play my X Hot fairway woods because nothing at the current price point goes significantly further or straighter than mine. If I get around to it I’ll post a picture, but I have wear marks the size of quarters right on the center of the face. 
I’d just hit some new clubs occasionally and see if any just fit your liking. Lots of private courses of demo days open to the public, so I’d start there if you can find one. I prefer these bc you can watch the ball flight, and some even have trackman available now. If not a big box store can get you an idea of the new offerings, but often don’t have the options a fitter or demo day might have. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

What I do is look at it from a few angles. First if that club meets my distance gap requirement, flies the correct trajectory,  and as a FW is versatile from a variety of situations/lies (rough) than I have no issue gaming it.

I have older 5 woods that fly higher and hold greens better than some of the hot face metal designed current models. I do have newer 5 woods but they roll out a little more.

So I base my decision on the type courses I play and which I need to either hold the green or land short and run out-more total distance. 

5 wood is a club that is used to fill a distance gap and based on your signature your bag is driver, 5 wood, 21* hybrid.     First assessment would be is it about 15 yards longer than your hybrid?   Do you hit is well and have confidence hitting the club?

So if the club fills the right distance gap and you hit it well changing to something new won't provide much benefit.  If you are struggling with it or just want a new club then go for it.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It depends on how you use the 5w. Modern 5 woods can challenge 3 woods for distance, especially lower spin models for normal swing speed players.

If you use the 5w as a safety club off the tee and want more distance, you can probably find that with a new 5w.

You may to consider adding a distance oriented 3w above your 5, and keep the 5 for hitting into greens and distance control?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

5 wood is a club that is used to fill a distance gap and based on your signature your bag is driver, 5 wood, 21* hybrid.     First assessment would be is it about 15 yards longer than your hybrid?   Do you hit is well and have confidence hitting the club?

So if the club fills the right distance gap and you hit it well changing to something new won't provide much benefit.  If you are struggling with it or just want a new club then go for it.  

I hit the club pretty well.  I would say that I hit it on average about 5-15 yards further than my longest hybrid.  If I got a new fairway wood, the goal would be something that I hit more consistently at the higher end of that range.  Of course, some shots are uphill, some are downhill, some with the wind, some against the wind. etc.  So, distances are pretty approximate anyway.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat

2 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

It depends on how you use the 5w. Modern 5 woods can challenge 3 woods for distance, especially lower spin models for normal swing speed players.

If you use the 5w as a safety club off the tee and want more distance, you can probably find that with a new 5w.

You may to consider adding a distance oriented 3w above your 5, and keep the 5 for hitting into greens and distance control?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I hit my 5 wood from the fairway and off the tee on tighter shots with narrower fairways.  I have not hit a 3 wood very well in the past and my current 3 wood resides in my basement and not in my bag.

I replaced my Srixon 5-wood with a Hogan VKTR 18* hybrid with a Recoil Smacwrap F4 shaft. I MURDER this club, tee or deck, with a great trajectory and distance. Consistently straight as well. Much more consistent than the 5-wood all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

If you are like me, then you just buy a new 5-wood because you can't help the itch to buy new equipment. 

Listen to everyone's logical thoughts, not mine.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Why not try a new 5 wood at fitting days or at a fitter. It would certainly answer your question.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Why not try a new 5 wood at fitting days or at a fitter. It would certainly answer your question.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 6/27/2020 at 12:50 PM, Grit Golf said:

You just describe me and make a great point.  While I like playing and hit both my G400 3w and 5w well, I'm finding the distance between them a bit less than I originally thought.  When looking for and test hitting hybrids and woods to fill the gap between my 4i and 3w, the pro/fitter in Yuma suggested a 7w.  I did hit the PING 7w and liked it, but it didn't seem to be carrying far enough. It would pay dividends to go test hit some 5w's and options on either side of that loft/design.... you may be surprised.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, tony@CIC said:

Doing both.  I went to fitting days for Ping and TaylorMade and kind of liked the Ping G410.  So, I asked a pro at my club to round up a few clubs to try (if I was right handed, they would have them on hand, but as a lefty, they have to go to reps).  Given that I have Titleist hybrids and like them a lot, I would like to try them, at least, against the G410 and see what I like best.  

16 hours ago, HAC said:

So, I asked a pro at my club to round up a few clubs to try (if I was right handed, they would have them on hand, but as a lefty, they have to go to reps).  

That's always a problem for us who are in our right minds 😁 

Left Hand orientation