Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putting Statistics

Is putting from the approach a putting or chipping statistic?  What about from the fringe?  In other words, if I use a Texas wedge from 10 feet off the green and then tap in, did I 2 putt?

Coach W

27 minutes ago, CoachW44 said:

Is putting from the approach a putting or chipping statistic?  What about from the fringe?  In other words, if I use a Texas wedge from 10 feet off the green and then tap in, did I 2 putt?

If you look at official statistics,  it has nothing to do with the club you hit;  it is all about where the ball lies.   Unless the ball is touching the green it isn't a putt.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When keeping my own stats, I always assume it's not actually a putt unless it is on the green.

I do sometimes record one from just on the fringe as a putt though, if I use my putter and the grass is short enough, as it just feels more appropriate for my own records.

It’s only a putt if it’s on the green. But I also feel like I’m misrepresenting my stats when I putt from the fringe just off the green. I’d never consider a Texas wedge a putt even though I do it often.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I almost never put even if I am 6" off the green.  Unlike the courses I have played in the US, the green fringe on the courses I play here can be is generally longer and in some cased only 3-4ft wide so controlling roll and distance with a putter can be challenging. The two reasons i choose to chiop are...

1. I generally are deadly accurate. If I leave it more than 3ft from the hole you will hear me swear under my breath.

2. It allows me the option to go high or low with a shot depending on read and the condition of the green.

However it all comes down to confidence. If you are not confident chipping then go with the putter.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001