TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 06.30.2020

Grit Golf

I have been a cleveland wedge fan for years. I am pretty excited to see these.. I think they are going to be awesome. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

19 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I have been a cleveland wedge fan for years. I am pretty excited to see these.. I think they are going to be awesome. 

I have maybe three rounds in with them - very impressed. They spin very nicely and are surprisingly forgiving for a blade-style wedge.  The new shaft is pretty sweet, too...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I have maybe three rounds in with them - very impressed. They spin very nicely and are surprisingly forgiving for a blade-style wedge.  The new shaft is pretty sweet, too...

I am a huge fan of the DG spinner shaft. It works great around greens and on half shots. Full swings, it can get a little loose so I don't think I would play it in a lower lofted wedge like say a 50 degree. but for a 56/60 degree. You bet!

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

25 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I am a huge fan of the DG spinner shaft. It works great around greens and on half shots. Full swings, it can get a little loose so I don't think I would play it in a lower lofted wedge like say a 50 degree. but for a 56/60 degree. You bet!

Agreed, I sure hope they have a different shaft option for the lower lofted wedges.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

TXG just put up an early look/review!

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

35 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

9 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Agreed, I sure hope they have a different shaft option for the lower lofted wedges.

Mentioned it in the article, but this shaft is NOT the DG Spinner. It's a brand new shaft - a joint venture by Cleveland and True Temper. I made the same assumption when talking with Brian Schielke, but it's a unique shaft and does NOT have that hourglass-looking taper in the middle. It's 128 grams - about 4 grams lighter than an S400 - has a similar step/taper profile as an S400, but with a livelier tip for more stopping power. It's official name is the Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue. 

Been trying the 52-56-60 models in Mid sole grinds - versatile enough for what I need and easy to hit from most any lie. The higher and more toe-ward CG adds an interesting level of feel and forgiveness to a cast blade wedge. So far, I like them. 

I'm also trying out the new Edison Forged wedges - will add some pix and thoughts in that thread later. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Mentioned it in the article, but this shaft is NOT the DG Spinner. It's a brand new shaft - a joint venture by Cleveland and True Temper. I made the same assumption when talking with Brian Schielke, but it's a unique shaft and does NOT have that hourglass-looking taper in the middle. It's 128 grams - about 4 grams lighter than an S400 - has a similar step/taper profile as an S400, but with a livelier tip for more stopping power. It's official name is the Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue. 

Been trying the 52-56-60 models in Mid sole grinds - versatile enough for what I need and easy to hit from most any lie. The higher and more toe-ward CG adds an interesting level of feel and forgiveness to a cast blade wedge. So far, I like them. 

I'm also trying out the new Edison Forged wedges - will add some pix and thoughts in that thread later. 

I did not catch that on the first reading of your article. My bad, but now I am even more interested. I really liked the OG spinner. If they have improved it. AWESOME!!

I kinda hate this release - because Im going to have to get these and I've only had my RTX4 for a few weeks now. 🙂

All jokes aside, here's my Buy / Sell on some of the more salient claims:

1. The zip core isn't hollow, its filled with hyper-eutectic aluminum. It allows CG to move weight around to achieve performance benefits.

BUY - I'm buying that this will make a big difference in performance, 16g is a lot, thats 32 inches of lead tape for you old school guys. Its a lot a lot to be able to move around. I never would've guessed that they were going to fill that cavity in, my initial thoughts in chronological order are: Expensive! I don't think that's ever been done (at least inside the head)! and - Clever!

2. They talk about how moving weight up will help with high/low MOI in the MGS article, and while they mention that ZipCore will increase spin, its not stated as a primary advantage. This is the main claim that Edison wedges makes, and its one that appeals to higher handicaps more than low. This isn't as dramatic of a redistribution of weight as the Edison's, so maybe its not dominant, but there should be a slight increase in spin from top to bottom gear effect for all players.

BUY - Cleveland isn't shouting it from the rooftops, but I think these WILL spin more than RTX4, without adding excessive spin for the better player.

3. According to the MGS article, Cleveland is dropping the x low grind because not even tour players could get use of it

BUY - I hated the x low grind when i tried it at my local shop. Mid for me is low enough to open the face and scrape the ball of the tightest lies I see and Im not a wedge wizard.

4. Cleveland is coming out with cross reference charts to find the version of ZipCore that matches up to the vokey/titleist/callaway or previous gen RTX wedge when you switch.

SELL - Vokey has some unique grinds that aren't going to match up exactly 1:1. It's not to say that there isn't a ZipCore wedge that will work, but this one seems like a stretch (its good marketing though).

5. Cleveland has partnered up with True Temper to create the DG Spinner Tour Issue shaft.

??? - I hate the "tour issue" s400 thing, its just a sorted S400. I'd rather they came up with a new name for this new shaft then call it tour issue (especially when its not tour issued, its in fact the opposite, its a stock shaft in a retail stock offering, but I digress). How it performs though? I guess we'll find out in August! What I would buy is that they tuned this new shaft to take advantage of the change in weight distribution of the head.

Edited by Grit Golf

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL HEADS UP BANK ACCOUNT BIG WITHDRAWAL COMING!

Need to replace my RTX 3s

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

The article was by the way!

The article was by the way!

The reference to "Better players" in the article... welp Im out! 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

And if you are still wanting more info, here's an the full official press release from Cleveland.

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – June 30, 2020 – Cleveland Golf is proud to announce their latest flagship wedge, the RTX ZipCore. Cleveland Golf’s RTX ZipCore will launch in North America on Aug. 14, 2020. 

RTX ZipCore is both radically new and ultra-familiar. On the inside, its new core has unlocked design freedoms pushing the performance beyond any wedge in Cleveland Golf’s history. Yet on the outside, the sleek yet traditional design is familiar and inspires confidence at address. 

"Cleveland wedges are always just beautiful looking clubs, and this one is no different,” said 2019 Open Champion Shane Lowry. “They're very traditional and I just love them. You need to be able to trust what your wedges are going to do, and RTX ZipCore does everything I need it to do. I couldn't ask for anything else in a wedge." 

The foundation of RTX ZipCore is a unique, low-density core that sits at the heart of the wedge. This ZipCore makes you better by shifting the center of gravity, while also boosting High-Low MOI for more stability high and low on the wedge face. The result is that ZipCore puts more impacts on the sweet spot for more consistent spin, distance and feel on every shot. 

Furthermore, RTX ZipCore features Cleveland’s new UltiZip Grooves. Compared to previous generations, UltiZip Grooves are 11% sharper and 7.3% deeper, while also being 7.4% closer together for more groove contact area. The combination and optimization of these factors ensure that RTX ZipCore generates increased spin and consistent spin performance from any condition on the course. 

To preserve the lifespan of our grooves, RTX ZipCore also features a new heat treatment to boost durability and maintain spin performance round after round. 

“The new RTX ZipCore is a technological leap forward for Cleveland wedges,” said Jeff Brunski, Vice President of Research and Development. “We’ve inserted a low-density core inside the clubhead, allowing us to create a wedge with unprecedented consistency and exceptional feel. They also feature our tour-proven grinds and most aggressive groove technology to date – all packaged in a sleek yet traditional design.” 

Key Innovations Inside RTX ZipCore: 

• ZipCore: ZipCore shifts the center of gravity while raising MOI, adding spin, enhancing control, and boosting consistency on all your shots.
  • UltiZip Grooves: These grooves are sharper and deeper, delivering maximum spin performance. They bite harder, channel more debris, and they’re closer together for more groove contact on every shot.
  • Heat Treatment: A new heat treatment process increases ZipCore’s durability, delivering better performance over a longer period of time.
  • Tour-Authentic Components: RTX ZipCore comes standard with the new True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue shaft and the most popular grip in golf today with Golf Pride’s Tour Velvet 360.

RTX ZipCore wedges are offered in a wide variety of lofts and sole grinds. The MID Sole grind is offered in 46 through 60 degrees, the LOW Sole grind is offered in 56 through 62 degrees, and the FULL Sole grind is offered in 54 through 60 degrees. The RTX ZipCore is available in Tour Satin, with additional finishes coming later this year. Cleveland’s RTX ZipCore Tour Satin wedges are priced at $149.99 MAP.  

For more detailed information on the RTX ZipCore, please visit: clevelandgolf.com.

RTX ZipCore.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm gonna predict that when these come up for forum testing, they will have the highest participation request of any wedge for 2020/2021. Don't @ me.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

5 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I'm gonna predict that when these come up for forum testing, they will have the highest participation request of any wedge for 2020/2021. Don't @ me.

I’m for sure am going to throw my hat in the ring if they do come up!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I will be getting these for sure..

These look really good and the design sounds impressive.

I need to stick with my CBX2 wedges though...

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 6/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

... As always, great read Barbajo! I kept my original 588 LW for quite a few years until The Iron Factory ruined it. Sent in at D8 and they put the wrong shiny chrome finish on it, so they took it back and applied the correct satin finish. But after 2 refinishes, it came back at C8. My only gripe with Cleveland wedges is they seem to have no idea how to blend a hosel, which should just disappear at address. They have also had a rounded leading edge that works well for many but doesn't fit my eye, especially when opening my LW for a flop shot. Just personal preference of course but I am hoping Cleveland finally went back to a blended hosel and a straighter leading edge for this players version because I would love to play a Cleveland wedge again. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Have to wait for the RAW release, but i will be buying these. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I don't really understand why you have to wait on Raw. It literally requires less effort to make raw wedges. Why does it take longer to get them?? haha

On 7/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, Quigleyd said:

I don't really understand why you have to wait on Raw. It literally requires less effort to make raw wedges. Why does it take longer to get them?? haha

supposedly all RAW wedges will be tour spec. tighter tolerances may have something to do with it. 

i'm sure the chrome will be the best seller regardless, so maybe that's what they want on the market first. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

8 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

supposedly all RAW wedges will be tour spec. tighter tolerances may have something to do with it. 

i'm sure the chrome will be the best seller regardless, so maybe that's what they want on the market first. 

You may be right. I don't know.. Sounds like a way to just charge more...