jroot327

Purchasing New Irons... Opinions please!

Our Sponsors

Longtime reader, first time really posting here. I am in the market for new irons. For a little background I play to about a 10 and am a decent ball striker. If I could get my short game in order I would probably play into lower single digits. Anyways, I've never been fit for irons and am doing that Wednesday. I currently game TM Rocketbladez Tour. I am looking to go forged, and into something a little more forgiving than blades. I had aspirations to learn to work the ball a bit more, but time doesn't allow for that kind of practice to be able to pull them all off. After a lot of research, and hitting some clubs I've narrowed it down to Srixon z585 (maybe combo w/ 785, but again I don't think the "workability" is that important for me) and Mizuno 919 Forged. Is one more forgiving that the other? Any preferences? I am fairly steep and really like what I hear about the Srixon sole which could be what makes the difference for me. Problem is both demo days I was going to got rained out and I'll only be able to try these of the mat. TIA!

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus 9* PX HZRDUS Black Smoke 60 - 6.5

:ping-small: G410 3w 14.5* Alta CB Red 65

:ping-small: G410 3h 19* Alta CB Red 70

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW Modus 120x 
:cleveland-small: CG15 56*, RTX-3 60*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach SOFT 11C
:srixon-small: Z-Star

I have played both and I used to be kind of steep in my swing as well.  The Srixons  were a bit better with turf interaction.   But they both offer about the same amount of forgiveness.   

Can't go wrong either way.  Just a word of caution.  Mizuno is completely out of stock of the 919Forged.  So custom orders aren't being taken.   Since the new line is coming late summer/early fall.  So you'd be limited to whatever specs your shop has on hand.  Unless you go through an online retailer that may have more selections. 

585 are also being replaced around the same time.  But not sure on the custom availability there.  

Good luck.  Both are great irons. 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Good you have a general idea of what you're looking for, but keep a open mind to lots more. Not Forged, but ping i210 are fantastic (we have some good reviews of them here) tm p760 are a favorite of mine. Not to mention all your other bigger names Callaway and Titleist... I haven't hit the new Forged Tec from Cobra but loved previous versions of those as well. 

Hopefully your fitter can narrow down a head that works well and then focus in on shaft for you. I know that has made the biggest change to my game and ball striking!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing what you get into and of course some pictures of them when they arrive!

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

23 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have played both and I used to be kind of steep in my swing as well.  The Srixons  were a bit better with turf interaction.   But they both offer about the same amount of forgiveness.   

Can't go wrong either way.  Just a word of caution.  Mizuno is completely out of stock of the 919Forged.  So custom orders aren't being taken.   Since the new line is coming late summer/early fall.  So you'd be limited to whatever specs your shop has on hand.  Unless you go through an online retailer that may have more selections. 

585 are also being replaced around the same time.  But not sure on the custom availability there.  

Good luck.  Both are great irons. 

Good to know that. It could put a damper on those if I wind up fitting in that head better. How about HMB? Any experience there?

21 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

Good you have a general idea of what you're looking for, but keep a open mind to lots more. Not Forged, but ping i210 are fantastic (we have some good reviews of them here) tm p760 are a favorite of mine. Not to mention all your other bigger names Callaway and Titleist... I haven't hit the new Forged Tec from Cobra but loved previous versions of those as well. 

Hopefully your fitter can narrow down a head that works well and then focus in on shaft for you. I know that has made the biggest change to my game and ball striking!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing what you get into and of course some pictures of them when they arrive!

I'll definitely update once I decide what to go with. Although I have it narrowed down to those 2 for my short list, others on my radar are HMB, Apex, Forged Tec. I like Ping too, but I'm not sure if the i210s are in the same forgiveness category I'm looking for? Also, should the fitter find head or shaft first?

Srixon’s get consistently good reviews, I’m just a Mizuno feel fanboy. I play JPX900 Forged irons and love them. If I was in the market today, I’d have to wait to see the JPX921 Forged irons due this Fall (though SARS-CoV-2 could delay rollout?). YMMV

But you can’t go wrong with your short list IMO, you’ll know after trying both at length. Good luck.

• Like 1

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

Srixon’s get consistently good reviews, I’m just a Mizuno feel fanboy. I play JPX900 Forged irons and love them. If I was in the market today, I’d have to wait to see the JPX921 Forged irons due this Fall (though SARS-CoV-2 could delay rollout?). YMMV

But you can’t go wrong with your short list IMO, you’ll know after trying both at length. Good luck.

Yeah, the Covid stuff I think already delayed Srixon's launch. Plus I like the look of the 2018 z series better than the new pics that came out recently. For Mizuno, the price discount getting the 19s if they're available would probably have me lean that way. Any time hitting HMBs?

I think youre on the right track for sure. Make sure you get custom fit. Youre good enough (it seems) to see a difference from the most appropriate equipment.

Take a look at the TM 790's. The turf interaction will be different than the 760's. Im in the market as well at a 12.5 index. Looking at the Ping i210's and the Ping i500's too. Mizuno makes awesome clubs. I havent hit the Srixon's yet but heard new ones are coming soon.

• Like 1

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

19 minutes ago, jroot327 said:

I'll definitely update once I decide what to go with. Although I have it narrowed down to those 2 for my short list, others on my radar are HMB, Apex, Forged Tec. I like Ping too, but I'm not sure if the i210s are in the same forgiveness category I'm looking for? Also, should the fitter find head or shaft first?

I would be looking for head then shaft because a shaft can act differently depending on the head. The i210s are definitely in a similar forgiveness category as the apex and 919's. 

I  guessing you're going to a good fitter so they will hopefully go through everything and listen to your input as well as work with you to find what's best overall. Hard to go wrong with your initial thoughts and srixon is a fantastic product so have fun enjoy it and looks like you're getting lots more feedback here which is great!

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

32 minutes ago, jroot327 said:

Yeah, the Covid stuff I think already delayed Srixon's launch. Plus I like the look of the 2018 z series better than the new pics that came out recently. For Mizuno, the price discount getting the 19s if they're available would probably have me lean that way. Any time hitting HMBs?

Asking me? You may have noticed I have an HMB 3i with my JPX900F 4-GW. Maybe not a fair judge since it’s my lowest loft iron, but I’d say the HMB is a touch less forgiving than my 4i with no improvement in feel. IOW I wouldn’t expect to like a set of HMB’s over my 900F’s. But I suspect you’re a more consistent ball striker than I am.

• Like 1

Great choices but I would keep an open mind and try to leave any biases from creeping in. Don’t look at the head or shaft the fitter gives you.

Just hit the ball and provide detailed and honest feedback 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You probably want to look at something in the player's cavity back segment.  Theres lots of great options there, although Im partial to the Titleist 720 CBs.  

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

56 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Great choices but I would keep an open mind and try to leave any biases from creeping in. Don’t look at the head or shaft the fitter gives you.

Just hit the ball and provide detailed and honest feedback 

Nothing wrong with that advice, but some of us aren't brand agnostic - and it's a factor in our decision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jroot327 said:

Good to know that. It could put a damper on those if I wind up fitting in that head better. How about HMB? Any experience there?

I only demoed them briefly one day.  Didn't hit them great.  Some of that was me, but they are definitely a more demanding  club than the other two. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jroot327 said:

Don't get caught up in the USGA photos of the new Zseries from Srixon.  There will be cosmetic changes when they hit retail.   The OEM don't want to show the finished product before the official launch. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I only demoed them briefly one day.  Didn't hit them great.  Some of that was me, but they are definitely a more demanding  club than the other two. 

Good to know. That was kinda my concern. I'll hit them and see how it goes.

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Don't get caught up in the USGA photos of the new Zseries from Srixon.  There will be cosmetic changes when they hit retail.   The OEM don't want to show the finished product before the official launch. 

I hear ya, but another factor is I am playing Whistling Staights in Sept. and want to get these and some golf in before that so I'm ready to go too. So I'll be pulling the trigger on something this week I think.

1 hour ago, Middler said:

some of us aren't brand agnostic - and it's a factor in our decision.

... There are just so many not good but great options available today. Every single OEM offers an array of irons to fit any ability requirements. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play any OEMs clubs our being a fanboy. 10 years ago this was not the case, but today you can choose from Srixon, Mizuno, TaylorMade, Titleist, Ping, Wilson and Callaway and they all have a club for every level of player and every preference. 

... This is a golf forum so asking for suggestions is never a bad idea and always fun, but give me 25 different golfers looking at Z785, 919 Forged, P760, T100/T100--S, i210, FG Tour V6 and Apex Pro and everyone of those irons will be selected as The Best.  

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Nothing wrong with that advice, but some of us aren't brand agnostic - and it's a factor in our decision.

Nothing wrong with that way but you assumed I was only talking about brand. But the op lists two options so it’s better to be open minded and not let any preconceived notions about a brand, the look or which head from brand is the one the fitter handed you. especially if considering a combo set or not sure if the 5x5 or 7x5 would be better for them. One can change their swing based on the type of head in their hands as well as shaft to include flex.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have the MIzuno HMBs, but just went in the opposite direction and bought some Callaway Mavrik Max irons.  However, I am a terrible ball striker.  I think someone who is a decent ball striker can easily play the Mizunos.  When I demo'd the Mizunos, I was swinging well and getting good results.  I've since resorted to my old bad ball striking. I've decided the next time I get fit for irons, I'm going to bring impact tape and compare the numbers on bad strikes on the different irons I'm testing.  After all, they all give good results when hit in the sweet spot.  Oh, and I am keeping the Mizunos in case the lessons I've started noticeably improve my ball striking--they are some sweet looking and feeling irons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jroot327 said:

Good to know. That was kinda my concern. I'll hit them and see how it goes.

I hear ya, but another factor is I am playing Whistling Staights in Sept. and want to get these and some golf in before that so I'm ready to go too. So I'll be pulling the trigger on something this week I think.

Ah. Love that place.  Defintely a round you want to have your best gear for! 

Hopefully you'll find on of the two avaibale this week.