TESTERS WANTED! ×

Beginning again

If I were in your shoes I would get the Callaway Edge set from Costco. Super solid clubs at an amazing price.

From there, when you really start to find your swing you can think about moving pieces in and out of that set based on what is or isn’t working for you. That set is very hard to beat in price and total packaging and it works well together. The risk of buying used gear piecemeal is you risk mismatching things or buying things that won’t work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

If I were in your shoes I would get the Callaway Edge set from Costco. Super solid clubs at an amazing price.

From there, when you really start to find your swing you can think about moving pieces in and out of that set based on what is or isn’t working for you. That set is very hard to beat in price and total packaging and it works well together. The risk of buying used gear piecemeal is you risk mismatching things or buying things that won’t work for you.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Welcome back to golf! Depending on your price point there are a lot of options out there. The boxed sets are decent value these days, and aren’t as bad as they used to be. If it were me though I would go to a PGA Superstore or some other retailer that carries used sets. They will do a decent job of fitting you into a set. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I second the Callaway Edge set... a mate of mine started out with it, and he hasn't changed a thing yet.  2nd Seing and Global Golf are very reliable, and the prices are very good.  I've heard great things about Callaway Preowned also.  Congrats on taking golf up again!

If you can get to a PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, or Dicks they can get you fit. You just really need to know if you can use a standard set, meaning, shaft flex and length. If you are standard then you can shop around. The Callaway  Edge as previously reccomended is a good start. You can even find good deals in pawn shops. Full  sets with bag and all can go for $125.00 or less. You just need to know what you are looking at. Look the model up on line to see what they are worth and how they were rated. Sometimes you can find sets for sale  posted on the buliten board at golf courses or you local golf shop. My local golf shop sells used sets for people I'm sure there are some in your area that do the same thing.

Congrats for getting back in the game, good luck on your club search.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I would go try some clubs at a big box store just to get an idea of what flex shaft generally works for you.  If a regular flex works for you, I would also recommend the callaway edge set at costco.  If not, checking out second hand shops works great.  Not sure where you're from but in so cal there are stores called Play It Again Sports and they are basically a second hand sports equipment store.  I picked up a set of titleist DCI for about $100, a used bag for $40, and a putter for about that.  Basically, get something cheap so that you can work on your swing first before getting shiny new equipment.

If you have a lot of disposable income, look at any of MGS most wanted lists for your set, go get fitted, learn to hit those clubs, and enjoy.

9 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

Here is a video review

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I'll second the recommendations for used sets. You can pick up some fairly new, recent-tech clubs dirt cheap because so many want the latest and greatest. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game