TESTERS WANTED! ×

PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow: Small Batch -vs- OEM

I just bought a PXG 0811XF Gen2 driver with the PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (6.0).

It does not say ‘small batch’ and I’m assuming it is a made for version of the small batch. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone have any info on the specs for this shaft (if different)?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Small batch refers to the TX version of the hzrdus smoke line. There are currently no made for hzrdus shafts in either smoke or original version

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I was coming here to ask the same question.... I just purchased a new Titleist TS3 with the smoke yellow. This week I saw the small batch version which is $300 compared to the standard version that can be purchased new for around $100.

Whats the difference? Is the small batch that much better?

Roll Tide

It just means tighter tolerances, which does require more handling and higher labor costs, but they definitely slap a premium on it for the name and exclusivity too. Same thing as Tour Issue versions of Dynamic Gold I assume. 

I doubt it matters much for normal golfers, some Pros have their equipment so in-tuned that the extra tight tolerance gives them confidence that a new shaft in a club or in their back up clubs won't change their preferred set up (i.e., with club speeds, launch angles, etc.)

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

8 hours ago, bacchus said:

It just means tighter tolerances, which does require more handling and higher labor costs, but they definitely slap a premium on it for the name and exclusivity too. Same thing as Tour Issue versions of Dynamic Gold I assume. 

I doubt it matters much for normal golfers, some Pros have their equipment so in-tuned that the extra tight tolerance gives them confidence that a new shaft in a club or in their back up clubs won't change their preferred set up (i.e., with club speeds, launch angles, etc.)

There are no higher labor costs. All the shafts are made in their Asian factory. The px Hzrdu smoke shafts are still a premium after market shaft this when buying from an aftermarket dealer one will pay for the price of the shaft. PX has worked with the various club companies to have their shafts offered as stock. 

If one pays for the small batch shaft that is the 6.5tx in most cases. There are some non 6.5tx shafts that have small batch label.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I remember going into detail about this in one of the other shaft threads.  

Small batch is hand rolled by Larry in San Diego.  Regular version is factory made.  Same exact shaft profile and materials, but the small batch has some extra care and attention.  

:titelist-small:   :projectx:

8 minutes ago, Slater said:

Small batch is hand rolled by Larry in San Diego.  Regular version is factory made.  Same exact shaft profile and materials, but the small batch has some extra care and attention.  

Nothing is rolled in San Diego anymore.  While the Handcrafted stuff was rolled in San Diego, the Small Batch stuff is now made in Asia somewhere.

1 hour ago, Slater said:

Jlukes nailed it. Larry was one of a handful of rollers in San Diego which is why I chuckle when people talk about tighter tolerances. There’s going to be some tolerance difference between each person that rolls a shaft.

53 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Nothing is rolled in San Diego anymore.  While the Handcrafted stuff was rolled in San Diego, the Small Batch stuff is now made in Asia somewhere.

I believe they are made in the same factory as the rest of the px graphite shafts.

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Jlukes nailed it. Larry was one of a handful of rollers in San Diego which is why I chuckle when people talk about tighter tolerances. There’s going to be some tolerance difference between each person that rolls a shaft.

I believe they are made in the same factory as the rest of the px graphite shafts.

The funny thing is the tolerances weren't any better, it was just that after the shafts were made they were measured more precisely and labeled as such.

Non hand crafted Hzrdus yellow 6.0 63g are all labeled 63g regardless if they weight 62, 63, 64 or even 65g

handcrafted hzrdus yellow 6.0 are labeled with the precise weight.  So you might see a hand crafted shaft labeled 62g or 64g.

The profile of the shaft is exactly the same.

Kudos to PX on the marketing job they do with handcrafted/small batch.

22 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The funny thing is the tolerances weren't any better, it was just that after the shafts were made they were measured more precisely and labeled as such.

Non hand crafted Hzrdus yellow 6.0 63g are all labeled 63g regardless if they weight 62, 63, 64 or even 65g

handcrafted hzrdus yellow 6.0 are labeled with the precise weight.  So you might see a hand crafted shaft labeled 62g or 64g.

The profile of the shaft is exactly the same.

Kudos to PX on the marketing job they do with handcrafted/small batch.

They are really good at it and some people were convinced they felt the difference between an HC and a non and that they performed differently but had  launch monitor data supporting it. The mind is a funny thing

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are really good at it and some people were convinced they felt the difference between an HC and a non and that they performed differently but had  launch monitor data supporting it. The mind is a funny thing

It is tapping the very essence of branding and price point.  Golf equipment that is marketed as being more unique and "better" as well as being priced higher will really have that impact on a lot of consumers