TESTERS WANTED! ×

CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

Good luck with your progress.  Look forward to seeing the highs and lows as you work your way to better golf.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

There are a few threads detailing individuals paths to getting better.  Some want to break into the 80s,  some want to be single digit, some are trying to achieve scratch golf,  I am trying to get to the low single digits.  I thought it might be a good idea to report on my progress and what I am doing to play better golf;  hopefully someone finds it interesting; if not it will just be my own blog that I can use as a reference.  🙂    

About me: 

I have been playing golf on and off since I was in my early teens but stopped and started many times since then.  Finally started to play regularly in the 90s which happened to be roughly where I was scoring.  Took a bunch of lessons and worked my handicap down to a 4 in roughly the 05-10 timeframe and shot a personal best 70 and have about a dozen rounds of 71/72.   Over the last 5/6 years my game has been going the wrong direction and scores that were typically mid 70s are now low to mid 80s.   My short game was a big mess and after a lesson last year it has started to get better but still needs some improvement.     

I play with a regular group weekly and play in my companies golf league.  My recent golf league results are what really set this journey forward.   We play 9 holes in league play and my last three rounds have been +15, +14 and +9 and I know I can play better golf.   As a result,  I reached out to my instructor and said I wanted to get better at the game. 

How I think:  

For those reading these posts,  this is probably an important thing to understand.   I really like to understand the details and learn as much as I can about a subject.   I did this with putting;  I found a coach that helped me understand how the putting stroke works and how my decisions impact the stroke.  I learn the mechanics but move toward the feel side of the scale when actually playing.  Now,  my goal is to learn more about the golf swing and strategy to playing better

Initial Goals:

• Get my scoring average to 75
  • Break 70
  • Improve course strategy
  • Improve approach game (struggle with pull hooks, toe shots, and fat shots)
  • Improve short game (still isn't where I want it to be)
  • Improve distance wedges
  • Improve iron distance control (in between distances)

Initial assessment:

I went for an initial swing assessment on the 20th.  The assessment we did is based on Mike Adams swing dynamics.   I learned about Mike Adams last year on an episode of the Golf Channels Swing Expedition with Chris Como.  Essentially you go through a series of tests and based on the results of those tests it determines how you should swing.  This assessment includes what your swing pivots around,  grip (strong/weak, over, under, side),  swing plane,  stance width,  etc.    For the way I process things,  it was ideal.   Based on this assessment, I am a front post, side-on grip and release, launch.spin golfer.    Once this was determined,  we went through a series of drills to help work on ingraining the feels and to work on ground impact location.   

Early results:

Since the assessment,  I have played 2 rounds and done a couple of most wanted testing sessions.  The approach seems to be working;  I have been making more centered contact, less fat shots, and narrowed shot dispersion.  It is interesting that my short game has shown significant improvement over the last two weeks as well.    Last two rounds have been 79 and 80 and the swing changes seem to be a step in the right direction.  

Future plans:

Obviously I will continue to work on the practice drills.   Since iron testing is getting under way at MGS,   I will be hitting lots of iron shots a couple of times a week.    From a lesson perspective,  it looks like I will be doing one in-person lesson a month and a couple of online lessons per month to answer questions, check on drills, and develop course strategy.  

Will be an interesting journey. Difficult when you know what you once were and need to adapt. Good luck and will be following along 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Very cool.  Having played a few rounds with you, and seeing such a smooth swing, it's hard to imagine you struggling like you have been. 

I'm sure you'll get it back on track and be even better!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Sounds like an interesting journey, and I will be following your progress.

I was wondering how iron testing results will be impacted by your lessons/training.  What if you have an AHA moment in the middle of it, and you have better results at one session vs others?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can totally relate to needing to understand how a certain task works (putting for example), then practice it, then find a feel to carry onto the course. I finally figured out how my 7 iron swing should work (for now) and crystallized it to one on the course thought. I went from 0-1 GIR/round to a 2 handicap approach shots (arccos) once I locked it in and switched to single length clubs.

The Mike Adams thing sounds well thought out and super interesting. I’m subscribing to this one to follow along. I have the same goal as you (single digit) but where I’m starting from it’s much more ambitious :).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

31 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I was wondering how iron testing results will be impacted by your lessons/training.  What if you have an AHA moment in the middle of it, and you have better results at one session vs others?

I don't think it will be any different that having a bad day hitting the balls.  I have had days in the past where I wasn't hitting the ball very well and I know it wasn't the clubs.  I don't know much about how they actually measure the data,  but I am sure that is why they have lots of testers and randomize the order.  I know that during the testing Harry and Sam have provided help to some of the higher handicap testers to help them hit the ball better.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Following; love your approach, and we're chasing the same thing...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Awesome. Will be fun to follow along. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Good luck!  Many here would not know that @cnosil was the one person I reached out to regarding my putting struggles earlier this season.  He has consistently demonstrated a higher than normal IQ when responding to and diagnosing putting issues among members.

I have no doubt that you can accomplish this goal.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Good luck!  Many here would not know that [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] was the one person I reached out to regarding my putting struggles earlier this season.  He has consistently demonstrated a higher than normal IQ when responding to and diagnosing putting issues among members.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment, but my putting knowledge can from a great instructor that taught an approach that clicked for me. I just try to pass some of what he taught me along.

As for the golf improvement, I know I can achieve this goal but haven’t been able to do it myself. Finding a good instructor can work wonders for your game.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good luck!  Many here would not know that [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] was the one person I reached out to regarding my putting struggles earlier this season.  He has consistently demonstrated a higher than normal IQ when responding to and diagnosing putting issues among members.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment, but my putting knowledge can from a great instructor that taught an approach that clicked for me. I just try to pass some of what he taught me along. Putting and putters has always been my favorite part of the game so it has gotten most of my focus.

As for the golf improvement, I know I can achieve this goal but haven’t been able to do it myself. Finding a good instructor can work wonders for your game.

Where did you find the instructor? Local?

I’d like to get my swing checked out.

I worked with him many years ago; thought he got out of the lesson business but learned that he hadn’t through his posts here. He is local to me but trying to establish an online coaching presence; I am sure if you reach out to [mention=69065]edteergolf[/mention] on the forum and he can give you more info on what he is doing.

He and I click on our thought process and could talk to him all day about golf and how to improve. I highly recommend him, but also realize not all instructors work for everyone.

Please note that I am not getting any compensation from Ed by taking about my process and passing his name along.

I worked with him many years ago; thought he got out of the lesson business but learned that he hadn’t through his posts here. He is local to me but trying to establish an online coaching presence; I am sure if you reach out to [mention=69065]edteergolf[/mention] on the forum and he can give you more info on what he is doing.

He and I click on our thought process and could talk to him all day about golf and how to improve. I highly recommend him, but also realize not all instructors work for everyone.

Please note that I am not getting any compensation from Ed by taking about my process and passing his name along.

Sounds good to me. I watched some YouTube videos on his methods. Seems to fit my thought process too. I mess around with the different grips and such as it is.

Thanks for the info.

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Nice.  IMO, he regularly posts some of the most insightful and valuable information on this forum.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Just curious as I don't have a specific practice plan (but probably should), and don't give away any proprietary info, but re: your practice plan -- about how many different drills are there, about how many reps for each, about how frequently should you run though it, etc...? Thx

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

36 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Just curious as I don't have a specific practice plan (but probably should), and don't give away any proprietary info, but re: your practice plan -- about how many different drills are there, about how many reps for each, about how frequently should you run though it, etc...? Thx

I have 8 drills that cover 4 major areas.  

Low point drill and contact drill have to be done in a place to allow for full swing.  I Have to do these outside or when I am testing at MGS. Need to do them more but I am doing these a couple of times a week.  the other drills are easily done inside and I spend about 20 minutes running through them. No specific number of reps and sometime I just grab a club and do the drills when I want a break during the day.  They are slow motion and used to help train feel and positions. 

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have 8 drills that cover 4 major areas.

Sounds good, thx. And sounds like this coach has been really helpful to you .. I'll keep him in mind!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Today was another session of players distance iron testing club of the day was 7 irons.   Part of my goal was to work on ball center contact, not making too big of a swing, and not really going after the ball.   Contact was decent and as you can see from some of my numbers a bit on the toe, but definitely playable.    Tomorrow; unless it rains,  I will be playing in a league match.  

IMG_0533.JPG.fb59c532f170c445e443715e359ab542.JPG

League night:  scored horribly (8 over).   From the tees we play for league,  most of the holes are driver/wedge and the Par 3's are 9 iron or less.   Really struggled with fat shots when hitting distance wedges.  Hit some 7 irons to check where I was entering the ground; used a little foot spray to help.  In the image below I worked from top to bottom and you can see the first few were definitely fat.  Getting better with center face contact,  but low point control is a struggle.  

IMG_0534.JPG.3238bb4d22740724d78d5b5838e21d42.JPG

I will be following along.  I too have been struggling lately.  My handicap is starting to creep in the wrong direction as well.  I like the idea of blogging it! 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

My regular group wasn't able to play today so I took that as an opportunity to hit the range.    Need some better foot powder since ground/grass impact rubbed everything off making it hard to determine exact impact.   Some of the key things that seem to significantly impact my results:

1.  Backswing length.   Too long and fats/off center seem to be more in play
  2. Alignment.  I have a tendency to setup closed which seems to bring more pushes/pull hooks into play.  
  3. Aim identification.   Occasionally i had the tendency to not lock a target into my mind before swinging.  When I thought about where I wanted the ball to go,  results were much better.   This is an issue about lack of focus that I need to make sure i pay attention too when actually playing
  4. Just slowing down and having better tempo.  As I think back to my testing at MGS, this seems to be an overall problem.   During testing, my warmup shots appear to be much better overall (contact, face impact location, etc).   

Basically 1 and 4 point to the fact I am trying to hit the ball too hard.   Need to focus on a relaxed even tempo swing. 

Experimented with distances wedges and it appears that my results are much better using my 51* gap wedge instead of my 54* sand wedge.  Going to switch my primary short game club.  

Going to try and get a couple of most wanted testing sessions in before my next on course round.  

Interesting self-critiquing .. and *NOT* comparing our games in any way, but those points you listed do seem very applicable to where I'm currently at - and I especially like the point about focus; only small change is I tend to set up a touch open when I rush/am not careful. I also need to work on hitting the ball better vs harder.

Glad to hear about your on-going progress!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Interesting self-critiquing .. and *NOT* comparing our games in any way, but those points you listed do seem very applicable to where I'm currently at - and I especially like the point about focus; only small change is I tend to set up a touch open when I rush/am not careful. I also need to work on hitting the ball better vs harder.

Glad to hear about your on-going progress!

The focus thing is really interesting.  We always hear mental coaches discussing that you shouldn't think about the water or the hazard as your last thought because that is what you are thinking about.   When I struggle,  I pick out a tree or a stake or like today I was looking at a gap between some trees at the end of the fairway.  I believe that subconciously we make the ball go to that point.  I see this also when I am putting;  if someone talks about a spot left of right of the hole,  that is where I tend to have my ball end up which is why I think about the speed along a curve that ends up at the hole.  

The backswing and alignment was something my instructor pointed out last time we got together. 

As I titled the thread,  it is a journey and I don't expect to put everything together right away.  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:
  1. Aim identification.   Occasionally i had the tendency to not lock a target into my mind before swinging.  When I thought about where I wanted the ball to go,  results were much better.   This is an issue about lack of focus that I need to make sure i pay attention too when actually playing
  2. Just slowing down and having better tempo.  As I think back to my testing at MGS, this seems to be an overall problem.   During testing, my warmup shots appear to be much better overall (contact, face impact location, etc).   

My HI is higher than yours and I’m guilty of all four of your points - but could you expand on “aim identification?” While I have a target in mind, I aim in taking my stance, and don’t think about it after that. I’ve read about visualizing each shot, but I’ve never done that - I assume if I have the right club and I line up correctly, aim is done?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Great stuff so far @cnosil, I'm really enjoying how you're breaking down each goal you want to achieve and how you're implementing a plan to achieve each goal. As someone who struggles with both alignment and low point, it'll be educational to see how you tackle those problems. I've seen the drill with foot spray, but have never used it, you just inspired me to give it a go. Best of luck to you in this journey!