TESTERS WANTED! ×

CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

So... something I work on is:

set up in a range where you could reach the green with a specific wedge.  But do not try to get the ball there.  Instead make a half swing and see how far it goes. Then another half swing, and another.  If they are all pretty well grouped together, pace it off and that is your half swing shot.  But you have to take out any expectations.  So if you make a half swing with the 56° and it goes 45 yards on average, write that down.  Don’t “try to hit a distance” let the strike determine “your” distance.  

My PW with a super narrow stance and stopping at the knees is a 40ish yard pitch. A little wider with a 3/4 swing is 100 yards.

then move to 3/4 see if they are all grouped together. Don’t focus on getting the ball to a specific target.  Just work on the distance but let the club tell you how far it will hit the ball, then work from there.

This is pretty much what I am doing except I am using a launch monitor. The data has been key to helping figure out what I am doing. This is why we started the 2x4 drill and working on body turn to control speed and not getting to much hands involved.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slack in my practice; lazy and weather.    I need to get some video of my short game swing to send to my coach.   Been getting a little full swing work in as part of most wanted testing.  I have adjusted my setup to get my path a bit more neutral.  Have moved from the 6 degree range to about 3 degrees.  Face control is better as well.   Seems to be paying off as I have hit a few more greens and have had less offline approaches the past couple of weeks.  The nice thing about better approach shots it that it takes pressure off the short game.    Instead of the 30y pitches due to fat shots,  I am hitting shots from more around the green and can use 9 irons to have a shorter more controlled swing.    

Wrapping up most wanted testing for the year on Wednesday so I will try and go in and do some intense short game work.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 10/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, Shankster said:

So... something I work on is:

set up in a range where you could reach the green with a specific wedge.  But do not try to get the ball there.  Instead make a half swing and see how far it goes. Then another half swing, and another.  If they are all pretty well grouped together, pace it off and that is your half swing shot.  But you have to take out any expectations.  So if you make a half swing with the 56° and it goes 45 yards on average, write that down.  Don’t “try to hit a distance” let the strike determine “your” distance.  

My PW with a super narrow stance and stopping at the knees is a 40ish yard pitch. A little wider with a 3/4 swing is 100 yards.

then move to 3/4 see if they are all grouped together. Don’t focus on getting the ball to a specific target.  Just work on the distance but let the club tell you how far it will hit the ball, then work from there.

There is a great video on short game basics on TXG where they do this on a launch monitor and much more with Gareth Raflewski, he even says that the people he works with write the 1/2, 3/4, and full short distances for each club and stick it to your club so you don't even need to remember them.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

There is a great video on short game basics on TXG where they do this on a launch monitor and much more with Gareth Raflewski, he even says that the people he works with write the 1/2, 3/4, and full short distances for each club and stick it to your club so you don't even need to remember them.

Knowing your distances is key as well as knowing dispersion patterns and being able to make good contact. I know and understand these things and can do them in controlled environments. The problem is the bad shot that happens on the course. When we hit that shot when getting fitted or calculating distances we call It an outlier and delete it. On the course it still counts.

I carry this in my pocket for distance references. I need to update it based on swing improvements and new clubs. IMG_0595.jpg

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Knowing your distances is key as well as knowing dispersion patterns and being able to make good contact. I know and understand these things and can do them in controlled environments. The problem is the bad shot that happens on the course. When we hit that shot when getting fitted or calculating distances we call It an outlier and delete it. On the course it still counts.

I carry this in my pocket for distance references. I need to update it based on swing improvements and new clubs. IMG_0595.jpg

That's a great addition to add. Actually one of the things that annoyed me from the Arccos system was the inability to remove those outliers. I know with enough data this would sort itself out, but early on it makes the data tough to work with. any punch outs an such mess with those distances early on. Wish you could remove them to see update averages.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The problem is the bad shot that happens on the course. When we hit that shot when getting fitted or calculating distances we call It an outlier and delete it. On the course it still counts.

^ That is so key!!

A little off-topic, but one way (in addition to lessons + practice) I'm looking to improve on the course is working to make the bad shots less bad...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

^ That is so key!!
A little off-topic, but one way (in addition to lessons + practice) I'm looking to improve on the course is working to make the bad shots less bad...

Not off topic at all. I am doing the same thing. My doubles come from having multiple pitch/chips on the same hole. This is why I was told to use 9 iron as much as possible when around the green; the exception being when it really isn’t practical. Basically if I hit a bad shot the hope is that it isn’t too bad. The strategy has worked the past couple of rounds as I have avoided the double pitch. Still hitting some bad ones but I am getting on the green.

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not off topic at all. I am doing the same thing. My doubles come from having multiple pitch/chips on the same hole. This is why I was told to use 9 iron as much as possible when around the green; the exception being when it really isn’t practical. Basically if I hit a bad shot the hope is that it isn’t too bad. The strategy has worked the past couple of rounds as I have avoided the double pitch. Still hitting some bad ones but I am getting on the green.

I have been doing this.... had 91 in the other day, took a 3/4 gap wedge and hit the dang thing 145 yards.... why?  Thinned. But I did it agin 2 holes later, hitting a PW 162 over the back of a par 3...

my big scores usually come from an OB tee shot.

Really like your distance chart.

Really like your distance chart.

I do too; I reference it for all shots. Just measure the distance, make adjustments based on conditions, pull the chart out of my pocket, and then select a club.

I’ve changed my approach to the partial wedges based on lesson so I need to build a new one. I’ll probably do more partial shots when I redo the chart I’m the next month or so.

Time goes by so quickly. I am being really slack with practicing my short game. Need to get some video to send to my instructor and hoping to get back to MGS to use the GC quad to see if the swing drills are helping. Or I just need to get motivated and head to the practice area at a local course.

Have started doing some work on my putting; distance control is pretty good but feel like I am missing my startline on occasion. Exputt is showing this as well. Wondering if the Odyssey just isn’t the right putter for me. Going back through my putting foundations to check vision and setup to get myself baselined. Been doing the work indoors but want to get to a putting green to double check the results with a real hole.

Need to find some motivation to get myself to the course to practice. Or buy myself a net so I could just walk outside.

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Time goes by so quickly. I am being really slack with practicing my short game. Need to get some video to send to my instructor and hoping to get back to MGS to use the GC quad to see if the swing drills are helping. Or I just need to get motivated and head to the practice area at a local course.

Have started doing some work on my putting; distance control is pretty good but feel like I am missing my startline on occasion. Exputt is showing this as well. Wondering if the Odyssey just isn’t the right putter for me. Going back through my putting foundations to check vision and setup to get myself baselined. Been doing the work indoors but want to get to a putting green to double check the results with a real hole.

Need to find some motivation to get myself to the course to practice. Or buy myself a net so I could just walk outside.

Nothing is better than on course practice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to get back to working on my short game.   Spent some time at MGS headquarters capturing data for my distance wedges and shot some video of my swing to send to my instructor to get some feedback.   

My quick observations were that my path was a better and while my face was still closed it wasn't as closed.  Toe is way down at impact so I may need to do some lie angle adjustments.   Swing is to long for the distance I am trying to hit the ball.   

Hope to hear back from my instructor in a couple of days to see what he recommends. 

• 3 weeks later...

Took a little longer than expected to hear back from my instructor on the numbers and videos I sent but I got feedback and based on the feedback,  we decided an in person lesson was needed.  Unless you can live stream, what we did during the lesson cannot be replicated via recoded video.  

Based on what I sent the identified issues were: the swing was to long for the 40 yard shot I was hitting, the arms got out of sequence with the body, and a bit too much front loading too early.    

Early discussions involved the distance gaps and why the best players avoid certain distances, how to sequence the arms and body during the swing, and pressure shifting.   

During the lesson we worked on shots that were shaft parallel and left arm parallel.  During the lesson we talked about opening the club face, pushing off the right foot (used the force pedal under right foot to help with this) and not bending the right knee in when I was swinging through, and club release.  Tendency is that I let the right arm get behind me on these short swings and am unable to recover which results in my dropping the right shoulder and hitting it fat or flipping and hitting it thin.    Biggest thing for me is I need to turn the body more during the swing.  

As technique improved I was seeing better contact, ball flight, spin, and dispersion.   

Now,  I just need to get out and practice the new skills and keeping my elbows closer together.    

Wow a lot going on there but it sounds like really good progress!! Good luck with the practicing and especially taking it to the course 👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

56 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Wow a lot going on there but it sounds like really good progress!! Good luck with the practicing and especially taking it to the course 👍

We really took my distance wedge swing back to fundamentals.  I tend to setup with a closed face (so we opened it a touch),  the turning of the knee was a reaction I had to generate speed, learning to turn with the body and not throw the arms was the key and really what we worked on for most of the lesson.   We spent lots of time turning back to shaft parallel to the ground, pausing and ensuring the position was right,  and then turning through.    It was interesting to watch the video,  when I was doing the swing without pausing,  I would end up at left arm parallel and I would have sworn it was shaft parallel. 

Sounds really good!!

(Can you post some vids so we can.. uhhhh .. "borrow" some short game tips 😂)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

22 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Sounds really good!!

Let me take some of the new wedge swing.  We didn't keep the ones from yesterday.  

I was planning on doing this soon so I could send a followup to my instructor so I can make sure I am doing the right thing after the lesson.  

On 11/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, cksurfdude said:

Sounds really good!!

Here you go.  Went out and filmed some swings to send to my instructor after being able to practice on my own. Still needs some work,  but getting better.   Camera angle is a bit off in the pre lesson videos

Before Lesson:

After

Good stuff!!! Easy to see you've been working hard 👍

What club / distance you working on in the "After" vid?

I have another lesson scheduled for tomorrow and plan on asking my coach to look at some short game action .. my chipping last several rounds has been waaaay weak......

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I like the After!  Nice change.  More rotation and shallower.  It looks like what I think my wedge shots look like, but I've never videoed it so I could be waaay off from reality. 

Man o' Man is your turf different than mine!!  As long as it's not wet, I can hit 10 shots like yours and not see any dirt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Good stuff!!! Easy to see you've been working hard 👍

What club / distance you working on in the "After" vid?

I have another lesson scheduled for tomorrow and plan on asking my coach to look at some short game action .. my chipping last several rounds has been waaaay weak......

Thanks.   Those shots were about 50 yards with a 54* wedge. 

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I like the After!  Nice change.  More rotation and shallower.  It looks like what I think my wedge shots look like, but I've never videoed it so I could be waaay off from reality. 

Man o' Man is your turf different than mine!!  As long as it's not wet, I can hit 10 shots like yours and not see any dirt.

Yep,  we worked on more rotation and less arms to keep arms in front of me and in better sync.  

The grass where I was hitting was pretty torn up when I got there and generally doesn't get repaired by the course.  Hard to find a spot that doesn't have divots and uneven ground. 

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing to practice the short game shots. Working on keeping the clubhead outside hands on backswing and not rolling my
Hands/arms which brings the clubhead inside.

Also working on shortening the swing. Feedback was that that swing is too long for a 50 yard shot. Been doing swings to stop at shaft parallel; which is really hard for me, and generating more speed. Haven’t used a ball to see how it is working so I Need to get on a launch monitor or back to the practice area to see the distance. I have been using a towel to keep low point under control.

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Continuing to practice the short game shots. Working on keeping the clubhead outside hands on backswing and not rolling my
Hands/arms which brings the clubhead inside.

Also working on shortening the swing. Feedback was that that swing is too long for a 50 yard shot. Been doing swings to stop at shaft parallel; which is really hard for me, and generating more speed. Haven’t used a ball to see how it is working so I Need to get on a launch monitor or back to the practice area to see the distance. I have been using a towel to keep low point under control.

I was stationed at Langley in 2011 but wasn't a golfer then...will you be able to practice in the winter months?  Or will some of your practice be in a bay...MGS?  (If so, do you feel like you can effectively do the short game work in a bay?)

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I was stationed at Langley in 2011 but wasn't a golfer then...will you be able to practice in the winter months?  Or will some of your practice by in a bay?  (If so, do you feel like you can effectively do the short game work in a bay?)

I play golf year round so I do get some practice time outdoors. Weekday outdoors is limited by daylight so that will happen on Saturday and before my weekly round. During week I will be doing most wanted testing at MGS so I have access to a GCQuad and can setup different distances to capture club data. I can also head over if one of the GCQuads isn’t being used. The launch monitor is great because we can look at the data and see what is going on with the swing.

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I play golf year round so I do get some practice time outdoors. Weekday outdoors is limited by daylight so that will happen on Saturday and before my weekly round. During week I will be doing most wanted testing at MGS so I have access to a GCQuad and can setup different distances to capture club data. I can also head over if one of the GCQuads isn’t being used. The launch monitor is great because we can look at the data and see what is going on with the swing.

Sounds great.  My biggest concern here...losing ground due to winter.  Hopefully a PlaneMate and some sporadic simulator time addresses that.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• 3 months later...

I knew it had been a while since I had posted in this thread but didn’t realize. It has been since early December.

Still working on improvements. While I have only played a few rounds, my finesse and distance wedge game is improving. Contact is good; just need to ensure I put the proper effort into the swing to get the desire distance.

During the few rounds I have played, my iron game has been less than stellar. I have gotten some time on the gcquad and have made a couple of grip,
Swing, and ball position changes to try and minimize toe hits. I have also continued doing dry land drills my instructor Provided. Now that we have changed the time I can go out after work and get some video for my instructor to review for glaring issues and possibly do something in person.

Continue to use my ExPutt to practice distance and face control. Probably need to make more of those 5-10 footers but I think that will come with more course time.

Since I haven’t played a lot, Tactics has become a focal point in my improvement journey. Had a couple of really good zoom calls to discuss aspects of course strategy and how to compensate for wind, temperature, and grass. Learned a lot and really feel like it will help with shot selection.

Beautiful day today so I went to the range to get some reps and a video of my swing.   Started out a little rough but by the end I was striking the ball pretty well but still had a tendency to hit the ball off the toe.   

Here are the videos I sent to my instructor.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Beautiful day today so I went to the range to get some reps and a video of my swing.   Started out a little rough but by the end I was striking the ball pretty well but still had a tendency to hit the ball off the toe.   

Here are the videos I sent to my instructor.  

Your swing is looking good! I'm especially jealous of the smooth weight shift toward your lead side in the transition. 

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Your swing is looking good! I'm especially jealous of the smooth weight shift toward your lead side in the transition. 

Second that!! 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg