TESTERS WANTED! ×

CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

Got a quick video of my swing today.  Still need to stand a little closer, but contact is more centered and right elbow isn't horrible. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Got a quick video of my swing today.  Still need to stand a little closer, but contact is more centered and right elbow isn't horrible. 

Looking good right there. Looks like the hard work is paying off.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Nice swing of Martin Laird... now put your swing up!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.    Full swing is more under control and toe strikes have been drastically reduced.  The changes to the full swing seem to have improved the short game swings as well.

Going to focus a bit more on my mid distance putting and putting focus.   I am going to work on focus because it is becoming apparent that when hitting the mid range putts I am making too many bad swings.   I have lots of confidence in my distance control, but occasionally I make really bad strokes that leave the putts significantly short.  This leads to a bit of frustration as I try to make the next putt.  Going to work on enhancing the pre-putt routine to make sure I am mentally prepared to make the stroke.   I have also noticed a little bit of a face control issue on the mid length putts. Been spending time recently on face control drills and am finding that this issue seems to tie back to the focus issue. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.   

This was one of my most frustrating experiences last year. I felt like I was playing better but the low scores weren't there. However the range of scores closed considerably. It was a hard mental shift. I did reach my lowest index ever, so while it may not feel like it the progress is there. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.    Full swing is more under control and toe strikes have been drastically reduced.  The changes to the full swing seem to have improved the short game swings as well.

Going to focus a bit more on my mid distance putting and putting focus.   I am going to work on focus because it is becoming apparent that when hitting the mid range putts I am making too many bad swings.   I have lots of confidence in my distance control, but occasionally I make really bad strokes that leave the putts significantly short.  This leads to a bit of frustration as I try to make the next putt.  Going to work on enhancing the pre-putt routine to make sure I am mentally prepared to make the stroke.   I have also noticed a little bit of a face control issue on the mid length putts. Been spending time recently on face control drills and am finding that this issue seems to tie back to the focus issue. 

I am in the same place currently. Not getting super low scores lately but have not been much higher than mid-80s which I will take when I still bounced into the 90s from time to time

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.

To echo @THEZIPR23 and @ejgaudette, I'm in the exact same place myself! Been hard to be content with that, but I'll walk off the course now feeling like I had no swing whatsoever that day and still be able to keep my bad rounds in check score-wise.

Beginning to understand just how hard it is to shoot near par consistently. There's just so much luck involved, on top of the incredible amount of skill required.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

Beginning to understand just how hard it is to shoot near par consistently. There's just so much luck involved, on top of the incredible amount of skill required.

I think that is what's holding me back!!  I only have a marginal amount of skill, and if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Seems to be a common theme.  In my own progress, I recognized that I'm striking the ball better and making fewer really errant swings.  With cleaner ball striking and improved short game, the numbers still don't reflect that improvement (yet).  I know it's closer to where I want to be and I know that if I continue to work on it, the scores will follow.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Going to focus a bit more on my mid distance putting and putting focus.   I am going to work on focus because it is becoming apparent that when hitting the mid range putts I am making too many bad swings.   I have lots of confidence in my distance control, but occasionally I make really bad strokes that leave the putts significantly short.  This leads to a bit of frustration as I try to make the next putt.  

Is this focus, or commitment?  I find my bad strokes on mid-range putts are uncommitted ones where I’m less confident in my read.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Keep up the good work @cnosil! Even though you're not seeing the low end of your scoring spectrum going down, at least the high scores are starting to drop. That sounds like progress to me. 

It is definitely progress.   Swing is coming around and I am happy with impact and ball flight.  Just finished hybrid most wanted testing today and have hitting the ball really well during driving iron and hybrid testing.   At a point where I just want to go out and play golf and work on my game;  unfortunately work gets in the way.  

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Is this focus, or commitment?  I find my bad strokes on mid-range putts are uncommitted ones where I’m less confident in my read.

I am leaning toward focus.  I don't generally change read or believe I have the wrong read.  Could be the result of making the wrong backswing,  but to me that is related to my focus and not  my commitment to how far I want to roll the putt.   Been rolling putts at home and find that I am a little more accurate when I focus on the club hitting the back of the ball;  basically quiet eye approach.   

51 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Seems to be a common theme.  In my own progress, I recognized that I'm striking the ball better and making fewer really errant swings.  With cleaner ball striking and improved short game, the numbers still don't reflect that improvement (yet).  I know it's closer to where I want to be and I know that if I continue to work on it, the scores will follow.

That's positive!!  I remember many times Tiger saying:  "I'm close."  

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted in this thread.  Partially because I haven’t done much with my game and partially because I am frustrated with my game.   The golf season is basically winding down  even though I will continue to play most of the winter.  Not sure how I will practice since it gets dark early.  I recently got a net; haven’t put it up yesterday, which I will use for short game shots and probably working on my low point with practice balls.  I am honestly afraid a ball will get beyond the net and break a window or hit someone so probably won’t hit full shots with a real ball.  

over the course of the season my short game has really improved still some terrible shots but overall I am avoiding doubles that resulted from poor short game shots.   Was starting to work on full swing shots but due to circumstances beyond control I was unable to continue the detailed full swing work and started finding “tips” which has sent my swing into a downward spiral.  I can work it out on the range, but it is the result of block hitting where I get my timing down.  It doesn’t carry over to the course which results in wayward tee and approach shots.   This past weekend was basically pull hook the tee shot, pitch out to the fairway, hit an iron that was good, a push, or pull hook, pitch on and depending on distance 1 or 2 putt.   If I could get my full swing a bit more under control I really feel like my game would be pretty good and I could get myself back to a mid single digit handicapper.  Learning DECADE really helped with strategy and expectation management now, I just need to be able to hit some shots with reasonable results.  

I think some full swing lessons are definitely needed.  Trying to decide if I should wait for spring or start sooner.  Probably going to do in-person as I think it would be more productive.  Just need to figure out who I can find locally that Is on the same page that I am and not require me to drive too far.  Unfortunately, don’t know a lot of players that have taken lessons and could provide recommendations.   Guess it is time to start the interview process.  

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Been a while since I posted in this thread.  Partially because I haven’t done much with my game and partially because I am frustrated with my game.   The golf season is basically winding down  even though I will continue to play most of the winter.  Not sure how I will practice since it gets dark early.  I recently got a net; haven’t put it up yesterday, which I will use for short game shots and probably working on my low point with practice balls.  I am honestly afraid a ball will get beyond the net and break a window or hit someone so probably won’t hit full shots with a real ball.  

over the course of the season my short game has really improved still some terrible shots but overall I am avoiding doubles that resulted from poor short game shots.   Was starting to work on full swing shots but due to circumstances beyond control I was unable to continue the detailed full swing work and started finding “tips” which has sent my swing into a downward spiral.  I can work it out on the range, but it is the result of block hitting where I get my timing down.  It doesn’t carry over to the course which results in wayward tee and approach shots.   This past weekend was basically pull hook the tee shot, pitch out to the fairway, hit an iron that was good, a push, or pull hook, pitch on and depending on distance 1 or 2 putt.   If I could get my full swing a bit more under control I really feel like my game would be pretty good and I could get myself back to a mid single digit handicapper.  Learning DECADE really helped with strategy and expectation management now, I just need to be able to hit some shots with reasonable results.  

I think some full swing lessons are definitely needed.  Trying to decide if I should wait for spring or start sooner.  Probably going to do in-person as I think it would be more productive.  Just need to figure out who I can find locally that Is on the same page that I am and not require me to drive too far.  Unfortunately, don’t know a lot of players that have taken lessons and could provide recommendations.   Guess it is time to start the interview process.  

Hope you find a good fit for an instructor.  It's not easy.

Depending on what net you got, hitting full shots with mid-to-long clubs will likely be easier on the net.  It took me only 2 months hitting mostly wedge shots into my net, and the spin really chews it up; put a hole through it!!  I ended up getting the Spornia standard size white simulator sheet for $40 to hang in front of the net; works great!  

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

Based on your shot pattern description,  you probably need to get your swing path and/or ball position fixed. There was a time in my career where I had the same misses. Went to a pro at my course. She watched one swing outside then told me to come inside so she could video something. She had me diagnose the issue after one swing. My ball position was off the back foot with a 7 iron, therefore, middle to back of my stance with driver. She brought me inside so I could see it because she knew I wouldn't believe her if she told me my ball position was off.

Another time, I was trying to swing like Garcia or Furyk and loop it back inside. Well, I was getting stuck big time. 3 video lessons from a pro fixed that. 

In both cases, a good pro was key to fixing it rather quickly. It took me a while to get it right, but knowing what I needed to do was quick and I saw improvement come quickly. In both cases I missed off the planet right or left when I missed. Block fades and big hooks were the norm. I was probably averaging 4 or 5 of 14 fairways.

I have a friend right now who was trying to shallow his downswing on his own and with some YouTube tips. I told him when he started that he was going to end up playing army golf. Sure enough, he did. Dropped from about a 5 handicap to closer to 10 now. Crept into his once good short game too. He is about to go see my pro. 

Biggest reason I tell you this is that the right pro will see the issue and get you fixed fairly quickly. I have been there multiple times. 

I would definitely try to work on this in the off season if you can. You will thank yourself come spring. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Hope you find a good fit for an instructor.  It's not easy.

Depending on what net you got, hitting full shots with mid-to-long clubs will likely be easier on the net.  It took me only 2 months hitting mostly wedge shots into my net, and the spin really chews it up; put a hole through it!!  I ended up getting the Spornia standard size white simulator sheet for $40 to hang in front of the net; works great!  

Finding an instructor is very difficult.  I wish I didn’t have to do a search I really liked the instructor I was working with.

I haven’t  even put the net up to see how it is constructed. Been busy and now it gets dark shortly after I get off work.   I will probably start with the almost golf balls since I have a lot of those.  The nice thing is that it will let me film my swing,  the bad part is that I cant see ball flight since I don’t have a GC quad at home 🥲.  When I am at the range contact feels ok but ball flight is a pull hook so I am also worried I will build in the wrong feels.  That’s why I will probably focus on short game since it is mostly low point control that I want to work on.  

1 hour ago, jtgavigan said:

Based on your shot pattern description,  you probably need to get your swing path and/or ball position fixed.

Biggest reason I tell you this is that the right pro will see the issue and get you fixed fairly quickly. I have been there multiple times. 

I would definitely try to work on this in the off season if you can. You will thank yourself come spring. 

I know it isn’t swing path; my path is pretty consistent 2-3* in to out.   I do struggle with face control.  The coach I was working with did identify an issue -  when I initiated the downswing my right elbow separated and caused me to do some funky things in the downswing to route the club into the ball.  The result was toe strike and over rotation of the face.   My coach described it as one of the hardest things to fix and I have been working on it since the July but need to get some eyes on what I am doing.  Only reason I would wait until spring is the weather for outside lesson as there aren’t many indoor facilities and it would give me time to figure out who I should work with.  I really hate that I have to find a new coach.   

Dang, that sucks...

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I really hate that I have to find a new coach.

Seems like you've got some expert resources at MGS HQ to help in the search for a new coach..?

Or maybe you can bribe that guy who does "Harry's Dingers" .. he appears to know what he's doing 😉😄

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I haven’t  even put the net up to see how it is constructed. Been busy and now it gets dark shortly after I get off work.   I will probably start with the almost golf balls since I have a lot of those.  The nice thing is that it will let me film my swing,  the bad part is that I cant see ball flight since I don’t have a GC quad at home 🥲.  When I am at the range contact feels ok but ball flight is a pull hook so I am also worried I will build in the wrong feels.  That’s why I will probably focus on short game since it is mostly low point control that I want to work on.  

The Almost Golf balls work fine with just the net.  They do fly higher into the net than real balls.  I used them after I put a few real balls into the wall on the right 😳 until I got that fixed.  

On 11/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, cnosil said:

For what it's worth, not sure of your GolfTec access in your area, but if you can give a name as a reference you can usually get a 60-minute swing eval/lesson for free, and the guy/gal you name drop gets a free lesson.  That's been my experience anyway...they don't advertise that deal but if you call and ask they'll do it (or at least in Omaha).

Not pushing GolfTEC by any means; they are very hit or miss...if you do go that route I'd recommend checking the location's website and looking over the staff resumes.  However, it would at least give you the ability to check out an instructor without really committing anything financially.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

10 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

For what it's worth, not sure of your GolfTec access in your area, but if you can give a name as a reference you can usually get a 60-minute swing eval/lesson for free, and the guy/gal you name drop gets a free lesson.  That's been my experience anyway...they don't advertise that deal but if you call and ask they'll do it (or at least in Omaha).

Not pushing GolfTEC by any means; they are very hit or miss...if you do go that route I'd recommend checking the location's website and looking over the staff resumes.  However, it would at least give you the ability to check out an instructor without really committing anything financially.

The Golftec in our area is about 45 minutes (or more depending on tunnel backup) away.   I did a swing evaluation at another Golftec about 6 or so years ago.  I wasn’t a big fan of all the body position measurement stuff and from everything I have seen their programs are; IMO, extremely expensive.  Most of the instructors locally are $40-$100 a lesson and offer multi lesson discounts.  I am thinking I’ll probably need 4-5 lessons.   

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The Golftec in our area is about 45 minutes (or more depending on tunnel backup) away.   I did a swing evaluation at another Golftec about 6 or so years ago.  I wasn’t a big fan of all the body position measurement stuff and from everything I have seen their programs are; IMO, extremely expensive.  Most of the instructors locally are $40-$100 a lesson and offer multi lesson discounts.  I am thinking I’ll probably need 4-5 lessons.   

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree.  Like I said, they're very hit or miss.  

Try as I might not to, I still miss some of the better threads.  Except for the average score targets, I've been pursuing pretty much the same improvement list.  I haven't committed to a regiment as specific as yours however.  Good luck.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 11/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, cnosil said:

I know it isn’t swing path; my path is pretty consistent 2-3* in to out.   I do struggle with face control.  The coach I was working with did identify an issue -  when I initiated the downswing my right elbow separated and caused me to do some funky things in the downswing to route the club into the ball.  The result was toe strike and over rotation of the face.  

I just finished 3 days of a school with an instructor. I have had a similar issue with in to out path and face control (often too closed). I found keeping my head behind the clubface (head position between middle of stance and back foot) helped keep my right arm tucked giving me the feeling of my right shoulder coming finishing under my chin. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

• 2 months later...

You have way more perseverance than me my friend. One thing I would really work on would be ball to club first contact. We had a local high school super star who would always be practicing full shots out of fairway bunkers. One day I asked him why he does this. He said it promoted a clean contact strike in all his shots. And did him wonders when things would go badly. In a fairway trap you have little too no chance of error. Maybe give that a try. As it sounds like your ball to club contact is very poor. Fixing other areas is fine. But impact should be your main concern 

44 minutes ago, Goober said:

You have way more perseverance than me my friend. One thing I would really work on would be ball to club first contact. We had a local high school super star who would always be practicing full shots out of fairway bunkers. One day I asked him why he does this. He said it promoted a clean contact strike in all his shots. And did him wonders when things would go badly. In a fairway trap you have little too no chance of error. Maybe give that a try. As it sounds like your ball to club contact is very poor. Fixing other areas is fine. But impact should be your main concern 

I am aware of that drill and if there was a place that had bunkers that you could practice out of it would be something I would do.  

Fat/thin is probably less of an issue than where on the face I am making contact.  Everything I have been working on has been to improve contact; it just not a quick fix type of thing.  During my last lesson we spent 2 hours diagnosing and working on how to fix.  When I get on the range, the repetitive nature makes it easier; doesn’t work so well on the course.  

On 6/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, cnosil said:

There are a few threads detailing individuals paths to getting better.  Some want to break into the 80s,  some want to be single digit, some are trying to achieve scratch golf,  I am trying to get to the low single digits.  I thought it might be a good idea to report on my progress and what I am doing to play better golf;  hopefully someone finds it interesting; if not it will just be my own blog that I can use as a reference.  🙂    

About me: 

I have been playing golf on and off since I was in my early teens but stopped and started many times since then.  Finally started to play regularly in the 90s which happened to be roughly where I was scoring.  Took a bunch of lessons and worked my handicap down to a 4 in roughly the 05-10 timeframe and shot a personal best 70 and have about a dozen rounds of 71/72.   Over the last 5/6 years my game has been going the wrong direction and scores that were typically mid 70s are now low to mid 80s.   My short game was a big mess and after a lesson last year it has started to get better but still needs some improvement.     

I play with a regular group weekly and play in my companies golf league.  My recent golf league results are what really set this journey forward.   We play 9 holes in league play and my last three rounds have been +15, +14 and +9 and I know I can play better golf.   As a result,  I reached out to my instructor and said I wanted to get better at the game. 

How I think:  

For those reading these posts,  this is probably an important thing to understand.   I really like to understand the details and learn as much as I can about a subject.   I did this with putting;  I found a coach that helped me understand how the putting stroke works and how my decisions impact the stroke.  I learn the mechanics but move toward the feel side of the scale when actually playing.  Now,  my goal is to learn more about the golf swing and strategy to playing better

Initial Goals:

• Get my scoring average to 75
  • Break 70
  • Improve course strategy
  • Improve approach game (struggle with pull hooks, toe shots, and fat shots)
  • Improve short game (still isn't where I want it to be)
  • Improve distance wedges
  • Improve iron distance control (in between distances)

Initial assessment:

I went for an initial swing assessment on the 20th.  The assessment we did is based on Mike Adams swing dynamics.   I learned about Mike Adams last year on an episode of the Golf Channels Swing Expedition with Chris Como.  Essentially you go through a series of tests and based on the results of those tests it determines how you should swing.  This assessment includes what your swing pivots around,  grip (strong/weak, over, under, side),  swing plane,  stance width,  etc.    For the way I process things,  it was ideal.   Based on this assessment, I am a front post, side-on grip and release, launch.spin golfer.    Once this was determined,  we went through a series of drills to help work on ingraining the feels and to work on ground impact location.   

Early results:

Since the assessment,  I have played 2 rounds and done a couple of most wanted testing sessions.  The approach seems to be working;  I have been making more centered contact, less fat shots, and narrowed shot dispersion.  It is interesting that my short game has shown significant improvement over the last two weeks as well.    Last two rounds have been 79 and 80 and the swing changes seem to be a step in the right direction.  

Future plans:

Obviously I will continue to work on the practice drills.   Since iron testing is getting under way at MGS,   I will be hitting lots of iron shots a couple of times a week.    From a lesson perspective,  it looks like I will be doing one in-person lesson a month and a couple of online lessons per month to answer questions, check on drills, and develop course strategy.  

If you shoot Mike a text/video with questions about what you worked on he’s really good about responding.

There are a few threads detailing individuals paths to getting better.  Some want to break into the 80s,  some want to be single digit, some are trying to achieve scratch golf,  I am trying to get to the low single digits.  I thought it might be a good idea to report on my progress and what I am doing to play better golf;  hopefully someone finds it interesting; if not it will just be my own blog that I can use as a reference.  🙂    

About me: 

I have been playing golf on and off since I was in my early teens but stopped and started many times since then.  Finally started to play regularly in the 90s which happened to be roughly where I was scoring.  Took a bunch of lessons and worked my handicap down to a 4 in roughly the 05-10 timeframe and shot a personal best 70 and have about a dozen rounds of 71/72.   Over the last 5/6 years my game has been going the wrong direction and scores that were typically mid 70s are now low to mid 80s.   My short game was a big mess and after a lesson last year it has started to get better but still needs some improvement.     

I play with a regular group weekly and play in my companies golf league.  My recent golf league results are what really set this journey forward.   We play 9 holes in league play and my last three rounds have been +15, +14 and +9 and I know I can play better golf.   As a result,  I reached out to my instructor and said I wanted to get better at the game. 

How I think:  

For those reading these posts,  this is probably an important thing to understand.   I really like to understand the details and learn as much as I can about a subject.   I did this with putting;  I found a coach that helped me understand how the putting stroke works and how my decisions impact the stroke.  I learn the mechanics but move toward the feel side of the scale when actually playing.  Now,  my goal is to learn more about the golf swing and strategy to playing better

Initial Goals:

• Break 70

Initial assessment:

I went for an initial swing assessment on the 20th.  The assessment we did is based on Mike Adams swing dynamics.   I learned about Mike Adams last year on an episode of the Golf Channels Swing Expedition with Chris Como.  Essentially you go through a series of tests and based on the results of those tests it determines how you should swing.  This assessment includes what your swing pivots around,  grip (strong/weak, over, under, side),  swing plane,  stance width,  etc.    For the way I process things,  it was ideal.   Based on this assessment, I am a front post, side-on grip and release, launch.spin golfer.    Once this was determined,  we went through a series of drills to help work on ingraining the feels and to work on ground impact location.   

Early results:

Since the assessment,  I have played 2 rounds and done a couple of most wanted testing sessions.  The approach seems to be working;  I have been making more centered contact, less fat shots, and narrowed shot dispersion.  It is interesting that my short game has shown significant improvement over the last two weeks as well.    Last two rounds have been 79 and 80 and the swing changes seem to be a step in the right direction.  

Future plans:

Obviously I will continue to work on the practice drills.   Since iron testing is getting under way at MGS,   I will be hitting lots of iron shots a couple of times a week.    From a lesson perspective,  it looks like I will be doing one in-person lesson a month and a couple of online lessons per month to answer questions, check on drills, and develop course strategy.  

About me: 

How I think:  

Initial Goals:

• Break 70

Initial assessment:

Early results:

Future plans:

I know I am late to the party, but very interested to follow your journey. I have always thought the Mike Adams approach was intriguing. From time to time his stuff pops up, but you have ignited the interest again. I'm curious where you found someone to do the assessment on your swing. Thanks

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven