TESTERS WANTED! ×

CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

On 8/25/2022 at 8:11 PM, Kenny B said:

All of my 60º shots around the green I play the ball forward of center.  Easy to hit flops, but most shots are mid-trajectory to a spot on the green or a very low bump and run punch type shot.  I tried the ball back in my stance with no success; many fatted.  Even with my less lofted clubs, I still play the ball forward.

About 90% of the time use my 60º around the greens, specially on tight lies, front, side, back.. I feel i have more control and very little run off from my target. by focusing on using this wedge primarily , has improve my short game significant.
I only use my 56º from the sand and longer shots to give me that low or high shots around the green.
For ME, i like the ball just slightly forward of center, i get a better feel of the bounce and contact with the ball, resulting in more consistent chips and stops.
anytime i try to lean forward or put the wedge back in my stands,, there is no consistency , and I have practice those shots to get a feel for it, but just doesn't work for me.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

6 hours ago, MrBandit said:

About 90% of the time use my 60º around the greens, specially on tight lies, front, side, back.. I feel i have more control and very little run off from my target. by focusing on using this wedge primarily , has improve my short game significant.
I only use my 56º from the sand and longer shots to give me that low or high shots around the green.
For ME, i like the ball just slightly forward of center, i get a better feel of the bounce and contact with the ball, resulting in more consistent chips and stops.
anytime i try to lean forward or put the wedge back in my stands,, there is no consistency , and I have practice those shots to get a feel for it, but just doesn't work for me.

Sounds like the same as me.  Your "slightly forward" of center and my "forward" of center are probably the same; with weight forward my low point is forward of center, otherwise I don't use the bounce effectively.  

Unless a sand shot is longer (and that's a judgement I make at the time), my 60º is my club; the 54º is used when it's a longer shot and when in heavy rough next the green.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good work @cnosil, I feel like you always hovered around a 9 HDCP and now you are down to a 5 which signals either (a) you don't update your hdcp on here very often or (b) you have made some nice strides, scoring-wise. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

Good work @cnosil, I feel like you always hovered around a 9 HDCP and now you are down to a 5 which signals either (a) you don't update your hdcp on here very often or (b) you have made some nice strides, scoring-wise. 

It is more that I don't update my handicap and a guess since I didn't track my handicap.  With the recent lessons I do seem to have lowered my floor and ceiling scores; I am getting more scores in the 70s and my "bad" rounds are mid 80s.   With the lower scores I entered my scores from the last 15 rounds; since that is what I had, in a handicap app and that is what it spit out as my handicap. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

After a busy schedule and not much time for golf I was able to get out for a lesson this evening.  During some of the recent labs and limited rounds since my last lesson I haven't been hitting the ball as well as I think I should🤪 so I was eager to hear what was happening.

Hit some shots and basically I had fallen back into some of the habits we worked on during the first lesson.  My swing was getting a little long and I was going across the line at the top of the swing.  He also noticed that I have overcompensated and aligned myself too far to the right.    All of this created a swing that got a little steep, resulted in some pushes and pull hooks, and deep divots.  Took a long tee and put it in the back of my glove to keep my wrist flatter and get my backswing in a little better position at the top.  We also worked on getting in proper alignment.  As a result of these changes my shots straightened out and flew toward the targets.  

Looking forward to getting out this weekend and seeing if I can carry the lesson over to the course. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As I mentioned in my previous post alignment was the biggest area of focus in my lesson last night.  While we talked about ways to improve and check alignment I remembered via the various social media ads an instructor that talks a lot about getting alignment correct.  Searched and found the below video that mentions at the very beginning the effects of bad alignment….pushes and pull hooks; both of which I have been and was doing last night.   Once I improved my alignment my shot dispersion and ball flight  was significantly better.  If I drifted away from proper alignment I started getting the pushes and hooks.    

https://m.facebook.com/TheGolfRoom/videos/this-is-one-of-the-best-tips-you-can-get-right-here-alignment-is-a-huge-part-of-/981136829201287/

Anyway, thought the video provided a good discussion and is something everyone can benefit from.   It is a facebooo video, but you don’t need a Facebook account to view.  

• 4 weeks later...

Went through the ShotScope data that I have captured over my last 15 rounds and compared to a scratch golfer to see if there were areas that stood out. (If you want the gory details, I posted those in the ShotScope LX+ testing thread)   Based on my assessment, here are a few things I am going to work on:

• 3 putt avoidance.   I have to get better with speed control.  I’ve been reading some of Geoff Mangum’s work and getting in some more practice time.   over the past couple of rounds I seem to be getting a little better feel for distance.  
  • improve 9-12’ putting:  numbers here are a little low.  Start line performance will be the way forward here.  
  •  Approach shots/GIR:  my lessons have significantly improved my ball striking.  As with many amateurs, missing too many greens shot so I am going to consciously work to more club into greens especially on the front to middle pin positions.  Basically get on the green and rely on putting instead of short game.  This also ties into the topic of my last lesson which was alignment.  With good alignment my ball flight is much straighter and on target.  
  • short game proximity to the hole:  the time I spent on the short game has resulted in much better contact.  Now I need to work on proximity to the hole to get more up and downs.  Basically, need to learn how much the ball will release on these shots?

I have one more lesson in my series so I need to figure out what to focus on.   We have already addressed the above items and I am confident that I am able to work on them independently so I don’t really need a coaching session.   Based on my Shotscope data, fairway bunkers is a weak area. I hesitate since not sure that will really translate to improved scoring since this isn't something that happens every hole or even every round.   That said I do recognize that being able to hit out of fairway bunkers could also improve general ball striking.  

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Went through the ShotScope data that I have captured over my last 15 rounds and compared to a scratch golfer to see if there were areas that stood out. (If you want the gory details, I posted those in the ShotScope LX+ testing thread)   Based on my assessment, here are a few things I am going to work on:

• 3 putt avoidance.   I have to get better with speed control.  I’ve been reading some of Geoff Mangum’s work and getting in some more practice time.   over the past couple of rounds I seem to be getting a little better feel for distance.  
  • improve 9-12’ putting:  numbers here are a little low.  Start line performance will be the way forward here.  
  •  Approach shots/GIR:  my lessons have significantly improved my ball striking.  As with many amateurs, missing too many greens shot so I am going to consciously work to more club into greens especially on the front to middle pin positions.  Basically get on the green and rely on putting instead of short game.  This also ties into the topic of my last lesson which was alignment.  With good alignment my ball flight is much straighter and on target.  
  • short game proximity to the hole:  the time I spent on the short game has resulted in much better contact.  Now I need to work on proximity to the hole to get more up and downs.  Basically, need to learn how much the ball will release on these shots?

I have one more lesson in my series so I need to figure out what to focus on.   We have already addressed the above items and I am confident that I am able to work on them independently so I don’t really need a coaching session.   Based on my Shotscope data, fairway bunkers is a weak area. I hesitate since not sure that will really translate to improved scoring since this isn't something that happens every hole or even every round.   That said I do recognize that being able to hit out of fairway bunkers could also improve general ball striking.  

Good insights and some interesting areas for development. I am with you 100% on fairway bunkers. I can only name a couple which I have actually been in this entire season. However the shots of of them were less than stellar. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Grabbed some balls and did some startline drills to evaluate my putting a little bit.  I have developed a right miss. 😢   I've noticed this a little on the course; especially after MGS Phillip mentioned it during our round a few weeks ago, and it was my miss during the drills this morning.  I'm guessing I have overcompensated for the left miss that used to be my typical miss for many years.   Tried making a few tweaks to my setup and couldn't didn't feel like I had a lot of success though it seems like I have crept a little closer to the ball.   Going to go back to the basics and work on some of the fundamentals of putting and see what I can figure out.   

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't made it to the course in a couple of weeks but have been working on putting by doing startline testing, working on seeing the line better, and using the devil ball.   Also headed over to HQ today to hit some full swings on the GCQuad, check the gapping in my clubs, just hit some balls, and of course check out the new equipment that has been arriving.  I'd tell you about the equipment but sworn to secrecy since most haven't been release yet.  Didn't get to hit any of the full swing clubs but did roll some putts with the various putters that will be evaluated as part of most wanted.  

After checking out the gear I got to work with my clubs.   Rolled some putts and I think the Devil Ball might be helping;  I think it creates some additional focus when standing over a putt and overall I felt like my performance was pretty good.  Went through the bag on the GC Quad and overall I hit the ball pretty well.  Probably going against the advice of todays MGS video,   I wasn't trying to hit the ball as far as possible with my irons but trying to hit solid accurate shots.  Dispersion circles were tight until I got up to about the 7 iron.   Here are the results of my gapping check (these are carry numbers):

• Driver:  250 - I hit some "normal" swing that has SS of about 105 and was also able to dial it up to 110 and push the carry distance to the 265 range.   
  • 3W: 215 - Didn't hit them very well hit quite a few in the 230 range but also had some in the 180 range that brought the average down.
  • H1: 199
  • H2: 194
  • 5i: 173
  • 6i 168
  • 7i: 157
  • 8i: 147
  • 9i: 132
  • PW: 123
  • GW: 113
  • SW: 100
  • LW: 85

After looking through the numbers gapping isn't to bad until I get to the 5 iron and longer.  Phillip and I were brainstorming some options and here's is what I will probably do:

• Pull the 5 iron.  To inconsistent with this club and average distance is just too close to the 6 iron.  
  • Insert the 25* hybrid I have in my backup bag to replace the 5i and hopefully get a little more distance.   Will take it to HQ to dial in the distance; shooting for 185ish
  • Pull the H1.  Not getting as much distance as I thought from this club;  which I also noticed in my ShotScope data 
  • Set the H2 back to stock loft to try and push the distance up to about 200.  

For those looking for proper gapping distances,  during their HQ trip to the west coast Phillip was given the advice that a players gapping distances should be about 10% of their 7 iron ball speed.  Mine was about 110MPH.  

After doing the gapping session,  started hitting some partial wedge shots to practice short game.  Was pretty disappointed as I didn't hit the ball very well to start.   This is the area of the game I still need to improve as I can be hot or cold.   

To close out my time I decided to work on setup and see if I could get a little more distance out of the irons.  Started hitting the 7i and was able to comfortably push the carry distance up to about 170.   My thought right now is to hit the distances above and see if I can improve GIR and ultimately lower the scores.   

• 2 weeks later...

I am a week into most wanted driver testing and my swing is probably better than it has been in a long time.  I think the lessons have started to take hold and I have been following the dryland drills in the AMG video posted below.  Normally during driver testing, my spin is bordering on being too low but through the first week,  spin has been on target to a little higher than desired.  During warmup iron shots are feeling really solid.  Hoping to get out this weekend to see if all of this translates to the course.   

• 3 weeks later...

yesterday the stars seemed to align and I was able to get some free time and the weather was nice which meant I could go to the range to hit a few.    immediate goal was  to get some face on and DTL video to send in for a swing analysis and the hitting area at HQ is too narrow to get face on video.   As everyone always says, Seeing your swing on video is always interesting.  I know looks don’t matter, but it doesn’t look horrible; will be interesting to find out the recommended changes.   

overall ball striking wasn’t too bad; still have the toey pull hook creeping in on occasion.  

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

yesterday the stars seemed to align and I was able to get some free time and the weather was nice which meant I could go to the range to hit a few.    immediate goal was  to get some face on and DTL video to send in for a swing analysis and the hitting area at HQ is too narrow to get face on video.   As everyone always says, Seeing your swing on video is always interesting.  I know looks don’t matter, but it doesn’t look horrible; will be interesting to find out the recommended changes.   

overall ball striking wasn’t too bad; still have the toey pull hook creeping in on occasion.  

I’ll be curious to see what feedback you get. Things that stand out to me is in the face on there is a lot of mass shifting in the back swing and downswing.

In the dtl your arms get disconnected early in the takeaway and you don’t get any vertical hinge in the wrist so the club ends up behind the hands. Combined with very little left bend your right elbow bends more than 90° and you end up lifting and over running the arms. Because of where the club is and your massive shift of mass to the front you end up pulling the club down and get steep in transition with a little ott move. This causes you to stand up to let the arms catch up  and you have to throw the arms and hands at the ball and then rotate the hands to square the face.

Very familiar with this type of swing as it’s what I have a tendency to do, except for the big shift of weight. This movement pattern leads to inconsistent contact due to lack of face control.

Staying connected similar to a one piece takeaway and having the hand path move more in than out will help along with more vertical hinge of the left wrist.

A drill that is good is put a ball or sleeve of balls behind your club and feel your core start the turn and push the ball or box away 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll be curious to see what feedback you get.

You were pretty spot on.   The biggest issue that he wants to start with is the wrist hinge since it is the source of many of the follow on problems regarding the shaft plane, face control, and face being closed at impact.   Gave me a wrist hinge drill and we are going to look and see if there is any physical limitation in my wrist hinge.    His comment about the shift was more that I was late getting to my left side and as a result needing lateral instead of vertical forces at impact.  

When doing the drill and then swinging fully back I avoid over the line at the top, I seem to get to my left side before completing the backswing, and I feel the shaft/club rotating under and shallowing instead of rolling over and delivering a closing face.   

As suggested, going to try and get to the range and take another video and see how it impacts ball flight.   

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

When doing the drill and then swinging fully back I avoid over the line at the top, I seem to get to my left side before completing the backswing, and I feel the shaft/club rotating under and shallowing instead of rolling over and delivering a closing face.   

Yup once the wrists are in a good spot it’s hard to have the arms overrun the turn.

Looking forward to see what happens

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

A little more than a week into working on the swing changes from my latest instructor (more on that in a bit).   Most of my work had been indoors due to weather but I was able to get to the course this past weekend and hit some balls and play my second round of golf for the year.   Doing a drill where I focus on hinging the wrists and then making a swing.  if you watch Lydia Ko’s pre shot sequence, that is basically what I am doing.   Looked at some video and the swing is still a little long/over the line but better and I am now hinging earlier in the swing.  Hit the ball pretty well,  miss was a straight push and not my normal pull hook.  Face contact felt pretty good and centered.   The most informative part of the review video I received was how the club moves with an over the line swing and how it wants to rotate closed.  The explanation was enlightening  and was easy to replicate and feel.  I would also say it explains why my first swings are pull hooks and then I straighten them out after some warmup swings.  Coming out of the weekend with some confidence in my swing and that I am moving in the right direction.   

I am now on my third instructor after starting this journey.  The first I liked and had used for many years but all of a sudden he stopped responding to all of my communications; basically I got ghosted.  Took me a little while to find a second instructor and I took a lesson and signed up for 5 total lessons.   Made some minor changes to my swing and did some evaluation of my game as a whole.  no major changes, essentially alignment and trying to shorten the backswing.  Was given a few drills and ball flight was solved during the lesson but it didn’t always carry over to the course.  Nothing wrong with the instruction, but after a few lessons, I didn’t feel like there was a plan going forward.   Still have a lesson left but not sure I am going to use it.   I won a free lesson via skillest during a Christmas giveaway and the feedback I received is what has been presented in the last few posts.  Really feel like we are taking on the cause of my ball flight issues and not band-aiding.   My only concern is that After the lesson I asked what a plan would be if I took additional lesson and I didn’t feel like I got a great answer. I know the goal is for me to sign up for more lessons, but I personally like to have a basic idea of where we will be going.   The interaction has been good and I will probably sign on for a few more lessons since it is affordable.  I just wish it was warmer and I could get to the range more to video my swing for the lessons;  MGS HQ is great, but their hitting areas aren’t conducive to face on videoing of a swing.  

In the middle of most wanted putter testing and all I can say is my putting is terrible.   The testing protocol is to hit 8 putts at 3 distances (5’, 10’, and 20’) and the putts are straight.  I don’t do too bad on the 20’ putts, make a fairly high percentage and those that aren’t made are in a tight dispersion so I would say good distance control; which is something I worked on and do fairly well with.   The problem is I miss way too many 5’ putts.  I know when i think back at past testing, I didn’t miss as many as I am now.  This indicates a big face control issue and is something that I see on the course as well.  On the course, This problem results in mostly failed up and down attempts that have 5’ to 6’ putts.  

People will say it is all about feel and confidence, but I currently have no confidence and really have what I believe to be a technique issue.  I am not worried or thinking technique when I get over the putt and I don’t understand how feel would make it any better.  In my mind I need more focus on technique and club face delivery. 

I am kind of chasing my tail on this and have changed intent  to be more technical based and have switched left hand low left side controlled stroke since that was what did when I putted my best. Why did I change….just did through experiments and trying to get better with distance control on pointer putts.   Also going to go back to doing more start line drills for short putts; used to do this daily but got away from it when I started working more on finesse and distance wedges. 

maybe it is age/vision related. I know our eyes change as we get older and a few years ago I switched to multi focal contacts; maybe that has influenced how I see the line when standing over the ball.  

just another thing to work on……

Interesting that you are going through this. I had the same issue early last season. Lagging was great. Short putts always missed left. Having always been a good putter what the heck happened. This might or might not apply to you, but this was my experience. I have an Odyssey Marksman Fang putter. It's getting in age but works great for me and my stroke type. The grip was at the end of its life. I went to my local golf store and they couldn't find or get one that was a direct grip replacement. So they suggested a Superstroke Flatso and I went with it. That's when the putting issues came into play. I struggled for three months then I did what good engineers do. Put in in a vice, squared the face with a digital protractor to 0.0 degrees. Then put the digital level on the flat part of the grip and it was pretty darn square. Probably better than factory tolerances. Okay. It's just me then. Three months of suffering I had enough. I knew it wasn't me (not being cocky but I don't miss short ones that often). I cut the grip off and picked up a Superstroke Tour 3.0 and installed it myself. Bam everything was working again.

So in the end it was how the putter grip style worked with my hands and my grip on the putter. Flatso just didn't work for me. 

Since I see you have several different back up putters, I will assume they have different type grips. Go and try the other putters on 5-foot putts and see if one is better than the other and note the type of grip on the putter that is performing.  It could be that simple.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since I see you have several different back up putters, I will assume they have different type grips. Go and try the other putters on 5-foot putts and see if one is better than the other and note the type of grip on the putter that is performing.  It could be that simple.  

Most do have different grips,   I am probably going to go back to my putter from when I putted best which has a superstore 2.0 grip.  And while that might help my putting when. I am playing it still doesn’t explain why I am putting so poorly from 5’ during most wanted testing.  I used to make 7/8 with every putter regardless of grip, now I am in the 5/6 range and there were a couple of putters the were 2/3.  It has definitely gotten into my head.  

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most do have different grips,   I am probably going to go back to my putter from when I putted best which has a superstore 2.0 grip.  And while that might help my putting when. I am playing it still doesn’t explain why I am putting so poorly from 5’ during most wanted testing.  I used to make 7/8 with every putter regardless of grip, now I am in the 5/6 range and there were a couple of putters the were 2/3.  It has definitely gotten into my head.  

Time to break out the yard stick and putt down the length to see what you are doing.  

Do you have a putting mirror Chris?  Are you sure you’re setting up to it the same regardless of length?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Sounds more like an alignment issue than anything else 🤔

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

31 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Time to break out the yard stick and putt down the length to see what you are doing.  

I have the yardstick and also use a dime a couple of feet in front of the ball.   That was a drill may putting coach gave me back in the day.   

18 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Do you have a putting mirror Chris?  Are you sure you’re setting up to it the same regardless of length?

I don’t have one and have never used one.   What I did instead was use a yardstick or balls and line them up at a hole and make sure when I setup everything looked straight.  I then practiced making sure I could get in the same setup.

10 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Sounds more like an alignment issue than anything else 🤔

Could be, I’m in reset mode and checking everything.  

Try Tiger's one handed putting drill...

I do this at practice and before every round to see how well I am controlling the club face.  Sometimes it takes several putts to get it to feel right; sometimes I make them on the first attempts.  I start with 3-4 footers and move back to 5-6 footers.  One thing I do differently from Tiger is that I set up with both hands in my normal position, then remove my left hand.  I feel like it ensures my hand is in the correct position.  I put my left hand on my left hip to feel if my lower body moves during the putt.  I've been told it does sometimes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Spent a little time this evening checking my setup, stroke path, and impact position with my old TaylorMade putter.  After a little review, I came to realize that I have been standing closer to the ball.  I still want to work through some things,  but standing farther from the ball has given me a little more rotation which is helping to keep the face in a better position in relation to the putters path.   To check how things were going I hit some putts with the Devil Ball and got pretty good results on the advanced setting.     Obviously only a couple of hours of evaluation and going to need some more work;  but like I said in an earlier post I am going to try and go back to what used to work.  

Moving farther from the ball has definitely resulted in some improved putting.   Went to play golf today and was happy with my putting;  start line was good as was speed.    I checked my strokes gained for the round and I actually gained strokes putting on a tour player 🤪

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Moving farther from the ball has definitely resulted in some improved putting.   Went to play golf today and was happy with my putting;  start line was good as was speed.    I checked my strokes gained for the round and I actually gained strokes on a tour player 🤪

This is a good reminder for me I need to get on am actual green and doing some practice.

In the house is great, but on actual grass is a big difference.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 1 month later...

After quite a few bad putting weeks,  I am doing a reset to when I had a putting coach helping me with my putting to see what I need to work on.   

I was at MGS HQ again today so I did some vision testing.   I setup a couple of points on the putting mat that were aligned to a hole about 10 feet away and when I got in my setup,  the points appeared to be aligned left of the hole.   This is known as parallax error and I need to either work on adjusting my setup to make them appear to align with the hole or lean to trust the read.   I tried to fix my setup but was couldn't get the adjustment right.  I also rolled some putts over the mark and made pretty much every 10 footer.    At this point the question is do I continue to try and fix the setup or do I try and convince my subconscious to trust what doesn't look correct.......    I guess the good news is that my actual stroke isn't an issue.  

My way of overcoming the same issue was to put a line on the ball. Line up the line with your intended target line. Then just set up to the line on the ball and trust it. Always trust it! Don't second guess based on what you see once you get in putting position.