CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Found a new instructor and trying to setup a lesson for this week to make sure we are compatible and can start to achieve some of my desired swing improvements.   Essentially my high level goals are to:
1. Build a reliable stock shot. 
2. Improve overall ball contact by reducing fat/thin/toe strikes.
3. Improve face control. 

On course measurements will be to increase FW and GIR percentages.  I typically hit 8ish FW and greens during a round and would like to see those numbers improve.  While FW % isn't really all that critical and I prefer to look at if I am able to advance the ball and have a chance to land on the green I think hitting a few more FWs would be beneficial.   I'd like to bump up the GIR to average 11ish per round.    My thought is that this would save me 3-6 shots per round getting my scores down to averaging mid to mid-high 70s.     depending on how quickly I progress with the lessons,  maybe do some finesse and distance wedge work.   

I wish I had your GIR.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

I'd like to bump up the GIR to average 11ish per round.

I've been really trying to bump up my GIR as well, when I can get to the green "on time" the game is so much easier. I know it's been a journey of a lot of hard work, but it's really cool to see the growth you've experienced persevering through different frustrations.

Do you use any kind of stat or shot tracking systems? I'd be curious to hear your strokes gained in the different areas of the game.

• Like 3

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

9 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I've been really trying to bump up my GIR as well, when I can get to the green "on time" the game is so much easier. I know it's been a journey of a lot of hard work, but it's really cool to see the growth you've experienced persevering through different frustrations.

Do you use any kind of stat or shot tracking systems? I'd be curious to hear your strokes gained in the different areas of the game.

Hitting greens definitely  makes the game easier.  Hit 11 today and shot 79 with 2 doubles on the card.  Getting through the short game woes was really the biggest frustration and it has really just been in the past month or so that things really clicked and I am building confidence.   

Unfortunately I don't have any stat tracking systems.  I have done some of the phone based systems (18 birdies, myroundpro) and got really distracted during the round so I stopped.   One of these days I'll probably end up with one of them but I am sure it will say I need to work on all areas of my game 🤣 

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Unfortunately I don't have any stat tracking systems.  I have done some of the phone based systems (18 birdies, myroundpro) and got really distracted during the round so I stopped.   One of these days I'll probably end up with one of them but I am sure it will say I need to work on all areas of my game 🤣 

Haha I feel ya! I think stat tracking apps are most interesting when they get put into the hands of self-aware golfers, because sometimes their assumptions are spot on and sometimes they don't realize areas they are way better/worse than they anticipated. When I first started Arccos I would have guessed that putting was a strength and my penalties off the tee weren't helping, but was surprised at how much of a strength my putting was, and how badly I was crippling myself with the penalties off the tee. I was also surprised to know how poor my approach game was. Would love to hear if your stats lined up with where you thought or not.

• Like 4

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 6/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, cnosil said:

Yep.  Tracking stats/shots/yards/swings etc. takes a lot of work and brain power that I could use to play better golf.  I use 18 birdies for GPS only.  I'm not anywhere the player you are, so I definitely don't need any extra distraction on the course. 😉

• Like 2

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:Hogan: BH-5 irons, 4-PW, stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:srixon-small: Soft Feel golf ball

Wish list - Srixon ZX5 or 7 irons, Sub70 699 pro irons, Callaway Jaws gap wedge, Vokey gap wedge

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

First lesson in my series was today;  got along pretty well with the instructor and I think he is going to be able to help me out.  Always find it funny when I talk to an instructor about my game and then they see me swing the wonder what is wrong with my game and they think I should always score in the 70s. 😜    I don't disagree,  but I just can't make it happen.   

Did some warmup swings and he watched while I hit my shots.  None were too bad and most were slight pull draws.  After about 5 shots he stopped me and mentioned ball position and it being way too far forward so we moved it back in my stance and the pull draw turned into a perfect shot starting right of the target and curving back onto the target line.   He also noticed my swing gets a little long and across the line.   We switched to a long iron to see how I was hitting them and to see if we could get some of the big snap hooks or big right pushes.  Not horrible but we talked about how the missed are increased as the clubs get longer.  He also noticed that I need to sequence a little better and get the hips rotating some more.    Drills and things to help are:

1.  put a tee or popsicle stick in the back of my glove to keep my wrist flat to bowed to keep me from going over the line at the top of the backswing

2.  Tempo drill where you swing the club forward and then make a full swing.   This helps me with sequencing and shorting the backswing.  Additionally it works on my tempo to keep me from swinging to fast which was resting in the push ball flight

3.  start at impact position and then make a full swing.  Another drill to help remind me to get the hips rotating.  

Overall he didn't think the swing needed a lot of work and that if I practiced using the above drills I should quickly get my swing in line especially moving the ball back in the stance.  With the ball back I will be in a better position and it will help with face control.  

Future plans:   Start the next lesson and take a look at the full swing and then transition to evaluating wedge play and then getting out on the course to see if we can see what might be causing the big misses I experience during my rounds. 

Sounds like a good plan.  Sometimes it doesn't take much to make significant changes.  Hope you see good results.

I'm just the opposite... I used to play the ball further back in my stance, but I make much better contact with the ball off my shirt logo.  Any further back and it's fat city.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds like a good plan.  Sometimes it doesn't take much to make significant changes.  Hope you see good results.

I'm just the opposite... I used to play the ball further back in my stance, but I make much better contact with the ball off my shirt logo.  Any further back and it's fat city.

That is probably about where I was playing the ball and the assessment was that cannot see me to manipulate the face and I either shut it down or held it open.  We moved it back to “center”  that when looking at me face on was on the button line of the shirt, but from my perspective looked like the ball was behind my buttons.   

Hoping for good results and this is why I wanted to see someone in person.  He was able to the swing live and we could make adjustments in real-time.  I didn’t think I need many changes and mostly tweaks and if I was doing video exchange it would have been a multi day process.   

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

After about 5 shots he stopped me and mentioned ball position and it being way too far forward so we moved it back in my stance and the pull draw turned into a perfect shot starting right of the target and curving back onto the target line. 

It's always amazing to me how the *slightest* adjustment can have such a -large- effect!!

Golf really is a game of continual learning and refinement .. sounds like you've found a really good instructor .. and looking forward to reading about all those upcoming near-par rounds 👍

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Rogue ST Max OS 4H (PX Cypher Black 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Couple of days post lesson and I have gotten a practice session and a 9 hole league match under my belt.  Practice session didn’t go well with lots of fat shots so I was worried going into my league round.   Had hoped to hit a bucket prior to the round but due to all day rain the short game and driving range we’re closed so it was going to be a commit and hope kind of round 😂

How did it go?  Score was terrible due to 2 triples on par 5s that were the result of tee shots that went OB so I finished 7 over.   Iron and hybrids were solid; the changes seem to be producing better ball flight and more solid shots and reduced toe strikes. Driver is going to need a little tweak to get ball position correct;  I moved it back based on the discussion with my instructor and ended up pushing and push fading almost all my tee shots.   it will be a topic of conversation at my next lesson.   

Will have to see how it goes Sunday during my next round but looks like lesson 2 may be driver setup and then spending time on short game.  

• Like 4

Haven't been able to get a second lesson setup due to some conflicts but I have been working on my swing.   I have been playing league matches, normal weekend round,  and hitting hybrids as part of most wanted testing and am happy with my how my ball striking is progressing.  I'm finding that my right hand is a key to the ball direction.   I am guessing I have a tendency to release my right hand which causes the pulled toe strike.    When I keep my wrist in extension I am getting good ball flight.   Just needs to be a focus area or pre swing thought.        Kind or eager to get another lesson setup so I can keep working on improving.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven’t been able to get back for another lesson…instructor and his family had COVID.    

since I am forum testing the Shot Scope imam starting to capture some metrics.   
with 2 1/2 rounds captured, I don’t have a lot of data but starting to see trends.   Need to work on approach shots and short game shots <25 yards.  

in general, contact is becoming much better with the irons - mostly center contact, very few fat shots, thin is my miss especially when I try to get a little extra out if a club, and I am struggling with a push.  Scoring isn’t there but I think mentally I am trying to guide/finesse shots instead of just making a swing.  

5775C961-14B3-4057-9DE3-7DCA01F74839.png.7765fb54dee29957472e650ee6b2374a.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Scoring isn’t there but I think mentally I am trying to guide/finesse shots instead of just making a swing.

Interesting comment - something that applies to my swing/game as well...

Fwiw been trying to focus better on / be more careful with aim and alignment .. especially with approaches and wedges. Heard a good line recently = "Aim better, Play better" 😃

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen5 0811XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0 or Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/A)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Rogue ST Max OS 4H (PX Cypher Black 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

thin is my miss especially when I try to get a little extra out if a club,

I have a similar issue, and it happens in both driver and irons.  My worst shot with my driver is a high, short push fade that is caused by dropping my right shoulder in the downswing in a effort to hit the ball a little higher for more distance... usually when downwind.

To a lesser extend that happens with an iron when trying "to get a little extra" out of it.  As long as I just make a normal swing, I don't hit thin shots.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was finally able to get the second lesson in my series after a series of events kept causing it to get delayed.   The benefit was that I had longer to practice and play to work on the things from my last lesson.   Had a couple of poor rounds, but in general average score is trending down.    

We started off hitting some full shots just to validate that the things we worked on last time were progressing.  Swing was looking good just needed to tweak the alignment a little bit.   

Worked on some finesse and distance wedges.....my weakness 🙂   Like the full swing,  we moved the ball position a little farther back and talked about letting gravity move the club through the swing and not physically moving the club through the swing.   Leveraged the ball position and swing tweaks and tested distance control by hitting various targets and varying ball flight.    

Went to some other parts of range and hit some uphill, downhill, ball above feet, and ball below feet shots.   No real swing changes and we talked about the various things to do to hit these situations more effectively.   Essentially for me,  ball position is key.   

Putting green was next to evaluate my putting putting.   No changes to the putting stroke and ended up having some discussions on expectations, the mentality for putting and some drills to help get the ball to the hole.     

Overall everything has just been small tweaks in ball position, alignment, and tempo;  nothing really major.     Going to spend a couple of weeks working on ingraining these skills and then setup the third lesson in my series.   The next lesson we are hitting the course to assess what might be happening there when you only have one shot to execute.   so far I am happy with the changes we have made as my ball striking has significantly improved and am simply amazed by how much small tweaks can influence the swing.    Eager to get out on the course and see how these changes translate to the course.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Goober said:

Doing great sir. Looks like your tweaks have been minor compared to mine 

Thanks and Yep, pretty minor stuff. Probably need to focus and think before I take shots when on the course.  I hate to say “swing thoughts”, but probably need some basic setup check list items before I make my swing.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, cnosil said:

Hitting greens definitely  makes the game easier.  Hit 11 today and shot 79 with 2 doubles on the card.  Getting through the short game woes was really the biggest frustration and it has really just been in the past month or so that things really clicked and I am building confidence.   

That's why I don't do too much stat tracking anymore either.  I spent more time trying to get the stat right instead of playing the game. Now I just play to enjoy the game.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Stars

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

1 hour ago, MDGolfHacker said:

That's why I don't do too much stat tracking anymore either.  I spent more time trying to get the stat right instead of playing the game. Now I just play to enjoy the game.

MDGolfHacker

I agree.  I don't need a stat tracker to tell me what I already know about my game.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great weekend of golf; 36 holes with a bunch of spies.    Was really happy with most everything about my game.  As I look back over the weekend tee game, approach game, and putting my game was solid.   I felt there were some inconsistencies in my short game that led to my scores of bogeys and worse.  I did hit some great finesse shots around the green but also some awful ones.  50 yards and in continues to be my major stumbling block.  Need to figure out how to move short game skills from the range to the course on a consistent basis.  

After some discussions at the spy get together, may try some equipment tweaks.   I did a Titleist wedge fitting and based on some feedback, I may have to big of a weight difference between my iron shafts and wedge shafts.  Might try some 95 or 105 graphite shafts.  

I still have a few lessons left and at this point, not sure what I want to cover during them.  

• Like 6