Our Sponsors

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have 8 drills that cover 4 major areas.

Sounds good, thx. And sounds like this coach has been really helpful to you .. I'll keep him in mind!

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a few threads detailing individuals paths to getting better.  Some want to break into the 80s,  some want to be single digit, some are trying to achieve scratch golf,  I am trying to get to

I am now a couple of weeks into working on my swing.  Most evenings I am running through most of the practice plan provided by my coach.   The plan is a bunch of drills designed to work on pressu

Sure.   Yes,  I identify a target standing behind the ball and determine how I want the ball to fly (generally play a straight to slight draw ball flight).  I walk up, set my club pointing in the dire

Posted Images

Today was another session of players distance iron testing club of the day was 7 irons.   Part of my goal was to work on ball center contact, not making too big of a swing, and not really going after the ball.   Contact was decent and as you can see from some of my numbers a bit on the toe, but definitely playable.    Tomorrow; unless it rains,  I will be playing in a league match.  

IMG_0533.JPG.fb59c532f170c445e443715e359ab542.JPG

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

League night:  scored horribly (8 over).   From the tees we play for league,  most of the holes are driver/wedge and the Par 3's are 9 iron or less.   Really struggled with fat shots when hitting distance wedges.  Hit some 7 irons to check where I was entering the ground; used a little foot spray to help.  In the image below I worked from top to bottom and you can see the first few were definitely fat.  Getting better with center face contact,  but low point control is a struggle.  

IMG_0534.JPG.3238bb4d22740724d78d5b5838e21d42.JPG

• Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I will be following along.  I too have been struggling lately.  My handicap is starting to creep in the wrong direction as well.  I like the idea of blogging it! 

• Like 3

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

My regular group wasn't able to play today so I took that as an opportunity to hit the range.    Need some better foot powder since ground/grass impact rubbed everything off making it hard to determine exact impact.   Some of the key things that seem to significantly impact my results:

1.  Backswing length.   Too long and fats/off center seem to be more in play
  2. Alignment.  I have a tendency to setup closed which seems to bring more pushes/pull hooks into play.  
  3. Aim identification.   Occasionally i had the tendency to not lock a target into my mind before swinging.  When I thought about where I wanted the ball to go,  results were much better.   This is an issue about lack of focus that I need to make sure i pay attention too when actually playing
  4. Just slowing down and having better tempo.  As I think back to my testing at MGS, this seems to be an overall problem.   During testing, my warmup shots appear to be much better overall (contact, face impact location, etc).   

Basically 1 and 4 point to the fact I am trying to hit the ball too hard.   Need to focus on a relaxed even tempo swing. 

Experimented with distances wedges and it appears that my results are much better using my 51* gap wedge instead of my 54* sand wedge.  Going to switch my primary short game club.  

Going to try and get a couple of most wanted testing sessions in before my next on course round.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Interesting self-critiquing .. and *NOT* comparing our games in any way, but those points you listed do seem very applicable to where I'm currently at - and I especially like the point about focus; only small change is I tend to set up a touch open when I rush/am not careful. I also need to work on hitting the ball better vs harder.

Glad to hear about your on-going progress!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Interesting self-critiquing .. and *NOT* comparing our games in any way, but those points you listed do seem very applicable to where I'm currently at - and I especially like the point about focus; only small change is I tend to set up a touch open when I rush/am not careful. I also need to work on hitting the ball better vs harder.

Glad to hear about your on-going progress!

The focus thing is really interesting.  We always hear mental coaches discussing that you shouldn't think about the water or the hazard as your last thought because that is what you are thinking about.   When I struggle,  I pick out a tree or a stake or like today I was looking at a gap between some trees at the end of the fairway.  I believe that subconciously we make the ball go to that point.  I see this also when I am putting;  if someone talks about a spot left of right of the hole,  that is where I tend to have my ball end up which is why I think about the speed along a curve that ends up at the hole.  

The backswing and alignment was something my instructor pointed out last time we got together. 

As I titled the thread,  it is a journey and I don't expect to put everything together right away.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, cnosil said:
  1. Aim identification.   Occasionally i had the tendency to not lock a target into my mind before swinging.  When I thought about where I wanted the ball to go,  results were much better.   This is an issue about lack of focus that I need to make sure i pay attention too when actually playing
  2. Just slowing down and having better tempo.  As I think back to my testing at MGS, this seems to be an overall problem.   During testing, my warmup shots appear to be much better overall (contact, face impact location, etc).   

My HI is higher than yours and I’m guilty of all four of your points - but could you expand on “aim identification?” While I have a target in mind, I aim in taking my stance, and don’t think about it after that. I’ve read about visualizing each shot, but I’ve never done that - I assume if I have the right club and I line up correctly, aim is done?

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Great stuff so far @cnosil, I'm really enjoying how you're breaking down each goal you want to achieve and how you're implementing a plan to achieve each goal. As someone who struggles with both alignment and low point, it'll be educational to see how you tackle those problems. I've seen the drill with foot spray, but have never used it, you just inspired me to give it a go. Best of luck to you in this journey!

• Like 5
16 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is something I do very consistently with my pitches, chips, and putts.  During those preshot I identify the general area I want to land the ball or the line I want the ball to roll along.   Before I swing I really focus on that landing spot or part of the hole where the ball will enter the hole.  I believe this helps me dial in the feel necessary to have the ball hit that spot.  

When I'm playing my best, this is what I do also. I believe Adam Young refers to this as an "external focus," and his belief is that the body self-organizes to achieve the desired outcome/shot. Certainly some people may be better with "internal focuses" like a specific swing thought or position, or a combo of both.

I believe Dr. Bob Rotella talks about this is one of his books as well. 

Very good thread so far. Enjoying reading it.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

It has been a couple of weeks since I have been on the course;  last week was a day at the practice range.    I have been doing me practice plan which is designed to help work on turn, backswing length, grip, and sequencing.    This week,  I had a good score for the round;  a few holes/shots that were bad;  some I recovered from and one resulted in a double.    Overall I had 4 birdies, 5 bogies, and a double.   While my short game was better, I only got up and down 2 times on 8 attempts.    Pull hooks were the issue with both tee and approach shots.  I was happy that while I had pull hooks,  I didn't hit anything fat.   Progress is being made;  just need to continue the forward progress. 

• Like 6

On 7/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, cnosil said:

Today was another session of players distance iron testing ....

Was just taking another look at the LM graphic in the post above, and started wondering .....

@cnosil in your opinion -- do you think hitting off a mat has a tendency to reduce the vertical contact point (of an iron)..?

Or is it a negligible, or zero, effect?

• Like 1

Was just taking another look at the LM graphic in the post above, and started wondering .....
[mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] in your opinion -- do you think hitting off a mat has a tendency to reduce the vertical contact point (of an iron)..?
Or is it a negligible, or zero, effect?

In my opinion I would say no. With an ideal swing, the ball is contacted first so you would have the same impact location. I do know that hitting the ball fat will cause contact high on the face since the ball bounces a little.
  • Like 1

K, thx!

Entering the "next phase" of the journey.  Had an online meeting to talk about course strategy and how to play a course from a target perspective.   Going to start with some basic stats like GIR, approach distance, and, first putt distance to start figuring out areas of my game that need additional attention.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Entering the "next phase" of the journey.  Had an online meeting to talk about course strategy and how to play a course from a target perspective.   Going to start with some basic stats like GIR, approach distance, and, first putt distance to start figuring out areas of my game that need additional attention.  

Love following the journey. Your tips on putting have already improved my putting and I have been trying to get out an extra 1-2 times a week on the practice green. I guess practice truly is the key! How is the swing feeling?

• Like 4

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Love following the journey. Your tips on putting have already improved my putting and I have been trying to get out an extra 1-2 times a week on the practice green. I guess practice truly is the key! How is the swing feeling?

Glad to hear that some of the information I have provided is helping.

Swing seems to be doing well. The feeling of rotating around my left side instead of the right side has been a major improvement to my swing. Less fat shots and more center on the face. Still working on downswing to minimize my big pull hook miss. Supposed to be getting another drill to help with that. The amazing thing to me is how much the minor swing change has helped my short game. Even though I thought I was staying in my left side for short game shots I wasn’t which moved ground contact back.
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Played this past weekend and while my score was ok (83),  my ball striking was good with most shots hitting near the center of the face.   Short game (chipping and putting) were a struggle.  I think I need to look at my mental focus and staying in the shot; I am thinking I am just going through the motions on some of the bad swings.  

Did most wanted testing for the past couple of days and the number of fat shots and mishits was pretty low. 

• Like 4