CNosil - Journey to a better golf game

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It is  probably the one I was actually looking for. I have seen another one that I think did a better job of explaining.   This is why instruction is so important.  You have to see what the player is doing and find something that works for that player.  My problem was that I was firing both the hips and shoulders at the same time and causing my hands to go out and not down.  This is why we worked on isolating the hips to start the lesson; the thought was keep back toward target and get the thighs in line again.  This one move did quite a few things for me.  It shortened my swing and prevented me from hinging my wrists more at the top of the backswing,  it caused my hands to start the drop down, and it gave me the necessary connection between the arm and chest.  This was a feel I  personally needed to get my swing in better sequence.  When I got the timings down,  my swing looked really good and I was hitting the center of the face. 

And that is what you need.  There is no time in the swing to really consciously make these moves.  We were doing them in slow motion and stepping through the swing.  None of this was done at full speed during the lesson.  We were doing pretty much everything at 60%.  

That is why I like my coach,  he doesn't tell me what I should feel.  We talk about what I need to do and I come up with the feels.  

Exactly.  Tailor the suit to the person.  Buying custom tailored vs off the rack.  The former will always look and perform better.  I’m a firm believer that the golfer needs to understand their motion in their own way, terms, and concepts.  For some, data and visuals work well.  For others, it’s an internal focus and feelings. To each their own at the end of the day the ball flight tells the tale.

Edited by ChasingScratch
  • Like 4

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

Twitter: @GolfSpy_CS

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

Ball:  :taylormade-small: 2019 TP5X

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

That is why I like my coach,  he doesn't tell me what I should feel.  We talk about what I need to do and I come up with the feels.  

Mine's the same way. We talk about feels, but they're my feels, not what he feels or what I should be feeling.

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Mine's the same way. We talk about feels, but they're my feels, not what he feels or what I should be feeling.

And that's when I start feeling like a 30 HCP.  🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, cnosil said:

.. it became clear that the problem was the right elbow.   This is going to be the hard part for me to get incorporated

Interesting...

As a higher handicapper, one of my (..way too many...) swing problems is keeping my right (trail) elbow tucked in too close to my body for too long - so I seem to be using more body rotation to move the club vs a better pronounced lateral shift targetward (and letting the arms and hands "drop into the slot"). 

One of the consequences of this, for me, is more toe strikes and/or cutting across the ball and putting slice spin on it...

Been working on this in lessons and practice, and playing yesterday I tried to emphasize the "shift" and started missing left more often ... so maybe we'll call that a bit of intermediate progress for now 🤪

• Like 5

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Interesting...

As a higher handicapper, one of my (..way too many...) swing problems is keeping my right (trail) elbow tucked in too close to my body for too long - so I seem to be using more body rotation to move the club vs a better pronounced lateral shift targetward (and letting the arms and hands "drop into the slot"). 

One of the consequences of this, for me, is more toe strikes and/or cutting across the ball and putting slice spin on it...

Been working on this in lessons and practice, and playing yesterday I tried to emphasize the "shift" and started missing left more often ... so maybe we'll call that a bit of intermediate progress for now 🤪

Not to cross-promote here, but you should check out my thread on my swing overhaul.  I'm working on the right arm in the backswing as well.  You might find some nuggets there that may help you.  I also had a very compact right arm in the backswing (see my profile picture as an example).  It really moves the hands much farther away from the center of the body than is necessary and makes for the need for much more compensatory moves in the downswing.  Lots of distance to cover compared to the PGA tour average position.

• Like 3

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

Twitter: @GolfSpy_CS

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

Ball:  :taylormade-small: 2019 TP5X

I am basically a week out from my lesson and have hit balls, played a 9 hole league match, and my weekly 18.  Ball striking seems better with more centered ball contact but I still get the big toe miss.  As I am incorporating this change I really need to focus on the takeaway and transition to hit the better shots; when I don’t thing about the swing before making the swing I see the misfits.  I have to stay focused on every swing or I am pretty sure I am falling back to the old swing.   Am I doing this correctly when I think about it?  That is the big unknown as I need a camera setup to really see what is going on with the right elbow.   Was going to buy a tour stroke smart ball but they are sold out; going to see if I can borrow Phillips at MGS. 

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am basically a week out from my lesson and have hit balls, played a 9 hole league match, and my weekly 18.  Ball striking seems better with more centered ball contact but I still get the big toe miss.  As I am incorporating this change I really need to focus on the takeaway and transition to hit the better shots; when I don’t thing about the swing before making the swing I see the misfits.  I have to stay focused on every swing or I am pretty sure I am falling back to the old swing.   Am I doing this correctly when I think about it?  That is the big unknown as I need a camera setup to really see what is going on with the right elbow.   Was going to buy a tour stroke smart ball but they are sold out; going to see if I can borrow Phillips at MGS. 

Check Watson golf they have a similar style ball but without the lanyard. Or just a small ball you can buy at a sporting goods store or five below should work

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, ChasingScratch said:

Not to cross-promote here, but you should check out my thread on my swing overhaul.  I'm working on the right arm in the backswing as well.  You might find some nuggets there that may help you.

I did .. and I did! Thx 👍

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

As I am incorporating this change I really need to focus on the takeaway and transition to hit the better shots; when I don’t thing about the swing before making the swing I see the misfits.  I have to stay focused on every swing or I am pretty sure I am falling back to the old swing.

Really interesting you'd mentioned that...

My lessons are definitely helping me, and definitely starting to hit a few (emphasized) shots on the course when it counts, BUT - can tell the difference when I rush or lose focus and feel the old (well-ingrained) bad habits pop up.

On-going work in progress, amiright???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Check Watson golf they have a similar style ball but without the lanyard. Or just a small ball you can buy at a sporting goods store or five below should work

Saw the Watson structureball product; it attaches to you arm and there are knockoffs of the smart ball on amazon. I could also try the shallower from Gankas.  I’ve tried balls that I have around the house but they just aren’t right.  I am also going to see if I can find a pool floatie that goes around your forearm.  The best option is still borrowing the one from Phillip 😁

• Like 3

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got a quick video of my swing today.  Still need to stand a little closer, but contact is more centered and right elbow isn't horrible. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Got a quick video of my swing today.  Still need to stand a little closer, but contact is more centered and right elbow isn't horrible. 

Looking good right there. Looks like the hard work is paying off.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Nice swing of Martin Laird... now put your swing up!  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.    Full swing is more under control and toe strikes have been drastically reduced.  The changes to the full swing seem to have improved the short game swings as well.

Going to focus a bit more on my mid distance putting and putting focus.   I am going to work on focus because it is becoming apparent that when hitting the mid range putts I am making too many bad swings.   I have lots of confidence in my distance control, but occasionally I make really bad strokes that leave the putts significantly short.  This leads to a bit of frustration as I try to make the next putt.  Going to work on enhancing the pre-putt routine to make sure I am mentally prepared to make the stroke.   I have also noticed a little bit of a face control issue on the mid length putts. Been spending time recently on face control drills and am finding that this issue seems to tie back to the focus issue. 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.   

This was one of my most frustrating experiences last year. I felt like I was playing better but the low scores weren't there. However the range of scores closed considerably. It was a hard mental shift. I did reach my lowest index ever, so while it may not feel like it the progress is there. 

• Like 5

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.    Full swing is more under control and toe strikes have been drastically reduced.  The changes to the full swing seem to have improved the short game swings as well.

Going to focus a bit more on my mid distance putting and putting focus.   I am going to work on focus because it is becoming apparent that when hitting the mid range putts I am making too many bad swings.   I have lots of confidence in my distance control, but occasionally I make really bad strokes that leave the putts significantly short.  This leads to a bit of frustration as I try to make the next putt.  Going to work on enhancing the pre-putt routine to make sure I am mentally prepared to make the stroke.   I have also noticed a little bit of a face control issue on the mid length putts. Been spending time recently on face control drills and am finding that this issue seems to tie back to the focus issue. 

I am in the same place currently. Not getting super low scores lately but have not been much higher than mid-80s which I will take when I still bounced into the 90s from time to time

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Progress on my game continues; while my low end of my scoring hasn’t improved, I feel like my high end has come down.

To echo @THEZIPR23 and @ejgaudette, I'm in the exact same place myself! Been hard to be content with that, but I'll walk off the course now feeling like I had no swing whatsoever that day and still be able to keep my bad rounds in check score-wise.

Beginning to understand just how hard it is to shoot near par consistently. There's just so much luck involved, on top of the incredible amount of skill required.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.5 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 19, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

Beginning to understand just how hard it is to shoot near par consistently. There's just so much luck involved, on top of the incredible amount of skill required.

I think that is what's holding me back!!  I only have a marginal amount of skill, and if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Seems to be a common theme.  In my own progress, I recognized that I'm striking the ball better and making fewer really errant swings.  With cleaner ball striking and improved short game, the numbers still don't reflect that improvement (yet).  I know it's closer to where I want to be and I know that if I continue to work on it, the scores will follow.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Keep up the good work @cnosil! Even though you're not seeing the low end of your scoring spectrum going down, at least the high scores are starting to drop. That sounds like progress to me. 

• Like 2