Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dustin Johnson collects 21st Tour Win & WITB

Golfspy_CG2

DUSTIN JOHNSON COLLECTS 21ST PGA TOUR VICTORY AND MAIDEN WIN FOR TAYLORMADE SIM DRIVER AND TRUSS PUTTER

Team TaylorMade's Dustin Johnson wins the Travelers Championship keeping his streak of winning every season on the PGA TOUR since turning professional in 2008.

Carlsbad, Calif. (June 28, 2020) - In just the third event back since the PGA TOUR re-start, TaylorMade's Dustin Johnson added two SIM Max rescues and a Truss TB1 putter to his bag at TPC River Highlands to claim a one-shot victory in the Travelers Championship. His first win in 2020, Dustin Johnson now has 21 wins on the PGA TOUR and ties Tiger Woods with the most number of PGA TOUR wins since 2008 (the year DJ turned pro).

357769 gettyimages 1252909490 8ed3dc large 1593382649

Dustin's Truss TB1 putter. © Getty Images

Dustin made some key changes to his bag this week adding a brand new putter, Truss TB1 and two SIM Max rescues. DJ has switched between blade and mallet style putters during his career, loving the look and feel of a blade, but the stability and roll with mallets. With Truss, he has the stability through the truss structure on the hosel and the roll from the PureRoll™ insert. Here are the specs of his Truss TB1:

• Loft: 3°
  • Lie: 70°
  • Length: 35.75"
  • Swing Weight: E0
  • Grip: SuperStroke Pistol GT

Using a SIM driver, SIM Max fairway, two SIM Max rescues and a TP5 golf ball, DJ carded rounds of 69-64-61-67 to win by 1 shot at -19. 

357771 gettyimages 1253120567 3fef85 large 1593382790

One of DJ's two SIM Max rescues in the bag this week. © Getty Images

NEED TO KNOW

• DJ maintains his streak of having won in each of the last 13 seasons on PGA TOUR since turning pro
  • Maiden victory on the PGA TOUR for SIM driver and Truss putter
  • This was the first week DJ had used Truss TB1
  • DJ gained +1.532 strokes in Putting this week at Travelers Championship
  • Dustin jumps to number 3 in the OWGR
  • DJ now ties Tiger Woods for the most number of PGA TOUR wins (21) since 2008

DUSTIN JOHNSON WITB

• SIM 10.5° driver
  • SIM Max 15.0° fairway
  • SIM Max 19.0° rescue
  • SIM Max 22.0 rescue
  • P730 4-PW irons
  • MG2 52° and 60° wedges
  • Truss TB1 putter
  • TP5X ball #1

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Check out his wedge lofts. An 8 degree gap.  And us internet golfers obsess over maintaining a 4 to 5 degree gap 😎

Seems surprising that this is the first victory for a SIM, but then again we were off for almost 3 months.  

I rolled a few with the Truss recently at the PGA Store recently, really doesn't look as weird over the ball as it looks in the bag

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

3 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

Seems surprising that this is the first victory for a SIM, but then again we were off for almost 3 months.  

I rolled a few with the Truss recently at the PGA Store recently, really doesn't look as weird over the ball as it looks in the bag

Yep and he kept his streak going of at least one win every year since he has been on tour. I was worried this year that maybe he would not with the short season and his slow start. Yep from what I have read those Truss putters were not selling well. I bet by 12:00 tomorrow there will not be any in stores around here.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep and he kept his streak going of at least one win every year since he has been on tour. I was worried this year that maybe he would not with the short season and his slow start. Yep from what I have read those Truss putters were not selling well. I bet by 12:00 tomorrow there will not be any in stores around here.

Ha. I bet you're right Stu.  Despite us hard core Spies and other forum site members saying they aren't influenced by Tour use, the average consumer absolutely is.  That putter got a lot of airtime today and will get sales as a result. 

Also DJ playing the SIM hybrids will do so as well.  I have one from our demo cart in my bag that I'm trying out.  Haven't had the right time on the course to hit it and our range is tough to judge distances on. 

12 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

Yeah I don't recall much about who the winners were in Jan & Feb, but niether Berger or Webb plays the SIM. 

That's what I have heard about it. The triangle truss thing is hidden very well at address.  If it turns out to be the magic wand for DJ.  Watch out. 

I love DJ... I could only wish to have the John Wayne swagger he has on the golf course!

1469542277_JohnWayne.gif.aae296202fe4a57d9ce929c8a4b43ea5.gif

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

10 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I love DJ... I could only wish to have the John Wayne swagger he has on the golf course!

1469542277_JohnWayne.gif.aae296202fe4a57d9ce929c8a4b43ea5.gif

Yep the guy is as cool as a cucumber.  

I had the chance to spend time.with  him at a TM event 7 years ago.  Had lunch and got to watch him on the range.  He's very friendly in that low key, everything is good, kinda way.  

I've been a fan since. 

Great win for DJ.  I was also wondering if he could win this year.  His previous starts weren't very good.

Wasn't that one of the rescues that he almost put in the water on the short par 4?  The ponds on my course have steep drop-offs so there is no standing in the water to hit a shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

52 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Great win for DJ.  I was also wondering if he could win this year.  His previous starts weren't very good.

Wasn't that one of the rescues that he almost put in the water on the short par 4?  The ponds on my course have steep drop-offs so there is no standing in the water to hit a shot.

Yes. I think Dottie confirmed it was the 19 degree which he said he carries 265.   I think they said the front of the green was 267. 

Yeah. Amazing it stayed up.   Nick Faldo is starting to get on my nerves.  He said it came in there with 150 speed and stopped.   Uh No Nick!! It was 150 mph when it left the clubface.  Pretty sure it didn't maintain that speed for 260 yards 🤦‍♂️

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep the guy is as cool as a cucumber.  

I had the chance to spend time.with  him at a TM event 7 years ago.  Had lunch and got to watch him on the range.  He's very friendly in that low key, everything is good, kinda way.  

I've been a fan since. 

I met him back when he was a Junior at Coastal Carolina University. We played behind them one Sunday at the Hackler Course which is CCU's home course. It was crowded and we got to chat and cut up. Of course no one knew him then. I won a bet on a hole a Par 4 which he drove with a 3 wood. I had bet one of my buds he was on the green and he was. He was really long then. He was not rich and famous then and I slipped him $20 because I won the bet and it was funny that I won it off the a$$hat I won it off of. A few years later I ran into him at a friend's club shop. My friend did all his club work in college and early tour days. My friend was going to introduce us and DJ said " I know Stu"-- He was all the time giving us TM golf balls when he hit town. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

There was a back and forth going on between No Laying Up and Scott Fawcett on Twitter last night about the strip of rough left of the green.

The basics are that the 15th hole is the riskiest short par 4 tee shot on Tour by a significant margin. And that's with the rough up along the water.

NLU contested it was playing too easy because, after round 3, of the 100 tee shots hit left, only 42 ended up in the water.

Even then, based on stats compiled from Lou Stagner, about 10.5% of tee shots on 15 lose more than 0.9 strokes to the field. That's close to double the percentage of the next riskiest short par 4.

Long story short, DJ caught a fortuitous break there for sure, but without that rough, he's laying up.

As for Faldo, he's fast becoming quite the blowhard.

Yes. I think Dottie confirmed it was the 19 degree which he said he carries 265.   I think they said the front of the green was 267. 
Yeah. Amazing it stayed up.   Nick Faldo is starting to get on my nerves.  He said it came in there with 150 speed and stopped.   Uh No Nick!! It was 150 mph when it left the clubface.  Pretty sure it didn't maintain that speed for 260 yards

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I met him back when he was a Junior at Coastal Carolina University. We played behind them one Sunday at the Hackler Course which is CCU's home course. It was crowded and we got to chat and cut up. Of course no one knew him then. I won a bet on a hole a Par 4 which he drove with a 3 wood. I had bet one of my buds he was on the green and he was. He was really long then. He was not rich and famous then and I slipped him $20 because I won the bet and it was funny that I won it off the a$$hat I won it off of. A few years later I ran into him at a friend's club shop. My friend did all his club work in college and early tour days. My friend was going to introduce us and DJ said " I know Stu"-- He was all the time giving us TM golf balls when he hit town. 

Good stuff, yesterday morning on GC they did a piece on his younger days and they talked to his college Coach Allen Terrel, I think I may have the name wrong.  But I'll be 100% honest when they showed him and knowing he was the coach at CCU, I said, I bet Stu knows him well.    I didn't know that back story though, that's pretty cool!

6 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

There was a back and forth going on between No Laying Up and Scott Fawcett on Twitter last night about the strip of rough left of the green.

The basics are that the 15th hole is the riskiest short par 4 tee shot on Tour by a significant margin. And that's with the rough up along the water.

NLU contested it was playing too easy because, after round 3, of the 100 tee shots hit left, only 42 ended up in the water.

Even then, based on stats compiled from Lou Stagner, about 10.5% of tee shots on 15 lose more than 0.9 strokes to the field. That's close to double the percentage of the next riskiest short par 4.

Long story short, DJ caught a fortuitous break there for sure, but without that rough, he's laying up.

As for Faldo, he's fast becoming quite the blowhard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice Lou Stagner reference, very timely as well, as he is credited in the blog pieces that went up this monring on doing the data analysis for the Most Wanted Testing!

14 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Check out his wedge lofts. An 8 degree gap.  And us internet golfers obsess over maintaining a 4 to 5 degree gap 😎

TM p730 4iron is 24 degrees and he has a 22 degree hybrid.  Interesting.... he must've taken out one of his wedges to add that.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

TM p730 4iron is 24 degrees and he has a 22 degree hybrid.  Interesting.... he must've taken out one of his wedges to add that.

Yeah, as @BIG STU pointed out yesterday, he's got 4 headcovers--not counting the putter in his bag.  His is starting to look a lot like mine 🤪

14 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And he has a 5* between pw and gap. Also he had the 60 bent to 62 earlier in the year.

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

His setup before the tour shutdown was only 13 clubs

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Good stuff, yesterday morning on GC they did a piece on his younger days and they talked to his college Coach Allen Terrel, I think I may have the name wrong.  But I'll be 100% honest when they showed him and knowing he was the coach at CCU, I said, I bet Stu knows him well.    I didn't know that back story though, that's pretty cool!

I know him but not that well. He is running DJ's Golf School over at TPC now

G

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, as @BIG STU pointed out yesterday, he's got 4 headcovers--not counting the putter in his bag.  His is starting to look a lot like mine 🤪

Mine too! Right before I got hurt a guy I know played the Saturday Shootout with us. He asked one of my partners if that was my bag?  He told him yeah--- "Man Stu must be getting old with 4 head covers in the bag" He meant no malice at all he was a pup back in my driver , 1 iron 6 wood days. I played golf with his Grand Dad and Dad way back when--- thought about it and then I felt OLD but just for a minute or so

G

On 6/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, golfingbrock said:

I wish they would offer the Truss putter he's actually using though. His isn't center shafted like the retail. I'm also not convinced that the Truss hosel actually does anything. It still branches off of a single point at the shaft so when you miss hit a shot, it will still twist around that single axis just like every other putter. 

Seemore is doing something very similar with their RST Hosel series putters. 

Screenshot_20200630-090952.jpg

My bag is a revolving door!

I studied the one you posted but have not seen one in person. Basically looks to me like less head deflection than a standard plumbers neck. In other words the neck looks stronger. I would have to putt with one to really feel perhaps what it does. Maybe absorbs off center torque

Disclaimer--- This is just my humble Redneck Engineering Opinion not to be confused with a educated engineer's opinion or designer of the club. I by no means am absolutely correct and I have 2 staff bags and one display bag full of failed Redneck Engineering experiments to prove it

G

2 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I wish they would offer the Truss putter he's actually using though. His isn't center shafted like the retail. I'm also not convinced that the Truss hosel actually does anything. It still branches off of a single point at the shaft so when you miss hit a shot, it will still twist around that single axis just like every other putter. 

Sounds like you have some Trusst issues 😉

I always wonder how many of the new features on clubs are science, and how much are marketing.  But even placebos work if you believe them!

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

3 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

Sounds like you have some Trusst issues 😉

I always wonder how many of the new features on clubs are science, and how much are marketing.  But even placebos work if you believe them!

I haven't tried it as I was initially turned off by the looks.  But having spoken to a few people who have tried it and from what I've heard from TM, in simple terms, it offers the benefits of a mallet putter, by offering a heavier putter and higher MOI, but maintaining the look of a blade at address.  

I've been a devoted mallet user for probably 10 years now, with the exception of a brief two week fling with a blade last year---it was so sweet to me in the pro shop, then started getting temperamental when I brought it home 🙂   So thought of the best of both is intriguing.  

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

tour seeding of new designs happens before anything comes to retail or remains a tour only aka proto product. It’s possible dj liked the putter but wanted something that looked, felt or performed a little different and they gave him this version that r&d had been working on.

Come pga show next year this could be an offering. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

tour seeding of new designs happens before anything comes to retail or remains a tour only aka proto product. It’s possible dj liked the putter but wanted something that looked, felt or performed a little different and they gave him this version that r&d had been working on.

Come pga show next year this could be an offering. 

To be honest I don't think they're selling enough of these to continue the lineup that long. Kind of a dud. 

My bag is a revolving door!

38 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

To be honest I don't think they're selling enough of these to continue the lineup that long. Kind of a dud. 

If DJ keeps winning with it that could change. The spider became a hot item when day started winning with it.

Even so it’s not the first product that didn’t last for them or other brands.