TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge lofts

AmishJason

So, I commented on a spam post earlier about odd numbered wedge lofts.  Well, during my pre-work nap, the post was deleted but I can still see that @cnosil, @aerospace_ray, and @Kenny B commented on it and now I'm curious if people really do have odd numbered lofts on wedges.  My experience is limited, but I've only seen the typical even number make ups, 50, 54, 58 and 52, 56, 60.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Basically I stated that historically I have gamed 48-Pw, 52-Gw, 56-SW, and 60-LW.

Those even numbers represent my current wedges (Ping/Callaway). Big name brand OEM's.

I do have a set of custom wedges I rotate in pending course/greens. Those are Wishon PCF model. The lofts are 49, 53, 57 and 61.

My game wedges need to be 4 deg apart. Odd numbers stamped would not matter to me as I have custom wedges bent to odd number specs.

I have noticed over the years that smaller companies getting into wedge game (Eidolon, Scor, Hogan, and the infomercial wedges) many times have odd number lofts as their standard specs. I can see how walking into a PGA SS, Dick's Sporting goods or golf pro shop alot that has the big OEM's even number wedges could make odd number wedges look, well odd :) when you first see them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

So, I commented on a spam post earlier about odd numbered wedge lofts.  Well, during my pre-work nap, the post was deleted but I can still see that @cnosil, @aerospace_ray, and @Kenny B commented on it and now I'm curious if people really do have odd numbered lofts on wedges.  My experience is limited, but I've only seen the typical even number make ups, 50, 54, 58 and 52, 56, 60.  

The SCOR wedges, also made by Terry Koehler, had wedges you could get with every degree of loft from 41º to 61º.  

The story behind the Edison wedges is that the testing they did when they moved mass around on the club head, the smash factor was increased and ball flight was lower and had more spin, so the ball went further for the same swing speed.  As an example, if you normally hit a 54º tour wedge 100 yards, then you would most likely use a 55º Edison wedge for the same distance.  

Edison will provide even number lofts, but it will be a less-lofted wedge weakened one degree.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Neat to know.  Thank you both for that.  As I said, I had just never seen odd numbers stamped on wedges soles before.  And come to think of it, I had forgotten about bending clubs to achieve desired lofts.  Rookie mistake.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I currently play a 51* gap wedge and have played 53* in the past. Cleveland used to produce odd number wedges. Nowadays it is Easier to just bend them a degree.

The Eidson story is that the carry
Farther than normal wedges so they suggest 1* weaker than your current wedge lofts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I currently play a 51* gap wedge and have played 53* in the past. Cleveland used to produce odd number wedges. Nowadays it is Easier to just bend them a degree.

The Eidson story is that the carry
Farther than normal wedges so they suggest 1* weaker than your current wedge lofts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My coach plays a 58 bent to 59 (for a touch more bounce and loft).

I've found cleveland wedges (even CBX) are really really easy to bend up or down, I had a 60* CBX that I was playing at 57* (7* of bounce) as an experiment before buying my new set.

To @aerospace_ray - I've also seen the SCOR and the Solus wedges with odd numbers stamped on them. I think its kind of a marketing gimmick more than anything.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Edel is a good company that makes odd lofted wedges as well. Of course most wedges can be adjusted by a few degrees in either direction if you need.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Currently playing 51-55-60 in my PW-SW-LW.  Have also played 53-58 fairly regularly for GW-SW.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft