TESTERS WANTED! ×

Boom sticks for beginners

wesmith4

Hello!  Recent beginner golfer here.  

As I am looking to invest in my first set of golf clubs, I'm seeking advice on a solid driver and wood to get me out on the course.  I've looked at reviews of the Strata sets, but am a bit concerned with the quality of the driver and 3 wood - some folks have reported the head collapsing or denting even on the first time at the range.  

What are some good-value options to grab for my starter bag?

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic (used) is a good safe bet. Very forgiving head with consistent ball speed and a ton of ability to adjust (for fade/draw) as you develop. These are going for ~$150 now on eBay depending on condition and if you can catch a deal.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Would look used. Driver tech has minimal change in the last 5 years (see YouTube for multiple examples). 1-2 years old already hundreds $ off. Ping and Cobra drivers are usually very forgiving. If you can try out at Golf Galaxy or other place that sells second hand clubs, that would be great as well. 

I use Ping G400. Very forgiving 

Edited by Rchang

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Any Cobra from the Bio Cell all the way up to the most recent SpeedZone. I've always found Cobra drivers to be very forgiving and an excellent value. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

FWIW, I've been playing the Epic for about 3-4 seasons and I thought it was very forgiving until I got fitted for the Speedzone last weekend. What a difference...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

1 hour ago, Kanoito said:

FWIW, I've been playing the Epic for about 3-4 seasons and I thought it was very forgiving until I got fitted for the Speedzone last weekend. What a difference...

A few hundo more though 🙂

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I'd buy a used driver. An older Ping or Cobra will do just fine. G30 or Cobra F8. Heck, I have an old Ping K15 that I game every now and then and it is a bomber. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Cobra Bio Cell or F7, F8. Just sold a bio cell for 100ishon ebay. Had them, liked them, long.

Ping G or G30 are great values. I use the G400 now but played the G and no noticeable distance fain, a bit more forgiveness. Sold the G for about 100 also.

Epic Flash is super but still expensive. Much better than Epic, more distance and much more forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

15 hours ago, wesmith4 said:

As I am looking to invest in my first set of golf clubs, I'm seeking advice on a solid driver and wood to get me out on the course.  I've looked at reviews of the Strata sets, but am a bit concerned with the quality of the driver and 3 wood - some folks have reported the head collapsing or denting even on the first time at the range.  

Speaking from personal experiences, the Strata clubs are low cost enough that it's not as painful emotionally when one of them gets beat up during the learning process.  They definately have some very flimsy shafts in the driver and wood.  I haven't had any failures there, but I replaced the 3 wood after only a few whacks because I was afraid that a non tee shot would see the shaft snap.  The wedges in the sets aren't great either.  The sand wedge that came with mine was chunky and I never could get out of the sand with it.  

Callaway Pre Owned has good prices on used equipment from them and other brands.  It's best to look around the internet and see if there's a general consensus about older drivers and woods as far as forgiveness goes.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

15 hours ago, wesmith4 said:

Speaking from personal experiences, the Strata clubs are low cost enough that it's not as painful emotionally when one of them gets beat up during the learning process.  They definately have some very flimsy shafts in the driver and wood.  I haven't had any failures there, but I replaced the 3 wood after only a few whacks because I was afraid that a non tee shot would see the shaft snap.  The wedges in the sets aren't great either.  The sand wedge that came with mine was chunky and I never could get out of the sand with it.  

Callaway Pre Owned has good prices on used equipment from them and other brands.  It's best to look around the internet and see if there's a general consensus about older drivers and woods as far as forgiveness goes.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

MGS just posted about the Srixon driver that won the Most Wanted testing being ~$175 like last week or something. Great bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

If I were in your shoes I would find a PGA SS or equivalent pro-shop / range and look for used Ping clubs. Ask to demo in hitting bay / or range. They might even agree to fit you if you purchase. There are many other quality brands, I just happen to prefer Ping.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think it goes without saying that ping makes great clubs, but I'm not convinced they are so much better than the offerings from callaway, TM, mizuno, etc that they justify price premium they get on the used market. They are usually double the price of picking up a competitor's offering from the same vintage.

I'd look at some offerings from those companies, all of them make good products that will be just fine to start out with. See what you can get the best deal on either here on the classifieds or another popular forum or from 2nd swing or global golf

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all truly depends on what you'll be doing to determine what makes the most sense.  If you are genuinely interested in golf and will try to play more "regularly", I think piecing together a set is probably best.  Don't go out and buy tour type clubs, buy some that are the most forgiving.  You might be able to piece together some nice second hand clubs through a local golf store and they might even fit you for free. 

I've taken people who've never really played for a fitting before and the pro didn't charge them anything and was super friendly.  He basically pointed them in the right direction for type of used club, shaft, loft and lie with a few pointers to help them along their way.  

If by chance your just looking to have something to have and you only intend on playing 2-3 times a year, then getting an all-in-one set might be a better choice.

Good luck!

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

Whats your budget? That will play a huge factor is helping you set up your sirft bag of clubs. 

Like some others said I would go used, check out callawaypreowned, globalgolf, rockbottomgolf, 2ndswing.

Personally I would put more money into my putter than any other club. Think about it your using your putter 2,3,4 times a hole and you use your driver on maybe half. Spend the money on a putter and wedges those are your scoring clubs. If this is your first year playing golf you might not even use your driver much until you can control it. I would look at getting 3/4 hybrid and maybe a 5 hybrid. and get a set of used irons something around 2016 they are very cheap and still very good tech wise. I'm playing callaway irons from 2016 and the only reason i'm changing is because I want to go to a musclebacks and had the extra money to spend on irons. 3 woods can be difficult to find something that works for you so try a bunch. You will notice as you play guys tend to keep the 3 wood around the longest without changing because it works. 

Long story short, I would buy a good putter, a good set of wedges then irons then hybrids and then start looking at woods. The driver is the most fun to hit on the driving range but at my home course I only play it on 6-8 holes. And if I'm having a bad round it stays in the bag. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

42 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Whats your budget? That will play a huge factor is helping you set up your sirft bag of clubs. 

Like some others said I would go used, check out callawaypreowned, globalgolf, rockbottomgolf, 2ndswing.

Personally I would put more money into my putter than any other club. Think about it your using your putter 2,3,4 times a hole and you use your driver on maybe half. Spend the money on a putter and wedges those are your scoring clubs. If this is your first year playing golf you might not even use your driver much until you can control it. I would look at getting 3/4 hybrid and maybe a 5 hybrid. and get a set of used irons something around 2016 they are very cheap and still very good tech wise. I'm playing callaway irons from 2016 and the only reason i'm changing is because I want to go to a musclebacks and had the extra money to spend on irons. 3 woods can be difficult to find something that works for you so try a bunch. You will notice as you play guys tend to keep the 3 wood around the longest without changing because it works. 

Long story short, I would buy a good putter, a good set of wedges then irons then hybrids and then start looking at woods. The driver is the most fun to hit on the driving range but at my home course I only play it on 6-8 holes. And if I'm having a bad round it stays in the bag. 

Man, I hit driver on every hole on my home course except the Par 3s.

To the OP, take a look on Ebay as well. Quickshipgolf and Proclubs always have good deals going on.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Man, I hit driver on every hole on my home course except the Par 3s.

To the OP, take a look on Ebay as well. Quickshipgolf and Proclubs always have good deals going on.

How long is your course? Are you playing driver just because you like smashing it and then have awkward shots in? Or are you playing smart and trying to leave yourself a full shot into the green. I use my 3 wood on tight par 4s and when I want to keep the ball lower under the wind. I find my 3 almost more consistent thank my driver

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

7 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

How long is your course? Are you playing driver just because you like smashing it and then have awkward shots in? Or are you playing smart and trying to leave yourself a full shot into the green. I use my 3 wood on tight par 4s and when I want to keep the ball lower under the wind. I find my 3 almost more consistent thank my driver

My course is a little over 6400 yards from the blue tees. Right now, I actually don't have any other off the tee club I am comfortable with. On the shorter par 4s where I need control, I just take a slower, smooth driver swing and it goes where I want it and about 3 wood distance (if i could actually hit a 3 wood correctly). 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My course is a little over 6400 yards from the blue tees. Right now, I actually don't have any other off the tee club I am comfortable with. On the shorter par 4s where I need control, I just take a slower, smooth driver swing and it goes where I want it and about 3 wood distance (if i could actually hit a 3 wood correctly). 

Wish I could hit my driver better, it's the only club in my bag I struggle with. Maybe it's in my head?

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Wish I could hit my driver better, it's the only club in my bag I struggle with. Maybe it's in my head?

I see. What's your typical miss with the driver? I don't have any specific advice, just curious.

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I see. What's your typical miss with the driver? I don't have any specific advice, just curious.

Slice. When I'm hitting the ball good it's a nice little fade but when I get tired or forget how to swing it turns into a big slice. 

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

9 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Slice. When I'm hitting the ball good it's a nice little fade but when I get tired or forget how to swing it turns into a big slice. 

Have you tried the various adjustable settings on your driver? Lie angle and loft (increase loft to close the face). 

Updated 07/15/2022

27 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Have you tried the various adjustable settings on your driver? Lie angle and loft (increase loft to close the face). 

I could try that I have my driver at 9 deg and I hit it pretty high I could try setting it up a little and see it helps. Anything is worth a try 

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I could try that I have my driver at 9 deg and I hit it pretty high I could try setting it up a little and see it helps. Anything is worth a try 

And lie angle wise, i think there is a draw setting on the Callaway adapter correct? I am not as familiar with the Callaway adapter.

Updated 07/15/2022

15 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

And lie angle wise, i think there is a draw setting on the Callaway adapter correct? I am not as familiar with the Callaway adapter.

Yes there is 

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

2 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Yes there is 

Might be worth a shot to try the different setting combinations.

Updated 07/15/2022

Way off topic here, but an adjustable driver may help with your "small fade" but isn't going to make any difference on your big slice shots. Only way to fix that is to fix your swing. 

I just got back into golf this year and started the year off with my old Big Bertha 460 driver which if I remember correctly had a 2* closed face and I could still slice the hell out of it until I started really focusing on getting my swing path inside-out.

39 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Way off topic here, but an adjustable driver may help with your "small fade" but isn't going to make any difference on your big slice shots. Only way to fix that is to fix your swing. 

I just got back into golf this year and started the year off with my old Big Bertha 460 driver which if I remember correctly had a 2* closed face and I could still slice the hell out of it until I started really focusing on getting my swing path inside-out.

It is definitely my swing, when i'm tired or absolutely try to kill it its always bad. When I concentrate on keeping the face square its usually a decent shot, but like most people I try and pound it. 

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

53 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Yeah, its not going to make enough difference to turn a big slice into a straight shot. But it could help turn a sliced OB ball into a sliced still in play ball.

14 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

It is definitely my swing, when i'm tired or absolutely try to kill it its always bad. When I concentrate on keeping the face square its usually a decent shot, but like most people I try and pound it. 

I've been in the try to pound it category lately. My swing too hard miss these days has been a sky ball, dead straight but only 150 yards. Usually happens during the combo of trying to swing too hard plus teeing the ball too high.

Updated 07/15/2022