TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day #14

Thanks for the tip!  I'm going to show this to my brother tonight as he is just getting into golf and has a lot of questions about the swing, but I don't want to tell him too many things to think about.  He's going to take some adult group lessons, but I think this will be good to help him get an idea of balance.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Going to try this for myself, will probably fall over lol.

I don't have the best balance in general. Unrelated to golf, I was doing single leg deadlifts today and had trouble balancing with those.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Duplicate post

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I gave it a shot... what do you think coach!?

What was harder back or front? I feel like I would be better balanced on my back (right) foot? I’ll have to do a video and see

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

8 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

What was harder back or front? I feel like I would be better balanced on my back (right) foot? I’ll have to do a video and see

I didnt find either particularly difficult, but holding the finish on my back foot was hard because I wanted to turn that back foot.  I'll wait for coach's diagnosis though. haha

Just now, B.Boston said:

I didnt find either particularly difficult, but holding the finish on my back foot was hard because I wanted to turn that back foot.  I'll wait for coach's diagnosis though. haha

What’s the verdict coach 

For all you cheers fans 

B29AAD53-01C0-4918-823F-BA5218AB718C.jpeg.45d8a5d05d36f0ce074a4a86cffcf536.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

... In the words of Dennis Hopper talking to Christian Slater in True Romance "Slow it down man!"  🤣  Just go at it slower to get a feel for your balance and maintain it all the way to your follow thru. Once you can swing and maintain your balance on one foot, then you can increase your speed slowly until you can't maintain your balance any longer. That is right where your speed and tempo need to be for most golfers. That said, if you can take an aggressive cut like your last swing and hit fairways and greens you are good to go. But most importantly, do it with a ball. We can all take great practice swings, doing it while hitting ball changes the dynamics for most of us. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I didn’t record my brothers attempt at this drill because his legs were shaking just trying to stand on one leg at address. 

he is still really trying to get a feel for the flow of a golf swing and loosening up his stiff body. He’s way more into it now than he has been before because he’s asking a lot of the right questions and I’m doing my best not to lead him astray until his group lessons start. 

ive got him working on NOT trying to force his swing to “get to parallel” like he sees other people doing because to do that he needs to bend his left elbow 90 degrees in the backswing. I have him trying to think wide on the backswing which seems to put him on a good plane. i don’t want him thinking about anything on his downswing so he can build up some speed and starting getting his own feels. I said just sling it down and through. When we get to the range I can show him what each ball flight means for how he delivered the club. 

he’s definitely a “learn by doing” person so reading and watching is not a great was for him to learn. It’s been a few weeks and his Rhythm already looks 1000% better but he doesn’t have much face awareness yet. 

Just did this drill. TOUGH! No video but will get one another day. Fell backward a few times. Felt more balanced on my right foot more overall and had better swings on that foot.

Felt like it required me to use my core a hell of a lot more and not overturning. Will definitely be putting this into a weekly+ routine.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 6/29/2020 at 1:23 PM, chisag said:

… If you struggle with swing thoughts or feel your swing is inconsistent from swing to swing, try the one legged drill.

Def gonna work on this .. THX @chisag!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

@chisag  any good advice on hitting fairway wood shots consistent would be appreciative. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

31 minutes ago, ole gray said:

@chisag  any good advice on hitting fairway wood shots consistent would be appreciative. 

... Tough clubs to hit for many players, mostly because they try and help the ball into the air. Of course they are the longest clubs you hit from the fairway so it makes sense they are the most difficult. Combine that with poor shots in the past and they just aren't for everyone. That out of the way, one of my old tips is still the best. Place a ball about 2 feet in front of the ball you are hitting. Then with your normal swing, try and make your ball hit the ball 2 feet in front of your ball. It is important you make zero adjustments but instead of envisioning your ball flying far and high, imagine it hitting the ball in front. Do not try and have more shaft lean or keep your hands leading thru impact but take your normal swing and just focus on a different target. For most, they will hit straight thru their ball instead of trying to lift it in the air. Like most drills, if you concentrate on accomplishing the drill without caring about results, it can be very illuminating. I hope this helps.

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Tough clubs to hit for many players, mostly because they try and help the ball into the air. Of course they are the longest clubs you hit from the fairway so it makes sense they are the most difficult. Combine that with poor shots in the past and they just aren't for everyone. That out of the way, one of my old tips is still the best. Place a ball about 2 feet in front of the ball you are hitting. Then with your normal swing, try and make your ball hit the ball 2 feet in front of your ball. It is important you make zero adjustments but instead of envisioning your ball flying far and high, imagine it hitting the ball in front. Do not try and have more shaft lean or keep your hands leading thru impact but take your normal swing and just focus on a different target. For most, they will hit straight thru their ball instead of trying to lift it in the air. Like most drills, if you concentrate on accomplishing the drill without caring about results, it can be very illuminating. I hope this helps.

That is a very good advice/drill. I used that drill many many years ago (persimmon fairway wood days) 🙂

Curious, what is you opinion regarding this video discussion : ( https://www.secretgolf.com/videos/vintage-vault/legends-of-the-game/ben-hogan--hitting-down-on-fairway-woods ) ?

15 hours ago, chisag said:

Sounds like a plan to me and we appreciate your wisdom!

Cleveland

7 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

That is a very good advice/drill. I used that drill many many years ago (persimmon fairway wood days) 🙂

Curious, what is you opinion regarding this video discussion : ( https://www.secretgolf.com/videos/vintage-vault/legends-of-the-game/ben-hogan--hitting-down-on-fairway-woods ) ?

I like this too! Like @chisag said, most folks including myself, try to help the fairway wood shots up.  In the process we see more topped shots than good ones. 

Cleveland

9 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

... Lots of ways to play this game. Some great fairway wood players take healthy divots with their fairway woods like Tiger and Sergio. I am more of a sweeper that brushes the ground in front of the ball or occasionally takes a very shallow divot.