TESTERS WANTED! ×

What style of Irons do you play?

What type of Iron do you play?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What style of iron do you play? Whats your handicap? Why do you play that style of Iron?

• Blade
    • Muscle Back
    • Cavity Back
    • Game improvement Iron
    • Super Game improvement iron

I'm thinking about getting into MB's and was wondering what everyone on here plays and their respective handicap? Does handicap matter in regards to the type of iron we play? Can you shape the ball better with a certain iron?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Play what you enjoy the most. 

If performance matters most, get fit. 

Handicap really doesn't play a part in a fitting, as the ball doesn't care what you score on a hole - the only thing that matters are your swing at impact. 

Type of iron doesn't play much into shot shaping. Shot shape is determined by face to path and you can deliver any face to path numbers with a blade or a chunky game improvement iron. 

Also, game improvement irons often are stronger lofted, which means (in regards to D Plane), the ball will curve more offline,

49 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Play what you enjoy the most. 

If performance matters most, get fit. 

Handicap really doesn't play a part in a fitting, as the ball doesn't care what you score on a hole - the only thing that matters are your swing at impact. 

Type of iron doesn't play much into shot shaping. Shot shape is determined by face to path and you can deliver any face to path numbers with a blade or a chunky game improvement iron. 

Also, game improvement irons often are stronger lofted, which means (in regards to D Plane), the ball will curve more offline,

I really want to get fitted, but right now there is no place that I can get fit within 500 miles and a ferry ride. Most clubs that were doing fittings are on hold until this COVID mess is sorted out. Maybe next year i'll get an entire bag fitting.

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

59 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I really want to get fitted, but right now there is no place that I can get fit within 500 miles and a ferry ride. Most clubs that were doing fittings are on hold until this COVID mess is sorted out. Maybe next year i'll get an entire bag fitting.

Like @jlukes said, if you want to be your absolute best a fitting is essentially mandatory. Otherwise, play what you like! If the clubs look good that’s a big head start for your confidence. There are “muscle back” profiles loaded with technology like the new Cobras. There are some really sharp looking cavity backs now too, with thinner soles and reduced offsets. Or you could game a lot of offset in a bigger club head bc it makes you feel like you’re going to smoke it! 

Personally I love the look and feel of a traditional forged muscle back, so I play Mizuno MP-4s. Am I losing a stroke or two a round? Maybe so. But that compact head, chromed finish, and thin top line are exactly what I like to look at. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Switched back to forged after years with a cavity back. I had R7 TPs, which were the thin, low off-set players iron when they came out. After switching to Titleist CBs, it's been a huge difference. I tried true forged muscle backs, but sticking with a little more forgiveness in a cavity I felt the best.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Like @jlukes said, forget about the categories and play what fits you best. I think you"ll find the categories are really blurring anyways.  Today's blades have a lot more help than they used to, and the Players Distance Category is really increasing in popularity...longer clubs with plenty of forgiveness that still let you shape shots.   I was open to blades, but part of my thinking when I was buying irons is that I needed something that I could game even if my swing was a little off on a particular day.  I bought JPX 919 Forged over the Tours, or an MP-20 blade, because I hit better misses with the Forged if that makes sense.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

cavity back .. handicap is 19.5 .. I play the cobra F8 one length irons... I was interested in them when I read about them through MGS  and did some research, with having kids I only golf once a week at the most so figured I would try them .. Also I would get a lot of back pain and it was mostly from me or my form but I felt like one lengths would help my back a little bit and so far it has. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

cavity back .. handicap is 19.5 .. I play the cobra F8 one length irons... I was interested in them when I read about them through MGS  and did some research, with having kids I only golf once a week at the most so figured I would try them .. Also I would get a lot of back pain and it was mostly from me or my form but I felt like one lengths would help my back a little bit and so far it has. 

Same here!! Im literally in the same boat with the same clubs. They’ve been great for me. I even feel like I’ve improved since switching.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

1 minute ago, twyatt700 said:

Same here!! Im literally in the same boat with the same clubs. They’ve been great for me. I even feel like I’ve improved since switching.

yeah also we with ball placement I have a idea with my stance that its correct or close to it ...I sometimes still play the ball back on the GW but all in all I really like them .. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

ball :: face ... that's what matters. whether it's a shovel, garden rake, 2000 dollar 3 iron, 1965 mcgregor. 

whenever I think about this question I think about forgiveness across the face. 

If I can consistently hit a quarter sized spot on the club every time it doesn't matter, but I don't play/practice enough to be good enough at that.... most professional guys are and that's why I don't play the clubs they do. Sure, maybe half the time I might be able to but research shows just how much ball speed (hence distance) you lose with some clubs when you're off center.

I want a club that will give me relatively similar distances and not lose a ton of ball speed if I miss the center by a little and to balance that out I want something that is pleasing to look at when addressing the ball. This is where it all comes down to personal preference.

...remember, it's a game and games are meant to be fun. play whatever you think is fun to play. nobody is going to judge you and if they do you probably don't want to be playing golf with them.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Not sure where you’d draw the line between cavity back and GI.

As for handicap vs “iron style” the correlation is loose. What style fits best depends more on how consistent a ball striker you are and your ability to get the ball in the air. A high handicap could be an inconsistent ball striker but it could also be a weak short game, poor putting, below average distance/clubhead speed, poor consistency off the tee, poor course management/temperament, etc. I know some good ball strikers who just can’t putt.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I play the same irons in 4-p as Adam Scott foR 2/3 of my rounds so far this year. The rest I use cavity back from miura. 

I have about an 8 hdcp based on the new hdcp system. I play cluba throughout my bag that make me happy and when I see them I want to go swing them.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd consider the Cobra F8s as GI, possibly SGI. I still have a set of OL in the garage. Playing Srixon 785s right now, which i consider a cavity back and there is no comparison. Very different clubs.. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Im playing cavity backs right now.  I personally prefer blades, even though Im a fairly high handicap.  I like blades because they are more consistent in terms of distance and dispersion and Im not sure that there is enough of a difference in forgivness from blades to CBs to really matter.

Ive got an old set of Spalding blades in my closet that I hit just as well as I do anything else, so Im not sold on the forgivness of CBs.

If I were to be in the market for a new set of irons right now, it would be a really difficult decision between Titleist 720 CBs and MBs.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I know I sound like a broken record. I play game improvement irons. I'm not getting younger. I want to get the ball up in the air and hit it straight.  I can still work the ball if I need to  with what I play.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

yeah also we with ball placement I have a idea with my stance that its correct or close to it ...I sometimes still play the ball back on the GW but all in all I really like them .. 

Yep, I feel I still find my moving the ball up and back through out the set but it’s not as drastic. I’m also starting to test out the Bryson one plane swing. Early returns are good for the woods and poor for the irons! Maybe I should just stop tinkering lol

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

9 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

Yep, I feel I still find my moving the ball up and back through out the set but it’s not as drastic. I’m also starting to test out the Bryson one plane swing. Early returns are good for the woods and poor for the irons! Maybe I should just stop tinkering lol

I tried it for a bit it was good .. but I just didn;t have to time to put in to really keep it going.. never stop tinkering ! 

Last year I got fit and the improvement in my game is incredible.  I did go from Super Game Improvement (2007 R7 Draw Irons) to the 2017 P790's which I don't know what kind htey are other than forged.  My consistency is greatly improved and handicap has come down about 4 strokes.  It's not all because of the irons but my confidence has gone up big time since I got them. 

I think the most important thing is to play what gives you the most confidence.  If fitting gives you that (it will) then do it, if you can be confident with whatever you have in your bag now..play that. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

4 hours ago, den748 said:

Last year I got fit and the improvement in my game is incredible.  I did go from Super Game Improvement (2007 R7 Draw Irons) to the 2017 P790's which I don't know what kind htey are other than forged.  My consistency is greatly improved and handicap has come down about 4 strokes.  It's not all because of the irons but my confidence has gone up big time since I got them. 

I think the most important thing is to play what gives you the most confidence.  If fitting gives you that (it will) then do it, if you can be confident with whatever you have in your bag now..play that. 

Playing with what give you confidence is huge. Anytime I think I'm going to screw up a shot because of a club I usually do.

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

On 6/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, Kenny B said:

Super game improvement forged irons for me.  I can mishit any club.  While I can't shape shots as well as I could with my muscle backs, I'm better off not trying that shot anyway.

I didn't realize anyone made forged SGI irons. What brand/model(s) are we talking about?

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
41 minutes ago, Middler said:

I didn't realize anyone made forged SGI irons. What brand/model(s) are we talking about?

Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons
The have since been replaced by Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons... same specs.  HF is Hybrid Forged.

Available with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos steel shafts or UST Recoil graphite.

The Tour B JGR HF2 is slightly less SGI... maybe GI.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons
The have since been replaced by Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons... same specs.  HF is Hybrid Forged.

Available with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos steel shafts or UST Recoil graphite.

The Tour B JGR HF2 is slightly less SGI... maybe GI.

How about that, never seen those before. The lofts scare me, 7i @ 26*, but they might be a great option for some players.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Used to play blades - Wilson Staff Tour 100 until illness forced me to switch Callaway Steelhead Pro's with graphite shafts.

I was lucky and I recovered from the illness and are now reviewing what clubs to use. I am in the process of refurbishing - new grips and clean and polish - my old Spalding Top-flite Tour Irons as I would like to try steel shafts again. I am know longer at the level required to hit blades and doubt I ever will be again. Mind you cannot bring myself to sell them. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I recently went back to Ping and have been playing the Gs for a few years. Really helped my game getting away from blade style irons. More forgiveness but not necessarily more length. I need as much forgiveness as I can get. 

Looking at some Mizuno JPX as next purchase. 

T. Stack

Handicap-7

irons- Ping G

driver- Cobra F8+
3 wood- cobra f6 

hybrid- Wilson 

wedges- Callaway Mack daddy 

putter-Wilson south side 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:52 AM, Middler said:

How about that, never seen those before. The lofts scare me, 7i @ 26*, but they might be a great option for some players.

I hit the 7i the same distance as my Ping i20 5i, but at a 7i height which I need.  They play like the hybrid in the name, and they play straight.  They did take some "getting used to" but I've made the transition.  The only clubs I hit almost as well and might get on a whim are the Mizuno MP-20 HMB.  I love the feel of those.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been playing Ping G20 since they came out. Really want to upgrade but I hit them well. With the mega offset, I can't control height as well. Still really good sticks though. Getting fitted for new set this fall. Thinking Mizuno JPX forged or HMP OR Srixon but I'm sure I'll like the P790 too.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx