StrawberryShortCake

What style of Irons do you play?

What type of Iron do you play?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What style of iron do you play? Whats your handicap? Why do you play that style of Iron?

• Blade
    • Muscle Back
    • Cavity Back
    • Game improvement Iron
    • Super Game improvement iron

Our Sponsors

I'm thinking about getting into MB's and was wondering what everyone on here plays and their respective handicap? Does handicap matter in regards to the type of iron we play? Can you shape the ball better with a certain iron?

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Play what you enjoy the most. 

If performance matters most, get fit. 

Handicap really doesn't play a part in a fitting, as the ball doesn't care what you score on a hole - the only thing that matters are your swing at impact. 

Type of iron doesn't play much into shot shaping. Shot shape is determined by face to path and you can deliver any face to path numbers with a blade or a chunky game improvement iron. 

Also, game improvement irons often are stronger lofted, which means (in regards to D Plane), the ball will curve more offline,

• Like 8

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST (playing 8*) VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

49 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Play what you enjoy the most. 

If performance matters most, get fit. 

Handicap really doesn't play a part in a fitting, as the ball doesn't care what you score on a hole - the only thing that matters are your swing at impact. 

Type of iron doesn't play much into shot shaping. Shot shape is determined by face to path and you can deliver any face to path numbers with a blade or a chunky game improvement iron. 

Also, game improvement irons often are stronger lofted, which means (in regards to D Plane), the ball will curve more offline,

I really want to get fitted, but right now there is no place that I can get fit within 500 miles and a ferry ride. Most clubs that were doing fittings are on hold until this COVID mess is sorted out. Maybe next year i'll get an entire bag fitting.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

59 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I really want to get fitted, but right now there is no place that I can get fit within 500 miles and a ferry ride. Most clubs that were doing fittings are on hold until this COVID mess is sorted out. Maybe next year i'll get an entire bag fitting.

Like @jlukes said, if you want to be your absolute best a fitting is essentially mandatory. Otherwise, play what you like! If the clubs look good that’s a big head start for your confidence. There are “muscle back” profiles loaded with technology like the new Cobras. There are some really sharp looking cavity backs now too, with thinner soles and reduced offsets. Or you could game a lot of offset in a bigger club head bc it makes you feel like you’re going to smoke it! 

Personally I love the look and feel of a traditional forged muscle back, so I play Mizuno MP-4s. Am I losing a stroke or two a round? Maybe so. But that compact head, chromed finish, and thin top line are exactly what I like to look at. 

• Like 2

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

My irons are game improvement.   I have an 18 handicap.   I attribute my GI irons to helping me go from scoring low 100s to low 90s/high 80s per round.  I enjoy playing a lot more with GI.

• Like 1

Switched back to forged after years with a cavity back. I had R7 TPs, which were the thin, low off-set players iron when they came out. After switching to Titleist CBs, it's been a huge difference. I tried true forged muscle backs, but sticking with a little more forgiveness in a cavity I felt the best.

Take Dead Aim

Like @jlukes said, forget about the categories and play what fits you best. I think you"ll find the categories are really blurring anyways.  Today's blades have a lot more help than they used to, and the Players Distance Category is really increasing in popularity...longer clubs with plenty of forgiveness that still let you shape shots.   I was open to blades, but part of my thinking when I was buying irons is that I needed something that I could game even if my swing was a little off on a particular day.  I bought JPX 919 Forged over the Tours, or an MP-20 blade, because I hit better misses with the Forged if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

cavity back .. handicap is 19.5 .. I play the cobra F8 one length irons... I was interested in them when I read about them through MGS  and did some research, with having kids I only golf once a week at the most so figured I would try them .. Also I would get a lot of back pain and it was mostly from me or my form but I felt like one lengths would help my back a little bit and so far it has. 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

cavity back .. handicap is 19.5 .. I play the cobra F8 one length irons... I was interested in them when I read about them through MGS  and did some research, with having kids I only golf once a week at the most so figured I would try them .. Also I would get a lot of back pain and it was mostly from me or my form but I felt like one lengths would help my back a little bit and so far it has. 

Same here!! Im literally in the same boat with the same clubs. They’ve been great for me. I even feel like I’ve improved since switching.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 3

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 4

Irons- Cobra F8 One Length 5-G

Wedges- TM Milled grind 54* and 58*

Putter- Tommy Armour Impact No3 CB

1 minute ago, twyatt700 said:

Same here!! Im literally in the same boat with the same clubs. They’ve been great for me. I even feel like I’ve improved since switching.

yeah also we with ball placement I have a idea with my stance that its correct or close to it ...I sometimes still play the ball back on the GW but all in all I really like them .. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

ball :: face ... that's what matters. whether it's a shovel, garden rake, 2000 dollar 3 iron, 1965 mcgregor. 

whenever I think about this question I think about forgiveness across the face. 

If I can consistently hit a quarter sized spot on the club every time it doesn't matter, but I don't play/practice enough to be good enough at that.... most professional guys are and that's why I don't play the clubs they do. Sure, maybe half the time I might be able to but research shows just how much ball speed (hence distance) you lose with some clubs when you're off center.

I want a club that will give me relatively similar distances and not lose a ton of ball speed if I miss the center by a little and to balance that out I want something that is pleasing to look at when addressing the ball. This is where it all comes down to personal preference.

...remember, it's a game and games are meant to be fun. play whatever you think is fun to play. nobody is going to judge you and if they do you probably don't want to be playing golf with them.

• Like 3

StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 4-A KBS tour 120 
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:cleveland-small: S.O.F.T. #1
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
:Arccos: Stat tracking

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Not sure where you’d draw the line between cavity back and GI.

As for handicap vs “iron style” the correlation is loose. What style fits best depends more on how consistent a ball striker you are and your ability to get the ball in the air. A high handicap could be an inconsistent ball striker but it could also be a weak short game, poor putting, below average distance/clubhead speed, poor consistency off the tee, poor course management/temperament, etc. I know some good ball strikers who just can’t putt.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Super game improvement forged irons for me.  I can mishit any club.  While I can't shape shots as well as I could with my muscle backs, I'm better off not trying that shot anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I currently game Wishon 771 irons down to approach wedge/gap wedge with blade/classic sw/lw. Building a new set of I210,I500 Ping irons. I guess game improvement is my overall category.

• Like 1

I play the same irons in 4-p as Adam Scott foR 2/3 of my rounds so far this year. The rest I use cavity back from miura. 

I have about an 8 hdcp based on the new hdcp system. I play cluba throughout my bag that make me happy and when I see them I want to go swing them.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd consider the Cobra F8s as GI, possibly SGI. I still have a set of OL in the garage. Playing Srixon 785s right now, which i consider a cavity back and there is no comparison. Very different clubs.. 

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

Im playing cavity backs right now.  I personally prefer blades, even though Im a fairly high handicap.  I like blades because they are more consistent in terms of distance and dispersion and Im not sure that there is enough of a difference in forgivness from blades to CBs to really matter.

Ive got an old set of Spalding blades in my closet that I hit just as well as I do anything else, so Im not sold on the forgivness of CBs.

If I were to be in the market for a new set of irons right now, it would be a really difficult decision between Titleist 720 CBs and MBs.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I know I sound like a broken record. I play game improvement irons. I'm not getting younger. I want to get the ball up in the air and hit it straight.  I can still work the ball if I need to  with what I play.

• Like 2

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

yeah also we with ball placement I have a idea with my stance that its correct or close to it ...I sometimes still play the ball back on the GW but all in all I really like them .. 

Yep, I feel I still find my moving the ball up and back through out the set but it’s not as drastic. I’m also starting to test out the Bryson one plane swing. Early returns are good for the woods and poor for the irons! Maybe I should just stop tinkering lol

• Like 1

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 3

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 4

Irons- Cobra F8 One Length 5-G

Wedges- TM Milled grind 54* and 58*

Putter- Tommy Armour Impact No3 CB

9 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

Yep, I feel I still find my moving the ball up and back through out the set but it’s not as drastic. I’m also starting to test out the Bryson one plane swing. Early returns are good for the woods and poor for the irons! Maybe I should just stop tinkering lol

I tried it for a bit it was good .. but I just didn;t have to time to put in to really keep it going.. never stop tinkering !