StrawberryShortCake

What style of Irons do you play?

What type of Iron do you play?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What style of iron do you play? Whats your handicap? Why do you play that style of Iron?

• Blade
    • Muscle Back
    • Cavity Back
    • Game improvement Iron
    • Super Game improvement iron

Our Sponsors

Last year I got fit and the improvement in my game is incredible.  I did go from Super Game Improvement (2007 R7 Draw Irons) to the 2017 P790's which I don't know what kind htey are other than forged.  My consistency is greatly improved and handicap has come down about 4 strokes.  It's not all because of the irons but my confidence has gone up big time since I got them. 

I think the most important thing is to play what gives you the most confidence.  If fitting gives you that (it will) then do it, if you can be confident with whatever you have in your bag now..play that. 

• Like 2

Driver: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M3 Tensei Blue Stiff

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (54,59) - AMT Black/Stiff

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Tracked by: :Arccos:

4 hours ago, den748 said:

Last year I got fit and the improvement in my game is incredible.  I did go from Super Game Improvement (2007 R7 Draw Irons) to the 2017 P790's which I don't know what kind htey are other than forged.  My consistency is greatly improved and handicap has come down about 4 strokes.  It's not all because of the irons but my confidence has gone up big time since I got them. 

I think the most important thing is to play what gives you the most confidence.  If fitting gives you that (it will) then do it, if you can be confident with whatever you have in your bag now..play that. 

Playing with what give you confidence is huge. Anytime I think I'm going to screw up a shot because of a club I usually do.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9deg stiff flex

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff flex

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :callaway-small:  Steelhead XR Pro Irons stiff flex, standard loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

14.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I absolutely love the muscle backs that I play and I average high 90s in my rounds but it is not because of my iron play that's for sure. I did a review on them in the unofficial section and they are fun to hit.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, Kenny B said:

Super game improvement forged irons for me.  I can mishit any club.  While I can't shape shots as well as I could with my muscle backs, I'm better off not trying that shot anyway.

I didn't realize anyone made forged SGI irons. What brand/model(s) are we talking about?

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR Mizuno S18 60.06
  • Snell MTB-X (replacing Black)

41 minutes ago, Middler said:

I didn't realize anyone made forged SGI irons. What brand/model(s) are we talking about?

Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons
The have since been replaced by Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons... same specs.  HF is Hybrid Forged.

Available with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos steel shafts or UST Recoil graphite.

The Tour B JGR HF2 is slightly less SGI... maybe GI.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons
The have since been replaced by Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons... same specs.  HF is Hybrid Forged.

Available with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos steel shafts or UST Recoil graphite.

The Tour B JGR HF2 is slightly less SGI... maybe GI.

How about that, never seen those before. The lofts scare me, 7i @ 26*, but they might be a great option for some players.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR Mizuno S18 60.06
  • Snell MTB-X (replacing Black)

Used to play blades - Wilson Staff Tour 100 until illness forced me to switch Callaway Steelhead Pro's with graphite shafts.

I was lucky and I recovered from the illness and are now reviewing what clubs to use. I am in the process of refurbishing - new grips and clean and polish - my old Spalding Top-flite Tour Irons as I would like to try steel shafts again. I am know longer at the level required to hit blades and doubt I ever will be again. Mind you cannot bring myself to sell them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Driver 10.5 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 3-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Anything that is free, if not Titlist Pro V1x 

I recently went back to Ping and have been playing the Gs for a few years. Really helped my game getting away from blade style irons. More forgiveness but not necessarily more length. I need as much forgiveness as I can get. 

Looking at some Mizuno JPX as next purchase. 

• Like 2

T. Stack

Handicap-7

irons- Ping G

driver- Cobra F8+
3 wood- cobra f6 

hybrid- Wilson 

wedges- Callaway Mack daddy 

putter-Wilson south side 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:52 AM, Middler said:

How about that, never seen those before. The lofts scare me, 7i @ 26*, but they might be a great option for some players.

I hit the 7i the same distance as my Ping i20 5i, but at a 7i height which I need.  They play like the hybrid in the name, and they play straight.  They did take some "getting used to" but I've made the transition.  The only clubs I hit almost as well and might get on a whim are the Mizuno MP-20 HMB.  I love the feel of those.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”