Official 2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

Our Sponsors

Dang, that is quite a job change.  Did you get a job at a golf course? 

No. The management part of my job has been “in addition to” other things. Now it is just management, but that is because after we expanded in Texas, I get Phone calls and texts about every 2-3 hours 24 hours a day 6 days a week. So sleep is an issue.

So just because I get to go to the course, doesn’t mean I will not be interrupted, or even get to play.

Today, I went to the course at 11 this morning and was on the range when the phone rang. I never made it on the course and didn’t get this resolved until 8 pm. I also packed a bag because I may learn this is not quite a resolved as I thought, and may have to leave the house at 2 am and be out until Saturday night. Or I may sleep through the night and play 27 holes tomorrow. (Playing the odds, I packed a bag for a trip, I didn’t put my clubs in the car.)

I plan on playing the HRC for 9 holes tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Sad 2

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't wait to get this going! I'm hoping the rain will clear out by the weekend and I can get my first round of the challenge in. I'll be "ROCK"ing these: While my weapons of choice for my firs

It just occurred to me... all Cobra Connect Challenge testers should be required to play and record one HRC round 👍. @GolfSpy STUDque how about a new challenge?  Perhaps the best 9 hole score, long dr

Please be careful sir... I’ve read that thinning one of those long irons with one of those balls could register seismic activity and trigger a fault line earthquake. Sent from my iPhone using Tapat

Posted Images

First HRC day complete I shot a 42 on the front nine at a local course I had never played. 20200709_200834.jpeg.045b7f8862487ed54c05994d57c11331.jpeg Not sure how to do the calculations from here I am a 8.5 handicap. Came super close to taking the coveted long drive spot but both shots were about 3 to 5 feet through the fairway. Screenshot_20200709-232322_myRoundPro.jpeg.f5ab97adb0de0c77ca47c4d070f6d868.jpegScreenshot_20200709-232348_myRoundPro.jpeg.d894abb1319ebff10dfd1db1e91d56c5.jpeg

For me that's the story of my life with long drive, I have hit some "hit nasty bombs" but they always end up less than 5 feet outside the fairway haha. I followed[mention=54754]hardcorelooper[/mention] and went with a Titleist Velocity (not a sweet orange one though) and alas lost it on hole 15 on the back nine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, tchat07 said:

First HRC day complete I shot a 38 on the front nine at a local course I had never played. 20200709_200834.jpeg.045b7f8862487ed54c05994d57c11331.jpeg Not sure how to do the calculations from here I am a 8.5 handicap. Came super close to taking the coveted long drive spot but both shots were about 3 to 5 feet through the fairway. Screenshot_20200709-232322_myRoundPro.jpeg.f5ab97adb0de0c77ca47c4d070f6d868.jpegScreenshot_20200709-232348_myRoundPro.jpeg.d894abb1319ebff10dfd1db1e91d56c5.jpeg

For me that's the story of my life with long drive, I have hit some "hit nasty bombs" but they always end up less than 5 feet outside the fairway haha. I followed[mention=54754]hardcorelooper[/mention] and went with a Titleist Velocity (not a sweet orange one though) and alas lost it on hole 15 on the back nine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice round!  Which tees did you play?

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I bought my wife some Chaos golf balls (She likes the colorful golf balls...). I'm going to have to steal a few balls from her bag. Will kneel to the golf gods before teeing off, asking them to protect my forearms and reduce the shanks.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0, Tensei CK Orange 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, Rocket 13.0, Atmos Red 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour, 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic gold S300

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4, 52.0, 56.0, 60.0 - S grind

:taylormade-small: Spider Mini

:bridgestone-small: Tour-RX

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

12 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Not sure how to do the calculations from here I am a 8.5 handicap.

Nice going!  All I need are score, handicap, slope and course rating--excel handles the rest! 

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Scoring is now live!  (And there is a new leader in the house)

• Like 3

SkyCaddie SX400

Currently in the middle of a round for the challenge.   And I may just have to replace my Bridgestones with nitros.  

Said no man ever. 

• Haha 3

SkyCaddie SX400

3 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Currently in the middle of a round for the challenge.   And I may just have to replace my Bridgestones with nitros.  

Said no man ever. 

You almost had me for a second. That's the beauty of working on a Saturday and being sleep deprived. I planned on playing today, if we had gotten off at 3:15, but they worked us an extra hour. Hopefully the rain will hold off tomorrow and I can get some golf in. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

You almost had me for a second. That's the beauty of working on a Saturday and being sleep deprived. I planned on playing today, if we had gotten off at 3:15, but they worked us an extra hour. Hopefully the rain will hold off tomorrow and I can get some golf in. 

I’m dreaming of hitting a real ball again. I’ve played a menagerie of rocks this past week and one thing is for certain, Top Flites are about a club shorter than my gamers.  

🤞 for the rain. Hope you can get out and enjoy some fresh air

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

On 7/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, fixyurdivot said:

So this is over already and I haven't even launched a rock 🤨.

Not in the least.  My round didn't hold up at all.  Get out there and launch 'em.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

17 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Not in the least.  My round didn't hold up at all.  Get out there and launch 'em.

Will do... just as soon as I can find some time.  The HRC coincides with the seasons best hatches. 🙂

IMG_20190719_131928144.jpg.4f328e709d9c707730112c902397a8d8.jpgIMG_20190602_125053118.jpg.9cc1f531303d238de345e7503f138d1e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I played my second round in the Hard Rock Challenge today. I brought out the modern clubs and played a Nitro ball. Let's just say I'm going to have a hard time defending my Hard Rock crown playing the way I did today.

Shot a lovely +20 56 hitting both a single fairway and green. Couple that with 23 putts and 5 3 putts, it doesn't lead to great scoring. My driver was off terribly and my short game was atrocious. I hit three shots into the high grass that led to some short punch outs that cost me, too. Ok, that's enough with the negativity of my round today. My iron game was the most solid I've ever had, I only thinned two shots and didn't chunk a single one. It was glorious! It wasn't the most accurate, but to not hit a chunky 6 iron 30 yards was an anomaly. 

I finally figured out driver on 7 realizing I needed to weaken my grip and my last two drives were relatively solid. Also, about those Nitro's, my first drive of the day sent a shockwave up my arm that resonated in my elbow. It was the worst feeling golf shot I've felt in recent memory. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 7/12/2020 at 5:59 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I played my second round in the Hard Rock Challenge today. I brought out the modern clubs and played a Nitro ball. Let's just say I'm going to have a hard time defending my Hard Rock crown playing the way I did today.

Shot a lovely +20 56 hitting both a single fairway and green. Couple that with 23 putts and 5 3 putts, it doesn't lead to great scoring. My driver was off terribly and my short game was atrocious. I hit three shots into the high grass that led to some short punch outs that cost me, too. Ok, that's enough with the negativity of my round today. My iron game was the most solid I've ever had, I only thinned two shots and didn't chunk a single one. It was glorious! It wasn't the most accurate, but to not hit a chunky 6 iron 30 yards was an anomaly. 

I finally figured out driver on 7 realizing I needed to weaken my grip and my last two drives were relatively solid. Also, about those Nitro's, my first drive of the day sent a shockwave up my arm that resonated in my elbow. It was the worst feeling golf shot I've felt in recent memory. 

Hang in there Chunks!  We've all been there.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Karma (or payback).... your regulars are sending you a not so subtle message 😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

All in one, nine hole round.

Stay tuned for the full details tomorrow.

• Like 3

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Well that was..... Let's say interesting. These balls even off forged clubs felt like absolute dog crap. This is my best effort playing these awful awful balls. I'm not sure how anyone can actually game these things. Good luck guys I'm not playing another round with these granite spheres. 

Screenshot_20200714-225230_Garmin Golf.jpg

20200714_215734.jpg

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

My ball of choice for my round was a Top Flite XL Straight - I assume that is a low spin variant of an already low spin ball. When I got to the course, I putted for a while so I could get used to the sound and feel of putting a billiard ball. Even with the soft face of my Stroke Lab putter, the sound was not at all muted - it sounded like a ball bearing bouncing off a steel plate, which was gross.

Then I practiced chipping - I knew I was not going to be able to stop the ball so I needed to "recalibrate" my brain on where I should land these things.

I played poorly the first few holes. I wish I could blame the ball, but alas, it was me. The first hole was a high weak flare to the right. Fortunately, it was far enough to the right that I almost had a shot, but I had to aim to the right side of the green (too bad I can't draw the ball, at least not on purpose). A chip and a 2-putt later, I walked off with bogey. The second hole was garbage. I topped my tee shot, followed by a 3W off the cart path, a chip that rolled into a pond (aside: I can't believe I made the effort to retrieve a Top Flite from a pond, but I did). Chip and 2-putt for a triple. The next two holes were not much better. Tee shot on #3 hit a tree, started coming back at me, and trickled on the cart path for a net 95 yard 7 iron. I was +7 after 4 holes. On the 5th hole, I finally hit a decent tee shot (8 iron to a par 3). Who says it's not possible the stop a Top Flite?

1258187080_20200714_1737271.jpg.51b2c17b99ffc7d5085dfe59ac3a21fa.jpg

In reality, I doubt it actually backed up, rather bounced back as a result of a steep decent angle and softness of the green.

The next hole is a par 5 (see important scoring details below). Finally hit a good drive. Hit a 6 iron up the hill for an easy 2-putt birdie.

1819941022_Screenshot_20200715-0813021.jpg.1bc601c5c962a5326cdf70f8d9fcd598.jpg

The next hole is also a par 5, which I parred. Hole #8 is usually a bit of a struggle for me - there are no bail-out areas. You either hit the fairway or you are staring down a bogey (or worse). I ended up in the middle of the fairway with ~120 to the pin. You can't see the pin because the tee shot ends up down in a valley, but I always pick my target as I am walking down the hill. I knew I started the ball on a good line. Here is where the second shot stopped.

1201727275_20200714_1832441.jpg.ca16bb668fa180031c09a06c110e23f4.jpg

Yeah, I missed a 3 foot birdie putt. 🤬 (Another aside: we all determined there must be a guy or guys in a league in front of us who drag their feet and/or weigh 400 lbs. as every green was really bumpy around the hole.)

To summarize, I ended up shooting my league handicap (+8) by finishing the last 4 holes at even par. I could not make any putts, though. I 2-putted every single green even though I had plenty of realistic chances to 1-putt. I think the sound/feel of putting this ball was so offensive, I never really felt like I could be aggressive and, with the bumpy greens, the ball wobbled a lot. On the first green, everyone saw my ball kick hard left off some bump on my short par putt.

I honestly believe I could score just fine if I chose to play garbage balls on a regular basis, but I just could not get used to the feel of hitting a stone with every club. The sound is another issue entirely. Totally offensive off every club, even a putter with a very soft face.

SCORING ISSUE: The screen cap of the par 5 6th above - you'll notice I had a 6 iron into the green. Our league has a lot of retirees and we voted last year to play just that hole from the senior tees because playing the whites on that hole was totally demoralizing for the older, shorter guys (lots of 8's and 9's was pretty normal) and it was effecting the pace of play. As it is, there are a couple guys that are extremely happy to bogey that hole. It is a pretty big advantage for the longer guys, but presumably our handicaps take care of that. The normal white tees are about 60-80 yards back beyond where the cart path is leading (Arccos has no idea where the actual tee is, but since it tags location when you hit, it doesn't really matter, just don't try to preview with caddie). All this is to say the rating/slope for this course (68.9/119) are likely not accurate as a result of our league adjustment. Since I am not in the running to win, it's not a big deal, but just so everyone is aware. In the future, I'll have to make sure I do the HRC on the back 9 to avoid the issue, even though the back 9 hates me.

Summary:

Fox Den Golf Course (68.8/119), front 9: par 35
My Score: 43
League Handicap: 8
Long Drive: 267

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I'm not doing the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge this year... did it last time.  I don't like the feel of a hard ball off any club.

I play with a friend of mine; a 77-year old Marine Lt. Col.  He only plays Pinnacles.  Yesterday he shot 77.  Last month he shot 73.  Straight off the tee, straight off the fairway, and he can get up and down from anywhere.  Yes, you can learn to play well with any ball.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looking good fellas!  @StrawberryShortCake I feel your pain.  I said that after my first round this month and have unfortunately played 3 more rounds. What tees did you play?  @MaxEntropy  I've played 5 different rocks this month (2 of which were old Top Flite XLs) and the one glaring result was that the sound and feel of an XL is single handedly the most unique of any golf ball made.  The sound is like nails on a chalkboard.  I am fairly sure that they dimpled billiard balls.

• Haha 2

SkyCaddie SX400