Official 2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

Our Sponsors

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Clearly the HRC is for you.  What the hell is a "Dixon" golf ball... or is it an "Earth" golf ball? I'm almost afraid to ask what the recycled logos mean 🤣.

I guess the recycle logo is because they are Eco friendly. Earth is one of the models that Dixon offers, they also have a wind, fire and spirit lines, and they are somewhat expensive, their fire line goes for 74.99 a dozen. I need to find me one of those.

• Like 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unnoficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't wait to get this going! I'm hoping the rain will clear out by the weekend and I can get my first round of the challenge in. I'll be "ROCK"ing these: While my weapons of choice for my firs

It just occurred to me... all Cobra Connect Challenge testers should be required to play and record one HRC round 👍. @GolfSpy STUDque how about a new challenge?  Perhaps the best 9 hole score, long dr

Please be careful sir... I’ve read that thinning one of those long irons with one of those balls could register seismic activity and trigger a fault line earthquake. Sent from my iPhone using Tapat

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I guess the recycle logo is because they are Eco friendly. Earth is one of the models that Dixon offers, they also have a wind, fire and spirit lines, and they are somewhat expensive, their fire line goes for 74.99 a dozen. I need to find me one of those.

So I wonder what the half-life is on one of these "proprietary polymers" vs. a ProV1's "proprietary polymers"?

@Tony Covey MGS another candidate for the saw... and perhaps the next round of ball testing? 😆.  

image.png.a7d7eb95855d9b3b5acdef68d9070223.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So I wonder what the half-life is on one of these "proprietary polymers" vs. a ProV1's "proprietary polymers"?

@Tony Covey MGS another candidate for the saw... and perhaps the next round of ball testing? 😆.  

image.png.a7d7eb95855d9b3b5acdef68d9070223.png

Before I lost it to the pond, that ball had gotten pretty beat up, even with the scuffs it was still holding up well.

I played 8 full holes with it.

I have played 18 holes with the same ProV1x before I could not use it anymore, because it was really bad.

Edited by xOldBenKenobiX
  • Like 1

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

I played my second 9 hole round on Wednesday; this time at Beaverhead CG in Dillon, MT. I played 27 holes and chose the second nine for my HRC round.  Rummaging through my selection of rocks, I chose a Pinnacle Rush - a found ball and one I've never seen before. It seemed the logical choice being that the course was not too crowded and I was in no rush. Not sure if it meets our hard rock requirements? 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Staged for liftoff... in three, two, one.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

I did not strike the ball as well as my first round but scored well.  No KP's or LD's that better round #1. I'm starting to think these low end, often disparaged and made fun of balls, are my best fit ... simply can't argue the results 🤩.  

image.png.50aec270fe51d5569a566129bcbc91d7.png

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Using the formula in our IM thread, I calculate round 1 at net 35.43 and this round at 35.63... but maybe I have the slope portion goofed? 

I'm hoping to get at least 2 more rounds in before the contest concludes... maybe we need to extend the deadline as I haven't seen to many entries yet.

• Like 5

Finally got a round completed in the HRC. Actually I was actually playing on Wednesday but that pesky job interfered and only played 6 holes. Later I determined that it was a non-conforming ball anyway. It was a Volvek Vivid, well it felt too good and spun too much to qualify for this. So I returned today with a found Titleist Velocity and a Top Flight more roll, and a Srixon Marathon.

First, I have a confession to make. My official handicap 14.1 and a 12 on these tees at my home course. This is (was) a true handicap until 2 weeks ago. At that point, I got to play golf once or twice a week for the last 3 years and a 2 year absence before that. I would often go two weeks without touching a club.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had a bit of a job change, and now I am home most days and, in theory, I can play golf everyday. In reality, I have played just one round during the week but have gotten to go to the range and practice on the course 3-4 times in between phone calls and text messages. I played 6 holes the other day and then spent 2 1/2 hours sitting under the trees talking and texting.

My game has improved drastically, but I have not played complete rounds or turned in scorecards during this period. I played in a Shamble tournament last weekend (Lost by 1/2 a point) and played in the Men’s Scramble last night. We won the Scramble at -7 and used 3 of my drives, 7 approach shots and I made 6 of the birdie putts. However, still no scorecards to turn in and adjust my handicap.

I have also developed a baby fade fairway finding driver shot that averages 230 and close to 80% accuracy. I can hit a draw that goes 260 with recently 4 going 272-275 but maybe 20% of fairways. Last Friday morning I went and hit tee shots only off all the driver holes. I hit the two balls, the fade and the draw. I also put together some hybrids with 1/2 shorter shafts to stop over drawing them.

That has been why my handicap was 12-14. Note I didn’t say averages 260 or 270. It probably averages closer to 160 than 260 because they are either awesome or embarrassing and rarely in between.

Last Friday I shot an 84 trying to hit the draws. Today with just focusing on getting in the fairway was a 73.

So my scorecards:
IMG_0041.PNG
IMG_0042.PNG

My lone birdie was almost an ace.
IMG_0039.JPG

Landed about 3’ from the pin and hit the pin on the bounce and dropped on the lip and rolled about a foot. Of course if it missed the flag than I may have had a 20’er coming back.

I had just 29 putts and 6 of those were in the 10-15’ range, but I didn’t sink any of them. This could have been because these balls sound so clickey off the face but don’t go as far as they sound. Putts tend to just sorta wonder off close to the hole.

Course Rating and Slope from these tees is 69.4/116. And officially I am a 14.1. But I expect this to change once I post more scores.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

1 hour ago, RoverRick said:

Finally got a round completed in the HRC. Actually I was actually playing on Wednesday but that pesky job interfered and only played 6 holes. Later I determined that it was a non-conforming ball anyway. It was a Volvek Vivid, well it felt too good and spun too much to qualify for this. So I returned today with a found Titleist Velocity and a Top Flight more roll, and a Srixon Marathon.

First, I have a confession to make. My official handicap 14.1 and a 12 on these tees at my home course. This is (was) a true handicap until 2 weeks ago. At that point, I got to play golf once or twice a week for the last 3 years and a 2 year absence before that. I would often go two weeks without touching a club.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had a bit of a job change, and now I am home most days and, in theory, I can play golf everyday. In reality, I have played just one round during the week but have gotten to go to the range and practice on the course 3-4 times in between phone calls and text messages. I played 6 holes the other day and then spent 2 1/2 hours sitting under the trees talking and texting.

My game has improved drastically, but I have not played complete rounds or turned in scorecards during this period. I played in a Shamble tournament last weekend (Lost by 1/2 a point) and played in the Men’s Scramble last night. We won the Scramble at -7 and used 3 of my drives, 7 approach shots and I made 6 of the birdie putts. However, still no scorecards to turn in and adjust my handicap.

I have also developed a baby fade fairway finding driver shot that averages 230 and close to 80% accuracy. I can hit a draw that goes 260 with recently 4 going 272-275 but maybe 20% of fairways. Last Friday morning I went and hit tee shots only off all the driver holes. I hit the two balls, the fade and the draw. I also put together some hybrids with 1/2 shorter shafts to stop over drawing them.

That has been why my handicap was 12-14. Note I didn’t say averages 260 or 270. It probably averages closer to 160 than 260 because they are either awesome or embarrassing and rarely in between.

Last Friday I shot an 84 trying to hit the draws. Today with just focusing on getting in the fairway was a 73.

So my scorecards:
IMG_0041.PNG
IMG_0042.PNG

IMG_0039.JPG

Landed about 3’ from the pin and hit the pin on the bounce and dropped on the lip and rolled about a foot. Of course if it missed the flag than I may have had a 20’er coming back.

I had just 29 putts and 6 of those were in the 10-15’ range, but I didn’t sink any of them. This could have been because these balls sound so clickey off the face but don’t go as far as they sound. Putts tend to just sorta wonder off close to the hole.

Course Rating and Slope from these tees is 69.4/116. And officially I am a 14.1. But I expect this to change once I post more scores.

Nice round! I suspect this score and KP is our clubhouse leader and will be tough to beat.  

• Like 3

Nice round! I suspect this score and KP is our clubhouse leader and will be tough to beat.  

Thanks.

I could definitely tell a difference in the ball performance. I only short sided myself once and that caused the bogey on 2. Well, the poor drive that was 6” from OB and leaving myself 227 yards in the rough from the flag probably had more to do with it than the ball quality and pin location. I also was extremely lucky because the home owner didn’t have a fence and had recently mowed about a foot inside the white stakes. 6” right was OB. 6” left was 8” deep grass. I got my 4 wood on it and to within 30 yards but only had 10’ of green. Ended up with a 30’er for par. I was actually happy with just a bogey there.

Other than that I missed the green on the side where a ball that won’t check up didn’t hurt me. I also hit more loft and harder than usual to compensate on my approach shots.

I normally hit a 3/4 iron shot into the green. I tend hit it straighter and have better distance control.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

So my scorecards:
IMG_0041.thumb.PNG.b38e2159955120fbe78b06b60b4a23c2.PNG
IMG_0042.thumb.PNG.7fdc217a0257fac7a740de3d99286b54.PNG

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.caf4f9aa192396f97d22f96f1b4dd45a.JPG

That is awesome! What did you do practice wise to lead to such improvements? I mean going from a 14 handicap to shooting just over par is a monster jump.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Walked 9 holes with my 14yo today at Rochester Golf Course, it’s 4830 yards from the whites and 114.0/64.0. I ended up with a 47 and thankfully we both ended the round on a high note by both parring the 108 yard 9th hole.

My ammo of choice for the round was this amazing Michelob Ultra branded round white thing. I really hesitate to call it a golf ball. My god it was terrible.

IMG_6065.jpg

No idea who makes it but they should be ashamed of themselves. It lasted until the 7th hole, when I pitched it directly into a water hazard to the left of the green. I ended the round with this classic, the Top Flite XL Distance.

IMG_6067.jpg

My drive on 8 was actually really good with it - dead straight but it was a low bullet that ran right through the rough to the tree line on a dogleg right.

Shockingly I actually spun this sucker back with my PW on the last hole. I’m as shocked as you are. You can see the pitch mark on the left side of the pic. My son stuck his even closer, the little bugger.

IMG_6069.jpg

It was a hot and sweaty round, but I was out there with my son so it was a great time.
IMG_6070.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

It just occurred to me... all Cobra Connect Challenge testers should be required to play and record one HRC round 👍@GolfSpy STUDque how about a new challenge?  Perhaps the best 9 hole score, long drive, and KP, using only irons tee to green. @JohnSmalls has the list of qualifying rocks.

@edingc, @B.Boston, @daviddvm, @GB13, and @Headhammer... think you've got what it takes? 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

Ok, I'm gonna give it a go today.  Got 3 Pinnacle Gold LS and. Nitro backup.

20200725_184202.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

TaylorMade M5 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g, 6.5 @ 46"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3wd w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 85x @ 42.75"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 42.25"

Srixon Z585 4-7, Z785 8-GW w/ TT AMT White X100 @ 38" (5i)

Vokey Jet Black 56/12 and 60/04 w/ Nippon Wedge 115

Odyssey SL Marxman w/ Superstroke Flatso 3.0 @ 33"

Wasn't pretty.  Shot a 49 on the front with the Pinnacles.  I couldn't putt to save my life with them.  I even 4 putted from like 30' on one hole.

The good news is, I switched to my Srixon Z Star XV when I went to the back.  It was getting dark so I only got in 10, 16, 17, and 18, but I went par, par, bogey (3 putt from 60'), and birdie to be even for 4 holes on the back.  So, I know all isn't lost.

Screenshot_20200725-221301_Golf Pad.jpg

Edited by seeking70's
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, seeking70's said:

Wasn't pretty.  Shot a 49 on the front with the Pinnacles.  I couldn't putt to save my life with them.  I even 4 putted from like 30' on one hole.

The good news is, I switched to my Srixon Z Star XV when I went to the back.  It was getting dark so I only got in 10, 16, 17, and 18, but I went par, par, bogey (3 putt from 60'), and birdie to be even for 4 holes on the back.  So, I know all isn't lost.

Man, that course looks dry as a bone... appears to be dead grass?

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Man, that course looks dry as a bone... appears to be dead grass?

I'm sure the Google Maps photo was taken when the grass was dormant.  It's in very good shape for 7-8 months/year and, even when the grass is dormant, it's playable most of the other months.

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to play yesterday, I got my next round planned for Saturday the 1st, I am going to see if I can get twilight some time in the middle of the week.

• Like 1

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Read their thread yesterday and thought I'd give it a go. Played 9 today.  I'm not a long hitter. Best drive was 233. But had a blast.  Used a Callaway Warbird. Shot a 39 at Gladwin Heights Golf Course.  Slope is 110 and rating is 68.7. My handicap is pretty much an 8.

Chris 

20200727_170755.jpg

20200727_100606.jpg

• Like 7

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree), Project X Hzrdus Yellow Stiff Shaft

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:ping-small:: G410 5W

:ping-small::  G20    5H

:ping-small:: G410 5 thru UW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*  

:wilson_staff_small: PMP FG Tour 60*                                                        

:odyssey-small:    OWorks Black #1

:bridgestone-small: TourB RXS / e12 soft

:skycaddie: Touch

Bat Caddy X3 Electric Bag Cart

I finally got a round in! I shot a 46 (+10)at Pine Lake in Anderson SC. Ball flight was extremely low. I usually clear the trees easily on the tee shot on number 7 but had trouble getting the ball a third of the way up the trees this round. Long drive for the day was 268 on number 9!

2B071009-E640-41F1-90E6-A9E372CAC0F5.png

F6BA685C-A7A0-41DD-8F0F-A05B7BDEC99A.jpeg

Edited by 20xUnited
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Driver: Nike Vapor Speed 10.5* 

3 wood: Nike Vapor Speed

2H: Nike Vapor Speed

Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4i-SW

Putter: Nike Method Core

Good going guys!  Today is my catch up day--so I will be getting scores posted/updated.  Please keep an eye out and let me know if I have missed anything.

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue 
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

On 7/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, seeking70's said:

Absolutely great drive, followed by a dreadful second shot, the story of my game.

Seriously great drive, I wonder how you all would feel if I intentionally aimed my drive to the street next to the course and let it go for a mile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

I played 27 holes today at Madison Meadows (Ennis, MT).  It was overcast, cooler, and a bit breezy - blustery making some holes a real challenge to get yardage right.  My HRC round was during the second nine, using a Nike MOJO.  I have never played this ball before and, after that round, never will again!  I'm going on record stating that the Nike MOJO is the biggest POS stone ever produced 🤮.  Seriously, they make a Pinnacle Gold feel good 😬.  It is by far the worst feeling ball I've ever played... not long, not straight, and BUTT UGLY... clearly a ball only its designer could love.

Here it is ready for launch... hell even the camera had a hard time focusing on it 😄.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

This drive traveled 239 yards into the right rough - on what was a decent strike.  Hacked off, I teed up a ProV1 and it went 262 straight down Happy Path Highway. I hated hitting it so much that by hole 4 I was seriously trying to lose it... and couldn't.  Hole #9 is adjacent to the driving range... and, following the last putt, I added it to the range ball collection.  Shot a 43.

Good riddens!

Free Yucky Face Cliparts, Download Free Clip Art, Free Clip Art on ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3