TESTERS WANTED! ×

Carrying only one wedge after the PW, which would you choose?

deejaid

Well for the past couple of years I was content. I played my simple bag of classic clubs and didn’t need to obsess over the minutiae of all the details and configurations of modern clubs. I was enjoying the simplicity and was happy.

A big part of that happiness was in my short game. Any shot inside 75 yards I grabbed my trusty 1957 Wilson 3D Triple Duty wedge and opened the face or hooded it or generally manipulated it to do whatever was needed. I’ve gotten pretty good with it too.

But then I bought some new wedges to go with my modern set and now I’m overwhelmed with wedge choices... high bounce, low bounce, K grind, F grind, etc. The thing I do like is those nice new grooves and when I open up those new wedges the ball stops so easily.

Now I’m looking for the ultimate single wedge to put in my bag. A 54-56* (I’m playing a 50* pitching wedge) wedge that is great around the greens, from the rough, the sand, even tight lies. A grind that will keep the leading edge low when I open the face way up. That one perfect wedge.....so what is it?!

Cleveland RTX, Vokey, Ping Glide Forged?

Tell me the ultimate all-around wedge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I remember Bob Vokey saying the loft gapping in the higher wedges are ideally 4-5 degrees apart, but also to figure out true gapping with how you play it.  

I'm biased towards Vokey, so..... yea haha.  

If you open and close the face for a variety of different shots, I'd say a 54 or 56 bent to 55 in an M or D grind.  

Vokey has the online wedge selector, as I'm sure most others do too.  

Good luck!

:titelist-small:   :projectx:

I only carry a 56 and find that its all I need.  Ive got a Ping Glide 2.0 right now and its a nice wedge but nothing special.  I think that it has too much bounce for hitting open face shots off of tighter lies.

If I were to buy a new wedge today, Id probably buy a Vokey SM8 56 degree with the s grind (10 degrees of bounce) because its the most versatile and is good for square faced shots but still is good when you open the face.

As someone who plays a minimal bag, I need to be able to open and close the face to manipulate the loft.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Wedges, the most complicated club in the bag. I say that because we want them to be able to hit 100 different shots and work in all kinds if conditions.

I actually like your thought process one general wedge that I can learn and use all over the place.

Forget about the manufacturer, they all make a general purpose wedge that works for short game, sand, and can be opened up some. It should come in a mid bounce if 10-14 degrees with loft
of 54-56*.

Just pick one and like you do with you classic clubs learn how to use it an manipulate it to accomplish your goal. Grinds can help make hitting certain shots easier but at the expense of
something else. For example high bounce with no edge
Relief will work in sand but not be as easily opened for flop shots. The club with low bounce will let you open the face but reduce effectiveness for sand play.

You have probably learned all the techniques you need from playing your classic sets. Just do the same think with a new wedge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For the most part you can do the same things with a 54 or 56. The grind options from a manufacturer should be the same in both as well as bounce. 

Your swing, course conditions including bunkers and how you plan to use the wedge all come into play. The great thing is that all the brands you are interested in have some sort of online fitting tool to help you choose. They have you enter some information about your swing, course and club usage. Based on that they will give you recommendation. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I carry a 52, 56, and 60 Cleveland RTX4 wedge set but find myself using the 56 more often.  56 degrees wedge is a very versatile loft for me as I can open up the face or close it for my shot needs.  I used to only carry a 56 after my pitching wedge before I purchased the entire set last season.  

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I've done this quite a bit this year, found it worked better with a 58* over a 56* (for me, of course).  It bears mention that my PW was 52*.  For what it's worth.  😎

As for company, I would look at a Wilson Staff wedge, a PMP, or perhaps their new Staff Model wedges, high toe or not.   My 58* is a PMP, it's quite lovely.

Failing that, Maltby.  Incredible value, and several options to fit you.  (side note: have a 60* Maltby Design that's outstanding, to the point I'm thinking about adding a 54* or 56*)

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

If I were playing a 3 club challenge, a 52* Mid RTX4 would be one of them. It’s my favorite club for approaches under 70 yards, I can hit flops off the fairway, it’s workable in the rough, I’m also 100% with sand saves with it.

Since you have a 50, I’d go 54* Cleveland RTX4 Mid Grind.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I have stated on MGS forums that I am a wedge junkie. I buy ones I have no intention of gaming just to test and compare to what I game. This reply could be wordy so apologies up front 😃.  My experiences / wedge info below. 

Grew up with only 48 deg PW and 56 deg SW ( 1970's). I figured it out. Two wedges any shot, played/learned by feel - no technology or lessons. Yes I wish I had had both. But at same time glad I learned what I did. We all have experiences like these. 

Fast forward to modern times (for me starting mid-90's) I went with three wedge setup to now I game four wedges. So the PW and GW are my full swing wedges exactly 4.5 degrees apart in loft.

The SW and LW depending on the ones I game (course/green type-condition dependent) are 5 degrees apart and steel shafted forged. C-Grind sole on Callway Jaws and zero heel bounce on the Wishon PCF's. 

So I can lay wide open either my CallwayJaws or my Wishon PCF's if need be.

In another era I could also lay open a Wilson Staff and/or Hogan PW and SW -- again I had to learn a little creativity with only two wedges at 7 degrees difference in loft. Had no clue about those old wedges sole design, just moved the ball accordingly and accelerated through the shot. Fun times. But thankful for new technology. 

My thoughts on this are not brand related.  I've had a typical 4 wedge set up of PW, 52, 56, and 60.  However, the last two rounds I've played, I have been grabbing the 56 for short shots around the green and now I've been wondering if I really need the 60 in my bag or not.  For the longest time it was my comfort zone with wedge practice, but I have stopped reaching for it on the course.  There may just be a thing as too many wedges in the bag.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Right now I’m leaning towards a TaylorMade Hi Toe or Callaway PM Grind. A big bit of marketing about these wedges is the versatility around the greens and the ease of opening them up for flop shots.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

Right now I’m leaning towards a TaylorMade Hi Toe or Callaway PM Grind. A big bit of marketing about these wedges is the versatility around the greens and the ease of opening them up for flop shots.

People either like these high toe designs or they don't.  The Hi Toe has a little less bounce, and has full face grooves only on the 56 and up lofts.  I have not played the Hi Toe.  The PM Grind has higher bounce, but I have no problem with them on tight lies, and they are wonderful out of bunkers. Personally, I like my Callaway PM Grind wedges in 54 and 60 with the C-grind, and the full face grooves have been beneficial playing off slopes around the green; I tend to hit the toe on downhill and sidehill lies, and we have those in abundance.  I use the 60 more than the 54 around the green.  

If I were to get only one probably opt for a 56 if I hit full shots.  However, I don't use my 54 or 60 for full shots; maybe 3/4.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I see Wilson has a Hi Toe style wedge as well, the Wilson Staff HT wedge.

Looks like it has a little less offset than the Callaway.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Well, I found the Tour Edge Rally which is a copy Callaway PM Grind on close out for $24 at Budget Golf so I figured it would be a cheap way try out the hi toe design.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9kRUBSRDD1Oq5Qf_uXVujRDzEG-KdInGQl3h4Tvc2hecHvSiE

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwkVrmTuEht_H5exC91MNNeKF9LL_xY8z08rfO86eBVpzS0D0

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

After my PW, I have an 50* Approach wedge, a 54* wedge and a 60* wedge.  If I had to choose just one, I would have the 54* in my bag.  I use it more often than the Approach wedge, and I really only use the 60* for flop shots on tough lies around the greens.

On 7/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, deejaid said:

That one perfect wedge.....so what is it?!

Deejaid, for me it's the 56. I use this wedge more than any other in my bag besides putter. Without looking it up I can't tell you the specs. I mostly play bermuda courses and this club is the most versatile of any.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My Tiltleist 54 degree in oil can finish. Its the best club in my bag. If I have to break off of driver for a hole, I plan it to give me the 54 into the green.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star