TESTERS WANTED! ×

So Bryson's diet is apparently a big deal today, even in mainstream media...there's a write-up on Fox News.

Honestly, I'm not all that blown away by the total calorie count...it's really not that hard to eat that many calories, especially if you've got steak and bacon on the menu.  In fact it's easy if you are relying on shakes as much as he is.  

What it is is damn expensive.  I drink two shakes a day on my workout days, but I'm drinking the MuscleTech stuff from Sam's Club that's $30 for a 5-gallon tub.  This Orgain stuff that he's drinking is $20 for 1 pound.  At 7 shakes a day he's going through a 1 pound container every two days at least.

I know financially in his position that's not an issue, but it's certainly not an every man's diet for bulking up.

Bryson Diet Pic.png

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Sounds rather constipating to me.  That many protein shakes cannot be healthy.  I don't care what anyone says.

Edit to add; Absolutely no fruits or vegetables unless those make up his "snacks while practicing."  Sounds a bit like trying to feed a middle school kid.

In one ear and out the other with stuff like this. It's unsustainable for most.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

wow... he must poop a lot.

also - they need to show what his workout routine is along with this diet. If he is consuming that many calories he's also got to balance it with some type of workout. We're only seeing half the picture here.

they do this type of stuff with the "world's strongest man" thing and it's kinda ridiculous. 
Look, he eats 4 steaks, a dozen eggs, 4 chickens and washes it all down with a massive veggie/protein/turbo shake!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Sounds rather constipating to me.  That many protein shakes cannot be healthy.  I don't care what anyone says.

Edit to add; Absolutely no fruits or vegetables unless those make up his "snacks while practicing."  Sounds a bit like trying to feed a middle school kid.

Shakes are healthy and are supplements. He’s probably consuming 240+g of protein. Not easy to get that in while not being at the house for every meal. The shakes are a supplement to eating 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shakes are healthy and are supplements. He’s probably consuming 240+g of protein. Not easy to get that in while not being at the house for every meal. The shakes are a supplement to eating 

The "supplement" industry is the least regulated industry in the world. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/06/supplements-make-tobacco-look-easy/488798/

Pretty damning when the past 6 Directors of the Department of Health and Human Services compared supplements and their effects on the US population to be as bad as big tobacco! 

I'll pass!

16 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The "supplement" industry is the least regulated industry in the world. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/06/supplements-make-tobacco-look-easy/488798/

Pretty damning when the past 6 Directors of the Department of Health and Human Services compared supplements and their effects on the US population to be as bad as big tobacco! 

I'll pass!

I don’t disagree that there’s issues within the supplement industry and a lot of the issues revolve around supplements like fat burners and nowhere in that article does it talk about issues with protein shakes. 

You won’t find a reputable trainer that doesn’t talk about it being ok to use protein shakes to help meet protein needs. The number of them that would say consuming 7 a day is probably low but I have seen several including those with PHDs in nutrition that say it’s ok to use a few shakes per day. 

Bryson has a full team around him and I would doubt he’s drinking 7 shakes without their approval and recommendation on what brands to use.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Seems like he is a guy that doesn't normally have a big appetite.

Back when I was Bryson's age (sounds weird saying that), I could eat a 24 oz steak like it was an appetizer. I have an abnormally big appetite though, even to this day.

These days, I do have two scoops of protein per day, 1 per bowl of oatmeal. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

The whole diet and weight gain seems like an ego thing. The training that he put in is what should be getting the attention, but it y’all about his weight gain and not the work he put in that really made the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t disagree that there’s issues within the supplement industry and a lot of the issues revolve around supplements like fat burners and nowhere in that article does it talk about issues with protein shakes. 

You won’t find a reputable trainer that doesn’t talk about it being ok to use protein shakes to help meet protein needs. The number of them that would say consuming 7 a day is probably low but I have seen several including those with PHDs in nutrition that say it’s ok to use a few shakes per day. 

Bryson has a full team around him and I would doubt he’s drinking 7 shakes without their approval and recommendation on what brands to use.

A few isn't 7 a day!  Far from it!  To each their own!  I don't believe it's sustainable.  Time will tell.

30 minutes ago, sixcat said:

A few isn't 7 a day!  Far from it!  To each their own!  I don't believe it's sustainable.  Time will tell.

Again he has a training staff. If 7 was an issue they wouldn’t let him have that many. Also they don’t say if it’s pure protein like whey or casein or a combo or if it’s some concoction of protein sources blended up. 

As with anything in training time and tracking will always determine the results. It all depends on what his goals will be and if they change to accomplish something else. His current goal was to bulk up to increase driving distance. Over the last 3+ months he was able to do both. He could easily go into a maintenance mode if he’s at his desired weight and appearance. maybe as the year goes on his wants to cut some body fat to improve his physique then his diet will change and what he consumes will match up with that.  It would be like a bodybuilder who goes into a long bulk to add muscle and size then enters a prep phase to be stage ready and they cut size. 

We have to wait and see what his goals are, but for the time being he’s achieving what he’s set out for.

@RickyBobby_PRis right, the guy has a training staff and dietitian scheduling and programming his workouts, nutrition, etc. I doubt any of us are really in a position to second-guess the experts he has around him, especially since it's obviously working for him.   I'm honestly a little surprised the total calorie count is only 3-3.5K.  I did a mild winter bulk and my total calorie count for a bulking diet, per day, was 3.1K.  Granted that was for a slow clean bulk, but I'm only 5'9"...I would have guessed he'd need more than that.

But again, he's no doubt surrounded by experts who know what they're doing.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

@RickyBobby_PRis right, the guy has a training staff and dietitian scheduling and programming his workouts, nutrition, etc. I doubt any of use are really in a position to second-guess the experts he has around him, especially since it's obviously working for him.   I'm honestly a little surprised the total calorie count is only 3-3.5K.  I did a mild winter bulk and my total calorie count for a bulking diet, per day, was 3.1K.  Granted that was for a slow clean bulk, but I'm only 5'9"...I would have guessed he'd need more than that.

But again, he's no doubt surrounded by experts who know what they're doing.

I was surprised the cals were in that range. I expected them to be in the 4-5 range for the amount of weight he gained in a short period of time.

At the end of the day calories are energy and the number of calories needed depends on the energy levels and expenditures of the individual person and their goal. The rock eats about 7k calories/day and is upwards of 10k. His cheat day looks like most people’s entire week

Nobody, including Bryson, knows how this will play out over time.  We've never seen anyone at the highest levels of golf do this before.  The on-course results are interesting and intriguing but I don't believe it is sustainable.  I believe he will ultimately have injury issues.  It just depends on how long he can sustain this frame and play golf at the elite level his is currently playing before those injuries mount.  

Again, my opinion.  It may or may not be worth a s*** for anything!

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Nobody, including Bryson, knows how this will play out over time.  We've never seen anyone at the highest levels of golf do this before.  The on-course results are interesting and intriguing but I don't believe it is sustainable.  I believe he will ultimately have injury issues.  It just depends on how long he can sustain this frame and play golf at the elite level his is currently playing before those injuries mount.  

That goes for anything in golf or life. It’s not like Bryson is doing this on his own and just winging it. Anyone working with a coach whether it’s for their swing, their nutrition or training communicates with their coach and there’s a plan that has some sort of goal associated with it to track progress or lack of. Based on the whatever metric is used to track the coach uses that plus feedback from the individual and adjusts accordingly. 

None of us knows what his long term goal is or what the intermediate points are to that end goal so yes this may or may not be sustainable for a long period of time (whatever one considers long). It may not be his plan. What we can do is look at his goal and did he achieve it. So far the goal was to bulk up to gain distance and be the longest driver on tour. He achieved the added weight and the added weight achieved his goal of being the longest driver on tour over the last several weeks. It also hasn’t affected his ability to play well and finish high on the leaderboard. 

Now it’s sit back and watch and wait for what’s next or see if things start going bad for him and if he adjusts and how he adjusts.

38 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That goes for anything in golf or life. It’s not like Bryson is doing this on his own and just winging it. Anyone working with a coach whether it’s for their swing, their nutrition or training communicates with their coach and there’s a plan that has some sort of goal associated with it to track progress or lack of. Based on the whatever metric is used to track the coach uses that plus feedback from the individual and adjusts accordingly. 

None of us knows what his long term goal is or what the intermediate points are to that end goal so yes this may or may not be sustainable for a long period of time (whatever one considers long). It may not be his plan. What we can do is look at his goal and did he achieve it. So far the goal was to bulk up to gain distance and be the longest driver on tour. He achieved the added weight and the added weight achieved his goal of being the longest driver on tour over the last several weeks. It also hasn’t affected his ability to play well and finish high on the leaderboard. 

Now it’s sit back and watch and wait for what’s next or see if things start going bad for him and if he adjusts and how he adjusts.

Well said.  For me that he gained the weight and bulk really isn't the impressive part.  That's perfectly doable for many.  It's that he's translated it to increased clubhead speed.  Conventional wisdom would tell you upper body mass becomes a hindrance rather than an enabler.  What he's doing is truly historic in the game.  Sustainable?  We'll see.  Personally I have my doubts, but it's good entertainment to say the least...

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Well said.  For me that he gained the weight and bulk really isn't the impressive part.  That's perfectly doable for many.  It's that he's translated it to increased clubhead speed.  Conventional wisdom would tell you upper body mass becomes a hindrance rather than an enabler.  What he's doing is truly historic in the game.  Sustainable?  We'll see.  Personally I have my doubts, but it's good entertainment to say the least...

...what's he going to do to help him make more putts? 😆 
I remember he tried side-saddle and PGA said no way dude.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

...what's he going to do to help him make more putts? 😆 

23 in SG putting. It's not his putting.

His chipping on the other hand. (104) 🤮 And the funny thing is that this gets compounded by hitting the ball farther....

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

...what's he going to do to help him make more putts?  

Hell if I know. I’m waiting for him to bust out that putter (name escapes me) that stands up on it’s own that John Smoltz was using...

12 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Hell if I know. I’m waiting for him to bust out that putter (name escapes me) that stands up on it’s own that John Smoltz was using...

This, the S7K....Golf Channel informercial special right after the Square Strike and GX7.  Although now it looks like there is another company called Bloodline that has one of these, with Ernie Els endorsing it?  And now we're off topic...

S7K.jpg

I’m thinking along the same lines. It’s definitely interesting as an experiment from “the golf scientist” — but sustainable... for years? We’ll see.

I tend to think that fast massive gains are difficult on tendons and joints. And in golf, when the swing becomes too violent/explosive and not graceful enough, body parts will blow out. This is what happened to Tiger, in my opinion (and also according to others, such as Gary Player, for example—an early example of a golfer who was big on diet and physical fitness, with very specific convictions/theory about what an ideal golf physique is). Tiger was the best, bulked up to become better, it worked for a few years and then body parts started breaking down... the knee and back are obviously known but I’d bet he has issues we don’t know about too.

If Bryson stays on this path, I expect injuries in his not too distant future. His swing does not appear graceful to me, but explosive and violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

35 minutes ago, bluesmandan76 said:

I’m thinking along the same lines. It’s definitely interesting as an experiment from “the golf scientist” — but sustainable... for years? We’ll see.

I tend to think that fast massive gains are difficult on tendons and joints. And in golf, when the swing becomes too violent/explosive and not graceful enough, body parts will blow out. This is what happened to Tiger, in my opinion (and also according to others, such as Gary Player, for example—an early example of a golfer who was big on diet and physical fitness, with very specific convictions/theory about what an ideal golf physique is). Tiger was the best, bulked up to become better, it worked for a few years and then body parts started breaking down... the knee and back are obviously known but I’d bet he has issues we don’t know about too.

If Bryson stays on this path, I expect injuries in his not too distant future. His swing does not appear graceful to me, but explosive and violent.

Bryson hasn’t said how much he planned to gain or to what ball speed he is trying to get to on the course so speculation about if it will hold up in the long run is putting the cart before the horse. What Bryson said is he wanted to be the longest driver on tour. He along with his team decided he needed to add mass, they developed a strategy and put a plan together to get there. He has achieved that so what he set out and accomplished that based on his distance stats so far. We need to see what goals he has for long term and to wait and see.

As for Tiger it wasn’t his bulking that caused his issues. In his own words it was the amount of running he did early on. He was running 30 miles a week and many times that was done in military boots so saying bulking caused his issues isn’t true.

I may get some "feedback" for this post, but this thread and the topic as a whole have me seriously considering adopting my own mini experiment come this offseason.  Living in Nebraska I'm not golfing in the winter months, save the occasional one-off odd weather day, but I'm very much contemplating starting a thread here, maybe mid-October, with the intent to add 10-15 pounds of (hopefully mostly) lean muscle and measuring any increases in swing speed.

A lot a caveats and nuances to the idea.  For starters, 10-15 pounds on a clean bulking diet and weight training with the intent of gaining a few mph, no a radical transformation.  I've been doing some sort of weight training for nearly 20 years now too, so this wouldn't be a starting from scratch kind of experiment and would be a bit limited by basic laws of diminishing returns.  (In other words, someone whose never touched weights or eaten for bulk  before could add 10-15 pounds of muscle far more easily than I could.)  But, I have access to the largest gym in the Department of Defense, a home gym, a dietitian and means to get solid before/during/after body composition and body fat measurements.  Form a golf swing perspective, I can continue SuperSpeed training, my GolfTec program drills, and OrangeWhip tempo training in order to "preserve" my golf swing.  I don't have a swing speed radar, but getting swing speed measured on a before/during/after basis would be easy enough as well.

Really really thinking about doing this, and running a thread on MGS as I go.

Dare I ask for thoughts/feedback?

Go for it. Definitely would be interested in seeing how things go for you if you do take it on.

I may get some "feedback" for this post, but this thread and the topic as a whole have me seriously considering adopting my own mini experiment come this offseason.  Living in Nebraska I'm not golfing in the winter months, save the occasional one-off odd weather day, but I'm very much contemplating starting a thread here, maybe mid-October, with the intent to add 10-15 pounds of (hopefully mostly) lean muscle and measuring any increases in swing speed.
A lot a caveats and nuances to the idea.  For starters, 10-15 pounds on a clean bulking diet and weight training with the intent of gaining a few mph, no a radical transformation.  I've been doing some sort of weight training for nearly 20 years now too, so this wouldn't be a starting from scratch kind of experiment and would be a bit limited by basic laws of diminishing returns.  (In other words, someone whose never touched weights or eaten for bulk  before could add 10-15 pounds of muscle far more easily than I could.)  But, I have access to the largest gym in the Department of Defense, a home gym, a dietitian and means to get solid before/during/after body composition and body fat measurements.  Form a golf swing perspective, I can continue SuperSpeed training, my GolfTec program drills, and OrangeWhip tempo training in order to "preserve" my golf swing.  I don't have a swing speed radar, but getting swing speed measured on a before/during/after basis would be easy enough as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sounds like a good idea. I've been following a golf strength program for the past few months and it has been helping me with on the course results. 

I used to be into weight lifting pretty seriously about 10 years ago, but then I had quit for a while. The problem with my weight lifting back then though was it was always focused on "show" muscles, not on functional strength (i.e. leg workouts weren't important to me back then). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

kind of taking over the broadcast, where they having nothing else to talk about. This might be unique in golf, but is routine in many other sports, especially where cardio conditioning is so important. Really hard to keep weight and prevent muscle loss if you are biking, running, swimming, etc every single day. Alot of high level athletes eat 4k - 7k calories a day. Let's talk more about the results of this and his speed and about his golf play rather than the shakes. We get it! Make jokes about the big guy eating alot. We get it! What goes in must come out. We get it!

I like Bryson. I like his approach to the game. He wants to win. Kevin Kisner kind of said it best and basically admitted that he is just playing golf. Kiz has a good life, travels the world, makes some darn good money. He obviously practices golf, but he has kids and a family that are priorities. Nothing wrong with that. That would be my mentality as well. But Byrson is on a different level. He is willing to do anything to improve. Maybe that hinders him from every settling into something but right now it is fun to watch.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I’m skeptical about his approach long term as I said before, but I have to say after this past weekend I am impressed by his “Moneyball” approach. Driver, wedge, hot putter wins today.

I’m trying to recall how often I’ve seen a guy win who normally has a balanced game, but then for a particular tournament he suddenly gets hot with the putter... seems like I hear that in the strokes gained commentary fairly often when watching. Bryson adapted to make it happen.... trying to be the best driver and the best putter, drive for show AND putt for dough! I see in his SG he’s a solid scrambler too.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I have issues with this strictly because they’re putting out that “this is a diet you can follow”. A) the average person cannot follow this strictly on the fact they won’t be able to put those calories to use and B) it’s not healthy anyway. Granted he probably gets variety day to day and this is probably 1 day if X amount of days. Either way ITs NOT A HEALTHY DIET.

i struggled (recently just broke the habit) after the military with lots of eating just because I could burn them but it was healthier eating.

moral of the story most of is most of us could never follow this and I think it’s haphazard to put it out as “be like Dechambeau eat like dechambeau”

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!