Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How many different ways do you grip the club?

I'm pretty traditional in the sense that I grip my putter one way and all of my other clubs the same way.

But I got to thinking - maybe I'm not traditional - maybe folks use a few different grip styles based on the shot?

So that led me to try something.... 

For shorter chip shots I didn't feel like I had MEGA control of the clubface so I could be ULTRA precise with my landing spot. Instead of my normal grip (interlocking) I switched to grabbing the club fully with my right hand and then laying my left index finger over my right pinkie. (note: this is slightly different than my putting grip)

When I did that I felt like I had that control of the club I was seeking and started hitting crisp and clean shots. (note2: I tried this will full shots and it was not good, don't do that)

....which led me to wonder: 
How many different ways do you grip your clubs? Is it the same all the way through the putter? Different for driver? Same except for the putter?

Curious what you guys do...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Funny you mention that, I play a 10 finger grip but was messing around the other day and decided to try overlap. Felt weird but results weren't all that different. But when I got to chip the results were off the charts. I couldn't miss the center of the club. I am just crazy enough to hit full shots with one grip and chips with another and then putt with another.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Probably one area of my game that doesn't get enough focus because it's so critical to consistency.

I basically have my putting and full-swing grips. For certain short game shots I may palm the grip a bit more, but that's about it.

Putter grip is interlocked. Throughout my life I've gone from 10 finger, to interlocked, to 10 finger and now to overlapping for my full swing grip.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I use a putter grip and an overlap full swing grip.  Whatever is comfortable and works, but the putter grip should not be the same as the full swing grip.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You guys that want to discuss the merits of putting the grip in your fingers or not and Pat O'Brien...

Here's your thread - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39361-putting-and-golf-grip-fingers-vs-non-fingers

That wasn't the intention of this discussion so I've moved it to it's own topic.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Vardon grip on all my standard shots, left-hand low for putting.

That said, I do on occasion manipulate my left hand (I'm RH) to weaken it on some chip shots.  This is almost exclusively in situations where I'm short-sided and I need to get the ball high.  Clubface is laid way open, ball is forward, and all I'm doing is making sure I'm not going to shut the clubface down.  Very much an instinctive feel thing that I practice a lot.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have a very strong interlocking grip on all my clubs. My swing is designed to hit a draw and that is what every thing is set up for. I even interlock on my putter but I have my right pointer finger running down the grip. I'll switch to left hand low if I have a few bad putting rounds in a row. The small change gives me something new to focus on, do that for 2-3 rounds and I'm usually back.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

51 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

As I said earlier, the full swing grip should not be used to swing a putter for most of us amateurs,

I grip all my clubs the same way. With a full finger grip. Several years ago (and after a lifetime essentially) I changed from an overlap grip on irons, woods, etc to a full finger grip. I have always used a full finger grip when putting. My putting has always been the strongest of my game. By changing my grip to full-finger with my other clubs made a huge difference. I belive it works better for guys with smaller hands. The result was much improved - more solid ball striking and some added distance. To each his own.... whatever works. Right?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

I grip all my clubs the same: I use an interlocked grip with a strong gloved hand grip and a more neutral right hand. Use the same grip for putting except I extend my right index finger down the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 7/1/2020 at 2:38 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm pretty traditional in the sense that I grip my putter one way and all of my other clubs the same way.

But I got to thinking - maybe I'm not traditional - maybe folks use a few different grip styles based on the shot?

So that led me to try something.... 

For shorter chip shots I didn't feel like I had MEGA control of the clubface so I could be ULTRA precise with my landing spot. Instead of my normal grip (interlocking) I switched to grabbing the club fully with my right hand and then laying my left index finger over my right pinkie. (note: this is slightly different than my putting grip)

When I did that I felt like I had that control of the club I was seeking and started hitting crisp and clean shots. (note2: I tried this will full shots and it was not good, don't do that)

....which led me to wonder: 
How many different ways do you grip your clubs? Is it the same all the way through the putter? Different for driver? Same except for the putter?

Curious what you guys do...

So I have my putter grip (left hand low/right handed golfer) and over lap grip for all other clubs. I was taught to use a different grip for putting (regardless of which hand is low) because the wrist want to break/flex from the normal grip/hitting repetitions. So I have always had basically two grips. 

I do know friends that use only one grip and some have at least three pending the club/situation. They do fine. Heard instructors that favor either position (one or multiple). IF it works for you and you are consistent than I think its a good thing on your part. 

I use interlocking on my irons and hybrid. 10 finger on 5w, 3w, and driver. 10 finger with my right pointer finger extending down the right side of the shaft on my putter.

If my putting is off a little I dont extend the pointer finger down the shaft and that fixes it for the day. Strange that a subtle change like that works for me. Maybe its all in my head!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I went from interlock to overlap over 30 years ago.  From there it's either neutral, strong, or weak in hand position.  I do extend my right index finger down the putter shaft.  I'm experimenting with left hand low putting... still not committed to it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)