Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft help: Tensei Orange CK grey not black?

Hey all! Trying to nail down exactly what this shaft is. Is it the V1 of the Tensei Orange CK? I’ve not come across many with the grey at the bottom. And this looks to be the pro version right? (See bullet one below)

Here’s what I know from doing research:

• when the shaft above the orange line has some of the “fiberglass look” going all the way up (not stopping below the grip) that it’s likely a Pro, not just the CK
  • the current Tensei CK Pro Orange are not grey at the bottom like this one

Any and all help are appreciated!! 

75FF5783-D7C1-45D6-AF6F-0E13223CD878.png

Edited by analyticandrew

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

So I don't know exactly which this shaft is. But from fittings I have heard fitters say that the Tensi Orange is available in multiple options (where the term PRO comes in and related coloring scheme) and there is a difference between what manufacturers use as stock vs the after market. That is what I have heard being discussed so take that with a grain of salt. The website/customer service may can help you. See link: http://www.mca-golf.com/brands/tensei™

Hopefully others on MGS can chime in with thoughts/comments. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

So I don't know exactly which this shaft is. But from fittings I have heard fitters say that the Tensi Orange is available in multiple options (where the term PRO comes in and related coloring scheme) and there is a difference between what manufacturers use as stock vs the after market. That is what I have heard being discussed so take that with a grain of salt. The website/customer service may can help you. See link: http://www.mca-golf.com/brands/tensei™

Hopefully others on MGS can chime in with thoughts/comments. Good luck. 

Thanks!! I reached out to their customer service so we will see what happens! And yeah if anyone here knows too, that’d be awesome. 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Taylormade OEM shafts were definitely grey in the lower section as were some Pings as I recall. There is (or certainly was) a distinct difference in specs between the "made for" version and the standard aftermarket retail version, normally in weight categorisation (65g is usually a giveaway of OEM shafts) but also in overall specs of butt diameter and torque, giving a mid/low profile rather than low. The Pro version is ramped up a bit more to give low/low characteristics and TX version to boot. 

Most shaft manufacturers are a bit fickle when it comes to shaft manufacture and most brands do deals to showcase the shafts in their latest lineups. Needless to say the quantities required make for a slightly modified fibre to pre-preg ratio (and even the amount of kevlar in the case of the CK series)  to keep costs down to suit the requirements of the OEM. They are different, but not in a bad way - you have to be pretty discerning or fitted specifically to notice the major differences. Lower in quality? not one bit - like I said it's all about reducing the quantity of the fibre content which is the element of where the money goes in shaft manufacture ( and a bit of tungsten powder for the counter weighting in the CK orange). Minor tweaks in quantities of fibre and resin equate to big bucks on a bulk order. It's purely for economics - the snobs among the golfing world equate that ratio in cost to mean "quality" - which is totally wrong. It's a quality shaft in any format.

I would say you probably have a 60g "made for' shaft (measuring the butt would reveal a bit more probably) - it's not a Pro version.