TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tru Fit posed an interesting combo... are they on to something?

I am a bit on the quick side (transition and tempo) 

SS around 105+

Short with long arms. 29" wrist to floor for reference.

Tru Fit suggested .....

Higher weight 70+g  -  Regular Flex  -  Cut off 2"

Has anyone heard of this -  cut the length, up the weight,  while relaxing the flex ??? As a recipe for a solid fit.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

FW: Adams XTD Speedline 3W

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams and Callaway  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

BALLS:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

10 hours ago, Badams69 said:

SS around 105+

Tru Fit suggested .....

Has anyone heard of this -  cut the length, up the weight,  while relaxing the flex ??? As a recipe for a solid fit.

Regular with 105+ mph swing? I have heard that shaft flexes are not universal and sometimes one company's stiff is other company's regular etc. I have also heard that long drive guys often choose stiff shafts despite the fact they are well into TX territory but I don't think that is relevant for mere mortals like us. At least without expert analysis and advice.

I am not saying that regular shaft couldn't work for you but it sounds to me that choosing softer flex tries to manage the timing of the shaft. Now, whereas I would (kind of) trust well established fitter's such recommendation after the fitting, I certanly would not trust computer program to asses this kind of thing (especially if it relies on my assesments of my swing). Just my 0,02 USD.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

14 hours ago, Badams69 said:

SS around 105+

Tru Fit suggested .....

Well - it's not as daft as it seems. Weight is a much overlooked element of shaft fitting. It is a useful tool for controlling tempo. A fast tempo and transition would justify a higher weight - tip trimming 2" would negate the need to trim the butt further and therefore losing more weight. The logic that the 2" tip trim stiffens it up to the 'stiff' frequency range without losing as much overall weight as using a stiff shaft and butt trimming to playing length. 105mph SS isn't that extreme - it's certainly not completely out of any flex category to give the desired trajectory, spin and launch profile - it's all a question of getting the correct ball impact dynamics for the given loft. Your release point and AoA  would be a deciding factor maybe to get you into the ideal spin loft - weight and length are the critical factors in getting the centre impact spot on. So if the numbers are good, the flex is a means of fine tuning.

46 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Well - it's not as daft as it seems. Weight is a much overlooked element of shaft fitting. It is a useful tool for controlling tempo. A fast tempo and transition would justify a higher weight - tip trimming 2" would negate the need to trim the butt further and therefore losing more weight. The logic that the 2" tip trim stiffens it up to the 'stiff' frequency range without losing as much overall weight as using a stiff shaft and butt trimming to playing length. 105mph SS isn't that extreme - it's certainly not completely out of any flex category to give the desired trajectory, spin and launch profile - it's all a question of getting the correct ball impact dynamics for the given loft. Your release point and AoA  would be a deciding factor maybe to get you into the ideal spin loft - weight and length are the critical factors in getting the centre impact spot on. So if the numbers are good, the flex is a means of fine tuning.

Thanks. It is an interesting option for a person such as myself 

Height wise I'd be more in line with women's length clubs but swing wise more in line with stiff and medium to heavy men's.

Have had issues with shortened clubs in the past but the weighting was all wrong so it went horrible.  

Interesting to hear you say tip trimming negates some aspect of the weight loss.  I'm guessing the butt is heavier due to circumference .

WITB

IRONS: Callaway CF19 (4-P)   /   CF16 (4-AW)  /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)   /   Tommy Armour 845s (3-W)

WEDGES: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 ES  /   Cleveland CG14 50*, 56*    /  Smartsole  56*   /  RTX4 56*  /   NIKE VR 56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / couple of Odyssey No. 2's

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

5 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

Regular with 105+ mph swing? I have heard that shaft flexes are not universal and sometimes one company's stiff is other company's regular etc. I have also heard that long drive guys often choose stiff shafts despite the fact they are well into TX territory but I don't think that is relevant for mere mortals like us. At least without expert analysis and advice.

I am not saying that regular shaft couldn't work for you but it sounds to me that choosing softer flex tries to manage the timing of the shaft. Now, whereas I would (kind of) trust well established fitter's such recommendation after the fitting, I certanly would not trust computer program to asses this kind of thing (especially if it relies on my assesments of my swing). Just my 0,02 USD.

shortening the shaft is going to stiffen it as well, which could be why he suggested R.  I guess another option could have been hardstepping the R flex.  But like you said, he's the professional, most of us are just arm chair fitters 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

70 is on the heavier end of the spectrum for driver shafts unless you are a pro in the 120 mph range and will probably play stiffer than a lot of 60 gram stiff shafts, especially with 2" cut off. 

Is 105 your simulator/fitting swing or is that measured on the course? Safe to assume most people are at least 1-2 mph slower on the course than indoors. Especially by the end of the round. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Here is an interesting article from Tom Wishon in regards to shaft flex and tempo.

https://wishongolf.com/2013/07/31/short-powerful-backswing-so-whats-the-best-shaft-for-me/

My driver swing speed is the same as yours but I have a long backswing, past parallel with the driver. Because my transition is smoother and my long swing has more time to get up to speed I do very well with heavy shafts in regular flex. Actually, R+ or firm are really the wheelhouse for me. The old Royal Precision Rifle 5.0 or Dynamic Gold R400’s both work really well.

At the same time, I have played stiff in KBS and now have Steelfiber FC115 stiffs in another set of irons and they play well too, although I prefer the Rifle 5.0 and am playing my iron set that has those right now.

As mentioned, shaft weight has a big impact on performance, as much as flex does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Here is an interesting article from Tom Wishon in regards to shaft flex and tempo.

https://wishongolf.com/2013/07/31/short-powerful-backswing-so-whats-the-best-shaft-for-me/

My driver swing speed is the same as yours but I have a long backswing, past parallel with the driver. Because my transition is smoother and my long swing has more time to get up to speed I do very well with heavy shafts in regular flex. Actually, R+ or firm are really the wheelhouse for me. The old Royal Precision Rifle 5.0 or Dynamic Gold R400’s both work really well.

At the same time, I have played stiff in KBS and now have Steelfiber FC115 stiffs in another set of irons and they play well too, although I prefer the Rifle 5.0 and am playing my iron set that has those right now.

As mentioned, shaft weight has a big impact on performance, as much as flex does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 7/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, Calvo90 said:

R due to the 2" cut stiffening up the shaft a ton.  Kinda the same effect bore-through had in the old Titleist, except I would assume slightly more due to the greater cut.... but that could be wrong again due to the bore through all around the shaft.

I could not play a R as-is.  Not due to SS, but more because I'm an impatient idiot once that takeaway is past  the first blade of grass behind the club.

10 hours ago, BMart519 said:

70 is on the heavier end of the spectrum for driver shafts unless you are a pro in the 120 mph range and will probably play stiffer than a lot of 60 gram stiff shafts, especially with 2" cut off. 

Is 105 your simulator/fitting swing or is that measured on the course? Safe to assume most people are at least 1-2 mph slower on the course than indoors. Especially by the end of the round. 

Simulator once warm actually tilts to the 108-111 range.  I have some major back issues like what Tiger has but more severe.  So it takes me a long time to get it cranked up and moving well.   So later in round is far better for me than early 2nd 18 was always my favorite - I was loose to actually swing it, but fatigued enough to slow down tempo a bit.  Those days are done.  2nd nine is tougher than ever as I pack on the pounds and years!

WITB