TESTERS WANTED! ×

Decade golf app - my 6 month journey

analyticandrew

6 minutes ago, edingc said:

Curious how you play this hole? And also, how tall are the trees nearest the left side past the water? Can you punch out from under them should it get caught up? 

My first glance thought is to hit whatever club you can carry 220 consistently on a line just to the right of what you'e drawn. 5 wood, 3 wood, hybrid, whatever. My aggressive play would be to take a similar line to what you've drawn with driver.

Personally, knowing my shot shapes and misses, I would feel less comfortable laying back on this hole because I'm quite likely to hook my 5/6 iron into the water playing for that 185 landing spot in the fairway.

I've played this hole a lot; I'd say 99% of the time I playing to the right of the pond. in front of the circle but behind the red line. That usually leaves me a 9 or PW into the green but I'm sometimes blocked out by the tree on my right and I either have to cut the shot in or play to the left side of the green and hope they don't put the pin in a bad spot.

I've birdied it a couple times but am happy with a par here.

One guy I played with who'd never played it before grabbed his driver and just ripped it over the pond. Not sure I'd have the guts to do that but I'd really like to try. 

and yes, if you get caught up in the trees past the pond you have to punch a low runner out.

Also there's trouble on the right under the trees as there is a ditch that runs along the side of the fw if you go too far right.

Surely you're right with a consistent 220 carry on a line but those words aren't always in my golfing vocabulary 🤣

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I'm certainly not an expert in DECADE, but I would say depending on how high the trees on the left are and what your driver carry is, the blue line is probably the recommended DECADE line. If that's not possible, the red is probably the DECADE line as it covers the pond and is the widest section of the hole apart from the blue area.

what would DECADE suggest from here?
This is the first hole.
if you want to carry the water - 200;
Do you go for the square (243) with a 35 yard wide landing area or play to the circle with a more generous landing area?
again...first hole of the day. 
(FWIW I drew this on Google Earth on the web. That is a bad a** app!)

image.png.745449f4f293b89cb37e4c11dcc4a4eb.png
tapatalk_1618585328514~3.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

5 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm certainly not an expert in DECADE, but I would say depending on how high the trees on the left are and what your driver carry is, the blue line is probably the recommended DECADE line. If that's not possible, the red is probably the DECADE line as it covers the pond and is the widest section of the hole apart from the blue area.

tapatalk_1618585328514~3.jpeg

Interesting - yeah - those trees are big but if you can elevate it like a tour player you might be able to get over.

That red landing area is only 35 yards wide so your margin for error is small and any minor mistake and you're likely punching out and giving up a stroke. 

I would love to take 5 balls from the tee and try it, but it's the first hole and you're right out in front of the clubhouse.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That usually leaves me a 9 or PW into the green but I'm sometimes blocked out by the tree on my right and I either have to cut the shot in or play to the left side of the green and hope they don't put the pin in a bad spot.

Per feedback from Scott; if you are getting yourself into wedge distance that is an acceptable play. Being blocked out sometimes is just part of your dispersion pattern. Play the shot that is available and move on.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not as entertaining a post as some of these hole discussions, but having started Foundations I've watched the first video a couple times over and he's already recommended a couple of books (in addition to the ones he pushes on Twitter); specifically Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie, and Elements of Scoring by Ray Floyd.  I know reading these books is not essential to learning DECADE, but has anyone read these by chance?  Recommend them?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I've not read the Floyd book but I do own a copy of Broadie's. I highly recommend it.

Not as entertaining a post as some of these hole discussions, but having started Foundations I've watched the first video a couple times over and he's already recommended a couple of books (in addition to the ones he pushes on Twitter); specifically Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie, and Elements of Scoring by Ray Floyd.  I know reading these books is not essential to learning DECADE, but has anyone read these by chance?  Recommend them?

Interesting - yeah - those trees are big but if you can elevate it like a tour player you might be able to get over.
That red landing area is only 35 yards wide so your margin for error is small and any minor mistake and you're likely punching out and giving up a stroke. 
I would love to take 5 balls from the tee and try it, but it's the first hole and you're right out in front of the clubhouse.
As cnosil put it, if you're getting a wedge or 9i in, you're probably making an acceptable play on the hole. Unless you can carry those left hand trees on the blue line, the margin for error is small pretty much the whole way up the hole until that big opening left and short of the green. At that point, you're playing for percentages. Laying back a bit might give you a better angle to the green, but you have less fairway to work with and a water hazard to deal with and the trees on the right are likely still in play. And this is one of the sticking points Scott gets into on Twitter a lot, angles don't matter enough for you to be chasing them as a good angle often means aiming into more trouble and giving yourself a much smaller margin for error. Your aimpoint should be to center your dispersion in the least amount of trouble as possible and as far down the hole as possible. If you end up blocked out in the trees, unfortunately that's just shot variance at play and could just as easily happen if you lay back too. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not an expert on DECADE, but this is just what I've gathered from following Scott and Lou for the last year and a bit, plus the free month of Foundations I got last year.

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Just bought the floyd book on amazon. I like his thinking and his book 60 yards in was pretty good.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I've read Broadie's book.  As I understand it, Broadie's Strokes Gained evaluations form the basis for much of the current shot planning systems.  It was interesting, but he did spend a lot of the book using Strokes Gained to "prove" what a good tool  Strokes Gained is.  A bit of a circular discussion, to my mind.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've read Broadie's book.  As I understand it, Broadie's Strokes Gained evaluations form the basis for much of the current shot planning systems.  It was interesting, but he did spend a lot of the book using Strokes Gained to "prove" what a good tool  Strokes Gained is.  A bit of a circular discussion, to my mind.

Yeah - taking a quick look at it online it seemed really analytical. And, like you said, he was trying to prove his point.

I'm sure there's good stuff in there but there also seems to be some extra noise.

Hoping that the Floyd book is more practical.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

5 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Yeah - taking a quick look at it online it seemed really analytical. And, like you said, he was trying to prove his point.

I'm sure there's good stuff in there but there also seems to be some extra noise.

Hoping that the Floyd book is more practical.

I think it depends on what you're looking for.  Broadie will give you better insight into the "guts" of decision making, into WHY one choice is better than another.  Floyd is more likely to help you learn how to hit the shots.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

big time disagree with the first hole being irrelevant; esp if you aren't able to warm up prior to your round. 

I agree with you. Especially for our league nights - I don't have time to hit balls before the round, so which swing showed up is unknown until I hit the first ball. Fortunately #'s 1 and 10 are both short so a decent 3H off the tee usually leads to no more than a PW or GW depending on the wind.

I have little more than a passing familiarity of DECADE, but I feel like I get the gist of program from this place and following Scott on Twitter. I know I need to improve my decision-making. I probably try to pull off the low probability shot too often, but the only thing that has held me back on giving it a shot has been brought up by a few people in this thread: I might be better off spending the money on mechanics rather than the mental aspect. Looking at Arccos, my "Average Dispersion" with driver is 27 yards, with the extremes spanning nearly 160 yards over every recorded round. Unfortunately, that's not a typo. I can almost miss the planet if I'm not careful.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Have nothing new to add in here, sorry, but am very much enjoying the discussion!! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

One of the things Scott brings up that's part of Floyd's book on scoring is that the thing that really separates the top level pros is their ability to score even when they don't have their A game. I might be misremembering the quote, but I believe somewhere in Floyd's book, based on a video from Scott, Floyd says he could trade the physical ability he has with a less skilled amateur but if he kept the mental ability he has, he'd still beat the amateur because he has the mental knowhow of how to score.

That's not to say DECADE, or any other modern strategy system, will be THE ONLY thing that lowers your handicap, but having something like DECADE can expedite the improvement process. Scott mentioned it in the webinar, if your golf swing is inconsistent to the point where your shots are not doing what you intended them to do, and also they don't fit within the normal variance you'd expect, then you need to work on your golf swing.

And the other big thing he discussed is the quickest way to drop your handicap is bogey avoidance. How do you avoid bogeys? Stop trying to hit the hero shot, and hit the shot that gives you the highest percentage of getting down in the lowest amount of strokes. That's obviously much easier said than done and that's where the patience and discipline element of DECADE comes in. Be committed to hitting high percentage shots as much as you can, and your scores will drop. There's a lot more to it obviously, and I know it can be a hard choice to pick between something like DECADE or a lesson, especially when your golf swing could use the work, but maybe it's a compromise where instead of taking, for example, 4 lessons with a teaching pro, you take 3 and use the money for the 4th on Foundations.

Like I said, I'm not an expert in DECADE but I certainly do believe in it and when I do get the chance to play more consistently, I'll 100% be signing up for Foundations.

I agree with you. Especially for our league nights - I don't have time to hit balls before the round, so which swing showed up is unknown until I hit the first ball. Fortunately #'s 1 and 10 are both short so a decent 3H off the tee usually leads to no more than a PW or GW depending on the wind.
I have little more than a passing familiarity of DECADE, but I feel like I get the gist of program from this place and following Scott on Twitter. I know I need to improve my decision-making. I probably try to pull off the low probability shot too often, but the only thing that has held me back on giving it a shot has been brought up by a few people in this thread: I might be better off spending the money on mechanics rather than the mental aspect. Looking at Arccos, my "Average Dispersion" with driver is 27 yards, with the extremes spanning nearly 160 yards over every recorded round. Unfortunately, that's not a typo. I can almost miss the planet if I'm not careful.

And here's an example of DECADE in action on the PGA Tour this week.

This is a very interesting discussion, I need to really look into this more

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 4/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, StrokerAce said:

what would DECADE suggest from here?

This is the first hole.

if you want to carry the water - 200;

Do you go for the square (243) with a 35 yard wide landing area or play to the circle with a more generous landing area?
again...first hole of the day. 

(FWIW I drew this on Google Earth on the web. That is a bad a** app!)

image.png.745449f4f293b89cb37e4c11dcc4a4eb.png

Here's how I played the hole on Sunday.

I asked the starter who sits right behind the tee box for advice.
He said he pretty much never sees anyone try to hit driver or anything over the tree. That tree is 100 feet tall. If you hit driver you have to go through it somehow.
He said that the tee box lines most guys up to the right of the fairway and, it being the first swing of the day usually, guys aren't as loose and can't rotate their hips as well and end up fading it too far right and get blocked out---exactly what the 3 guys I played with did who all were over par!
He helped me with alignment and club selection. and it turned out well. Had about a 20 footer for birdie but was happy to start with a par.

image.png.8ad3790a73b7be6210ba0f836c09a3fd.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

30 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Here's how I played the hole on Sunday.

I asked the starter who sits right behind the tee box for advice.
He said he pretty much never sees anyone try to hit driver or anything over the tree. That tree is 100 feet tall. If you hit driver you have to go through it somehow.
He said that the tee box lines most guys up to the right of the fairway and, it being the first swing of the day usually, guys aren't as loose and can't rotate their hips as well and end up fading it too far right and get blocked out---exactly what the 3 guys I played with did who all were over par!
He helped me with alignment and club selection. and it turned out well. Had about a 20 footer for birdie but was happy to start with a par.

image.png.8ad3790a73b7be6210ba0f836c09a3fd.png

And I believe DECADE would have supported this decision. Your 5 iron left you essentially a wedge/short iron into the green. It also looks like your second shot didn't have to deal with the bunker in front of the green. Playing too far right off the tee would bring that into play in addition to possibly being blocked out.

I tested my strategy on No. 1 and No. 3 Saturday morning and it worked OK for the most part. Need to aim a little further right on No. 1. First swing of the day without warm-up and I hit a pretty good ball but was aimed a little too left. The fairway slopes down and right but I landed it past the slope and it ran out straight with the tree almost in the way. It led to a tough knockdown that I just didn't hit hard enough to get through the wet grass. Saved par after a good chip to two feet:

hole1.jpg.e1a34169892cbde36f8940ae87ea0fea.jpg

Hit a poor 2 hybrid on No. 3 and gave up a bit of distance because of that, but had good line to the bail out area I highlighted in my earlier post. Blocked the 4 hybrid a bit, but it ended up in the general spot I wanted. Still had a bit of a knockdown nine iron that hit just short of the green and checked up for a two-putt par.

no3.jpg.6748bf0fd6a22b901f26ac24f1d299b5.jpg

I'll have to keep tweaking strategies and aim lines as the season goes on.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 7/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, analyticandrew said:

I didn't see many posts talking about this app and strategy, and I am JUST getting started (week one!) so I thought I'd start this thread and inform/keep you up to date on my progress.

Disclaimer: if you're here looking for me to give away details of what's IN the app, I won't do that in detail because this is a paid app and I don't want to give away the farm. BUT I will talk about some of the things that the app is helping me with, etc.

So... Week one:

1. WTH is the decade app? https://decade.birdiefire.com/
    1. For me, it feels like an all encompassing course management, data collection, strategy and content catalog designed to truly help you improve your game. 
    2. What it is NOT is a competitor for Arccos and the like. There will be a good deal of manual data collection and entry for me, but understanding strokes gained and what are the most important things for me to practice and bring to the course.
  2. What am I learning?
    1. First of all, the things from "month one" (which I watched all the videos in the first week) have made an impact to my practice and approach already.
    2. Having a routine - I do not have one. And I would estimate that 90%+ of golfers out there do not go through the same routine for every shot. What does not having a routine do? It allows for outside talk to creep into your brain and you say things to yourself like "don't hit it in the water" instead of committing to a line, having a routine, and hitting it.
    3. Aim - this seems like such a basic idea, but I play a draw. And I for YEARS would still aim where I wanted the ball to go, NOT where I should aim... So if I want to end up at the 175 yard marker, I might need to aim 10 yards right of that in my practice and rounds to get where I truly need to go. 

None of this is secret sauce (like I said, I don't want to give that away), but in less than a week, I already had one of the best range sessions that I've ever had. I can see this translating to the course, but only time will tell!

I'm in the foundations program, have the app on the phone... does it go over target selection on greens somewhere? I like most of the stuff in it, but feel like I'm missing something.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:21 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

And the other big thing he discussed is the quickest way to drop your handicap is bogey avoidance. How do you avoid bogeys?

Scott was on a podcast (The Perfect Par with Carter Stroup) and talked about Tiger's goals for a round... I thought it was super interesting and a great takeaway for most golfers... Interestingly, none of the goals involve making birdie or better. It's also the foundation for what metrics he tracks on the scoring portion of the app.

https://golf.com/instruction/5-golden-scoring-rules-scott-fawcett/

1. Don't bogey par 5s... This actually overlaps with other ideas, but you should have a short iron into the green at worst on a par 5, thus there is no reason not to make par or better.

2. No Double Bogeys - Fear is the mind killer. Doubles are the round killer... This is one I'm still working on. More than anything, I think of this rule as "don't compound mistakes"... escape with bogey and move on!

3. No Three putts... Easier said than done. I've really improved my putting recently, and one of my key things when i'm more than 10 feet out is basically saying to myself "just have an easy 2 putt"... Have I three putt? Yes. Am I getting better? Hopefully.

4. No Bogeys with 9 iron or less in. This one is a little less quantifiable... but I think the key is: make sure you are focused from 150 yards in, and either put it on the green, or leave yourself and easy up and down.

5. Don't blow easy saves: On Scott's scoring app, this just asks for double chips... but I'm working on getting up and down more from around the green. It's not the flop shot to the tucked pin I'm worried about... it's about putting a bump and run gap wedge from 8 feet off the green to a makeable putt that I'm worried about... and then focusing on making sure I have more of those shots than the flop shots!

Scott has talked about Tiger's strategy and how basically Tiger was doing the DECADE math before DECADE existed. (Scott will also say he didn't invent any of this, he's just built a more formalized system to help golfers). I'm still learning the system, and haven't seen the green targeting stuff, but some parts of DECADE have already helped me a ton. 

I think, more than anything, one of the biggest keys is to not try to force scores. Don't chase birdies, don't force shots... The ball doesn't remember how many times you've hit it. Punching out of the trees is the smart play for the first shot in the trees but it's also the smart shot after you tried the dumb shot, hit a tree and the ball is back at your feet. 

Sub70 5i - DG S400

30 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

I'm in the foundations program, have the app on the phone... does it go over target selection on greens somewhere? I like most of the stuff in it, but feel like I'm missing something.

I don’t know how far you have gotten in the program but yes there is lots of coverage starting in month 3 videos.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

42 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t know how far you have gotten in the program but yes there is lots of coverage starting in month 3 videos.  

Ha, I only have Month 1 videos... Not sure why? I've watched them all... I'll harass Scott.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

15 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

Ha, I only have Month 1 videos... Not sure why? I've watched them all... I'll harass Scott.

I’m in the same boat as you but don’t think you should check with Scott yet...the point of foundations is to force you to slow down and digest it before driving on, so the app only releases the content to you a month at a time.  If you don’t have access to Month 2 once your first month of membership has passed, then time to check in with him.

If you’re like me...i haven’t been a member a full 2 weeks yet but I have watched all the Month 1 videos at least 3 times...you want to jump in and this first month only wets the appetite for more.  In the interim I’d recommend checking out the “Scott’s Desk” videos in the app...a LOT of great content there.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I’m in the same boat as you but don’t think you should check with Scott yet...the point of foundations is to force you to slow down and digest it before driving on, so the app only releases the content to you a month at a time.  If you don’t have access to Month 2 once your first month of membership has passed, then time to check in with him.

If you’re like me...i haven’t been a member a full 2 weeks yet but I have watched all the Month 1 videos at least 3 times...you want to jump in and this first month only wets the appetite for more.  In the interim I’d recommend checking out the “Scott’s Desk” videos in the app...a LOT of great content there.

I’ve been a member for longer than a month, but it’s a free membership... I’ll check out his stuff on the other tab.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

24 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

I’ve been a member for longer than a month, but it’s a free membership... I’ll check out his stuff on the other tab.

The free membership only accesses 1 month of content, additional videos will not unlock. The Practical Golf website is running a promo where 6 months of DECADE foundations is $75 instead of $99. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

The free membership only accesses 1 month of content, additional videos will not unlock. The Practical Golf website is running a promo where 6 months of DECADE foundations is $75 instead of $99. 

Ah, ironically I thought the free membership only lasted a month... thanks!

Sub70 5i - DG S400

2 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

Ah, ironically I thought the free membership only lasted a month... thanks!

It does only last a month.  You get no new content after the trial period but you can still access the first month  

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It does only last a month.  You get no new content after the trial period but you can still access the first month  

Thanks... I was actually confused why I still had access... I bought a groove it brush from practical golf, which gave me the original access. I had been planning on signing up once I was playing more.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

8 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

Thanks... I was actually confused why I still had access... I bought a groove it brush from practical golf, which gave me the original access. I had been planning on signing up once I was playing more.

If you are going to sign up don’t wait until you start playing lots of content that you will rewatch and will be beneficial before you play. 

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you are going to sign up don’t wait until you start playing lots of content that you will rewatch and will be beneficial before you play. 

I hear you. I will sign up for it next month as it starts a new fiscal quarter in my golf budget! (and by that I mean my wife hasn't noticed how much I've spent on golf this month, and I need to keep it quiet)

Sub70 5i - DG S400