TESTERS WANTED! ×

Decade golf app - my 6 month journey

analyticandrew

Alright, going to post a hole here and get everyone's thoughts.  I have a feeling Scott Fawcett gets inundated with "what about hole X at my home course" from everybody and their brother, and I really don't want to do that...he gave me a crazy good discount on a year of Foundations, so I'm not about to get greedy and ask for one-on-one treatment.  Fortunately for me, I have MGS!

This is #13 at Willow Lakes Golf Course, a Robert Trent Jones Sr design (the only RTJ military course in fact).  It's Offutt AFB's course, but outside of the base fence line open to public play.

Anyway, it's a par 5, 549 yards.  Forgive me for the crude lines on this image, but I wanted to pick your brains as soon as I could since I'm back out here this Thursday...I'll get my Google Earth Pro skills down later.  The blue line, essentially the widest point of the fairway between the water hazard right and cart path left, is 54 yards.  The red line, the end of the water, is 34 yards.  It's anywhere from a 280-300 yard drive to get past the water depending on where they set up the tees.

So here's my problem:  I typically play a cut off the tee, and you all know how Scott preaches one shot shape.  3 wood doesn't eliminate the hazard, so that's out.  In fact that water is still in play with 3 hybrid, so to truly eliminate the hazard I'm taking 4 iron off the tee on a par 5...no thanks, that's giving up a ton of distance and starts to bring bogey on a par 5 into play, another DECADE no-no.  To add to the fun, the wind is very often a left to right wind.

As you might expect, this whole is feast or famine.  I basically take driver and aim at the trees and cart path area left and trust it to cut, and when it works par is not hard, birdie a possibility.  However, overcut it just a bit and there's just not a lot of room for error...if it doesn't cut I'm chipping out sideways.

Any thoughts?

86868824_Inked13atWillow_LI.jpg.ec851302997597627aba500494117171.jpg

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

22 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Alright, going to post a hole here and get everyone's thoughts.  I have a feeling Scott Fawcett gets inundated with "what about hole X at my home course" from everybody and their brother, and I really don't want to do that...he gave me a crazy good discount on a year of Foundations, so I'm not about to get greedy and ask for one-on-one treatment.  Fortunately for me, I have MGS!

This is #13 at Willow Lakes Golf Course, a Robert Trent Jones Sr design (the only RTJ military course in fact).  It's Offutt AFB's course, but outside of the base fence line open to public play.

Anyway, it's a par 5, 549 yards.  Forgive me for the crude lines on this image, but I wanted to pick your brains as soon as I could since I'm back out here this Thursday...I'll get my Google Earth Pro skills down later.  The blue line, essentially the widest point of the fairway between the water hazard right and cart path left, is 54 yards.  The red line, the end of the water, is 34 yards.  It's anywhere from a 280-300 yard drive to get past the water depending on where they set up the tees.

So here's my problem:  I typically play a cut off the tee, and you all know how Scott preaches one shot shape.  3 wood doesn't eliminate the hazard, so that's out.  In fact that water is still in play with 3 hybrid, so to truly eliminate the hazard I'm taking 4 iron off the tee on a par 5...no thanks, that's giving up a ton of distance and starts to bring bogey on a par 5 into play, another DECADE no-no.  To add to the fun, the wind is very often a left to right wind.

As you might expect, this whole is feast or famine.  I basically take driver and aim at the trees and cart path area left and trust it to cut, and when it works par is not hard, birdie a possibility.  However, overcut it just a bit and there's just not a lot of room for error...if it doesn't cut I'm chipping out sideways.

Any thoughts?

Invest in some speed training so 300 is easy for you 🤣

You are playing it correctly with driver. There are definite times when it doesn't matter what you do the only strategy is to hit a good shot. Other option is to lay short of water and play 3 shot hole. My guess is the math will work out very close to the same between driver and 4 iron even with the hazard figured in. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Invest in some speed training so 300 is easy for you 🤣

You are playing it correctly with driver. There are definite times when it doesn't matter what you do the only strategy is to hit a good shot. Other option is to lay short of water and play 3 shot hole. My guess is the math will work out very close to the same between driver and 4 iron even with the hazard figured in. 

I've been speed training...I'm almost there, and on the rare occasion the whole is downwind it does make it a hell of a lot easier.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Any thoughts?

Looking at the course I see 64ish yards between Hazards.   Per decade,  I believe the target is basically between the lakes and about 10 yards right of the path.   It doesn't look like anything is terrible if you are left of path other than the tree and is looks open enough to get past that tree on a second shot if you are behind.   I think Scott would tell you hit driver.  

image.png.b61e97294f38dad109175195b887eb20.png

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Looking at the course I see 64ish yards between Hazards.   Per decade,  I believe the target is basically between the lakes and about 10 yards right of the path.   It doesn't look like anything is terrible if you are left of path other than the tree and is looks open enough to get past that tree on a second shot if you are behind.   I think Scott would tell you hit driver.  

image.png.b61e97294f38dad109175195b887eb20.png

Yeah, I see what you’re saying but that imagery doesn’t really reveal the nuance...where your line is if you go that far left of the cart path you run into very uneven lies and you’re blocked out by trees from really advancing the ball.  If you’re not coming out sideways you’re coming out 45 degrees at best.  Agree driver though.

I’ll take a picture Thursday.  

46 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, I see what you’re saying but that imagery doesn’t really reveal the nuance...where your line is if you go that far left of the cart path you run into very uneven lies and you’re blocked out by trees from really advancing the ball.  If you’re not coming out sideways you’re coming out 45 degrees at best.  Agree driver though.

Even with that additional information driver might be the right call as you probably won't always eliminate the possibility of being blocked out.  Looking at the driver decision chart it might be 3 wood to lay back from the water.   You will have to figure out your landing area and how much space you have. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I have a hole at my home course that just doesn't lend itself to decent decision making... sometimes we just have to do the best with what we have... I think the generic strategy for you would be SEND IT, take as much of the water out of play as possible, and if you are in the hazard, you at least get to drop forward. 

This assumes the second shot from a good drive puts you in position to get home in 2. If you can't regularly get near the green in two with driver, just lay back, hit long iron short, advance the ball as much as you can, and then try to stick a wedge close... 

As a side note, what are you guys using to measure distance in Maps? I have a chromebook and downloaded Maps, but it's not friendly to distance... do I need to download earth?

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

3 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

As a side note, what are you guys using to measure distance in Maps? I have a chromebook and downloaded Maps, but it's not friendly to distance... do I need to download earth?

i am using google earth pro.  Pretty much everyone recommends that for doing course analysis.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

i am using google earth pro.  Pretty much everyone recommends that for doing course analysis.

Apparently not available on my cheap chromebook... Guess I'll have to buy a real laptop!

Sub70 5i - DG S400

14 hours ago, myherobobhope said:

I have a hole at my home course that just doesn't lend itself to decent decision making... sometimes we just have to do the best with what we have... I think the generic strategy for you would be SEND IT, take as much of the water out of play as possible, and if you are in the hazard, you at least get to drop forward. 

This assumes the second shot from a good drive puts you in position to get home in 2. If you can't regularly get near the green in two with driver, just lay back, hit long iron short, advance the ball as much as you can, and then try to stick a wedge close... 

I use google maps, if you right click on the map a menu comes up with "Measure Distance". At least on Windows OS...

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

So I got out for my first round since signing up for DECADE.  I'm still struggling with my wedges and ball-striking in general, which I'm trying to be patient with since I haven't gotten much in the way of reps with lovely Nebraska weather.  81, which is not helping me lower the handicap, but add in 25 mph gusts and 40s at tee time and I'm not too upset.

On the negative side of things, I bogeyed 2 Par 5's, had 2 bogeys with only 150 left from the fairway on an approach, and had one double.  On the positive, no three putts and no "two-chip" holes.  (If you're not familiar, these are essentially the "Tiger 5" categories from Foundations that you track in the app.)

Ignoramus that I am, going into this round I was convinced that I'm mentally strong and I won't struggle with the patience and discipline part.  Then, on the very first hole, I didn't choose a good target for my tee shot and my fade ended up behind a couple trees in the right rough....it really wasn't a bad shot, it was just aimed poorly from the box.  Did I chip out and play for bogey?  Nope...I was over in the trees going "I think I have a window..."  And that's how I got my one double on the day, on the very first hole.

I think (knock on wood) that I've learned my lesson...we'll see when I'm out Thursday on the same course.  I also can honestly say I did a much better job of staying present with my "eyes on the horizon" instead of the negative self-talk.  My biggest challenge mentally is doing the quick math in my head figuring out what I need to score on the next few holes to keep it in the 70s rather than staying present and just playing the shot at hand.

Overall, I'm excited, I think DECADE might help me as much mentally as it will in course management.

17 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Any thoughts?

How many times have you played this course? Do you have scores you can reference from playing the hole each way (driver vs layup) and how many times you successfully reached in 2? Playing a cut with left to right wind, it comes down to your comfort level aiming left of the cart path as well as how well/straight you are hitting driver that day would figure into the equation. 

I'm not sure how often you hit driver over 300, but are you comfortable hitting a 250 club into that green with sand left and water right/back? Personally, I would hit something that can't reach the sand, favoring the left side and try to roll it up near the front of the green as your landing area on that shot is approx. 30 yards wide. Is that still doable hitting less than driver?

What cnosil mentions is correct, you should be measuring between the hazards unless any ball is 80-100% dead left of cart path. If that is the case, hitting driver into a 35 yard window isn't the play. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

On the negative side of things, I bogeyed 2 Par 5's, had 2 bogeys with only 150 left from the fairway on an approach, and had one double.  On the positive, no three putts and no "two-chip" holes.  (If you're not familiar, these are essentially the "Tiger 5" categories from Foundations that you track in the app.)

Funny enough, Scott's partner Lou just posted data on this... PGA tour players average 3 shots to get down from 160 in the fairway. For a scratch player, it is 90 yards in the fairway. Unless you are a + handicap, the pars from 150 will always be a frustration. At worst, I would split the distance (90/150) and amend that distance to 120 instead of 150 and enter it into the app that way. It seems a bit counter to "expectations" and I feel that is a stat geared towards elite players that use the app versus rec golfers. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

9 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

How many times have you played this course? Do you have scores you can reference from playing the hole each way (driver vs layup) and how many times you successfully reached in 2? Playing a cut with left to right wind, it comes down to your comfort level aiming left of the cart path as well as how well/straight you are hitting driver that day would figure into the equation. 

I'm not sure how often you hit driver over 300, but are you comfortable hitting a 250 club into that green with sand left and water right/back? Personally, I would hit something that can't reach the sand, favoring the left side and try to roll it up near the front of the green as your landing area on that shot is approx. 30 yards wide. Is that still doable hitting less than driver?

What cnosil mentions is correct, you should be measuring between the hazards unless any ball is 80-100% dead left of cart path. If that is the case, hitting driver into a 35 yard window isn't the play. 

On cnosil's point I'll take some pictures when I play Thursday and post here, but that area is more blocked out from advancing the ball than the overhead imagery might demonstrate.  That said, I have every expectation that I'll look at it with a newfound appreciation for the "better miss" that it might be.  

I play this course a lot, maybe 20-30 times a year, but I can honestly say I've only tried the layup twice, with 3 wood.  Once, I still found the water, and the second time I was in the fairway but I had no reasonable chance at going for it in two.

I have been able to get there in two on several occasions, but it's almost always on a day when the hole plays downwind.

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Talked to my assistant pro today, he's big into DECADE (former coach at Hanover)... we talked about the par 5 I hate, and decided hybrid, hybrid, wedge is the smart play... It's a dumb hole, but that's what I'm going with... Had 100 yards in today and made par.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Overall, I'm excited, I think DECADE might help me as much mentally as it will in course management.

The mental approach is a big part of decade.  Scott talks about it a lot and how it is hard to be completely committed and mentally focused.  His approach is to make golf emotionless and really understand expectations 

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The mental approach is a big part of decade.  Scott talks about it a lot and how it is hard to be completely committed and mentally focused.  His approach is to make golf emotionless and really understand expectations 

In essence DECADE is a mental system way more than a strategy system. The math is not new, it is just quantified now. The strategy is not new, top tour players have always played this way. There is nothing NEW per se it just allows our feeble minds to take all the information digest it and spit out an answer that separates fact from fiction, myth, feel etc...Puts your mind in a complete different state than it was before. 

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

In essence DECADE is a mental system way more than a strategy system. The math is not new, it is just quantified now. The strategy is not new, top tour players have always played this way. There is nothing NEW per se it just allows our feeble minds to take all the information digest it and spit out an answer that separates fact from fiction, myth, feel etc...Puts your mind in a complete different state than it was before. 

Yep to all of this.  Scott will say that it isn’t anything new, but he is the first to package it in digestible format.  

he is adding some good stuff though.  In the most recent update he added a player test to he’ll evaluate your game and some AR stuff to see distance/dispersion lines at your course/range.  I am eager to try them out. 

6 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

this is what appeals to me... pick the right target, know you have the right club and put a swing on the ball. Know your variables and if you put a 9 iron to 20 feet, know it’s not a bad outcome, hit two putts and move on.

my goal this season thus far has been to make easy pars. Put it on the green, have a good first putt and tap in for par. It’s been very helpful for expectation setting.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep to all of this.  Scott will say that it isn’t anything new, but he is the first to package it in digestible format.  

he is adding some good stuff though.  In the most recent update he added a player test to he’ll evaluate your game and some AR stuff to see distance/dispersion lines at your course/range.  I am eager to try them out. 

Sorry, where is this update?  Automatic update to Foundations?

BTW, if you follow him on social media you'll know Scott (and Lou Stagner to a lesser degree) got into a pretty intense back and forth on Twitter with Colt Knost and Graham DeLeat, the outcome of that being a wager between Scott and Colt to play in June at Dallas National.  

The argument was basically Colt saying you had to have a good angle from the right side of the fairway on a certain hole at Harbor Town, and Scott and Lou arguing not to play for angles because often the risk in chasing the angle isn't worth it.  As usual on social media, a lot of people talking past each other, but interesting to follow nevertheless.

20 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

BTW, if you follow him on social media you'll know Scott (and Lou Stagner to a lesser degree) got into a pretty intense back and forth on Twitter with Colt Knost and Graham DeLeat, the outcome of that being a wager between Scott and Colt to play in June at Dallas National.  

The argument was basically Colt saying you had to have a good angle from the right side of the fairway on a certain hole at Harbor Town, and Scott and Lou arguing not to play for angles because often the risk in chasing the angle isn't worth it.  As usual on social media, a lot of people talking past each other, but interesting to follow nevertheless.

The funny thing about this back and forth, they are both 100% right. 

If you hit it left, leaving a better angle you will score better. (Colt's argument) 

If you chase angles, your scores will be higher. (Scott's argument)

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If you hit it left, leaving a better angle you will score better. (Colt's argument) 

Ha, if you look at my twitter, I came out pro-Scott... Colt was arguing that chasing angles made sense (And that talent trumped analysis) for that hole... I think he came across as a jerk, but that was just my impression of him...

I've listened to ALOT of Scott talking, and have really warmed up to him... I used to dislike him and his attitude, but believe he both improved how he presented himself and I came to respect his point of view a little more... I get annoyed with his "I've done the math, you don't have to" at points, but do think his system is good.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Well the main thing that stood out to me is Colt didn’t seem to get it...Scott and Lou haven’t said angles don’t help, they just said angles aren’t worth the risk to chase.

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sorry, where is this update?  Automatic update to Foundations?

Yes.  In the app select tools and then combine.  If you pick one of the various combines there are tutorial videos. 

22 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

This thing is sweet for sure. As a data guy and lover of Power BI I just had to click on it and give it a look. This is a great tool to run some scenarios on those tricky holes where you are not sure what is the play.

I think it highlights even in the example one that even on this hole a 10 yard layup with similar dispersion for if you hit the rough or penalty is still better to hit driver, now just imagine if laying up is more like giving up 30 yards.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

16 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Well the main thing that stood out to me is Colt didn’t seem to get it...Scott and Lou haven’t said angles don’t help, they just said angles aren’t worth the risk to chase.

I thought Scott was challenging Graham to $1000/hole not Colt LOL. Looks like Colt was a decent player as well, but likely easier money. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

17 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I thought Scott was challenging Graham to $1000/hole not Colt LOL. Looks like Colt was a decent player as well, but likely easier money. 

Yeah, that’s how it started out when Scott issued the challenge but Graham didn’t reply, Colt did.

I heard Scott is in Colt’s Sirius XM show in about 5 minutes, which I don’t have...

21 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The strategy is not new, top tour players have always played this way

I'm not so sure this is right, the old idea of laying up to a comfortable yardage certainly isn't supported in any system informed by Strokes Gained concepts.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia