Decade golf app - my 6 month journey

16 minutes ago, Chillyinminny said:

As a  Minnesota golfer who maybes gets to golf through October, is it worth it to start the Decade app stuff now and have the last 3 months of stuff be winter work, off course?  Can you advance ahead in the app faster than a month at a time?

Part of  me saysget the app early and review the content in detail.  In foundations the content is released slowly so you have weeks to review the videos multiple times and develop a deep understanding.  As mentioned being able to play does help with the month 3-6 stats but you can do them without the app.  Also, there are some tools to help with practicing so you would have some limitations if you can actually get to a course or practice facility. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I own a copy of LSW and have a 6 month Decade membership. The dispersion circle concept is the same in Decade, except it is shown at the end of the cone for tee shots. The major difference is LSW doesn't talk about specific widths of your dispersion circle. The most specific numbers are the penalty buffers which are either 5/10 or 10/20 yard offsets from later hazards/OB. 

If you are not going to put the effort in to spend hours on a launch monitor with all or half the clubs in your bag to calculate your dispersion circles with each club, there will be less value in the specific approach strategy to Decade and the LSW approach will get you 80-90% of the way there in terms of strategy. A big aspect is learning where the center of your dispersion circle is relative to your aim: if your shots finish on average 10 yards right with long irons and 20 yards right with driver, do you know that number and are you taking it into account with your aim on each shot. If you slice driver 30 yards, you might need to aim at the edge of water on the left or within the "penalty buffer" from LSW. 

That said, there is tons of valuable info, videos, and tools in the Decade app and subscription from putting and range drills to mental game scorecards, etc. I would say the 6 month membership (which often gets discounted) provided more value at 3-5x costs of the LSW book. Even seeing the practice stations that Scott uses to maintain his skill level as a +5 handicap is helpful to improving your game. I've read multiple books Scott has suggested as well as subscribed to the Waking Up meditation app on his recommendation. 

That makes sense. Thank you for your explanation! I think that I’ll give decade a go next season! Hopefully I will be able to get a launch monitor this Christmas. I’m looking forward to the new Garmin and Bushnell options to be released! I may reserve a bay at PGATSS on a rainy day until then. 

• Like 1

OK all of you DECADE golf subscribers, how does one determine their shot pattern if they don't have access to a launch monitor?  Do you go out to a deserted hole and hit 20 balls with each club or do you use a more generic pattern as an assumption?  Just curious.

I'm currently looking at the free month at the moment and considering doing the Foundation course (or maybe even just jump to the Elite).  On that note, anyone that has completed the full 6 months with Foundation, did you renew the Foundation subscription or did you upgrade to Elite or maybe after 6 months, just let it expire?  In retrospect, do you think going straight to Elite is a better option for any reason (yes, I know Foundation slows it down so it's not as overwhelming -- but beyond that?)

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

OK all of you DECADE golf subscribers, how does one determine their shot pattern if they don't have access to a launch monitor?  Do you go out to a deserted hole and hit 20 balls with each club or do you use a more generic pattern as an assumption?  Just curious.

I'm currently looking at the free month at the moment and considering doing the Foundation course (or maybe even just jump to the Elite).  On that note, anyone that has completed the full 6 months with Foundation, did you renew the Foundation subscription or did you upgrade to Elite or maybe after 6 months, just let it expire?  In retrospect, do you think going straight to Elite is a better option for any reason (yes, I know Foundation slows it down so it's not as overwhelming -- but beyond that?)

I did the free month and then the 6 month foundation.   I let it expire after the 6 months.  While he continually adds to the app,  I felt 6 months was good for what I wanted at the current time.  I didn't do elite because I don't believe the additional details are what I need.  If I signed up again it would be to learn whatever new features he has added.

As for the dispersion patterns.  You don't need to really figure out your personal dispersion as DECADE is a strategy that is kind of one size fits all.  Understanding your dispersion is really only needed when dealing with penalty hazards.   What I would look at is the combines which helps you determine your  tendencies so you can determine if you may need to make some of those types of decisions.   He talks about this in the latest episode of no putts given.  If you use the bigger pattern and move you aim to avoid the hazard you probably bring other trouble into play which could make it more penal that hitting into the hazard that you are avoiding. 

• Like 5

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

currently on the free foundations and looking to upgrade to either elite or full foundations. Can anyone comment of if / where in the program generic shot patterns (dispersions) are discussed?

In much of Scotts content he alludes to geberic shot patterns and that roughly 1 college players 7iron dispersion is similiar to anothers so little benefit in getting on trackman with each club.

Anyone have some insight? In the interim I have used what I can find from trackman data and extrapolated that over my clubs for a fair baseline to work from…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ewald Beukes said:

Hi all,

currently on the free foundations and looking to upgrade to either elite or full foundations. Can anyone comment of if / where in the program generic shot patterns (dispersions) are discussed?

In much of Scotts content he alludes to geberic shot patterns and that roughly 1 college players 7iron dispersion is similiar to anothers so little benefit in getting on trackman with each club.

Anyone have some insight? In the interim I have used what I can find from trackman data and extrapolated that over my clubs for a fair baseline to work from…

How much detail do you want to track.   Elite contains all the same videos of foundations, you just get them all at once.  What elite adds is a significant amount of data tracking and weakness identification.   

the shot patterns are discussed in about month 3 of the foundations program.  You would use something like trackman to learn your tendencies and not you dispersion pattern.  It may be bigger than a PGA player or elite college player but fundamentally adjusting to the larger pattern you have doesn’t really serve a purpose to lower scores 

• Like 3

Juuuuust now getting caught up on all the posts... 🙂

Played in a Mid-Am qualifier last week and WOW it is so much easier to implement DECADE strategy when you have pin sheets! Quick example was #13. Pin sheet had the flag 6 from the left. My playing partner's drive was basically right next to mine. He fired at the flag and pulled it into rough left. I did the math and aimed right of the pin (~7y). Incidentally, I hit it exactly where I was aimed and had about 19 feet to the flag. The other guy was able to chop out and scramble for par and I happened to make the putt. Walking off the green he says, "are you a DECADE guy? You played that really well. I knew I shouldn't have fired at the flag and I did anyways."

Yeah, yeah, I know, you can still eyeball it without pin sheets, but in terms of calculating dispersion left/right/front/back, there are definitely some assumptions about what data you have and you definitely need to do your homework like he recommends!

• Like 8

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

. Walking off the green he says, "are you a DECADE guy? You played that really well. I knew I shouldn't have fired at the flag and I did anyways."

Yeah, yeah, I know, you can still eyeball it without pin sheets, but in terms of calculating dispersion left/right/front/back, there are definitely some assumptions about what data you have and you definitely need to do your homework like he recommends!

So his mental scorecard wouldn't have been perfect on that hole.   Having the discipline to stick to the plan is key to playing well.   

Was listening to one of Scotts podcasts and he indicated that pin sheets are extremely helpful but gave some pointers that if you do google green mapping and establish landmarks you can figure things out without them.  

• Like 6