Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Decade golf app - my 6 month journey

analyticandrew

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts ( @cnosil) on renewing a Foundations membership.  

I pay for the Grint, am thinking about getting the Tour Temp training app, am slightly in the doghouse for my recent purchase of the Stack System, and will likely be buying an annual green fee pass at my new duty location in July.  So, I don't want to shell out for another app or subscription needlessly...but you know me, I will if it will help.

More to the point, am I being ignorant or naive to think that once you know the DECADE math and the principles of it, you kind of know it and the cost/benefit equation of a renewal is a bit harder to swallow?  I could upgrade to Elite, but that's $200 and I'm a Dad with a full-time job...not sure I'm the target audience for Elite.  

More succinctly, has anyone renewed their Foundations membership and are you satisfied and glad you did...you're gaining new insights and knowledge that's helping?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts ( @cnosil) on renewing a Foundations membership.  

I pay for the Grint, am thinking about getting the Tour Temp training app, am slightly in the doghouse for my recent purchase of the Stack System, and will likely be buying an annual green fee pass at my new duty location in July.  So, I don't want to shell out for another app or subscription needlessly...but you know me, I will if it will help.

More to the point, am I being ignorant or naive to think that once you know the DECADE math and the principles of it, you kind of know it and the cost/benefit equation of a renewal is a bit harder to swallow?  I could upgrade to Elite, but that's $200 and I'm a Dad with a full-time job...not sure I'm the target audience for Elite.  

More succinctly, has anyone renewed their Foundations membership and are you satisfied and glad you did...you're gaining new insights and knowledge that's helping?

I have only done one 6 month subscription.   I haven’t mastered those basic skills and foundation so I am working on improving the Tiger 5.   I know Scott is adding new content, but I don’t believe I need that content now,   I think the elite is more detailed than I need at this time.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

I have only done one 6 month subscription.   I haven’t mastered those basic skills and foundation so I am working on improving the Tiger 5.   I know Scott is adding new content, but I don’t believe I need that content now,   I think the elite is more detailed than I need at this time.  

Kind of where my head is at.  Thanks.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

• 5 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Kind of where my head is at.  Thanks.

As someone looking at getting started w this, I’m curious if you - or anyone - pulled the trigger on Elite?  

Other than getting all the videos all at once, and 24 yardage books, I don’t fully understand the difference. His web page isn’t the best at making the sale - no screenshots of what you are missing out on…

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

8 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

As someone looking at getting started w this, I’m curious if you - or anyone - pulled the trigger on Elite?  

Other than getting all the videos all at once, and 24 yardage books, I don’t fully understand the difference. His web page isn’t the best at making the sale - no screenshots of what you are missing out on…

There is shot by shot tracking similar to what you get with arccos and some analysis of where you need to make improvements, number of yardage books.   this site gives the overview of the differences. 

https://birdiefire.com/shop/decade/

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I did pull the trigger on Elite, but it was one of my silliest golf purchases, not because of the program itself but because of my schedule.  I’ve been moving, dealing with a wedding, a funeral…lots of life stuff happening, so I haven’t really gotten immersed in Elite and how I can use it.  I should have just waited before buying it.

Now that I’m close to settled in I intend to truly sink my teeth into it over the course of the next few months and will update my unofficial review thread when I do.  Sorry I can’t be more helpful, yet.

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

There is shot by shot tracking similar to what you get with arccos and some analysis of where you need to make improvements, number of yardage books.   this site gives the overview of the differences. 

https://birdiefire.com/shop/decade/

I know that's what it says... but... I've also noticed they've changed a lot of things.  I wish they offered some screen shots.

I know what I think GPS entry should mean... but that doesn't mean that its the same.

What I'd really love to know is does it help pick the target locations?  Similar to Across giving you a recommended club based on the distance, your history and your chosen target; does Decade help pick the target based on your location, and the corresponding Decade baseline number and where you tell it the flag is?  You'd think that would be simple enough - and take some of the math work out of your head... 

Everything I've read I've found it interesting and thoughtful on the process.  He and John Sherman are influencing my late summer run...  But his web interfaces could use some work.  He's a golf guy, not a google engineer - so that's not meant as a criticism - just an observation. 

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sorry I can’t be more helpful, yet.

No worries.  Just thought I would ask. 

It may be worth the cash just to get access to all the videos and the full system.  I've gone through the first month and am thirsty for more.  Waiting until January when there is a foot of snow on the ground for the full six month program is just too long a wait for me - won't be able to put all aspects into play before the season ends. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

14 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I am an elite member. I don't think you are missing out on anything but I am not sure as I was member before he introduced foundations. My understanding is once you are through the 6 months of foundations you have full access to everything. If you would like to speed up the process it could be worth it. The elite does have the driving target tool.1322274034_Screenshot2022-08-05113926.jpg.895efb56b519921bf12d0f9700dcd794.jpg

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I am an elite member. I don't think you are missing out on anything but I am not sure as I was member before he introduced foundations. My understanding is once you are through the 6 months of foundations you have full access to everything. If you would like to speed up the process it could be worth it. The elite does have the driving target tool.

Hey, thanks for the response - so on the app on you iPhone or android - do you enter shots on the course as you make them? Thats what I think of for GPS entry...

Does it help with targets on the green?  Via GPS on the app?  Or are  you on your own for that?

1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Hey, thanks for the response - so on the app on you iPhone or android - do you enter shots on the course as you make them? Thats what I think of for GPS entry...

Does it help with targets on the green?  Via GPS on the app?  Or are  you on your own for that?

No true GPS like we would consider with a garmin or arccos. He refer to GPS entry as the ability to pick the gps points and enter from the exact locations. I don't enter using the app during the round it was not efficient enough IMO. I created an excel with the data points that were required and used that. 

642761883_OpenGOLF.png.5951dc5ec294db1ebdc7e7d2e82c5e0e.png

1674168499_Screenshot2022-08-05at11_49_29AM.png.61f24b58d27088dcae381f6759cd27e9.png

Here is screenshot of "GPS" entry. Once you enter this data you are able to pinpoint where you were on the course for each shot. 

image.png.9645685e793d1d6813c3677b9d969345.png

10 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

No it won't help with targets on green.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

16 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

No true GPS like we would consider with a garmin or arccos. He refer to GPS entry as the ability to pick the gps points and enter from the exact locations. I don't enter using the app during the round it was not efficient enough IMO. I created an excel with the data points that were required and used that. 

Thanks for sharing those screen shots and the explanation.  That will help set my expectations accordingly. 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, AC11 said:

Hi  I am a 1  handicap golfer (aged 58) looking to move to the next level and compete in national Competitions.  Should i do the foundations course 6 months and then the Elite or jump straight into the Elite ? 

If you are looking to do national competitions I would say do elite as it provides more stat tracking and benefits than foundations.    You can go to the website and compare  the features provided.   You could also reach out to Scott directly; I always found him very responsive to questions.