TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game Improvement Irons?

So I am in the market to upgrade my irons and I have a few questions for all of you out there. 

I went to a Roger Dunn and tested out some irons. The one that felt pretty good out of the brands was the TaylorMade SIM Max, but there is the SIM Max OS. The OS is more of a game improvement iron. Like the M6 is to the M5. 
I shoot around 100 and am wanting to know, should I get the regular SIM Max irons, these are not as forgiving but will allow me to get better feedback, or should I go with the SIM Max OS and get the extra assistance but less feedback?  

My next goal is to break 90 now, and am not sure what path to go down when purchasing my next set. What are the pro's and con's for getting game improvement irons over smaller faced irons?

Any advice will be great, especially from people that have been in this situation. Thanks!

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Have you had an iron fitting?  If not, I would highly recommend you do. There are so many great options on the market but to really maximize your spend and optimize results, get fit.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Have you had an iron fitting?  If not, I would highly recommend you do. There are so many great options on the market but to really maximize your spend and optimize results, get fit.

I tested a few different irons out, but I am 6 feet tall with a normal swing speed. So the regular and standard usually work for me. Once I have decided what head to use, I will get the specs fitted. I just want to know, how much my game will be effected with the GI irons over standard irons. As I improve do I want to have more feel or just let the iron do the work with a bigger sweet spot?

5 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

I tested a few different irons out, but I am 6 feet tall with a normal swing speed. So the regular and standard usually work for me. Once I have decided what head to use, I will get the specs fitted. I just want to know, how much my game will be effected with the GI irons over standard irons. As I improve do I want to have more feel or just let the iron do the work with a bigger sweet spot?

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I found the game improvement irons greatly increased my dispersion. Using a blade/muscle back/cavity back reduced the spread but the miss hits are bad. if you are shooting in the 100s you should be fine with GI irons. and like the above poster said if you can get fit hit as many different irons as possible and see what works best for your swing. I would also suggest lessons before you buy new clubs. Lessons will go a lot longer to get those scores down. you can play the best clubs in the world but if your swing is inconsistent lessons are worth way more than new clubs.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

5 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

Check out my journey/experience moving from PE2's (yesteryears GI iron) and into my current 410's.  What irons do you currently play (perhaps I missed in in your post)?  If they are older technology clubs, I will bet you'll see improvements.  The forum members have been experiencing some real "surprises" in iron fitting results.  I mention this because what we think is a generally good fit may or may not be. That's why I am now (not so much before joining MGS) high on getting a competent fitting.  Simply based on your scoring, a GI category iron would seem the right path. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Check out my journey/experience moving from PE2's (yesteryears GI iron) and into my current 410's.  What irons do you currently play (perhaps I missed in in your post)?  If they are older technology clubs, I will bet you'll see improvements.  The forum members have been experiencing some real "surprises" in iron fitting results.  I mention this because what we think is a generally good fit may or may not be. That's why I am now (not so much before joining MGS) high on getting a competent fitting.  Simply based on your scoring, a GI category iron would seem the right path. 

Thank you for sharing. I currently play a Strata set only a few years old. I started with the basic Strata golf set and have slowly upgraded different parts of my bag. I am consistent now on everything except my irons. I was suspecting GI would be the way to go, just wasn't too sure how much it actually hides in your real game. But if it's going to get my score down I will take it. I will be going for a fitting, I did that with my driver and 3 wood and it was a game changer, the testing I did the other day with the irons was a good start to eliminate some types. 

Appreciate the feedback and the links to the other topics!

In the end it's all about what looks and feels right for you. I've posted on this a few times already but here is the broken record again. I play game improvement irons even though I currently have a low handicap. I get enough feed back and can still work the ball when needed. I want to get the ball up in the air and hit it straight. I appreciate the forgiveness on a not so perfect shot. 

See if you can demo a 7 iron from each set and go to the range and you will know what works better for you.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 minute ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

In the end it's all about what looks and feels right for you. I've posted on this a few times already but here is the broken record again. I play game improvement irons even though I currently have a low handicap. I get enough feed back and can still work the ball when needed. I want to get the ball up in the air and hit it straight. I appreciate the forgiveness on a not so perfect shot. 

See if you can demo a 7 iron from each set and go to the range and you will know what works better for you.

Haha thank you. No broken records here, I appreciate the feedback. I tested the 7 irons of a few the other day and the TaylorMade SIM Max were the best results, but I hadn't tested the OS version. That's what prompted my question. Now I can go back and just test irons that are specifically GI Irons. Looks like the way to go.

Thanks again

I tried tested many different bands of irons before I bought my Callaway Steelhead Pro's. When I say many, I went to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, and Cobra Performance centres.

I have to admit that I found very little difference between GI and CB except that it was in some cases almost impossible to shape shots with GI's. Mind you the other thing that I struggle with is looking down a a thick top line which GI irons have.

All I can say is test as many as possible and then decide which one feels the best, then look at consistency. Simple reason, as you improve your consistency will improve and if a club feels good then you feel confident when standing over it.

Another option is to go with a less expensive GI and then in 4-5 years trade them in on a set of CB's.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

1 hour ago, Nateyeight said:

So I am in the market to upgrade my irons and I have a few questions for all of you out there. 

I went to a Roger Dunn and tested out some irons. The one that felt pretty good out of the brands was the TaylorMade SIM Max, but there is the SIM Max OS. The OS is more of a game improvement iron. Like the M6 is to the M5. 
I shoot around 100 and am wanting to know, should I get the regular SIM Max irons, these are not as forgiving but will allow me to get better feedback, or should I go with the SIM Max OS and get the extra assistance but less feedback?  

My next goal is to break 90 now, and am not sure what path to go down when purchasing my next set. What are the pro's and con's for getting game improvement irons over smaller faced irons?

Any advice will be great, especially from people that have been in this situation. Thanks!

So basically the SIM Max OS has 1. taller face 2. stronger lofts 3. wider sole. Some say the two feel much different, about the same to me... Not my brand but I know they are good quality and know people that game them.

Both felt good at demo its basically IMO which one fits your needs (i.e. distance, ball flight/height, misses on the iron face). 

Regardless, all things equal (you like the look and they fit your ability/swing) either of the TM sets are an upgrade to the Strata's. Would just do a lot of testing. Good luck

16 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

The Sim Max irons are the M6 upgrade, the OS are a super improvement and offer a bigger club face. 

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

18 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

Haha thank you. No broken records here, I appreciate the feedback. I tested the 7 irons of a few the other day and the TaylorMade SIM Max were the best results, but I hadn't tested the OS version. That's what prompted my question. Now I can go back and just test irons that are specifically GI Irons. Looks like the way to go.

Thanks again

So lots of opinions on this, but since you are asking between those two set specifically, I'll throw out the usual disclaimer about fitting--but before I do, fitting is much more than length and lie specs. The Head is usually the first place they start, then go to shaft then two "specs" as you referred to them...but I digress 🙂

I think if you are making solid enough contact on most every iron shot, then the Sim Max would be the way to go for me.   I shoot in mostly in the 90's with a rare trip to the 100's and even rarer to the 80's and I generally play the irons in the Max range.  For example i have the Titleist T300 not the T400--although they were tempting....but I digress again 🙂

The wider sole on the OS could be the determining factor, again this is where a fitter would help immensely.  But if you are able to watch your divot patters on the range and see are you taking shallow or deep divots. If they are on the deeper side, then you may want the wider sole of the OS, if they are thin or normal then the Max will most likely be fine with your turf interaction.

I'm not a big one on "growing into" an iron or "I'll play a more demanding iron as it will make me a better ball striker"   I say get what you can hit reasonably well and that you like the looks of, that is important, don't let anyone tell you it's not.   You have to like or maybe feel comfortable when you set that club down and preparing to swing it. 

That's longer and more advice than I had planned on, but hope it's helpful.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

13 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So lots of opinions on this, but since you are asking between those two set specifically, I'll throw out the usual disclaimer about fitting--but before I do, fitting is much more than length and lie specs. The Head is usually the first place they start, then go to shaft then two "specs" as you referred to them...but I digress 🙂

I think if you are making solid enough contact on most every iron shot, then the Sim Max would be the way to go for me.   I shoot in mostly in the 90's with a rare trip to the 100's and even rarer to the 80's and I generally play the irons in the Max range.  For example i have the Titleist T300 not the T400--although they were tempting....but I digress again 🙂

The wider sole on the OS could be the determining factor, again this is where a fitter would help immensely.  But if you are able to watch your divot patters on the range and see are you taking shallow or deep divots. If they are on the deeper side, then you may want the wider sole of the OS, if they are thin or normal then the Max will most likely be fine with your turf interaction.

I'm not a big one on "growing into" an iron or "I'll play a more demanding iron as it will make me a better ball striker"   I say get what you can hit reasonably well and that you like the looks of, that is important, don't let anyone tell you it's not.   You have to like or maybe feel comfortable when you set that club down and preparing to swing it. 

That's longer and more advice than I had planned on, but hope it's helpful.

Thank you! That all makes sense. I am so keen to get back to the testing environment again, at least now, with everyone's feedback, I will have the right questions to ask and be able to find out what suits my swing the best. I see that the club should match me, not the other way around.