TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your Missed Putts Tendency

fixyurdivot

Missed Putt Tendency  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your missed putts?

• come up short of the hole
    • runs past the hole

At last weeks PNW Spy Meetup, I was suffering a horrible case of the shorts.  I was kidding with the group that I was honestly trying to get the ball past the hole on some putts, and simply could not will myself to do so...so aggravating.  Thinking back, I feel I come up short way more often than long. That got me to wondering what the general tendency is amongst us... do you tend to putt short or long when they do not go in the hole?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just had this conversation with my buddy who I have played with for 20 years. We are the direct opposite, he is always short, and I hole more putts when I putt 2-3 feet past the hole. It’s a fine balance for me, my speed & line matches best when I am more aggressive but that also leads to more 3 putt opportunities. But on the flip side I don’t make as many if I am not. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Just had this conversation with my buddy who I have played with for 20 years. We are the direct opposite, he is always short, and I hole more putts when I putt 2-3 feet past the hole. It’s a fine balance for me, my speed & line matches best when I am more aggressive but that also leads to more 3 putt opportunities. But on the flip side I don’t make as many if I am not. 

Well, I suppose the old adage "never up, never in" makes sense.  They simply cannot go in the hole if they do not get to it.  

I miss both short and long,  but the ones that are short are the ones I remember the most.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I probably miss the most when I don't have enough speed to get the right distance past the hole.  The putts get there, the line looks good for a long time, but they break right across the front of the hole.  One thing I know, every putt that doesn't at least get to the hole doesn't go in.  Some of the ones that make it far enough do drop.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It’s interesting, I find that I’m usually hitting it too hard from inside 20 feet, and too light from outside 20 feet. What I’ve done to get my speed to match up a little on putts of all length better is adjusting my focal point during my pre-shot routine.  For shorter putts I look at the front of the hole and for longer putts, I visualize the ball hitting the back of the hole. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I feel like when my speed is right I miss because I'll pull it or my lines wrong. If my line is correct and I miss, it feels like it's usually because of a conservative pace that misses low

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Speed is king. WAY more than line is. So this resonates with me. I used to try and make putts. Reality is that even the best putters in the world don’t try to make putts. They try and get the right speed. And do it every time. Sometimes the line is perfect and the hole gets in the way.

I miss left and right and short and long. If I can GIR it, and my speed is right, I’m hopefully not three putting. Doesn’t always go that well for me. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

26 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

Speed is king. WAY more than line is. So this resonates with me. I used to try and make putts. Reality is that even the best putters in the world don’t try to make putts. They try and get the right speed. And do it every time. Sometimes the line is perfect and the hole gets in the way.

I miss left and right and short and long. If I can GIR it, and my speed is right, I’m hopefully not three putting. Doesn’t always go that well for me. 🙂

I don't agree, speed is just one of the components in making a putt.  Yes, speed is probably the most important part of avoiding 3-putts, but to MAKE a putt you need to get the read right, the speed to match the read, and hit the intended line.  And I'd bet that most of the best players are trying to make every single putt, even if they don't EXPECT to make every one.  They understand the statistics, they're not mad if they miss a 30-footer, but they're trying to make them

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't agree, speed is just one of the components in making a putt.  Yes, speed is probably the most important part of avoiding 3-putts, but to MAKE a putt you need to get the read right, the speed to match the read, and hit the intended line.  And I'd bet that most of the best players are trying to make every single putt, even if they don't EXPECT to make every one.  They understand the statistics, they're not mad if they miss a 30-footer, but they're trying to make them

They maybe trying to make every putt, but their focus is speed almost every single time. Speed outweighs line by a good margin. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

They understand the statistics, they're not mad if they miss a 30-footer, but they're trying to make them

I agree that most are trying to make every putt (lags in particular).  I think the difference between them and scratch amateurs is the confidence in those 2-4 foot comeback putts.  In my case, I think running it past the hole, and having to make the save putt, subconsciously gets into my head.  This past weekend's shorty-itis was a bit of an outlier but I still would estimate I'm short 3:1 or more.

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

At last weeks PNW Spy Meetup, I was suffering a horrible case of the shorts.  I was kidding with the group that I was honestly trying to get the ball past the hole on some putts, and simply could not will myself to do so...so aggravating.  Thinking back, I feel I come up short way more often than long. That got me to wondering what the general tendency is amongst us... do you tend to putt short or long when they do not go in the hole?

Well, you weren't the only one, and I thought you putted very well!!  At Indian Canyon in Spokane the greens were a little slow, but depending where you were on the green, there was some serious uphill surrounding terrain.  We were all short.  At Circling Raven the speed was a little slower than I was used to at my course, and the greens had more undulations than our greens.  I left a bunch short, just because of green unfamiliarity.  

When I play at my home course, I rarely leave a putt short unless I am playing late in the day.  By short I mean woefully short or more than 2 feet, including what I call lag putts.  The Poa Annua grass grows enough during the day and it gets bumpy, and I will leave some putts short.  I generally play early in the morning after the greens are freshly mown, and they are the quickest.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree that most are trying to make every putt (lags in particular).  I think the difference between them and scratch amateurs is the confidence in those 2-4 foot comeback putts.  In my case, I think running it past the hole, and having to make the save putt, subconsciously gets into my head.  This past weekend's shorty-itis was a bit of an outlier but I still would estimate I'm short 3:1 or more.

You’re making my point for me (maybe? Lol ) :-)

Many of the best putters don’t have 4 feet coming back. Tony Finau averages 1’10” for his finishing putt (through the travelers) and leads the tour (along with Tway, Stricker and Bubba). The guy who is LAST on tour in approach putt performance? Brooks Koepka... but he’s only 2’6”. Even DeChambeau, who many pundits consider “average” only has 2’ left this year.

So if you get the speed right, even if your line is off 50% of the time, you won’t have 4’ finishers. You might have 3’ or even better.

Pace or speed determines line. A putt that breaks 3 cups if hit very softly “dying” at the hole might only break 2 cups if it were in the “back of the cup” with more speed (finishing 18” past the cup if you missed) and might only break 1 cup with yet more pace (finishing 3’+ past the cup if you missed it).

Here’s a great video explaining some of my thoughts.

I’m no expert btw! Always learning! But I love a good, respectful debate too!

9 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

You’re making my point for me (maybe? Lol ) 🙂

Many of the best putters don’t have 4 feet coming back. Tony Finau averages 1’10” for his finishing putt (through the travelers) and leads the tour (along with Tway, Stricker and Bubba). The guy who is LAST on tour in approach putt performance? Brooks Koepka... but he’s only 2’6”. Even DeChambeau, who many pundits consider “average” only has 2’ left this year.

So if you get the speed right, even if your line is off 50% of the time, you won’t have 4’ finishers. You might have 3’ or even better.

Pace or speed determines line. A putt that breaks 3 cups if hit very softly “dying” at the hole might only break 2 cups if it were in the “back of the cup” with more speed (finishing 18” past the cup if you missed) and might only break 1 cup with yet more pace (finishing 3’+ past the cup if you missed it).

Here’s a great video explaining some of my thoughts.

I’m no expert btw! Always learning! But I love a good, respectful debate too!

I did mention "them (pros) and scratch amateurs"... where, on average, even their misses are better 😬

46 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Well, you weren't the only one, and I thought you putted very well!!

Thanks Kenny, that's definitely a compliment coming from you.  Not mentioned in this discussion is that I frequently want to kick myself in the rear after missing a putt and not having taken the time to look at it (terrain, break, slope) more closely.  I have been making more of an effort to do so but sometimes feel conscious of taking too much time. 

1 hour ago, analyticandrew said:

You’re making my point for me (maybe? Lol ) 🙂

Phil Kenyon does great stuff.  The only problem with talking about averages in this context is that if I roll a bunch of putts to inside a foot it skews the average and I also don't know the first putt distance.   

Here is another video that presents some interesting information;  go to 50:46 into the video and he will describe an experiment that was done by a pro with a 20' putt.  His shot pattern for the 20' putt was over 6 feet deep!    As a player 3 feet and in should become pretty much 100% which means all you have to do is roll the ball into a 6' diameter circle.  Obviously you don't want to hit a four foot putt 3 feet past the hole,  but as we move out from the hole, don't be afraid to roll the ball 3 feet past the hole. and 3' short isn't necessarily bad.   The video also has a distance control drill that kinds of lays out the leave distance expectations from various distances.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Phil Kenyon does great stuff.  The only problem with talking about averages in this context is that if I roll a bunch of putts to inside a foot it skews the average and I also don't know the first putt distance.   
Here is another video that presents some interesting information;  go to 50:46 into the video and he will describe an experiment that was done by a pro with a 20' putt.  His shot pattern for the 20' putt was over 6 feet deep!    As a player 3 feet and in should become pretty much 100% which means all you have to do is roll the ball into a 6' diameter circle.  Obviously you don't want to hit a four foot putt 3 feet past the hole,  but as we move out from the hole, don't be afraid to roll the ball 3 feet past the hole. and 3' short isn't necessarily bad.   The video also has a distance control drill that kinds of lays out the leave distance expectations from various distances.  

[/url]  

I’m a decade subscriber! Woo! Thinking about not making putts and working on speed has been life changing for me and while I’m just getting started with decade, I’ve been subscribed “speed/distance-focused” for this whole season.

• 3 weeks later...

Short and left. I think we miss hit putter far more frequently than we’d care to admit leading to leaving putts short.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Short and left. I think we miss hit putter far more frequently than we’d care to admit leading to leaving putts short.

It will depend on the golfer. My short putts are less mishit and more stroke length/tempo related. You could consider that a mishit but when I think mishit I think face location.

I've been trying to ignore my putting lately. I had 4 missed putts my last round (2 for birdie 2 to save par) that were perfectly on line and were inches from falling. I know if I thought (just hit it harder) it would have run past the hole by 5 feet.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

On 7/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, fixyurdivot said:

This year over the winter practicing has helped alot, I still come up short often (seems to be the right line just short, whether I am scared to blow by it or just didnt see a subtle uphill on it), but I am definitely missing pro side and going past the hole more often this year which is a positive (cant get the ball in the hole if you dont get it there right??)

Putting at one time was the worst part of my game but is slowly becoming one of the better facets which is positive.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 7/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, DaveP043 said:

I agree. There are multiple ways to attack a hole when putting with a variation of break and speed. big left to right break from 3' I can either try to slam it home straight at it, or take the break and side door it. 

There is no "one" way to putt the ball, all in your mind in how you want to attack it really.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

After an extended session on EXPUTT last night (313 putts) my tendency is to miss more to the right.   The only exception on that was putts of less than 10 feet my misses were slightly left.  They weren't big misses to the right.  The mode in EXPUTT were dead straight putts, and my misses to the right averaged I think less than 6 inches.   So just slightly leaving the face open a bit, path was either slightly in to out or square. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

After an extended session on EXPUTT last night (313 putts) my tendency is to miss more to the right.   The only exception on that was putts of less than 10 feet my misses were slightly left.  They weren't big misses to the right.  The mode in EXPUTT were dead straight putts, and my misses to the right averaged I think less than 6 inches.   So just slightly leaving the face open a bit, path was either slightly in to out or square. 

If for nothing else I think the EXPUTT would help me in this matter. I know I am short and would guess 50/50 left and right? But not sure....I think the EXPUTT on that alone could help me

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

17 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

If for nothing else I think the EXPUTT would help me in this matter. I know I am short and would guess 50/50 left and right? But not sure....I think the EXPUTT on that alone could help me

It was definitely an eye opener.  There is so much you can learn about your stroke and tendencies in the practice mode, and know exactly you need to work on, or show the stats to an instructor and give him some good info to tell you about your stroke and even if you have the correct style putter that matches your club and face  path. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’d have to say short. If the greens are slow I struggle to hit it hard enough to get past the hole. There’s one course near me that I quite literally aim 2 feet past the cup and still come up short sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

It was definitely an eye opener.  There is so much you can learn about your stroke and tendencies in the practice mode, and know exactly you need to work on, or show the stats to an instructor and give him some good info to tell you about your stroke and even if you have the correct style putter that matches your club and face  path. 

I have some comments about this topic that will be posted in the ExPutt testing thread sometime this week when I post my thoughts about practice mode.

It will depend on the golfer. My short putts are less mishit and more stroke length/tempo related. You could consider that a mishit but when I think mishit I think face location.

Agreed and I was thinking in terms of longer putts.

My tendency on short putts is definitely to get too far away from the ball and pull them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I tend to leave it short more inside 6 feet...I think I fall in love with line and try to die the ball in the hole too much....I can’t tell you how many putts I leave “in the jaws” just a roll or two short.

Outside of 10 feet I am almost always long because I focus on a spot 12 inches past the cup.

The good thing is by rolling the ball past the cup on longer putts I rarely 3 putt.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson