TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Setup  

254 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges (of any sort) do you have in your bag?

• 5 or more
  2. 2. How many of your wedges match your iron set?

• Just PW
    • PW and GW/AW
    • 3 or more
  3. 3. How many different brands of clubs are represented in your wedges?

• 5 or more

Been on a bit of an EBay buying spree the last week.  Picked up a couple of new old stock Vokey wedges. An SM3 54-11 and a SM6 60-04 L grind.  Those will go in the bag to replace the worn SM7 54 & 60 10S wedges that are in there now.

More excited though about a set of Corey Paul wedge heads that I splurged for and won the bid on! Looking forward to building a set of wedges with KBS Tour V wedge shafts, BB & F Scarlet and Silver ferrules, and Superstroke Traxion Tour Midsize grips. They will be the first forged wedge heads for me.  Lofts are 52, 56 & 60.

My wedge tinkering begins.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Been on a bit of an EBay buying spree the last week.  Picked up a couple of new old stock Vokey wedges. An SM3 54-11 and a SM6 60-04 L grind.  Those will go in the bag to replace the worn SM7 54 & 60 10S wedges that are in there now.
More excited though about a set of Corey Paul wedge heads that I splurged for and won the bid on! Looking forward to building a set of wedges with KBS Tour V wedge shafts, BB & F Scarlet and Silver ferrules, and Superstroke Traxion Tour Midsize grips. They will be the first forged wedge heads for me.  Lofts are 52, 56 & 60.

My wedge tinkering begins.

Man golf clubs are just so much fun to hoard lol!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

• 2 weeks later...

There's no option offered for NO wedges that match the numbered irons.

I've had set configurations like that in the past.

Matching wedge sets came out just before the lofts changed.

The PW that matched your irons was around 50º back then when the 60º lob wedge was introduced.

They'd offer a 50-55-60 set or something like that, and you chose whether to match your PW to your irons or to  your other wedges.

And even now, you can still do that if you want to

because they offer very strong lofted aftermarket wedges for those who might be interested in them.

Off topic, I haven't thought about golf for a long time, but remembered the forum and thought I'd check it out..

I played for more than fifty years before I had to give up the game.

I'm not sure that I'd even take it up now.

It's not that I didn't love the game because I really did.

I loved to play golf for a long time, and only physical problems took me away from it.

But in today's world, youngsters who are the most like I was  back then when I was their age

seem to have no interest in golf at all.  They don't even seem to like people who do play very much.  It's a socio-political thing as much as anything.

I wonder if I would have been been lured into it as I was circa 1960-61.

No way of ever knowing, I guess, and it  doesn't really  matter, anyway. 

I played when I could.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

As I wait for my 56* cobra MIM wedge to come in I’ve fallen back in love with my TM MG 58! Some bunker practice has got me second guessing myself 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Just picked up a copy of Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible.  About halfway through the book so far.  He makes a pretty convincing case for having more clubs on the short side of the bag to deal with shots under 100 yards.  His Putting Bible has really helped me.
His different swing method for wedges is probably something that I’ve informally been doing for a while. For the rest of the year I’m going to work on this to really tackle the in between yardages.  

Having access to club data through tools like Arccos, Shotscope or launch monitors is eye opening for improving one’s game.

Yes he does until you discover that you actually have very few “shots” between 100 and 30 yards during a round. Then his stuff is pointless. It takes a ton a practice time away from more commonly hit and thus important shots and often adds a useless club to the bag.

If the data shows that you have a lots of shots per round in that range, that’s a different story. Assuming of course those shots aren’t to get up and down to save par or bogey in which case a person would need to invest more time with the tee ball.

For my game wedges are all about pitching and chipping - I might have one or two full shots with them in a round.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think when dealing with the Pelz stuff that its important to understand that he specifically markets himself as a short-game and putting guru, so he's always going to contend that short game and putting are the most important.  Otherwise, he'd be pushing people away from his own business.  Not to say he doesn't have many good ideas, he certainly does, but he exaggerates the importance of short game.

Back to the topic, I do get to hit a fair number of short shots, so I specifically accept a large-ish gap between 180 and 200, but have pretty consistent 10-yard full-swing gaps down to about 90 yards.  I've considered getting something to go 190 or so, and reworking my wedges to be able to drop a club, but that doesn't fit the course I play as well.  I've also practiced a bit (not tons, not doing the "clock" system) for shorter wedge shots.  Its not hard to learn to hit a 60 yard shot, or a 40 yard, or whatever, with only a small amount of practice.  And you WILL get it closer, on average, than if you choose to lay back to a full-swing yardage.  Shot selection is really another topic, so I won't hammer that idea here.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I think when dealing with the Pelz stuff that its important to understand that he specifically markets himself as a short-game and putting guru, so he's always going to contend that short game and putting are the most important.  Otherwise, he'd be pushing people away from his own business.  Not to say he doesn't have many good ideas, he certainly does, but he exaggerates the importance of short game.

Back to the topic, I do get to hit a fair number of short shots, so I specifically accept a large-ish gap between 180 and 200, but have pretty consistent 10-yard full-swing gaps down to about 90 yards.  I've considered getting something to go 190 or so, and reworking my wedges to be able to drop a club, but that doesn't fit the course I play as well.  I've also practiced a bit (not tons, not doing the "clock" system) for shorter wedge shots.  Its not hard to learn to hit a 60 yard shot, or a 40 yard, or whatever, with only a small amount of practice.  And you WILL get it closer, on average, than if you choose to lay back to a full-swing yardage.  Shot selection is really another topic, so I won't hammer that idea here.

Fully agreed on all counts - my problem is that my game and the courses that I play it on don't allow me to get closer. 🙂 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes he does until you discover that you actually have very few “shots” between 100 and 30 yards during a round. Then his stuff is pointless. It takes a ton a practice time away from more commonly hit and thus important shots and often adds a useless club to the bag.

If the data shows that you have a lots of shots per round in that range, that’s a different story. Assuming of course those shots aren’t to get up and down to save par or bogey in which case a person would need to invest more time with the tee ball.

For my game wedges are all about pitching and chipping - I might have one or two full shots with them in a round.

That’s what I was discovering, I had clubs for yardages that I never took a full swing at. My lob wedge goes 85 yards on a full swing, but I almost never would use it I would 3/4 my 54 or gap wedge and be more accurate. So if you can learn to manipulate one wedge for around the green and then just use the gap wedge for your fuller shots I think that might be the simplest approach. 🤷🏻‍♂️ just saying, I also I’ve been laying up to more yardages that suit my best yardage from the fairway instead of trying to bomb it as close as possible and recover from a possible terrible lie. So essentially the anti-Bryson.
I’ve heard Justin Thomas talk a lot about practicing with wedges too. He has some really insightful things to say on it.

Just curious, in light of the recent blog post from T, how many guys use a PW that is matched to their set and how many don't - it's not just the number of wedges but the type.  Ironically I just put an extra wedge into my set but it's more to get my 60 back in and take the 3 wood out so that I'm not tempted to hit it.  I've reclaimed enough yardage that 5 wood now goes 195-210 off the tee which was what I had 3 wood in for anyway.

When I put the D7's in for a trial spin I will play with them for a couple of months at least (unless something goes radically wrong) and plan to use even the GW from that set - I hit all of my shots around the green with the 52 or the 58 - that will now be the 52 or the 60, unless I'm hitting a bump and run shot.  Currently that is with 8 iron but we shall see once the new set is in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Just curious, in light of the recent blog post from T, how many guys use a PW that is matched to their set and how many don't - it's not just the number of wedges but the type.  Ironically I just put an extra wedge into my set but it's more to get my 60 back in and take the 3 wood out so that I'm not tempted to hit it.  I've reclaimed enough yardage that 5 wood now goes 195-210 off the tee which was what I had 3 wood in for anyway.

When I put the D7's in for a trial spin I will play with them for a couple of months at least (unless something goes radically wrong) and plan to use even the GW from that set - I hit all of my shots around the green with the 52 or the 58 - that will now be the 52 or the 60, unless I'm hitting a bump and run shot.  Currently that is with 8 iron but we shall see once the new set is in.

I use set through the gap; all of which I will use a full swing. I use my 54 and 58 for a full swing but often feel like the 58 is a waste since I seldom use it.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I use set through the gap; all of which I will use a full swing. I use my 54 and 58 for a full swing but often feel like the 58 is a waste since I seldom use it.

Is the 54 your sand iron then?  Do you go with the differing bounce on each - one high bounce the other low bounce? 

I've done that in the past - didn't worry about it after switching to the V soles but thought it was a good strategy when I employed it. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My wedge setup is the stock set PW (46°) and Vokey 50°, 54°, 58°. My 58° gets the most play of the four wedges. This is my 90-yard and in club with the 50°/54° mostly relegated to greenside chips where I need a little more run and shots 90-125 yards, which those distances do not seem to happen often. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Is the 54 your sand iron then?  Do you go with the differing bounce on each - one high bounce the other low bounce? 
I've done that in the past - didn't worry about it after switching to the V soles but thought it was a good strategy when I employed it. 

54 is sand and high bounce. My 58 is lower bounce, but I don’t have a lot of issues only using the high bounce wedge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I saw the thing about using the matched pitching wedge.  For me, I love the Ping PW that's part of the set and I l ike the range I hit it, so I'm definitely keeping that.  Aside from the PW, the rest are Vokeys although I'm going to play around with some different brands, like maybe the new Cleveland.

:ping-small:  G410+  9° Stiff
:cobra-small:  F9 3W
:ping-small:  i210 4-Pw Stiff
:ping-small:  3H
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60
:ping-small: Sigma
:srixon-small: Zstar

I have had that thought. I have 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges and I'm not a fan of my 58. So its getting replaced by 3 wood (haven't played 3 wood in awhile). I'm thinking of changing the 50 and 54 to 52 and 56 respectively. I just hope the gapping is correct. We shall see. 

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)

8 hours ago, SoonRC said:

I have had that thought. I have 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges and I'm not a fan of my 58. So its getting replaced by 3 wood (haven't played 3 wood in awhile). I'm thinking of changing the 50 and 54 to 52 and 56 respectively. I just hope the gapping is correct. We shall see. 

What's your pitching wedge or does your set have pitching wedge, gap wedge - if so what's the gap wedge?  How about that 3 wood?  Why did it come out?  When it was in did it cause more problems than it solved (that would be the case for many golfers).  If you added a wood might a 4 wood or 5 wood (which any more really is a 4 wood) make more sense? 

Also do you use some sort of tracking system for your game?  Sometimes what we perceive isn't what's actually going on. 

Not trying to be a pain.  Those are exactly the questions that I constantly ask myself.  The tracking system made it crystal clear in regards to what club I should chip with and what club (3 wood) needed to come out of the bag for good.  I was all of 5 yards longer with it than 5 wood and I bet if I had something to track carry that I carry the 5 wood longer than a carry the 3 wood.  I'm certainly way more consistent with it.

Good luck and welcome

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I used to game a 46* PW, 52* GW and 56* SW......then somewhere along the way, the PW became 43*, GW 48* Sw 54* and LW 58*. I use full and 1/2 shots on all, depending on the Lie and distance. The LW is my sand wedge while the 54* is my short chips. On the other end, I adjusted the loft on my 3W from 14.5* to 16* and my 5W from 18* to 20*. I did not lose any distance and now get them in the fairway. As for the Wedges, both the 48* and 54* Wedges match my irons. With the same shaft so I get similar feel from them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 hours ago, revkev said:

What's your pitching wedge or does your set have pitching wedge, gap wedge - if so what's the gap wedge?  How about that 3 wood?  Why did it come out?  When it was in did it cause more problems than it solved (that would be the case for many golfers).  If you added a wood might a 4 wood or 5 wood (which any more really is a 4 wood) make more sense? 

Also do you use some sort of tracking system for your game?  Sometimes what we perceive isn't what's actually going on. 

Not trying to be a pain.  Those are exactly the questions that I constantly ask myself.  The tracking system made it crystal clear in regards to what club I should chip with and what club (3 wood) needed to come out of the bag for good.  I was all of 5 yards longer with it than 5 wood and I bet if I had something to track carry that I carry the 5 wood longer than a carry the 3 wood.  I'm certainly way more consistent with it.

Good luck and welcome

Great questions...

So my pitching wedge is part of my set (46 degree; very traditional lofts on my iron set). I love that club, I feel like can hit it anywhere between 100 to 125 yards (I don't hit it far but I'm pretty damn straight). My current wedge setup is 50, 54, 58 all Cleveland CG15. They are great wedges, and were originally bought to have a club to hit full down to 75 yards. At that time I was playing a 3 wood that was the wrong flex and it was just taking space in the bag so I thought I would replace it with a wedge. Over time I have realized that I rarely hit my gap and lob wedges. Despite many range sessions that focused on hitting and getting the feel of the wedges, I have only found comfort in the 54. The others, as a result, the 50 and 58 look like new clubs...just facts. When I have 100 yard shot, I should be hitting the 50 (and yes it goes that distance, actually 105), but I feel more in control hitting a flighted PW.

So as I am getting back into golf hard this summer, I felt it was time to go back to 3 wood to have a club to dial back and hit fairways should the driver be going sideways. 3 wood will more that likely be a tee club only, but it will give me options from the tee, to better manage courses. I was ok without a 3 wood for so long because I have a 2 iron hybrid that I absolutely crush. I looked at 4 and 5 woods and felt that the gapping was off (though I thought really hard about 4 wood).

As a feel player, I have not in the past used a tracking system for my game. But it was recommended that I use the Taylormade myRoundPro App, so I have started using that. It does not have enough data in it to tell me anything yet (unfortunately, though I work in education and students and faculty have the summer off, I don't and this is actually the busiest time of year for me, go figure...) but it will get in there and I can make more precise decisions about what's in the bag.

I think I answered everything...definitely appreciate the questions!

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me think. Why do I have a 58* wedge when I can easily open up a for flops and turn it down for a numb and run? I’m starting wonder why an amateur needs a 54 and 58 wedge when I can’t devote the time to practice with either. I’m thinking of going with just a 56 and then next up would be my 50 gap. I also play one length and love it. The standard length wedges are so short too that I never feel confident when a full shot. Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought? Or am I just crazy? Also anyone tried out the new cobra MIM wedge?
I’ll hang up and listen.

Do you usually play the same course? Do you like to manufacture shots? I carry 5 wedges because I want to make full swings from 105-165 yards out: I don’t want to have to think about making a 75% swing from 115 because I only have a 50 degree and a 56. I also love having all those wedges for chips and sand shots of various lengths: I just take another club and make the same swing I do with my 60 to add more length/rollout. I’ve heard that the one length wedges are the hardest part of adjusting to a one length set. So like most posters have already commented, set your bag up to suit your strengths: there’s no point carrying clubs that are a liability...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

My PW and GW are both from my set, and I'm very comfortable hitting full shots with them. I'm also getting quite comfortable hitting full shots with my 54* CBX wedge, which is the main reason I bought it. My final wedge is a Cleveland Smart Sole S, which replaced my 58* which I rarely, and I mean rarely, used. So of my 4 wedges, 2 are set, one is considered a GI (non blade) wedge, and the last is a one trick pony.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

After thinking about this some more, I have come to the conclusion that the lofts of my irons are causing my gap issues. I have Titleist AP3 clubs which I love. Was looking at the loft specs and my 9 iron is 39 degrees, Pitching wedge is 43 degrees and gap wedge is 48 degrees. So really my nine iron is more like a traditional 8 iron and the pitching wedge is more like a nine and the Gap wedge more like a pitching wedge.  My Sand wedge is a Vokey SM7 54 and I have a Vokey SM7 60 degree lob wedge.  Sharpened the grooves on the 54 & 60 wedges a couple of months ago, but it is probably time to replace them soon anyways.

When I replace them I will most likely get a set with 52, 56 & 60.  At that time I will drop my 5 iron which is really more like a 4 iron anyways.

At some point when it is time for the AP3s to be replaced I might look at a more traditional iron set.

I have the same clubs and couldn’t figure out why there was a 30 yard gap between the AP3 PW and my 52 degree! Even bought a 50 degree and that only closed the gap to 24 yards: all before I just looked up the loft and discovered it was 43 degrees 🤦🏾‍♂️

So now I have 43, 48, 52, 56, 60 vokeys: the 56 & 60 have a lot of bounce and the most forgiving grind(k) the other 3 are for full shots and have less bounce.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

This is exactly why I roll my eyes at people who say you shouldn't look at loft in irons because it doesn't matter.  I disagree because you have to match your wedges to your irons, or else you might have a huge gap between your PW or AW and the rest of your wedges.

Even if you consider the AW in a set to be the gap wedge, if you go from a 46 or 50 degree AW to a traditional 56 degree wedge, that's a huge gap.  Nowdays, youre almost forced into carrying 2 gap wedges, unless the AW in your set is around 50 degrees and you go with a 54/58 setup.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Well, I bit the bullet and dropped the 5 iron out of the bag for now and replaced the 54 & 60 Vokey SM7 wedges with a set of Corey Paul 52, 56, & 60 wedge heads that I built with KBS Tour V wedge shafts and SuperStroke Traxion tour grips.  Put Prosoft inserts in the shafts too and BB&F ferrules. 

Extremely happy with the changes!  My gapping issue on the low end of the bag has been eliminated.  The touch around the greens is awesome.  Still figuring out all of my full swing distances & partial swing distances, but so far they have really worked well.

Yesterday for example, playing with the Men’s Group, I tied my low round.  Hit 11 of 18 GIR and got up and down 5 of 7 on the ones I missed.  

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

On 8/6/2020 at 2:43 PM, Micah T said:

I have the same clubs and couldn’t figure out why there was a 30 yard gap between the AP3 PW and my 52 degree! Even bought a 50 degree and that only closed the gap to 24 yards: all before I just looked up the loft and discovered it was 43 degrees 🤦🏾‍♂️

So now I have 43, 48, 52, 56, 60 comets: the 56 & 60 have a lot of bounce and the most forgiving grind(k) the other 3 are for full shots and have less bounce.

I love that set up, but I lack distance off the tee and I'm really able to use my 56 and 49 degree wedges for any shot around the green.  Just yesterday I was able to hit a high flop with the 56* over a bunker to a tight pin and stop it close for a birdie put, where as I like having options at the top to make a full swing with a 2 hybrid or 4 iron to get the right trajectory I need into the green.  Probably just different ways to get the same result.  I like your set up and hopefully as I improve my ball striking I can move to a set up more like yours. I also play one length irons and that may be where I need to look for a change. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool thread. 

I would play a different brand of every club in my bag, different shaft, different grip if it helped me score.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg