Wedge Setup  

253 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges (of any sort) do you have in your bag?

• 5 or more
  2. 2. How many of your wedges match your iron set?

• Just PW
    • PW and GW/AW
    • 3 or more
  3. 3. How many different brands of clubs are represented in your wedges?

• 5 or more

Our Sponsors

I have only carried a 56 but was thinking about when I get fit for my next set of irons that I go ahead and get fit for wedges too. Was thinking either 54/58 or 56/60 whatever fit my gaps better. Now I'm questioning whether I need a lob wedge or just keep with the 56. Top of my bag is fine- Dr, 3 wood, 3 Hybrid. Biggest gap is between my 3 hybrid and 3 wood but I rarely face a distance between those clubs on the course.
What do you all typically use out of the sand? 

I honesty don’t know, I think firm. I’m in Oregon so it rains a lot and the sand doesn’t seem fluffy. I have only ever played in Hawaii and Iowa so I don’t have much else to compare too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 9* Driver

:cobra-small: F9 14.5* 3W

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid

:Hogan: UiHi 19*  *Official Tester*

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW

:cobra-small: MIM 50*, 55*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 34"

:taylormade-small: TP5x pix or yellow

-or-

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party on a great thread.  I think it's great that you are making decisions on what clubs to bag based upon the data instead of so called "conventional" wisdom.  The r

I don't think there is anything wrong with this approach as long as you can hit your desired distances.  

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me t

On 7/8/2020 at 6:32 PM, scooterhd2 said:

This is really up to the individual. I personally dont make alot of full shots with a SW or LW so I would not care about gaps too much. 

I basically never take a full swing shot with my 56 or 60, too much bounce on the 56 and too risky (thin) with the 60. I never use my PW (45*) for less than a full swing. So my GW (50*) is my only full and partial swing wedge, and most used. My 60 is used least, almost only when greenside over a trap short sided (highly satisfying when I pull it off, prob only about half the time...). Not a recommendation, just my 2 cents. Mine are all Mizuno, 2 matching iron set.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
On 7/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, twyatt700 said:

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me think. Why do I have a 58* wedge when I can easily open up a for flops and turn it down for a numb and run? I’m starting wonder why an amateur needs a 54 and 58 wedge when I can’t devote the time to practice with either. I’m thinking of going with just a 56 and then next up would be my 50 gap. I also play one length and love it. The standard length wedges are so short too that I never feel confident when a full shot. Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought? Or am I just crazy? Also anyone tried out the new cobra MIM wedge?

I’ll hang up and listen.

I have had the same experience with paring down clubs in the bag.  Had a beautiful set of Adams wedges 52* Gap, 56* Sand and 60* Lob.  Only hit them one season well, after that more thin and chunk than lofted and that's no useful tool around a green.  Replaced them with hybrid wedges (Lovett 59* and Worx sand 56*), inexpensive enough on special discount to try them out and I don't have any problem thumping the big sole into the turf or sand for beautiful short lofted shots that do end up on the green.  And the difference in loft is useful for me with my "old man" swing.

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: foster orphans (OnCore for PuttUp Review)   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

I basically never take a full swing shot with my 56 or 60, too much bounce on the 56 and too risky (thin) with the 60. I never use my PW for less than a full swing. So my GW is my only full and partial swing wedge, and most used. My 60 is used least, almost only when greenside over a trap short sided (highly satisfying when I pull it off, prob only about half the time...). Not a recommendation, just my 2 cents. Mine are all Mizuno, 2 matching iron set.

Same here, I never take the full swing on the 54 and 58, that was my thinking, just go with a 56 and learn than one well!

• Like 1

-or-

After thinking about this some more, I have come to the conclusion that the lofts of my irons are causing my gap issues. I have Titleist AP3 clubs which I love. Was looking at the loft specs and my 9 iron is 39 degrees, Pitching wedge is 43 degrees and gap wedge is 48 degrees. So really my nine iron is more like a traditional 8 iron and the pitching wedge is more like a nine and the Gap wedge more like a pitching wedge.  My Sand wedge is a Vokey SM7 54 and I have a Vokey SM7 60 degree lob wedge.  Sharpened the grooves on the 54 & 60 wedges a couple of months ago, but it is probably time to replace them soon anyways.

When I replace them I will most likely get a set with 52, 56 & 60.  At that time I will drop my 5 iron which is really more like a 4 iron anyways.

At some point when it is time for the AP3s to be replaced I might look at a more traditional iron set.

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

Has anyone been able to get their hands on the SL Cobra MIM Black wedges?  I’ve had mine on order from my courses pro-shop since June 16. After an hour on hold my pro was told it’d be 8-10 business days before they shipped (I wanted them one inch short to match my set and a MMC Grip...). Well, that was 18 business days ago... 

I had a horrible experience w Cobra last summer trying to get my irons (again, wanted them an inch short of standard - the temerity of me...) and it took months. 

has anyone actually put the MIM black wedges in their bag?  And no one from the MGS Cobra challenge counts... if you were given  my set I don’t want to know about it...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Has anyone been able to get their hands on the SL Cobra MIM Black wedges?  I’ve had mine on order from my courses pro-shop since June 16. After an hour on hold my pro was told it’d be 8-10 business days before they shipped (I wanted them one inch short to match my set and a MMC Grip...). Well, that was 18 business days ago... 

I had a horrible experience w Cobra last summer trying to get my irons (again, wanted them an inch short of standard - the temerity of me...) and it took months. 

has anyone actually put the MIM black wedges in their bag?  And no one from the MGS Cobra challenge counts... if you were given  my set I don’t want to know about it...

If Cobra can deliver in less than a month I would be shocked. Most companies were still taking orders during lockdown and have to process all them. With supply chain issues and most places not at 100% capacity I expect everything will have significant delays.

i was on another brands website and few products with no customization were scheduled to ship in August or sept depending on the shaft

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:54 PM, twyatt700 said:

Same here, I never take the full swing on the 54 and 58, that was my thinking, just go with a 56 and learn than one well!

I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party on a great thread.  I think it's great that you are making decisions on what clubs to bag based upon the data instead of so called "conventional" wisdom.  The reason why someone would game lots of wedges with even gaps (4 or 5 degrees) is because that's what Dave Pelz told us we should do around 20 years ago.  According to Pelz's method we should learn three different wedge swings and that way we will have all of our gaps covered.  It's sounds logically, the guys a rocket scientist, who would question him?

My point and yours now too is that what does it matter if I have all of my yardage gaps covered when I rarely have a shot under 80 yards?  I have lots of chip shots, I have lots of shots from 150-175 but I rarely have one of those all dialed in yardage shots that Pelz would have me spend so much time perfecting in an actual round of golf.  My tracking system proves it!  It  also proves that I'm significantly better when I chip with my 52 degree wedge than my 56 and also that my gapping is perfect with a 5 wood, 7 wood, 9 wood instead of the 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid that I used to bag.  Even though I was pretty good with my 60 degree wedge I ultimately dropped the 56 and put a 58 in so that I go 48,52,58 with my wedges.  My chipping has improved because it's eliminated the mental second guessing that was going on (do I use 52 or 56 here) and I do all of my practicing with fewer clubs now.  Even though I've thrown 3 wood in the bag it's just a place holder, I haven't hit it in months.  I'm seriously considering picking up a cheap very high bounce sand wedge as my 14th clubs as my sand play is so so. 

At any rate each of us should look at what we need to game for our own game.  Beyond a doubt we will end up with differing set configurations because we have different swings, different skill sets and play in differing conditions.  Conventional wisdom needs to be backed by real world data. 

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party on a great thread.  I think it's great that you are making decisions on what clubs to bag based upon the data instead of so called "conventional" wisdom.  The reason why someone would game lots of wedges with even gaps (4 or 5 degrees) is because that's what Dave Pelz told us we should do around 20 years ago.  According to Pelz's method we should learn three different wedge swings and that way we will have all of our gaps covered.  It's sounds logically, the guys a rocket scientist, who would question him?

My point and yours now too is that what does it matter if I have all of my yardage gaps covered when I rarely have a shot under 80 yards?  I have lots of chip shots, I have lots of shots from 150-175 but I rarely have one of those all dialed in yardage shots that Pelz would have me spend so much time perfecting in an actual round of golf.  My tracking system proves it!  It  also proves that I'm significantly better when I chip with my 52 degree wedge than my 56 and also that my gapping is perfect with a 5 wood, 7 wood, 9 wood instead of the 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid that I used to bag.  Even though I was pretty good with my 60 degree wedge I ultimately dropped the 56 and put a 58 in so that I go 48,52,58 with my wedges.  My chipping has improved because it's eliminated the mental second guessing that was going on (do I use 52 or 56 here) and I do all of my practicing with fewer clubs now.  Even though I've thrown 3 wood in the bag it's just a place holder, I haven't hit it in months.  I'm seriously considering picking up a cheap very high bounce sand wedge as my 14th clubs as my sand play is so so. 

At any rate each of us should look at what we need to game for our own game.  Beyond a doubt we will end up with differing set configurations because we have different swings, different skill sets and play in differing conditions.  Conventional wisdom needs to be backed by real world data. 

amen. I went to a fitter yesterday and they seemed put off that I wanted to make these changes. The head guy even was giving me crap that I wanted to split my iron shafts with graphite and steel (I play one length) and lengthen the 4,5,6,7 a half inch. Once they actually helped me try that set up the data showed better gapping and ball flight. I’ve always wondered why more people in the golf industry are so stuck in their conventional “wisdom”.
I got to try the 56 MIM too and was able to make every shot with it, even flop it easily. I’m sold on dropping the lob and just go with the 56.

• Like 3

-or-

I just ordered two clubs from cobra via my fitting shop so I’ll let you know in 2-3 weeks if I get them.

• Like 1

-or-

Just picked up a copy of Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible.  About halfway through the book so far.  He makes a pretty convincing case for having more clubs on the short side of the bag to deal with shots under 100 yards.  His Putting Bible has really helped me.

His different swing method for wedges is probably something that I’ve informally been doing for a while. For the rest of the year I’m going to work on this to really tackle the in between yardages.  

Having access to club data through tools like Arccos, Shotscope or launch monitors is eye opening for improving one’s game.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Bridgestone Tour BRX

Just picked up a copy of Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible.  About halfway through the book so far.  He makes a pretty convincing case for having more clubs on the short side of the bag to deal with shots under 100 yards.  His Putting Bible has really helped me.
His different swing method for wedges is probably something that I’ve informally been doing for a while. For the rest of the year I’m going to work on this to really tackle the in between yardages.  

Having access to club data through tools like Arccos, Shotscope or launch monitors is eye opening for improving one’s game.

I agree, I thinking I’ll add a 60 degree again later, but for now I want to try to master using just a 56. I still have a PW and gap in the bag. I’ll try this for a while and see if my approach improves any. Cause right now it’s really bad!

-or-

Been on a bit of an EBay buying spree the last week.  Picked up a couple of new old stock Vokey wedges. An SM3 54-11 and a SM6 60-04 L grind.  Those will go in the bag to replace the worn SM7 54 & 60 10S wedges that are in there now.

More excited though about a set of Corey Paul wedge heads that I splurged for and won the bid on! Looking forward to building a set of wedges with KBS Tour V wedge shafts, BB & F Scarlet and Silver ferrules, and Superstroke Traxion Tour Midsize grips. They will be the first forged wedge heads for me.  Lofts are 52, 56 & 60.

My wedge tinkering begins.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Bridgestone Tour BRX

Been on a bit of an EBay buying spree the last week.  Picked up a couple of new old stock Vokey wedges. An SM3 54-11 and a SM6 60-04 L grind.  Those will go in the bag to replace the worn SM7 54 & 60 10S wedges that are in there now.
More excited though about a set of Corey Paul wedge heads that I splurged for and won the bid on! Looking forward to building a set of wedges with KBS Tour V wedge shafts, BB & F Scarlet and Silver ferrules, and Superstroke Traxion Tour Midsize grips. They will be the first forged wedge heads for me.  Lofts are 52, 56 & 60.

My wedge tinkering begins.

Man golf clubs are just so much fun to hoard lol!

• Like 1

-or-

• 2 weeks later...

There's no option offered for NO wedges that match the numbered irons.

I've had set configurations like that in the past.

Matching wedge sets came out just before the lofts changed.

The PW that matched your irons was around 50º back then when the 60º lob wedge was introduced.

They'd offer a 50-55-60 set or something like that, and you chose whether to match your PW to your irons or to  your other wedges.

And even now, you can still do that if you want to

because they offer very strong lofted aftermarket wedges for those who might be interested in them.

Off topic, I haven't thought about golf for a long time, but remembered the forum and thought I'd check it out..

I played for more than fifty years before I had to give up the game.

I'm not sure that I'd even take it up now.

It's not that I didn't love the game because I really did.

I loved to play golf for a long time, and only physical problems took me away from it.

But in today's world, youngsters who are the most like I was  back then when I was their age

seem to have no interest in golf at all.  They don't even seem to like people who do play very much.  It's a socio-political thing as much as anything.

I wonder if I would have been been lured into it as I was circa 1960-61.

No way of ever knowing, I guess, and it  doesn't really  matter, anyway. 

I played when I could.

Edited by NiftyNiblick
  • Like 2

As I wait for my 56* cobra MIM wedge to come in I’ve fallen back in love with my TM MG 58! Some bunker practice has got me second guessing myself 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

-or-

Yes he does until you discover that you actually have very few “shots” between 100 and 30 yards during a round. Then his stuff is pointless. It takes a ton a practice time away from more commonly hit and thus important shots and often adds a useless club to the bag.

If the data shows that you have a lots of shots per round in that range, that’s a different story. Assuming of course those shots aren’t to get up and down to save par or bogey in which case a person would need to invest more time with the tee ball.

For my game wedges are all about pitching and chipping - I might have one or two full shots with them in a round.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

I think when dealing with the Pelz stuff that its important to understand that he specifically markets himself as a short-game and putting guru, so he's always going to contend that short game and putting are the most important.  Otherwise, he'd be pushing people away from his own business.  Not to say he doesn't have many good ideas, he certainly does, but he exaggerates the importance of short game.

Back to the topic, I do get to hit a fair number of short shots, so I specifically accept a large-ish gap between 180 and 200, but have pretty consistent 10-yard full-swing gaps down to about 90 yards.  I've considered getting something to go 190 or so, and reworking my wedges to be able to drop a club, but that doesn't fit the course I play as well.  I've also practiced a bit (not tons, not doing the "clock" system) for shorter wedge shots.  Its not hard to learn to hit a 60 yard shot, or a 40 yard, or whatever, with only a small amount of practice.  And you WILL get it closer, on average, than if you choose to lay back to a full-swing yardage.  Shot selection is really another topic, so I won't hammer that idea here.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I think when dealing with the Pelz stuff that its important to understand that he specifically markets himself as a short-game and putting guru, so he's always going to contend that short game and putting are the most important.  Otherwise, he'd be pushing people away from his own business.  Not to say he doesn't have many good ideas, he certainly does, but he exaggerates the importance of short game.

Back to the topic, I do get to hit a fair number of short shots, so I specifically accept a large-ish gap between 180 and 200, but have pretty consistent 10-yard full-swing gaps down to about 90 yards.  I've considered getting something to go 190 or so, and reworking my wedges to be able to drop a club, but that doesn't fit the course I play as well.  I've also practiced a bit (not tons, not doing the "clock" system) for shorter wedge shots.  Its not hard to learn to hit a 60 yard shot, or a 40 yard, or whatever, with only a small amount of practice.  And you WILL get it closer, on average, than if you choose to lay back to a full-swing yardage.  Shot selection is really another topic, so I won't hammer that idea here.

Fully agreed on all counts - my problem is that my game and the courses that I play it on don't allow me to get closer. 🙂 

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Yes he does until you discover that you actually have very few “shots” between 100 and 30 yards during a round. Then his stuff is pointless. It takes a ton a practice time away from more commonly hit and thus important shots and often adds a useless club to the bag.

If the data shows that you have a lots of shots per round in that range, that’s a different story. Assuming of course those shots aren’t to get up and down to save par or bogey in which case a person would need to invest more time with the tee ball.

For my game wedges are all about pitching and chipping - I might have one or two full shots with them in a round.

That’s what I was discovering, I had clubs for yardages that I never took a full swing at. My lob wedge goes 85 yards on a full swing, but I almost never would use it I would 3/4 my 54 or gap wedge and be more accurate. So if you can learn to manipulate one wedge for around the green and then just use the gap wedge for your fuller shots I think that might be the simplest approach. 🤷🏻‍♂️ just saying, I also I’ve been laying up to more yardages that suit my best yardage from the fairway instead of trying to bomb it as close as possible and recover from a possible terrible lie. So essentially the anti-Bryson.
I’ve heard Justin Thomas talk a lot about practicing with wedges too. He has some really insightful things to say on it.

• Like 2

-or-