Wedge Setup  

253 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges (of any sort) do you have in your bag?

• 5 or more
  2. 2. How many of your wedges match your iron set?

• Just PW
    • PW and GW/AW
    • 3 or more
  3. 3. How many different brands of clubs are represented in your wedges?

• 5 or more

Our Sponsors

Just curious, in light of the recent blog post from T, how many guys use a PW that is matched to their set and how many don't - it's not just the number of wedges but the type.  Ironically I just put an extra wedge into my set but it's more to get my 60 back in and take the 3 wood out so that I'm not tempted to hit it.  I've reclaimed enough yardage that 5 wood now goes 195-210 off the tee which was what I had 3 wood in for anyway.

When I put the D7's in for a trial spin I will play with them for a couple of months at least (unless something goes radically wrong) and plan to use even the GW from that set - I hit all of my shots around the green with the 52 or the 58 - that will now be the 52 or the 60, unless I'm hitting a bump and run shot.  Currently that is with 8 iron but we shall see once the new set is in.

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sorry that I'm so late to the party on a great thread.  I think it's great that you are making decisions on what clubs to bag based upon the data instead of so called "conventional" wisdom.  The r

I don't think there is anything wrong with this approach as long as you can hit your desired distances.  

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me t

Just curious, in light of the recent blog post from T, how many guys use a PW that is matched to their set and how many don't - it's not just the number of wedges but the type.  Ironically I just put an extra wedge into my set but it's more to get my 60 back in and take the 3 wood out so that I'm not tempted to hit it.  I've reclaimed enough yardage that 5 wood now goes 195-210 off the tee which was what I had 3 wood in for anyway.

When I put the D7's in for a trial spin I will play with them for a couple of months at least (unless something goes radically wrong) and plan to use even the GW from that set - I hit all of my shots around the green with the 52 or the 58 - that will now be the 52 or the 60, unless I'm hitting a bump and run shot.  Currently that is with 8 iron but we shall see once the new set is in.

I use set through the gap; all of which I will use a full swing. I use my 54 and 58 for a full swing but often feel like the 58 is a waste since I seldom use it.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I use set through the gap; all of which I will use a full swing. I use my 54 and 58 for a full swing but often feel like the 58 is a waste since I seldom use it.

Is the 54 your sand iron then?  Do you go with the differing bounce on each - one high bounce the other low bounce? 

I've done that in the past - didn't worry about it after switching to the V soles but thought it was a good strategy when I employed it. 

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

My wedge setup is the stock set PW (46°) and Vokey 50°, 54°, 58°. My 58° gets the most play of the four wedges. This is my 90-yard and in club with the 50°/54° mostly relegated to greenside chips where I need a little more run and shots 90-125 yards, which those distances do not seem to happen often. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila  DVS

:macgregor-small: MT 3W Aldila DVS/Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915H3 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5/Cameron Santa Fe

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Is the 54 your sand iron then?  Do you go with the differing bounce on each - one high bounce the other low bounce? 
I've done that in the past - didn't worry about it after switching to the V soles but thought it was a good strategy when I employed it. 

54 is sand and high bounce. My 58 is lower bounce, but I don’t have a lot of issues only using the high bounce wedge.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I saw the thing about using the matched pitching wedge.  For me, I love the Ping PW that's part of the set and I l ike the range I hit it, so I'm definitely keeping that.  Aside from the PW, the rest are Vokeys although I'm going to play around with some different brands, like maybe the new Cleveland.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G410+  9° Stiff
:cobra-small:  F9 3W
:ping-small:  i210 4-Pw Stiff
:ping-small:  3H
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60
:ping-small: Sigma
:srixon-small: Zstar

I have had that thought. I have 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges and I'm not a fan of my 58. So its getting replaced by 3 wood (haven't played 3 wood in awhile). I'm thinking of changing the 50 and 54 to 52 and 56 respectively. I just hope the gapping is correct. We shall see. 

• Like 1

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)

8 hours ago, SoonRC said:

I have had that thought. I have 50, 54, and 58 degree wedges and I'm not a fan of my 58. So its getting replaced by 3 wood (haven't played 3 wood in awhile). I'm thinking of changing the 50 and 54 to 52 and 56 respectively. I just hope the gapping is correct. We shall see. 

What's your pitching wedge or does your set have pitching wedge, gap wedge - if so what's the gap wedge?  How about that 3 wood?  Why did it come out?  When it was in did it cause more problems than it solved (that would be the case for many golfers).  If you added a wood might a 4 wood or 5 wood (which any more really is a 4 wood) make more sense? 

Also do you use some sort of tracking system for your game?  Sometimes what we perceive isn't what's actually going on. 

Not trying to be a pain.  Those are exactly the questions that I constantly ask myself.  The tracking system made it crystal clear in regards to what club I should chip with and what club (3 wood) needed to come out of the bag for good.  I was all of 5 yards longer with it than 5 wood and I bet if I had something to track carry that I carry the 5 wood longer than a carry the 3 wood.  I'm certainly way more consistent with it.

Good luck and welcome

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

I used to game a 46* PW, 52* GW and 56* SW......then somewhere along the way, the PW became 43*, GW 48* Sw 54* and LW 58*. I use full and 1/2 shots on all, depending on the Lie and distance. The LW is my sand wedge while the 54* is my short chips. On the other end, I adjusted the loft on my 3W from 14.5* to 16* and my 5W from 18* to 20*. I did not lose any distance and now get them in the fairway. As for the Wedges, both the 48* and 54* Wedges match my irons. With the same shaft so I get similar feel from them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

2 hours ago, revkev said:

What's your pitching wedge or does your set have pitching wedge, gap wedge - if so what's the gap wedge?  How about that 3 wood?  Why did it come out?  When it was in did it cause more problems than it solved (that would be the case for many golfers).  If you added a wood might a 4 wood or 5 wood (which any more really is a 4 wood) make more sense? 

Also do you use some sort of tracking system for your game?  Sometimes what we perceive isn't what's actually going on. 

Not trying to be a pain.  Those are exactly the questions that I constantly ask myself.  The tracking system made it crystal clear in regards to what club I should chip with and what club (3 wood) needed to come out of the bag for good.  I was all of 5 yards longer with it than 5 wood and I bet if I had something to track carry that I carry the 5 wood longer than a carry the 3 wood.  I'm certainly way more consistent with it.

Good luck and welcome

Great questions...

So my pitching wedge is part of my set (46 degree; very traditional lofts on my iron set). I love that club, I feel like can hit it anywhere between 100 to 125 yards (I don't hit it far but I'm pretty damn straight). My current wedge setup is 50, 54, 58 all Cleveland CG15. They are great wedges, and were originally bought to have a club to hit full down to 75 yards. At that time I was playing a 3 wood that was the wrong flex and it was just taking space in the bag so I thought I would replace it with a wedge. Over time I have realized that I rarely hit my gap and lob wedges. Despite many range sessions that focused on hitting and getting the feel of the wedges, I have only found comfort in the 54. The others, as a result, the 50 and 58 look like new clubs...just facts. When I have 100 yard shot, I should be hitting the 50 (and yes it goes that distance, actually 105), but I feel more in control hitting a flighted PW.

So as I am getting back into golf hard this summer, I felt it was time to go back to 3 wood to have a club to dial back and hit fairways should the driver be going sideways. 3 wood will more that likely be a tee club only, but it will give me options from the tee, to better manage courses. I was ok without a 3 wood for so long because I have a 2 iron hybrid that I absolutely crush. I looked at 4 and 5 woods and felt that the gapping was off (though I thought really hard about 4 wood).

As a feel player, I have not in the past used a tracking system for my game. But it was recommended that I use the Taylormade myRoundPro App, so I have started using that. It does not have enough data in it to tell me anything yet (unfortunately, though I work in education and students and faculty have the summer off, I don't and this is actually the busiest time of year for me, go figure...) but it will get in there and I can make more precise decisions about what's in the bag.

I think I answered everything...definitely appreciate the questions!

• Like 2

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me think. Why do I have a 58* wedge when I can easily open up a for flops and turn it down for a numb and run? I’m starting wonder why an amateur needs a 54 and 58 wedge when I can’t devote the time to practice with either. I’m thinking of going with just a 56 and then next up would be my 50 gap. I also play one length and love it. The standard length wedges are so short too that I never feel confident when a full shot. Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought? Or am I just crazy? Also anyone tried out the new cobra MIM wedge?
I’ll hang up and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Do you usually play the same course? Do you like to manufacture shots? I carry 5 wedges because I want to make full swings from 105-165 yards out: I don’t want to have to think about making a 75% swing from 115 because I only have a 50 degree and a 56. I also love having all those wedges for chips and sand shots of various lengths: I just take another club and make the same swing I do with my 60 to add more length/rollout. I’ve heard that the one length wedges are the hardest part of adjusting to a one length set. So like most posters have already commented, set your bag up to suit your strengths: there’s no point carrying clubs that are a liability...

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

My PW and GW are both from my set, and I'm very comfortable hitting full shots with them. I'm also getting quite comfortable hitting full shots with my 54* CBX wedge, which is the main reason I bought it. My final wedge is a Cleveland Smart Sole S, which replaced my 58* which I rarely, and I mean rarely, used. So of my 4 wedges, 2 are set, one is considered a GI (non blade) wedge, and the last is a one trick pony.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

After thinking about this some more, I have come to the conclusion that the lofts of my irons are causing my gap issues. I have Titleist AP3 clubs which I love. Was looking at the loft specs and my 9 iron is 39 degrees, Pitching wedge is 43 degrees and gap wedge is 48 degrees. So really my nine iron is more like a traditional 8 iron and the pitching wedge is more like a nine and the Gap wedge more like a pitching wedge.  My Sand wedge is a Vokey SM7 54 and I have a Vokey SM7 60 degree lob wedge.  Sharpened the grooves on the 54 & 60 wedges a couple of months ago, but it is probably time to replace them soon anyways.

When I replace them I will most likely get a set with 52, 56 & 60.  At that time I will drop my 5 iron which is really more like a 4 iron anyways.

At some point when it is time for the AP3s to be replaced I might look at a more traditional iron set.

I have the same clubs and couldn’t figure out why there was a 30 yard gap between the AP3 PW and my 52 degree! Even bought a 50 degree and that only closed the gap to 24 yards: all before I just looked up the loft and discovered it was 43 degrees 🤦🏾‍♂️

So now I have 43, 48, 52, 56, 60 vokeys: the 56 & 60 have a lot of bounce and the most forgiving grind(k) the other 3 are for full shots and have less bounce.

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

This is exactly why I roll my eyes at people who say you shouldn't look at loft in irons because it doesn't matter.  I disagree because you have to match your wedges to your irons, or else you might have a huge gap between your PW or AW and the rest of your wedges.

Even if you consider the AW in a set to be the gap wedge, if you go from a 46 or 50 degree AW to a traditional 56 degree wedge, that's a huge gap.  Nowdays, youre almost forced into carrying 2 gap wedges, unless the AW in your set is around 50 degrees and you go with a 54/58 setup.

Edited by ZenGolfer
  • Like 2

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Well, I bit the bullet and dropped the 5 iron out of the bag for now and replaced the 54 & 60 Vokey SM7 wedges with a set of Corey Paul 52, 56, & 60 wedge heads that I built with KBS Tour V wedge shafts and SuperStroke Traxion tour grips.  Put Prosoft inserts in the shafts too and BB&F ferrules. 

Extremely happy with the changes!  My gapping issue on the low end of the bag has been eliminated.  The touch around the greens is awesome.  Still figuring out all of my full swing distances & partial swing distances, but so far they have really worked well.

Yesterday for example, playing with the Men’s Group, I tied my low round.  Hit 11 of 18 GIR and got up and down 5 of 7 on the ones I missed.  

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

On 8/6/2020 at 2:43 PM, Micah T said:

I have the same clubs and couldn’t figure out why there was a 30 yard gap between the AP3 PW and my 52 degree! Even bought a 50 degree and that only closed the gap to 24 yards: all before I just looked up the loft and discovered it was 43 degrees 🤦🏾‍♂️

So now I have 43, 48, 52, 56, 60 comets: the 56 & 60 have a lot of bounce and the most forgiving grind(k) the other 3 are for full shots and have less bounce.

I love that set up, but I lack distance off the tee and I'm really able to use my 56 and 49 degree wedges for any shot around the green.  Just yesterday I was able to hit a high flop with the 56* over a bunker to a tight pin and stop it close for a birdie put, where as I like having options at the top to make a full swing with a 2 hybrid or 4 iron to get the right trajectory I need into the green.  Probably just different ways to get the same result.  I like your set up and hopefully as I improve my ball striking I can move to a set up more like yours. I also play one length irons and that may be where I need to look for a change. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 9* Driver

:cobra-small: F9 14.5* 3W

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid

:Hogan: UiHi 19*  *Official Tester*

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW

:cobra-small: MIM 50*, 55*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 34"

:taylormade-small: TP5x pix or yellow

-or-

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool thread. 

I would play a different brand of every club in my bag, different shaft, different grip if it helped me score.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg