TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: GolfBalls.com AlignXL

I played a small 9 hole course the other day, and the first time around I used the align XL as an aiming point and hit 71% of the fairways. On the back I did not and hit 0% of the fairways, but for the most part they were not terribly off line. Below are the tracking information from Arccos. Don’t judge the standard deviation, it was not a driver course, and I did have a cold top that went 60 yards 😂

BE47D6A8-4196-410C-BACD-61D88FEA2F3A.jpeg

5689193E-62BF-4572-8737-D11972C007F6.jpeg

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

As a reference for the above post, I typically hit around 45% of fairways. I’m a very visual person, so for me it really helped my confidence playing the first 9 using it to aim. 

21959F3A-5FAD-4865-BA5B-8C12FD98AEEE.png

At the practice green yesterday and going through my normal routine that I outlined earlier. I also frequently play a game where I hit two putts from 15 feet. A make is worth -1 and a 2 putt is worth 0. Then I hit two putts from 6 feet, where a make is worth 0 and a 2 putt is +1. I plays 9 holes and try to be under par, and with the Align I was having one of my best practice sessions yet. 18/18 on 6 footers. 6/18 from 15 feet. 0 3 putts. 6 under par in my game where 1 under is a good score for me.

However, I am not seeing a great roll on the ball. I'll revisit this with some video. At first I thought my putting stroke just wasn't that great, because I know that's an area I need to continue to work on, but yesterday I was making everything.

20200716_173939.jpg.00da32cc5f7e08eea2a7c459417f223f.jpg

I don't know how well this comes across in photos, but the alignment aid by itself looks great. I have had 0 issues with it on the course or in practice.Early testing numbers are favorable. When you mark you line well, there is confidence standing over the putt. But as you can see in the bottom photos, the AlignXL does not exactly line up with the manufacture markings. Which naturally means one of them is not completely centered. I don't know how much that matters exactly, but when you roll the ball it looks wobbly. And I'm thinking now its more the differing markings than my actual poor putting. 

20200716_173949.jpg.925f166044c7a0696cab671c8293d102.jpg

Any others testers notice this? Could just be the Srixon ball. Either the markings on it already, or the way its printed on it. The other 11 are the same as well. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

9 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Any others testers notice this? Could just be the Srixon ball. Either the markings on it already, or the way its printed on it. The other 11 are the same as well. 

I haven’t noticed, but I’ll take a closer look this afternoon when I go play. 

20 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Only down side is you can’t move the ball to align other than tee and green. Do you think you would become to accustomed to this in practice area and mess with you on course?

Yeah that is a problem, you can't move the ball. I most likely wouldn't because I never moved the ball I was just more interested if it would help and I think it does but can't use it hahah 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

18 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

@Nolan220 I believe it did help me visualize my line I wanted to hit a little better off the tee. My shot I like to hit right now off the tee is a fade, so I think it helped me line up better at the start. Unfortunately, it didn’t magically unlock the secret to hitting 14/14 fairways, BUT it was sweet watching it take off on the exact line you intended.

Like @Lacassem said, I didn’t line up the ball except for on the tee and on the green. I’m really liking the alignment aid on the green. It’s helping me commit to the line especially on the breakers.

thats awesome .. yeah I mean playing by the rules can only use off tee and green but I think it def helps maybe not 14/14 fairways haha

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

At the practice green yesterday and going through my normal routine that I outlined earlier. I also frequently play a game where I hit two putts from 15 feet. A make is worth -1 and a 2 putt is worth 0. Then I hit two putts from 6 feet, where a make is worth 0 and a 2 putt is +1. I plays 9 holes and try to be under par, and with the Align I was having one of my best practice sessions yet. 18/18 on 6 footers. 6/18 from 15 feet. 0 3 putts. 6 under par in my game where 1 under is a good score for me.

However, I am not seeing a great roll on the ball. I'll revisit this with some video. At first I thought my putting stroke just wasn't that great, because I know that's an area I need to continue to work on, but yesterday I was making everything.

I don't know how well this comes across in photos, but the alignment aid by itself looks great. I have had 0 issues with it on the course or in practice.Early testing numbers are favorable. When you mark you line well, there is confidence standing over the putt. But as you can see in the bottom photos, the AlignXL does not exactly line up with the manufacture markings. Which naturally means one of them is not completely centered. I don't know how much that matters exactly, but when you roll the ball it looks wobbly. And I'm thinking now its more the differing markings than my actual poor putting. 

interesting .. I will check mine out and get back to you 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:51 PM, Nolan220 said:

has anyone tried to use the align XL on the tee box to aim at your line ? ( or on any approach / chipping line) ? 

Yes.  I did this during my testing of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X balls.  You can read about that here 

Of course their claim with those balls is that they are "CG Balanced" and the stripe will aid in both putting and ball flight. So for my first two rounds with the AlignXL, I used the stripe to help off the tee.  Most often, I like placing the OEM logo facing up towards me at ~45 angle.  That just seems to fit my eye best.  Plus, some time back, I started using the "pick a mark in front of you" method to align my stance with the flag or desired target and I find that more reliable for me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

20200716_173949.jpg.925f166044c7a0696cab671c8293d102.jpg

I just checked my sleeves and I too notice a slight off center alignment - not as noticeable as your picture, but definitely not in-line with the OEM mark.  I haven't noticed it during putting tests.

image.png.8790a2ed0f1f7cd0f299ee8f94ef1e0f.png

On 7/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, Lacassem said:

Only down side is you can’t move the ball to align other than tee and green.

You obviously haven't played with retirees in Yuma, AZ.... just kidding, they're not quite that loose with the rules 😆.

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

You obviously haven't played with retirees in Yuma, AZ.... just kidding, they're not quite that loose with the rules 😆.

I played with this retired cop and he move his ball with like he was stick handling a puck 😂

I have completed the first set of comparison tests using different alignment aids.  I started to include TruVis but quickly abandoned it as it just looked wonky to me 🤪. The no mark ball is just another ProV1 but I orientate the marks so their not seen (or barely so). I'm going to run this same sequence on various days on the same green in approximately the same locations. My immediate impression is that nothing stands out from a make percentage, but I do like both the AlignXL and Titleist OEM marks from a visual standpoint.  

image.png.a784179442ebf195667b1cb91454301d.png

And, just to show that CC4 thread that they've got nothing on us, I'll attempt one of the putting sessions after enjoying a refreshing beverage 🙂

16 GIFs Answers The Eternal Question Why Women Live Longer - Barnorama

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have completed the first set of comparison tests using different alignment aids.  I started to include TruVis but quickly abandoned it as it just looked wonky to me 🤪. The no mark ball is just another ProV1 but I orientate the marks so their not seen (or barely so). I'm going to run this same sequence on various days on the same green in approximately the same locations. My immediate impression is that nothing stands out from a make percentage, but I do like both the AlignXL and Titleist OEM marks from a visual standpoint.  

image.png.a784179442ebf195667b1cb91454301d.png

And, just to show that CC4 thread that they've got nothing on us, I'll attempt one of the putting sessions after enjoying a refreshing beverage 🙂

16 GIFs Answers The Eternal Question Why Women Live Longer - Barnorama

New challenge us versus the CC4 thread !

Come On Lets Go GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Did some durability testing this morning. I hit 10 shots with a marker line, Align XL that I played 18 with the previous day, and Triple Track. I hit high, and low shots mixed distances between 30-50 yards. 

469415854_image0(5).jpeg.adb1d68fd2fbf6f13151af7e5ab1908f.jpeg

These were the results of hitting the lines as best I could both parallel to the ground and perpendicular to the ground to get a good idea of what it would be like on the course. The Sharpie really splattered out, which I will use to putt with later against the same balls to see if there is any drop off in performance. The Align had some chips, but nothing that will affect using it to aim, and the Triple Track looks like new. I really like how the Align XL is holding up, I do not like the webbing I usually get with a sharpie, and the Triple Track so far is amazing with the putter and durability.

1956932216_image2(1).jpeg.455d442c184fd655fd14a30454c98f27.jpeg image3.jpeg.472f9bc7e78045e9ae41d3c6d0bae7c1.jpeg image4.jpeg.c6bfbbf174fe758aae41106e947bc0d9.jpeg

Here are some numbers I got from the putting green this morning before the hurricane hit. 
552533BE-D668-4525-ADCD-3C0D48C19C82.jpeg.00befc9c62173740b67753945ba7467f.jpeg

I have realized on the course, how good the Align XL really helps me on putts of distances over 3 feet. Something about the longer more defined line helps me aim better. In my round the other day I had 3 greens I one putted, each over 15 feet. 

Also, with all this time on the putting green and chipping area, I have learned I may need to switch to the Tour B XS for more spin, and I need to practice more short putts. 

My second day of putting tests. My goodness, if this testing exercise does nothing else it is getting me to do more putting practice... the numbers are definitely showing I need it! 😑  Not exactly stellar inside of 10 ft., but WOW does my make percentage plummet beyond that distance. It's not that I'm missing the majority of them by much, but this or my fairways hit have to be the two culprits keeping me from getting my handicap into single digits. 

Based on the numbers thus far, I'd say the alignment aids are helping a very wee bit.  On the "no line" ball, I tried picking a target about 1 ft in front of the ball and lined my putters stripe to it. That's the method I default too if I'm being too lazy to use whatever OEM mark is on the ball.  I'm still on the fence as to whether I like the AlignXL or Titleist OEM mark. It's pretty close for me at this point.  The TT just dosen't appeal to me for some reason... perhaps it's because subconsciously I'm a bit hacked off at Phil presently 🤣

image.png.de1e182ed802da6b9fa978b663d7bc7e.png

As for durability, my preliminary ranking is; #1 Titleist OEM mark, #2 Callaway Triple Track, #3 AlignXL. I played a second 18 holes with a brand new ball and, much like the first ball, both the Align stripe and FIXYURDIVOT were showing wear.  I recall in our testers IM thread that AlignXL was having some challenges with their ink suppliers as a result of the pandemic.  Perhaps this and/or challenges on the production line might be the reason?  I'll have to go back and review the 2019 AlignXL Testing to see how durability scored.

I plan at least one more replicate putting test and, hopefully 2-3 more rounds in the books before the final review.  If anyone has questions or other tests you would like to see, please let me (the test group) know. 

I wonder if I have space in my bag for one of these 🤔🙂

EyeLine Golf: EDGE Putting System GIF | Gfycat

Played a round today noticed some minor issues little paint chips or what not .. nothing I care about didn’t mess up the line... Also played a hole round where on every shot I putt the ball so my club face would hit the align mark.. and let me tell you something brother I am impressed see the first  two photos and the last photo the align mark did better then I expected !!  
image.jpeg.508cc6f9aa93f3cec226a179a81346f5.jpeg

8D569919-F9DA-4B4F-93E3-CE2ABB44F818.jpeg

EBF8B979-F117-47C9-B3AC-B8CFC87AAFD3.jpeg

E9024021-AEB9-44EC-9E9E-8C2123046B01.jpeg

24DC2C03-A6EE-4739-A227-C01EF5813574.jpeg

87780864-3B75-43B1-81DE-6F11E72B7C1D.jpeg

3C0CFC33-F4E8-4B64-A284-0F34BF5DCD81.jpeg

CCB90095-102B-43D9-AEEE-52783DB24917.jpeg

Also putting some data together from my putts with align, marker line and blank ball will be updating tomorrow ! So far results look good 

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

My second day of putting tests. My goodness, if this testing exercise does nothing else it is getting me to do more putting practice... the numbers are definitely showing I need it! 😑  Not exactly stellar inside of 10 ft., but WOW does my make percentage plummet beyond that distance. It's not that I'm missing the majority of them by much, but this or my fairways hit have to be the two culprits keeping me from getting my handicap into single digits. 

Based on the numbers thus far, I'd say the alignment aids are helping a very wee bit.  On the "no line" ball, I tried picking a target about 1 ft in front of the ball and lined my putters stripe to it. That's the method I default too if I'm being too lazy to use whatever OEM mark is on the ball.  I'm still on the fence as to whether I like the AlignXL or Titleist OEM mark. It's pretty close for me at this point.  The TT just dosen't appeal to me for some reason... perhaps it's because subconsciously I'm a bit hacked off at Phil presently 🤣

As for durability, my preliminary ranking is; #1 Titleist OEM mark, #2 Callaway Triple Track, #3 AlignXL. I played a second 18 holes with a brand new ball and, much like the first ball, both the Align stripe and FIXYURDIVOT were showing wear.  I recall in our testers IM thread that AlignXL was having some challenges with their ink suppliers as a result of the pandemic.  Perhaps this and/or challenges on the production line might be the reason?  I'll have to go back and review the 2019 AlignXL Testing to see how durability scored.

I plan at least one more replicate putting test and, hopefully 2-3 more rounds in the books before the final review.  If anyone has questions or other tests you would like to see, please let me (the test group) know. 

How many putts was that out of for each distance?

8-10 is a thought distance for sure

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

16 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

its crazy the OEM is murdering the 3 and 6 feet putts .. do you usually use the OEM line when playing or some sort of other line ?

13 hours ago, Lacassem said:

How many putts was that out of for each distance?

8-10 is a thought distance for sure

10 putts from each distance. I'm embarrassed to share the data 🤮.

Nice job with the numbers guys.  I usually use a red sharpie to mark my ball and if the ball makes it through part of the round, I usually have to reapply the markings because it transfers to the club or wears a bit.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

4 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Nice job with the numbers guys.  I usually use a red sharpie to mark my ball and if the ball makes it through part of the round, I usually have to reapply the markings because it transfers to the club or wears a bit.

MDGolfHacker

This is what surprised me with my round yesterday .. the Align mark was still in good condition ! I would also do a red marker line and it was all jacked up during the round. 

I finally will be able to get a round in on Thursday so I’ll be able to report on the lining up off the tee. So far the XL has been much better on the practice green. I’m finding the especially true on anything inside 10’. I still like the look of the triple track better, but the data is showing more makes for the XL. I’m excited to try it on the course Thursday and this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I just checked my sleeves and I too notice a slight off center alignment - not as noticeable as your picture, but definitely not in-line with the OEM mark.  I haven't noticed it during putting tests.
image.png.8790a2ed0f1f7cd0f299ee8f94ef1e0f.png

That’s the first thing I noticed out of the box, I found a good work around for it though.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

I have slowly gathered some data from putting. I have used the Align XL, Triple Track, OEM alignment aid, and no alignment at all. I have tallied 50 putts of each from 5 and 10 ft, both being decently straight as I’m doing these on the practice green at my regular course. I wanted a base line to see if they are all decently close in results for the straight putts. I’ll go into more detail later, but I was between 41 and 43 out of 50 on the 5 footers. I plan on now using each of the 4 options with breakers from 8 ft, 15 ft, and then do a smaller sample size on longer putts to see if it makes much of a difference.

I have started the 8 ft breakers and have definitely enjoyed using the Align XL and Triple Track. It really is helping me commit to the line I select, now if I can just figure out the speed on some of these breaks. 

Another test I want to run here soon is trying to line up the alignment balls 5, 10, and 20 ft away from a ruler. Pick a number, try and line it up, then get a laser and see how close I actually was.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I have slowly gathered some data from putting. I have used the Align XL, Triple Track, OEM alignment aid, and no alignment at all. I have tallied 50 putts of each from 5 and 10 ft, both being decently straight as I’m doing these on the practice green at my regular course. I wanted a base line to see if they are all decently close in results for the straight putts. I’ll go into more detail later, but I was between 41 and 43 out of 50 on the 5 footers. I plan on now using each of the 4 options with breakers from 8 ft, 15 ft, and then do a smaller sample size on longer putts to see if it makes much of a difference.
I have started the 8 ft breakers and have definitely enjoyed using the Align XL and Triple Track. It really is helping me commit to the line I select, now if I can just figure out the speed on some of these breaks. 
Another test I want to run here soon is trying to line up the alignment balls 5, 10, and 20 ft away from a ruler. Pick a number, try and line it up, then get a laser and see how close I actually was.

Nice! I’m loving the line too, it’s been really helping with committing to a line, like you said. Speed on the other hand... well that’s why we’re amateurs 🤣. I’m excited to play with them and use the line off the tee. That’s one area where I struggle is how am I lining up for my tee shot. I’m going to try get out and do the sand test to test the durability. Dang work has been so busy lately I haven’t had any time for lunchtime golf!

15 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I align is darker and thicker then the sharpie mark I use with an OEM tool and so far my numbers from 8 ft are better with the align .. I also feel with the align mark I can see my putting line a lot better from father distance. 

6 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

Nice! I’m loving the line too, it’s been really helping with committing to a line, like you said. Speed on the other hand... well that’s why we’re amateurs 🤣. I’m excited to play with them and use the line off the tee. That’s one area where I struggle is how am I lining up for my tee shot. I’m going to try get out and do the sand test to test the durability. Dang work has been so busy lately I haven’t had any time for lunchtime golf!

I been out couple of times but we have a heat wave with heat indexes in the high 90s to 100s so I need to choose wisely about going out haha 

I been out couple of times but we have a heat wave with heat indexes in the high 90s to 100s so I need to choose wisely about going out haha 

Same here! I’ve been bringing shorts and a new polo to change into for when I get back from lunch. But even with just putting I’ve been sweating out my shirts!!