Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grip really does affect your drive.

So, on Wednesday I managed to clip a piece off my right index finger.  Playing on Friday, I noticed my drives were 20 yards shorter and I had 5 misfits versus my normal 1-2.  I did notice my 7 wood and hybrid were basically the same.  I put on a right handed glove the second hole.  I later verified my yardage with the Arccos report.  Today, Saturday, I was doing my SuperSpeedGolf exercises and my average had dropped 5 mph on all clubs.  I even tried with the right handed glove. My guess is this is going to take about two weeks to cure.  Until then, I plan to play with both gloves.

Ranny

I hurt my left thumb earlier this year.  I had to change my grip so that it wouldn't just keep getting worse.  After tinkering with my grip, I gained yardage on all my clubs.  Basically, I am now hitting one club shorter across the board.  My 7 iron now does the distance my 6 iron used to, 8 like the 7, etc.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

Yowza! Sorry about your finger... But I can totally see how it might affect your yardage. Do you think that perhaps you might subconsciously be easing off part of your swing as to not re-injure it? 

Callaway Epic Flash 9°

GBB 3 Wood

GBB 7 Heaven Wood

Rogue Pro 4-PW

Mack Daddy 64°

60°

White Hot 2 Mallet 

12 minutes ago, elvis14 said:

I hurt my left thumb earlier this year.  I had to change my grip so that it wouldn't just keep getting worse.  After tinkering with my grip, I gained yardage on all my clubs.  Basically, I am now hitting one club shorter across the board.  My 7 iron now does the distance my 6 iron used to, 8 like the 7, etc.

Show us your new grip!

TM Driver, Wilson Woods, Mizuno JPX Irons, Vokey Wedges and Rossi putter.

Just now, ShootzGolf said:

Show us your new grip!

I'm right handed, I rotated my left hand clockwise so my left thumb wasn't right down the shaft (that was the issue with the injury and pain).  Then I separated my hands a bit.  My interlock now interlocks at the last joint of the finger instead of the first all they way down by the hand.  That seems to have moved the club more into the fingers of my right hand.  I suspect that the issue is that my old grip wasn't very good and the injury caused me to accidentally improve it.  I do have an issue with my miss being long and left and that I need to open the club face a bit to cut down on the hook/draw.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

I even find the amount of pressure I hold the club with effects my drive. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

1 hour ago, ShootzGolf said:

Show us your new grip!

What he said!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

3 hours ago, gilligan said:

Yowza! Sorry about your finger... But I can totally see how it might affect your yardage. Do you think that perhaps you might subconsciously be easing off part of your swing as to not re-injure it? 

This seems like the most likely reason, and I would expect your distance to return soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”