TESTERS WANTED! ×

Approach to Improving Putting?

Grit Golf

SO - Arccos released a new strokes gained feature a few weeks back, and It showed my putting was better on average after I started doing drills and got fit for a putter:

F81AE8F8-6DF4-4B5C-B3DA-49DFFE2E296E.jpeg.6dc717f571d8b415214b8a7a72b2163a.jpeg

However, putting was still holding me back:

D965A98F-BCA8-4094-B4BC-FF9CA4E30E26.jpeg.cb6f8b4edaf030a796c8d01cc9c3222c.jpeg

I was losing strokes within 25 feet worse than from 25+ feet:

5E37ED56-7D8C-4790-84F3-AB3BE546859A.jpeg.7b0254247ca96d7afd5d0f77b96db968.jpeg

I took a lesson with the best teacher / player I know (he won the Ohio PGA and caddied on tour for 7-8 years). He watched me putt and hated how “jerky” my putting stroke was (slow and short backswing, fast, stabby followthrough). We worked on that and he gave me a drill, after putting the time in, I had another round (at a par 3) that showed some signs of things paying off:

98EEF35A-5DCD-43AA-AD8F-C12BFDCED552.jpeg.9aca565298c4359d6a1ef1b2541516b0.jpeg

If I remember correctly, exputt measures the smoothness or quality of your stroke I believe? Based on my experience, that is as important as starting the ball on the line for your consistency. It seems like there are a lot of tools out there to help you putt better - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

If I remember correctly, exputt measures the smoothness or quality of your stroke I believe? Based on my experience, that is as important as starting the ball on the line for your consistency. It seems like there are a lot of tools out there to help you putt better - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Exputt measures path, face angle, launch direction, and ball speed. There isn’t anything that actually measures stroke timing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Exputt measures path, face angle, launch direction, and ball speed. There isn’t anything that actually measures stroke timing.

I love the ExPutt and have gotten a lot out of it!

@Grit Golf others - as an fyi another excellent putting training tool is Blast Motion Golf .. a sensor on the end of your club plus a smartphone app that displays a bunch of stroke metrics, including..

• tempo
  • stroke speed
  • backstroke length

There are also video clip tips (which I still have not dug into enough!) that are matched to your general putting level. Really useful if you have a putting mat at home. 

2007181796_Screenshot_20200829-150335_BlastGolf.jpg.1d0fdf77c038b6372c4ba954594efa93.jpg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

6 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

..oooops.....

(The "Edit" button used to be at the bottom - now it's in the menu "•••" at the top-right.)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 7/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, Grit Golf said:

SO - the ruler "test" is pretty revealing... It now makes complete sense why I miss almost all of my birdie putts.

I have a 2" wide x 48" club fitting ruler, and it's a real challenge to get from one end to the other without spilling off the side. This seems like a very sound place to start.

I'm guessing the ExPutt sim will smack you in the face with the same reality, just delivered in a prettier, more high tech way :). It'll be interesting to follow along w the forum reviewers on that one.

Missed this thread until now.

Alot has been mentioned here about Face Angle.   ExPutt--Yes another plug for it--has helped me with my face angle much more than any training aid or self practice that I've ever used.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This is a great thread with lots of good info.  I've put a lot of work into putting this summer on a practice green and getting my head / eyes in the right position has helped me get my alignment correct and get the putt on line consistently.  

My eye position has shifted as my eyesight changed enough that I can't wear my glasses any longer to play because the correction for distance is too great.  They mess up my depth perception on stuff close to me.....like a golf ball at the address position!  I know, I know....bifocals.....no thanks...not for me just yet.

Instead of putting with my eyes over the ball they are now between the ball and my feet.  I guess my eye dominance changes with or without glasses.  Without glasses & my eyes over the ball I think I feel I am aimed left and I tend to push the putt and miss to the right.  Its like a subconscious correction or something.  With my head/eyes back a little the putts are consistently on line and I get good results practicing the straight putts.  

Now my green reading for break and speed still needs work but my excuse is its due to a lack of playing at this point.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Without glasses & my eyes over the ball I think I feel I am aimed left and I tend to push the putt and miss to the right.  Its like a subconscious correction or something.  With my head/eyes back a little the putts are consistently on line and I get good results practicing the straight putts.  

This is called parallax error and is a documented thing with putting. Yes, it is a subconscious thing that tries to correct what you are seeing. Generally, the recommendation is to adjust setup to make you feel like your line is correct.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

This is a great thread with lots of good info.  I've put a lot of work into putting this summer on a practice green and getting my head / eyes in the right position has helped me get my alignment correct and get the putt on line consistently.  

My eye position has shifted as my eyesight changed enough that I can't wear my glasses any longer to play because the correction for distance is too great.  They mess up my depth perception on stuff close to me.....like a golf ball at the address position!  I know, I know....bifocals.....no thanks...not for me just yet.

My fitter pointed out my eyes weren’t in the right place over the ball (I don’t have the parallax problem you do, so I need to have my eyes “on the line” more consistently). He had the club tech at a second alignment line to the crown of the putter with automotive pin striping (that he then hit w a heat gun to harden it on). It works kind of like rifle sights, if my eyes are in the correct spot over the ball those two lines will line up, if not, they don’t. You could do something similar, just move the top line back toward you and it should put you where you want to be?

image.jpg.bf7513967019ce6e73e4f28777d1ab95.jpg

image.jpg.3d9f16b19ef7b5751961c75c37308cad.jpg

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

2 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

It works kind of like rifle sights, if my eyes are in the correct spot over the ball those two lines will line up, if not, they don’t. You could do something similar, just move the top line back toward you and it should put you where you want to be?

That extra line was a great addition! 

IMHO, though, you have to be careful... Depending on how you set up..

1. your putter to the ball
  2. you to your putter

..i think you want to be very careful about that "move the top line"...

That is - if you "pull" the handle of the putter towards you, you may be changing the lie angle and raising the toe of the putter ... and influencing the ball to go left (if you're RHed) on impact.

Suggestion: set the putter -flat- and then position yourself so the sights are properly aligned.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 10/7/2020 at 7:16 AM, cnosil said:

This is called parallax error and is a documented thing with putting. Yes, it is a subconscious thing that tries to correct what you are seeing. Generally, the recommendation is to adjust setup to make you feel like your line is correct.

Just to add... like @cksurfdude said; if you have to adjust your setup (closer/further away from the ball) or ball forward or back in stance, then the lie/loft of the putter should be checked and adjusted.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always read the putt, line up my ball, set the putter in line w the ball, then set myself up to the putter. The second line on the putter is a final bit of feedback to make sure I’ve set my upper body up over the putter correctly, ie - that my head is in the right place. Once my head is set I pull the trigger (which for me is give the handle a tiny forward press, pause, then rock the shoulders).

My problem wasn’t setting my feet up too close or too far away, I have a tendency to slouch sometimes, which pushes my eyes out past the line. Being able to get my head (the top of the pendulum if you will) in the right place with much more consistency is one of the biggest reasons I think I benefitted from the new putter. Without that feedback I didn’t realize how inconsistent my upper body was. Pin striping is low tech, but it shows the fitter knew what he was doing on the equipment side to try to fix my busted fundamentals.

Edited by Grit Golf