Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rangefinders

SuperDave

So I'm all set to buy the Bushnell Tour v5 Shift ($400). Then MGS says the Most Wanted finder is the Bushnell Pro EX ($500). The difference between the 2, the Pro can adjust for temputure and altitude.

I'd like my fellow spies opinions.

Is it worth the extra $100 for temp and altitude?Screenshot_20200707-105037_Samsung%20Internet.jpegScreenshot_20200707-105018_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If it were me, I don't think I could drop the extra $100. Slope is definitely nice, but I feel that it's something you can sorta determine the more you play. I don't have much to say about the temp feature, but I'd definitely choose to save the extra dough and put it towards my 'club ho-ing' 😉

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I bought the pro XE last year and really like it. I spent the extra money because I figured it would be something I use for 8+ years and it would be worth the extra money for the additional features. At the time it had better optics which really makes a big difference.  Looks like the V5 uses the same.  

I would say the temp and alt adjustments are worth it depending on where you play.  My home course is at about 4.5k feet and on the side of a mountain.  I noticed that my slope range will be +/- 10 yards vs other range finders without the "elements" features depending on if I am going up hill or down hill.  So if you travel around and play courses in CO and FL, then yes, I would say the extra $100 is easily worth it.  The ability to know that your 170 club is actually 170 at what ever course you are playing and not 160 or 180-190 would make the round more enjoyable.  Or even not those extremes but if you play a home course and travel to Appalachians for a couple of rounds you will notice a difference.   

If you only ever play your home course I don't know that it would be worth it because you will be able to equate your "distance" to a club and not have to worry about the variation that altitude/temp induces.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

One last thought. Don't underestimate the value of the 7x vs 6x optics. It may not seem like much but when I look through other rangefinders it is noticeable. It was a huge difference from the V4 and others.  May not be as big a difference with the V5. I mentioned this on another thread but I will sometimes use my rangefinder to look for my ball (that can be 100-150 yards away) when I go to where I think it should be and it's not there or when cresting a blind hill. It has saved me a lot of steps when walking. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

For my money, the V5 shift is all you need. Do you travel alot and play courses all over the country? I imagine most people play courses around them that are at similar altitudes. And everyone knows the ball doesnt go as far when its cold. You'll be alright. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I have the Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized, and it was ranked #1 when it came out, and it’s still up there. It’s the ONLY rangefinder with a stability function so your view isn’t wobbly. It’s accurate, fast, has great clarity, light, small, includes slope (can be turned-off), etc.  I can’t recommend it highly enough!

While my Nikon was missing for a month, I had the Precision Pro NX7 Pro. It’s EXCELLENT. While I was hoping for my Nikon to be returned, I realized that the PP was showing me it wasn’t necessary to spend an extra $200-$300. Seriously. Buy one, and if you don’t like it, you can return it! I’m not sure why “speed” is even mentioned in the results because is an extra half-a-second even measurable on the course??? No...

Anyway, if you want to pay the extra money, the Nikon is ridiculously good, if you want to save $300, buy a Precision Pro!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX