TESTERS WANTED! ×

Correlating Driver Distance (Carry only) to Swing Speed

We sometimes hear reference to swing speed as a metric for selecting a shaft or (as in the latest NoPuttsGiven video #44) a driver. But for those of us who don't reliably know what our swing speed is with our driver, or any other club for that matter, IS THERE A TABLE SOMEWHERE THAT CORRELATES DRIVER DISTANCE AND SWING SPEED? Even if we don't know our swing speed, most of us know or can easily determine our average driver carry distance. I'm not talking the longest drive we've hit this year and I'm not taking into consideration roll (total distance), just the carry distance. When the trajectory and ball flight characteristics are relatively conventional, not hooking hard or a big banana fade, that carry distance should correlate to some degree with the average swing speed, right? I suspect it correlates pretty well, allowing somewhat for equipment and smash factor (efficiency) differences. So, with reference to the "best" drivers based on swing speed that were mentioned on NPG#44, as a guy who is hitting his average drive (carry distance) 220 yards, do I fit in the slow swing speed category (less than 95 mph), the middle swing speed range (95 - 105), or the high swing speed range (over 105). AND IF THERE ISN'T A READILY AVAILABLE REFERENCE TABLE WE CAN LOOK AT, SHOULDN'T MY GOLF SPY DO US A FAVOR AND DEVELOP ONE AND PUT IT ON THE WEBSITE? 

Ok... not sure how accurate this will be for everyone,  but it's very close to what my club head speed is... 

Divide your average drive distance by 2.3. This should give you your average club head speed in miles per hour.  For instance, if your drive distance is 202 yards, your average club head speed is 202 divided by 2.3... approximately 87.8 miles per hour.  It's a rough estimate,  but actually works out pretty close to mine... hope it helps!

Thanks Jaskanski; I wasn't aware that Trakman had such a chart. As far as carry distance, it seems pretty consistent with estimating swing speed by dividing your carry distance by 2.3, which Nic mentioned. However, as I look at the Trakman chart I have to wonder what sort of course assumptions they have programmed in. The differences between the carry distances and the total distances on the chart just seem, shall we say, highly optimistic. I fairly consistently hit between 215 and 225 carry with a slight draw and medium to medium-high trajectory. Based on that, using Nic's correlation value, I figure my swing speed must be on the order of 95mph. Fine so far. But I sure don't see total distances of 247 to 276 yards. 46 to 53 yards of roll just doesn't match the reality I see on the course. FWIW, our course is getting increasingly firm as summer advances, but if I get a 20 yard to 25 yard roll I'm pretty pleased. Maybe my spin rate is higher than what the Trakman program employs, reducing the roll out. But it sure doesn't show up in my shot shape. 

I want to play someplace where a driver that spins over 3100 rolls out over 40 yards.  Because where I play, that'll roll about 4 yards.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, Hecaviator said:

Thanks Jaskanski; I wasn't aware that Trakman had such a chart. As far as carry distance, it seems pretty consistent with estimating swing speed by dividing your carry distance by 2.3, which Nic mentioned. However, as I look at the Trakman chart I have to wonder what sort of course assumptions they have programmed in. The differences between the carry distances and the total distances on the chart just seem, shall we say, highly optimistic. I fairly consistently hit between 215 and 225 carry with a slight draw and medium to medium-high trajectory. Based on that, using Nic's correlation value, I figure my swing speed must be on the order of 95mph. Fine so far. But I sure don't see total distances of 247 to 276 yards. 46 to 53 yards of roll just doesn't match the reality I see on the course. FWIW, our course is getting increasingly firm as summer advances, but if I get a 20 yard to 25 yard roll I'm pretty pleased. Maybe my spin rate is higher than what the Trakman program employs, reducing the roll out. But it sure doesn't show up in my shot shape. 

I couldn't find the link,  but there are actually multiple trackman charts that addresses soft and firm fairways.  When looking at distance,  carry distance is really what you want to look at.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, Hecaviator said:

Total is also going to depend on land angle/descent angle as well as the firmness or lack of.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, Hecaviator said:

We sometimes hear reference to swing speed as a metric for selecting a shaft or (as in the latest NoPuttsGiven video #44) a driver. But for those of us who don't reliably know what our swing speed is with our driver, or any other club for that matter, IS THERE A TABLE SOMEWHERE THAT CORRELATES DRIVER DISTANCE AND SWING SPEED? Even if we don't know our swing speed, most of us know or can easily determine our average driver carry distance. I'm not talking the longest drive we've hit this year and I'm not taking into consideration roll (total distance), just the carry distance. When the trajectory and ball flight characteristics are relatively conventional, not hooking hard or a big banana fade, that carry distance should correlate to some degree with the average swing speed, right? I suspect it correlates pretty well, allowing somewhat for equipment and smash factor (efficiency) differences. So, with reference to the "best" drivers based on swing speed that were mentioned on NPG#44, as a guy who is hitting his average drive (carry distance) 220 yards, do I fit in the slow swing speed category (less than 95 mph), the middle swing speed range (95 - 105), or the high swing speed range (over 105). AND IF THERE ISN'T A READILY AVAILABLE REFERENCE TABLE WE CAN LOOK AT, SHOULDN'T MY GOLF SPY DO US A FAVOR AND DEVELOP ONE AND PUT IT ON THE WEBSITE? 

So I very much like the Trackman charts posted previously. I love charts with data for comparisons as it helps me when I begin testing/searching for club heads, shafts, etc. Below is a reference source I refer to from time to time while researching.

https://wishongolf.com/2012/01/27/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/  (note the numbers are from "level AOA" but can be cross referenced with Trackman charts posted in earlier post)