Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Grip size

Can going to a larger grip help with face rotation? I am someone who has always had a lot of face opening in the backswing, and closing in the through swing. When I am playing a lot, I manage it fine and can post a decent score (was once a 5 handicap for reference).  I do not get to play as often now, and someone I play with asked me if I had ever tried midsize grips. I have not, but I do have pretty large hands. He thinks that a larger grip may help calm a bit of that down. I think he said cartbarnguys put something on instagram to the effect that he uses midsize grips to help limit face rotation. So do you guys who use midsize or bigger notice this at all? I am curious as I am willing to try it, but did not want to buy all new grips and find out my friend is full of it.

Thanks for your help! 

C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

12 minutes ago, crope1 said:

Can going to a larger grip help with face rotation? I am someone who has always had a lot of face opening in the backswing, and closing in the through swing. When I am playing a lot, I manage it fine and can post a decent score (was once a 5 handicap for reference).  I do not get to play as often now, and someone I play with asked me if I had ever tried midsize grips. I have not, but I do have pretty large hands. He thinks that a larger grip may help calm a bit of that down. I think he said cartbarnguys put something on instagram to the effect that he uses midsize grips to help limit face rotation. So do you guys who use midsize or bigger notice this at all? I am curious as I am willing to try it, but did not want to buy all new grips and find out my friend is full of it.

Thanks for your help! 

Theoretically a bigger grip can slow down face rotation. Bubba Watson has like 10 wraps of tape or more I believe for this reason.

You have to try it yourself though to make sure it works for you and doesn't negatively change your swing based on how you react to the larger grip. Try change one club first. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I have midsize grips on all my clubs except my wedges they are jumbo. My dispersion has greatly reduced since the switch and my fade is alight tighter. Hopefully midsize grips will help. If they don't grips arn't that expensive.

like dlow206 said do one grip and see how you preform.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Moving to mid-sized helped me a lot with my grip pressure, which resulted in better shots/dispersion. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've played around with grip size a lot recently. Went from standard, then to midsize, and now back to standard +4. I've been regularly getting lessons and my coach saw that I wasn't keeping my left hand pinky finger gripping in my follow through, which is why I went back down to standard. I found my shot dispersion was more correlated to my swing than grip size. But I have weird hands, I'm a bigger guy thicker hands but shorter fingers. Really hard to find a glove that works. I do like mid size on my 3 wood and driver, still.

I say try it on a club or 2 and see what you think. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

I stuck with standard this go around just because I don’t know what size I want. My cousin has mid sized and I really liked them and felt like I was not as tense with the grip as well. Next set of grips I’ll be swapping.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!