TESTERS WANTED! ×

Orange Whip LightSpeed -- Quick Take.

cksurfdude

I’ve had my OW for a few weeks now and use it primarily for loosening up B4 a round. It definitely gets my shoulders loose and I’m not tense on 1st tee. So far I’m happy with it.
If I can get a couple more yards that’ll be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

... get loose ... get a couple more yards ...

Do you do the basic warm-ups they suggest?

Start with holding it horizontal and hands wide apart, slowly rotate back then forward .. repeat while trying to turn slightly more back and slightly more forward each time. Second warm-up is one-armed swings .. again start slowly and add a little more back and thru over following swings.

Then some regular swings, again starting slowly and building up speed and turn as you go.

I'm finding that's helping me build a little more speed as it helps me continue to refine my body movement through the swing.

Also, can't find the article / vid right now but this one explained how alternating light <> heavy clubs practicing driver swings can help build clubhead speed.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Do you do the basic warm-ups they suggest?
Start with holding it horizontal and hands wide apart, slowly rotate back then forward .. repeat while trying to turn slightly more back and slightly more forward each time. Second warm-up is one-armed swings .. again start slowly and add a little more back and thru over following swings.
Then some regular swings, again starting slowly and building up speed and turn as you go.
I'm finding that's helping me build a little more speed as it helps me continue to refine my body movement through the swing.
Also, can't find the article / vid right now but this one explained how alternating light heavy clubs practicing driver swings can help build clubhead speed.

Yup, sure do. I follow the OW Utube video. Shoulders definitely feel better.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The info you provided above was great. 

I had my OW for less then a year and I use to warm up before the round most of the places I play do not have a driving range so it is good to warm up. Before my round usually on the first tee box I will pull it out and do 5-10 swings to loosen up my back. Works great really like it 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

20 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Orange Whip LightSpeed -- Initial Quick Take.
Forum Member unofficial mini-review.
July, 2020

About two or so years I jumped aboard the Orange Whip "train" (lol) ... and it quickly became one of my favorite swing training aids (and I've tried a LOT of different ones over the years); in fact, I liked it so much I added the OW "Compact" trainer shortly thereafter (basically a shorter version intended to simulate an iron swing). I still use both of these frequently, and definitely feel that I'm still gaining benefit from both of them.

Recently I saw an ad for OW's new "LightSpeed" speed (of course!) trainer. I'd been looking at SuperSpeed's "C" trainer, but then considered that since I'm already using - and am comfortable with - two OW training aids then their model of speed trainer may be a better fit for me. 

208008063_OWandLightSpeed-horiz.jpg.0780c04b824a5d64a9041d5a1881360c.jpg

Note: I have not used any SuperSpeed trainer and this mini-review makes no effort to compare/contrast them.

My swing speed:
Don't know my driver swing speed but based on charts I've seen online my current 3-wood (that I use off the tee most often; tho technically it could be a 4W, I guess, at 17* loft?) clubhead speed should be hi 80s / close to 90 mph (ie. I get close to 200 yd carry when I catch it right). 

My training goal:
Obviously I hope to improve my clubhead speed -- to improve both the distances I can reach off the tee and that I can hit a second shot, and also to increase the distance from where I can comfortably attempt an approach shot.

However - I'm not looking for outright speed but rather a little more let's call it "playable" clubhead speed with my woods, hybrids, irons .. *while still swinging in control and making solid contact* (and, hopefully ha ha, towards my on-course targets). 

It would be nice to add, if I can get there, another 10% / 20 yards to my tee shots with my 3W. Additionally, being 64 now I'm hoping that with regular use it'll help me to maintain a decent clubhead speed over time.

I don't plan on measuring my swing speed on an LM, now nor after a period of training; my results .. positive, negative, unchanged .. will reveal themselves on the course. 

OK, back to the product:
If you're familiar with an OW Trainer then you'll already be familiar with its slightly shorter, and of course much lighter, brother LightSpeed - eg. same construction with an orange ball head, flexible shaft, counterweight ball on the butt end of the grip, etc. 

Where they differ includes - LightSpeed has a smaller, lighter head; uses a longer length of the thinner profile/more flexible shaft material; and has a slightly larger/slightly heavier counterweight ball. 

934646867_OWandLightSpeed-handles.jpg.3a97d7ef136f293e7714b71c0e1a6492.jpg

It also uses a slightly different style wrap grip on it (possibly an update to all OW products?) with slightly wider spacing between the wraps and small dimples for texture; the material feels more synthetic vs the more rubbery grip on the original Trainer; plus the grip on the LightSpeed is slightly larger around .. almost like an extra wrap or two of tape underneath a standard grip (actually a welcome plus for these old fingers!).

1189113484_OWandLightSpeed-handlescloseup.jpg.f3501f796368418946b70f25c6c9f4e6.jpg

Minor QA dings:
1. The ferrule, I guess you'd call it, at the joining of the two shaft sections was loose; it needs a bit of glue to hold it in place.
2. The counterweight ball was loose, not fully screwed down. This was a bit surprising as I recall having read two years ago on the Orange Whip site that some models may have shipped with a loose counterweight and the user was cautioned to tighten it. I twisted it down hand tight, but if it does loosen after some use I'll put a drop of ThreadLock in there.

699520159_OWLightSpeed-ferrule.jpg.c467557069c292899d2935787862a10c.jpg

First impressions:
Almost as expected due to having used other OW trainers, the first swings with the LightSpeed did not feel awkward. In fact it feels nicely balanced as you swing back and through, and just like it's bigger brother the Trainer it encourages you to swing with good sequencing and tempo. 

I started out slowly, and slowly dialed it up, until I heard the pronounced SWISH at the bottom of the swing. You can very clearly locate where that point is, too - ie. early, late, or at the just right release point.

Then I picked up the Trainer for a few swings, then alternated back to the LightSpeed for a few rips. I can feel that this thing is going to be a big help to me!

Training aid review points:
Any golf swing training aid, of any type, should imho ... 
- be easy to understand how to use it;
- and be actually easy to use;
- require little to no setup and teardown;
- provide audible, visual and/or tactile feedback when used properly and improperly;
- encourage its continued and repeated use.

➡️ I believe the Orange Whip LightSpeed checks all these boxes.

2013106216_OWandLightSpeed-sidebyside.jpg.23ea4f593a6033587f0da6994d9ac1eb.jpg

...I'll come back and add an update after some more time with it.

Thanks for the review! As an OW user, I think this product might be good, since it will hopefully help you generate speed while forcing you to maintain good tempo.

Since the counter-weights are threaded, do you think there may be some benefit to swapping to the smaller counter-weight as you progress to give the head a slightly heavier feel?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Since the counter-weights are threaded, do you think there may be some benefit to swapping to the smaller counter-weight as you progress to give the head a slightly heavier feel?

That is an interesting question! And I will totally punt and defer you to OW directly to answer that. If you do ask, please update us with their response .. thx!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

The info you provided above was great. 

Thanks! And thx for reading. These things are really great, huh 🏌️

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, cksurfdude said:

July, 2020

About two or so years I jumped aboard the Orange Whip "train" (lol) ... and it quickly became one of my favorite swing training aids (and I've tried a LOT of different ones over the years); in fact, I liked it so much I added the OW "Compact" trainer shortly thereafter (basically a shorter version intended to simulate an iron swing). I still use both of these frequently, and definitely feel that I'm still gaining benefit from both of them.

Recently I saw an ad for OW's new "LightSpeed" speed (of course!) trainer. I'd been looking at SuperSpeed's "C" trainer, but then considered that since I'm already using - and am comfortable with - two OW training aids then their model of speed trainer may be a better fit for me. 

Note: I have not used any SuperSpeed trainer and this mini-review makes no effort to compare/contrast them.

My swing speed:
Don't know my driver swing speed but based on charts I've seen online my current 3-wood (that I use off the tee most often; tho technically it could be a 4W, I guess, at 17* loft?) clubhead speed should be hi 80s / close to 90 mph (ie. I get close to 200 yd carry when I catch it right). 

My training goal:
Obviously I hope to improve my clubhead speed -- to improve both the distances I can reach off the tee and that I can hit a second shot, and also to increase the distance from where I can comfortably attempt an approach shot.

However - I'm not looking for outright speed but rather a little more let's call it "playable" clubhead speed with my woods, hybrids, irons .. *while still swinging in control and making solid contact* (and, hopefully ha ha, towards my on-course targets). 

It would be nice to add, if I can get there, another 10% / 20 yards to my tee shots with my 3W. Additionally, being 64 now I'm hoping that with regular use it'll help me to maintain a decent clubhead speed over time.

I don't plan on measuring my swing speed on an LM, now nor after a period of training; my results .. positive, negative, unchanged .. will reveal themselves on the course. 

OK, back to the product:
If you're familiar with an OW Trainer then you'll already be familiar with its slightly shorter, and of course much lighter, brother LightSpeed - eg. same construction with an orange ball head, flexible shaft, counterweight ball on the butt end of the grip, etc. 

Where they differ includes - LightSpeed has a smaller, lighter head; uses a longer length of the thinner profile/more flexible shaft material; and has a slightly larger/slightly heavier counterweight ball. 

It also uses a slightly different style wrap grip on it (possibly an update to all OW products?) with slightly wider spacing between the wraps and small dimples for texture; the material feels more synthetic vs the more rubbery grip on the original Trainer; plus the grip on the LightSpeed is slightly larger around .. almost like an extra wrap or two of tape underneath a standard grip (actually a welcome plus for these old fingers!).

1189113484_OWandLightSpeed-handlescloseup.jpg.f3501f796368418946b70f25c6c9f4e6.jpg

Minor QA dings:
1. The ferrule, I guess you'd call it, at the joining of the two shaft sections was loose; it needs a bit of glue to hold it in place.
2. The counterweight ball was loose, not fully screwed down. This was a bit surprising as I recall having read two years ago on the Orange Whip site that some models may have shipped with a loose counterweight and the user was cautioned to tighten it. I twisted it down hand tight, but if it does loosen after some use I'll put a drop of ThreadLock in there.

First impressions:
Almost as expected due to having used other OW trainers, the first swings with the LightSpeed did not feel awkward. In fact it feels nicely balanced as you swing back and through, and just like it's bigger brother the Trainer it encourages you to swing with good sequencing and tempo. 

I started out slowly, and slowly dialed it up, until I heard the pronounced SWISH at the bottom of the swing. You can very clearly locate where that point is, too - ie. early, late, or at the just right release point.

Then I picked up the Trainer for a few swings, then alternated back to the LightSpeed for a few rips. I can feel that this thing is going to be a big help to me!

- provide audible, visual and/or tactile feedback when used properly and improperly;

Great review - thanks for posting. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Very Cool. Looks like it would be a great warmup tool.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

16 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That is an interesting question! And I will totally punt and defer you to OW directly to answer that. If you do ask, please update us with their response .. thx!

Tweeted at OW this morning. Will let you guys know what they say.

16 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Thanks! And thx for reading. These things are really great, huh 🏌️

Yes I think I will get the lightspeed trainer now !

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

Yes I think I will get the lightspeed trainer now !

Nice! Hope you start.. Bombing like Bryson 🙂

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, cksurfdude said:

From OW:

"We are currently testing a number of different counterweights and shaft lengths to see how you can best maximize your speed and gain distance. Stay tuned!"

7 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

From OW:

"We are currently testing a number of different counterweights and shaft lengths to see how you can best maximize your speed and gain distance. Stay tuned!"

Hmm. Begs the question, I think - if it's still being tested / developed then what did I buy..?

Possibly they're planning some sort of multi-club set, similar to Super Speed...

Anyway, still happy with whatever it is 😄 that I've got.

And "discovered" something yesterday morning while swinging it .. despite the shaft, obviously, being super flexy .. when I got to the top and instead of a teeny bit of a pause, I consciously stopped my turn and "set" my wrists and felt the shaft bend/ load more. May be onto something good..!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Hmm. Begs the question, I think - if it's still being tested / developed then what did I buy..?

Possibly they're planning some sort of multi-club set, similar to Super Speed...

Anyway, still happy with whatever it is 😄 that I've got.

And "discovered" something yesterday morning while swinging it .. despite the shaft, obviously, being super flexy .. when I got to the top and instead of a teeny bit of a pause, I consciously stopped my turn and "set" my wrists and felt the shaft bend/ load more. May be onto something good..!

I'm not sure I could get used to that counterweight ball.  I grip right to the end of the club with my left hand, and I would think that ball would be rubbing my wrist.  I might have to find one to try; probably none around here.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Anyway, still happy with whatever it is that I've got.

Interesting, must be some R&D going on for new products/projects.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm not sure I could get used to that counterweight ball.  I grip right to the end of the club with my left hand, and I would think that ball would be rubbing my wrist.  I might have to find one to try; probably none around here.

I was apprehensive at 1st but now I love the OW. Loosens me up B4 early morning play w Ole Fart shoulders.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I have the regular OW and I don't even notice the counterweight when swinging it. However, one benefit is that I feel I can be more aggressive in the swing without the potential of 'losing' the club. The counterweight in effect serves as a stop.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

27 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I was apprehensive at 1st but now I love the OW. Loosens me up B4 early morning play w Ole Fart shoulders.

I use the Skilz Gold Flex for that purpose.  10 full swings left and right handed before play is mandatory, but it's a good loosening up of the OF shoulders anytime.

4 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I have the regular OW and I don't even notice the counterweight when swinging it. However, one benefit is that I feel I can be more aggressive in the swing without the potential of 'losing' the club. The counterweight in effect serves as a stop.

Good to know.  I am interested in the Lightspeed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I might have to find one to try; probably none around here.

Drop over anytime 😂😂😂

Three OWs to experiment with, plus .. as you know .. the beer fridge is always stocked! 🍻

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Drop over anytime
Three OWs to experiment with, plus .. as you know .. the beer fridge is always stocked!

I got my OW because of the conversation on MGS. I felt OW was best for me and some other very good trainers were probably too much for me at my age and may do more harm than good. Anyway happy I got it and definitely stretches me out B4 play and helps w my Tempo.

Rick

Left Hand, 

OK this thing is *definitely* helping me! I'm starting .. not always, but starting .. to really swing through the ball and send it (well .... on a relative basis, for me anyway.. 😂😂).

A really helpful drill is to warm-up with the regular OW Trainer, then start to ramp up the range of motion and the speed .. then switch to the LightSpeed.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, cksurfdude said:

July, 2020

My swing speed:

My training goal:

OK, back to the product:

Minor QA dings:

First impressions:

Question for you CK. Would the LightSpeed serve a duel purpose for tempo and speed or not. I'm looking at the OG OW but if the LightSpeed does both, I'd get it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

53 minutes ago, MattF said:

Question for you CK. Would the LightSpeed serve a dual purpose for tempo and speed or not. I'm looking at the OG OW but if the LightSpeed does both, I'd get it.

Hey Matt - strictly IMHO .. I'll offer a "maybe yes, but..."

The LightSpeed is *much* lighter and while it does have the flexible shaft and same setup as the "Original" to promote a good rhythm and tempo, it's really its secondary function. For tempo training - primarily - I'd stick with the original OW. Note, though, that use of the original can promote better swing speed by.. smoothing out your mechanics, improving your timing and overall tempo (of course), increasing your turn range of motion and strengthening your swing muscles, too!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Hey Matt - strictly IMHO .. I'll offer a "maybe yes, but..."

The LightSpeed is *much* lighter and while it does have the flexible shaft and same setup as the "Original" to promote a good rhythm and tempo, it's really its secondary function. For tempo training - primarily - I'd stick with the original OW. Note, though, that use of the original can promote better swing speed by.. smoothing out your mechanics, improving your timing and overall tempo (of course), increasing your turn range of motion and strengthening your swing muscles, too!

Thanks very much mate...OG OW should arrive on Saturday.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

16 minutes ago, MattF said:

👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Don’t think you’ll be disappointed

Rick

Left Hand, 

Wonder if my 'yellow' speedstick will work the same way? Won't hurt to try it. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Wonder if my 'yellow' speedstick will work the same way? Won't hurt to try it. 

Is it short? If so, I have the same thing.
Do try it, but imho ... short answer: not quite, not as well. OW's version is better balanced and provides a better feel through the swing.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg