Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Orange Whip LightSpeed -- Quick Take.

cksurfdude

52 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Nice - welcome to this sometimes frustrating but fun game!

Disclaimer - I am NOT a teaching pro, but what worked for me, to help me work on my swing, is the Regular and the Compact trainers. My thinking is "build the foundation" and then work on adding speed; so I think of the Light Speed as an add-on.

Either way good luck and enjoy!

My wife and I both use the original OW as a warmup (and she hates to workout or warm-up) religiously - it's the best "aid" I've ever used.  I'm thinking of getting the lightspeed since I've all but abandoned the SS sticks. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

35 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

My wife and I both use the original OW as a warmup (and she hates to workout or warm-up) religiously - it's the best "aid" I've ever used.  I'm thinking of getting the lightspeed since I've all but abandoned the SS sticks. 

I'd guess if you're comfortable with, and finding benefit in, the original OW Trainer then you'll probably also be comfortable with the Light Speed.

And no The Rock work it until you drop gym sessions required ☺️

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

That’s why I purchased the OW. About 1/2 our golf group has the OW now.
Great for pre-round loosening up and Tempo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The Orange Whip swing trainer has been a great tool for me to warm-up before my round and to help with swing sequencing and tempo.  Very often now before my round when I go to get it out of the bag one of my playing partners is already using it.  It works and it is easy to use.

I also have the Light speed and have found that it has helped me to gain more distance off the tee if you do the drills that they’ve created for it.

A few months ago I bought the Power peel package and enrolled in their GFX online fitness program.  It has really helped me over the last 6 weeks.  I have gained mobility, strength and distance through the program.

Just recently I bought the Orange Whip wedge and putter and have just started to use them.  I can see already that they will be beneficial.

In fact I can say that the Orange Whip products are probably the best training aids I’ve ever purchased and combined with their GFX fitness program the best thing I’ve done this year for my game.  

My GHIN handicap index is 4.9 as of this morning and I’m trying hard this year to get that down further.

Edited by Hoyoymac
Added a sentence

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Nice - welcome to this sometimes frustrating but fun game!

Disclaimer - I am NOT a teaching pro, but what worked for me, to help me work on my swing, is the Regular and the Compact trainers. My thinking is "build the foundation" and then work on adding speed; so I think of the Light Speed as an add-on.

Either way good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, it is fun and frustrating and I’m enjoying it. 😅

Thanks for the input also, that will be something to consider.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, namoxiz said:

Thinking of having a Duo shipped all the way to Southeast Asia. Can the Lightspeed simulate as a compact for irons Trainer?

After looking around, shipping fees could really increase the cost for me. I did find a local seller who only has OW midsize available. Anyone knows if that could work for me instead of the regular sized (I’m 5’10”). I saw that the website officially lists the midsize as “for men, to work on iron swing” but I was hoping I could also use it for “driver swing”. Thanks.  

17 minutes ago, namoxiz said:

After looking around, shipping fees could really increase the cost for me. I did find a local seller who only has OW midsize available. Anyone knows if that could work for me instead of the regular sized (I’m 5’10”). I saw that the website officially lists the midsize as “for men, to work on iron swing” but I was hoping I could also use it for “driver swing”. Thanks.  

If that's your only option, it's better than nothing I guess .. you could still get benefit from swinging it. In fact, it may be a good "compromise" solution! Fyi, I'm 5' 6" and feel that for me the Compact version more closely simulates an iron swing.

Is there any chance that seller can special order any of the other OW trainers for you..?

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

53 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

If that's your only option, it's better than nothing I guess .. you could still get benefit from swinging it. In fact, it may be a good "compromise" solution! Fyi, I'm 5' 6" and feel that for me the Compact version more closely simulates an iron swing.

Is there any chance that seller can special order any of the other OW trainers for you..?

I  see. One reason I was considering the midsize is that I saw a website for the Australian distributor of OW and they were recommending the full size trainer for people at least 6’0”. Add your thoughts on the Compact trainer and it’s looking like maybe it is a good compromise for now. 

The seller is not really a distributor and seems like he just had maybe an extra so I doubt although I can try to ask.

Thanks for the input, helps a lot.

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, cksurfdude said:

Orange Whip LightSpeed -- Initial Quick Take.
Forum Member unofficial mini-review.
July, 2020

About two or so years I jumped aboard the Orange Whip "train" (lol) ... and it quickly became one of my favorite swing training aids (and I've tried a LOT of different ones over the years); in fact, I liked it so much I added the OW "Compact" trainer shortly thereafter (basically a shorter version intended to simulate an iron swing). I still use both of these frequently, and definitely feel that I'm still gaining benefit from both of them.

Recently I saw an ad for OW's new "LightSpeed" speed (of course!) trainer. I'd been looking at SuperSpeed's "C" trainer, but then considered that since I'm already using - and am comfortable with - two OW training aids then their model of speed trainer may be a better fit for me. 

208008063_OWandLightSpeed-horiz.jpg.0780c04b824a5d64a9041d5a1881360c.jpg

Note: I have not used any SuperSpeed trainer and this mini-review makes no effort to compare/contrast them.

My swing speed:
Don't know my driver swing speed but based on charts I've seen online my current 3-wood (that I use off the tee most often; tho technically it could be a 4W, I guess, at 17* loft?) clubhead speed should be hi 80s / close to 90 mph (ie. I get close to 200 yd carry when I catch it right). 

My training goal:
Obviously I hope to improve my clubhead speed -- to improve both the distances I can reach off the tee and that I can hit a second shot, and also to increase the distance from where I can comfortably attempt an approach shot.

However - I'm not looking for outright speed but rather a little more let's call it "playable" clubhead speed with my woods, hybrids, irons .. *while still swinging in control and making solid contact* (and, hopefully ha ha, towards my on-course targets). 

It would be nice to add, if I can get there, another 10% / 20 yards to my tee shots with my 3W. Additionally, being 64 now I'm hoping that with regular use it'll help me to maintain a decent clubhead speed over time.

I don't plan on measuring my swing speed on an LM, now nor after a period of training; my results .. positive, negative, unchanged .. will reveal themselves on the course. 

OK, back to the product:
If you're familiar with an OW Trainer then you'll already be familiar with its slightly shorter, and of course much lighter, brother LightSpeed - eg. same construction with an orange ball head, flexible shaft, counterweight ball on the butt end of the grip, etc. 

Where they differ includes - LightSpeed has a smaller, lighter head; uses a longer length of the thinner profile/more flexible shaft material; and has a slightly larger/slightly heavier counterweight ball. 

934646867_OWandLightSpeed-handles.jpg.3a97d7ef136f293e7714b71c0e1a6492.jpg

It also uses a slightly different style wrap grip on it (possibly an update to all OW products?) with slightly wider spacing between the wraps and small dimples for texture; the material feels more synthetic vs the more rubbery grip on the original Trainer; plus the grip on the LightSpeed is slightly larger around .. almost like an extra wrap or two of tape underneath a standard grip (actually a welcome plus for these old fingers!).

1189113484_OWandLightSpeed-handlescloseup.jpg.f3501f796368418946b70f25c6c9f4e6.jpg

Minor QA dings:
1. The ferrule, I guess you'd call it, at the joining of the two shaft sections was loose; it needs a bit of glue to hold it in place.
2. The counterweight ball was loose, not fully screwed down. This was a bit surprising as I recall having read two years ago on the Orange Whip site that some models may have shipped with a loose counterweight and the user was cautioned to tighten it. I twisted it down hand tight, but if it does loosen after some use I'll put a drop of ThreadLock in there.

699520159_OWLightSpeed-ferrule.jpg.c467557069c292899d2935787862a10c.jpg

First impressions:
Almost as expected due to having used other OW trainers, the first swings with the LightSpeed did not feel awkward. In fact it feels nicely balanced as you swing back and through, and just like it's bigger brother the Trainer it encourages you to swing with good sequencing and tempo. 

I started out slowly, and slowly dialed it up, until I heard the pronounced SWISH at the bottom of the swing. You can very clearly locate where that point is, too - ie. early, late, or at the just right release point.

Then I picked up the Trainer for a few swings, then alternated back to the LightSpeed for a few rips. I can feel that this thing is going to be a big help to me!

Training aid review points:
Any golf swing training aid, of any type, should imho ... 
- be easy to understand how to use it;
- and be actually easy to use;
- require little to no setup and teardown;
- provide audible, visual and/or tactile feedback when used properly and improperly;
- encourage its continued and repeated use.

➡️ I believe the Orange Whip LightSpeed checks all these boxes.

2013106216_OWandLightSpeed-sidebyside.jpg.23ea4f593a6033587f0da6994d9ac1eb.jpg

...I'll come back and add an update after some more time with it.

I tried using the forum search function for "orange whip" info and it kept coming back with zip.  So I just searched from the browser "orange whip and my golf spy".... and looky what I found.  So, after watching @Kenny Buse one of these and many of the folks here using them, I'm (once again) looking to buy one but trying to decide which size; full or mid size.  I'm 6'2" and thinking the full size might be the best option?  Suggestions?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I tried using the forum search function for "orange whip" info and it kept coming back with zip.  So I just searched from the browser "orange whip and my golf spy".... and looky what I found.  So, after watching @Kenny Buse one of these and many of the folks here using them, I'm (once again) looking to buy one but trying to decide which size; full or mid size.  I'm 6'2" and thinking the full size might be the best option?  Suggestions?

I think you want the full size Trainer; best for warmups before rounds.  I also have the LightSpeed; only use it in my hitting bay when working on swing speed.  I like it for that but wouldn’t use it for warmups before playing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm (once again) looking to buy one but trying to decide which size ...

51 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I think you want the full size Trainer;

I'd agree with Kenny and go with the full size .. most popular model, it seems.

Yeah it's great not just for warming up / loosening up but also for really getting a good feel of where your arms, torso, weight, etc etc are as you move through the swing.

Money well spent, imo, as this has been a very helpful swing training aid for me plus one with durability, as in it keeps getting used over time.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

6 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

I'd agree with Kenny and go with the full size .. most popular model, it seems.

Yeah it's great not just for warming up / loosening up but also for really getting a good feel of where your arms, torso, weight, etc etc are as you move through the swing.

Money well spent, imo, as this has been a very helpful swing training aid for me plus one with durability, as in it keeps getting used over time.

I’ve seen Bill’s swing many times… he needs one.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I’ve seen Bill’s swing many times… he needs one.  🤣

Like I told folks struggling to make great casts; "it doesn't need to look good just needs to get the job done" 😉

In addition to helping loosen up, I'm hoping this helps with tempo.  Mine tends to be a little fast.

giphy.gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

^ wow that's some fancy shootin!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 6:23 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Bill, did you see the email from MGS today on Best Golf Deals of the Week?  They showed the Orange Whip on sale at PGA Superstore for $20 off... so $100.