Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DG R300 vs... Need some help finding similar shaft

Hey all, first off, love this community and all the help it brings to so many of us! I'm in need of some of that help today.

I have played DG R300s for about 5 years now. They are the perfect shaft for how I load the club, they aren't too heavy, and even when trying out fittings for different/better/newer shafts, they just can't be beat. I'm 100% behind this except that I want to get some new wedges and the DG R300 is not stock. They can get them, but the True Temper factory is about 4 weeks behind (I was told) and I am considering waiting, but just in case... Are any of these shafts a similar profile? And I'm not just looking for weight/stiffness. I really want to find something that is super close.

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_2930.jpg

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

The s400 are going to be the same shaft jist heavier and stiffer. The c taper are similar in launch characteristics. 

Here’s an easy to read chart from titleist that shows launch characteristics 

http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/files/US/Titleist-Custom-Club-Options/Titleist-Clubs-Custom-Options.pdf

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, analyticandrew said:

Hey all, first off, love this community and all the help it brings to so many of us! I'm in need of some of that help today.

I have played DG R300s for about 5 years now. They are the perfect shaft for how I load the club, they aren't too heavy, and even when trying out fittings for different/better/newer shafts, they just can't be beat. I'm 100% behind this except that I want to get some new wedges and the DG R300 is not stock. They can get them, but the True Temper factory is about 4 weeks behind (I was told) and I am considering waiting, but just in case... Are any of these shafts a similar profile? And I'm not just looking for weight/stiffness. I really want to find something that is super close.

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_2930.jpg

Agree with @RickyBobby_PR .

Question. Is your R300 iron shafts parallel tip or taper tip/constant weight shafts?

51 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

Agree with @RickyBobby_PR .

Question. Is your R300 iron shafts parallel tip or taper tip/constant weight shafts?

TBH I’m not sure. I got my current irons direct from Bridgestone through a rep. 

I would wait and get the right shaft.

Alternatively, you could buy the wedges with whatever shaft and then get them swapped out by any competent pro shop up and down the land who probably WILL have a DG R300 either new or pulled in stock which can be fitted. The DG is pretty common for a reason - it just works. But for a variety of players it is seen as heavy, so it tends to get swapped out a lot. They are cheap as chips too, so don't expect to break the bank in finding one or getting it fitted.

Or just wait for the right shaft.

10 hours ago, analyticandrew said:

TBH I’m not sure. I got my current irons direct from Bridgestone through a rep. 

What is the stock shaft in the wedge you are looking to get?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What is the stock shaft in the wedge you are looking to get?

There is no "stock" - I can choose from all of those above. Custom. 

24 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

There is no "stock" - I can choose from all of those above. Custom. 

Technically all the ones with no price next to them are “stock” and the premium would be the ones that have an upcharge price like the s400.

typically for dynamic gold they have a wedge flex that can be s200,s300 or s400 shaft, I don’t ever recall seeing an r flex shaft from dynamic gold and as you mention that would have to be a special purchase. Is there anything after there after the x100? 

the top image is the parallel shaft info and the bottom is the tapered info.

BB1CC06D-0E7B-491A-9DD0-EBFA7D764B95.jpeg

99AB6B27-2DFA-445F-833B-926FE4970C68.jpeg

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Technically all the ones with no price next to them are “stock” and the premium would be the ones that have an upcharge price like the s400.

typically for dynamic gold they have a wedge flex or s200 shaft, I don’t ever recall seeing an r flex shaft from dynamic gold and as you mention that would have to be a special purchase. Is there anything after there a wedge flex or s200 after the x100 listed?

No. That list is the full list. I have used DG Spinner shafts before, don't think that they load the same for me as the standard R300 (naturally, they're different shafts 🙂 ). 

I also have tried the R300 against the S300 and b/c of the way I load the shaft, it just doesn't perform as well. 

4 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

No. That list is the full list. I have used DG Spinner shafts before, don't think that they load the same for me as the standard R300 (naturally, they're different shafts 🙂 ). 

I also have tried the R300 against the S300 and b/c of the way I load the shaft, it just doesn't perform as well. 

I don’t have any experience with the kbs or Nippon wedge shafts. I alway play DG shafts ing wedges or UST Mamiya recoil wedge proto and I have seen any charts in the past that compare those to the rest of the shafts listed.

Staying in the low low profile the kbs tour v, c taper and of course the s400 and x100 are going to be similar.

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t have any experience with the kbs or Nippon wedge shafts. I alway play DG shafts ing wedges or UST Mamiya recoil wedge proto and I have seen any charts in the past that compare those to the rest of the shafts listed.

Staying in the low low profile the kbs tour v, c taper and of course the s400 and x100 are going to be similar.

I appreciate the back and forth and the info! 🙂  The titleist link that was posted above is super helpful, but, as expected, nothing matches to the R300 🙂 There's some that are CLOSE. 

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If you truly feel comfortable with this shaft, it is worth the couple week wait.  

100% agree with you. Was really trying to find out if there's anything out there that loads similarly. The S300 is the closest, for sure. 

32 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

I appreciate the back and forth and the info! 🙂  The titleist link that was posted above is super helpful, but, as expected, nothing matches to the R300 🙂 There's some that are CLOSE. 

29 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

100% agree with you. Was really trying to find out if there's anything out there that loads similarly. The S300 is the closest, for sure. 

Yeah with shafts there’s not a lot between manufacturers that are true 1:1 options. Not sure in wedges but in irons ive had different results with some shafts in different heads.

Have you checked ebay for any pulls? You would just need to know if parallel or taper and the buy the right one

I agree with the suggestion for searching for some shafts on eBay either new or pulled out of another set. DG's are probably the most common shaft in the world, so there must be something out there. A quick search for "dynamic gold R300 wedge shaft" on ebay turns up a number of options right away.

• 4 weeks later...

If they are custom build and you just can’t wait.   Get s300 and soft step it twice.  That would make it only 3 grams heavier and .3 frequency difference.    Of all the shafts you listed this would be the closest.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r