TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon Q-Star

Anyone using this ball?

I have got great performance from the q-star. I was playing ProV-1s and the Srixon Z-Star. Figuried I would roll the dice on these when they were on sale buy one get one. I'm hitting the ball straighter and I'm getting almost the same distance off the tee with them. Being half the price of the ProV or the Z-Star I am very impressed with these balls.  Sometimes my wedges will scuff them up but that rare and at this price point I just use them for practice or lose them into the water. 

srixon.png

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

1 hour ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Anyone using this ball?

I have got great performance from the q-star. I was playing ProV-1s and the Srixon Z-Star. Figuried I would roll the dice on these when they were on sale buy one get one. I'm hitting the ball straighter and I'm getting almost the same distance off the tee with them. Being half the price of the ProV or the Z-Star I am very impressed with these balls.  Sometimes my wedges will scuff them up but that rare and at this price point I just use them for practice or lose them into the water. 

srixon.png

So I always keep a sleeve or two of these (Q-Stars).

They are not my tournament game ball (PRO V1 or Snell MTB-X) but I love the feel and spin of the Q-Stars.

Problem I have with them is side spin on long game. For some reason if I am off a little these really go off-line. And very high in the wind.

Where I do use them is practicing my short iron game on a local Par 3 course and I practice wedge shots with this ball as again I love the feel / spin I get with it.

Putting they feel ok, no complaints I just don't game them full time so I only practice putting with the balls I game. 

Have friends that swear by these and from a price point, really hard to beat for the quality imo. 

They are a good ball. Most see similar performance or better off the tee compared to the tour type balls. They are designed to improve dispersion off the tee as well.

Around the green and with partial swings they don’t perform as well as the tour balls. This is one of the balls I grab during the fall 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Its a good ball for me. I like the Q-Star tour, I feel its a little more around the green spin than the regular Q-Star

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Both this ball, along with the Q-Star Tour, are excellent values. Some of my favorite balls.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

24 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Its a good ball for me. I like the Q-Star tour, I feel its a little more around the green spin than the regular Q-Star

I may  have to finally try the tour version this year. I had played the tour soft from titleist or the nxt the year before so never looked into picking up the q star tour

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

46 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I may  have to finally try the tour version this year. I had played the tour soft from titleist or the nxt the year before so never looked into picking up the q star tour

I know my local Dicks Sporting Goods has 6 ball trial packs for $10

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I've been playing the Q-Star Tour and really like them, although they are probably a bit soft for me (driver swing speed over 100, and they feel squishy off the tee). They feel really good for me on the putter, firm enough that I can hit with some pace and feel like I have control, but soft enough that they aren't too "clicky". Coming from playing budget surlyn-covered balls though, the improvement on approach shots was a revelation for me.

I usually buy 4a recycled balls in bulk (since I typically go through a couple balls a round). Imagine my surprise when, after reading this thread, I went over to foundgolfballs.com and saw that they have the Z-Star XV priced $10 cheaper than the Q-Star Tour for a 5-dozen pack of 4a balls! I added a coupon code for 10% off and they worked out to $6.68/dozen ($9/dzn after taxes and shipping). So I will do a side-by-side comparison of the Q-Star Tour and Z-Star XV from the perspective of a high-handicap, moderately-high-swing-speed amateur and report back!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

I’ve been playing these for two years now.

I looked for deals on Amazon with prior years versions, but this year I took advantage of their BOGO deal during June.

Im well stocked now, with about 10 dozen, lol.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

On 7/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, gavinski91 said:

I've been playing the Q-Star Tour and really like them, although they are probably a bit soft for me (driver swing speed over 100, and they feel squishy off the tee). They feel really good for me on the putter, firm enough that I can hit with some pace and feel like I have control, but soft enough that they aren't too "clicky". Coming from playing budget surlyn-covered balls though, the improvement on approach shots was a revelation for me.

I usually buy 4a recycled balls in bulk (since I typically go through a couple balls a round). Imagine my surprise when, after reading this thread, I went over to foundgolfballs.com and saw that they have the Z-Star XV priced $10 cheaper than the Q-Star Tour for a 5-dozen pack of 4a balls! I added a coupon code for 10% off and they worked out to $6.68/dozen ($9/dzn after taxes and shipping). So I will do a side-by-side comparison of the Q-Star Tour and Z-Star XV from the perspective of a high-handicap, moderately-high-swing-speed amateur and report back!

I was playing the z-star xv and loved it, I'm not a good enough player to notice the difference off my driver with the q star and the price here was half the cost of the xv. I use the q-star now and very pleased with the results.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Anyone using this ball?
srixon.png.e2df41f00f91f99e73ae4122d9eab47c.png

I bought a couple boxes in the BOGO but have not tried them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The difference in performance between most lower compression 2-piece ionomer covered balls is negligible (feel being the biggest difference). Multilayer urethane balls produce significantly more spin on partial shots which will be critical for those that don’t hit a high percentage of GIRs and play in firmer/faster conditions.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I’ve played these but don’t seem to get much green side spin with them off wedge shots, especially on partial shots. Full swing with mid to short irons seem pretty good, but touch shots around the greens don’t seem to check up very well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Q*Star Tours have a urethane cover.  I like them better than the Q*Stars especially around the greens.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

So I'm very new to figuring out what ball I like most I'm mostly a budget golfer so I like a good deal on good products that is why I'm here.  I like the greenside spin of my Snell Mtb-x. I did just check I holed out from 156yd for  my first eagle last yr and put the ball up it was a Q-star tour maybe I should give these balls a shot. Or any suggestions on which is similar to the MTB-X?

I’ve never been a ball snob until the most recent no putts given podcast. I usually play either Srixon Soft Feel or Srixon Q Star.

The point the MGS guys made was about ball quality and consistency, which I’d never really considered. With that in mind I decided to test the Q Stars (my go to) to see how balanced they were by floating them in water and epsom salt (if the center of gravity isn’t in the center of the ball one side of the ball will always fight to float to the top). 0/12 of the Q star tours were in balance. For perspective, 1/12 Callaway superhots was in balance, 1/12 Srixon soft feels, and 9/12 Top Flite Gamer Urethane were in balance. It has me thinking about moving on from this price point!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

For $2 more a dozen I get the tours, so I've been alternating between the Q & Z stars at the moment depending on temp. Still love Pro Vs, but the price point being half that of Titleist, I'm switching over.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

After doing some research on balls for the first time in my life, I actually switched over to the q star tours. They have been hanging on a string off the tee and I can finally hold greens with my iron shots!

tenor.gif

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 2:15 AM, RyanJohnson_Official said:

After doing some research on balls for the first time in my life, I actually switched over to the q star tours. They have been hanging on a string off the tee and I can finally hold greens with my iron shots!

This is exactly what I've found. I moved from a decent 2 piece (Titleist tour soft) to the Q Star Tour, and the difference is amazing. I'll never go back to 2 piece. 

Edited by jazz15c

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

Agreed. I really like these tours for the price especially on BOGO. I can actually get them to spin backwards and roll back on the greens and can stick on the greens with some decent length iron shots.

This is exactly what I've found. I moved from a decent 2 piece (Titleist tour soft) to the Q Star Tour, and the difference is amazing. I'll never go back to 2 piece. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

• 2 weeks later...

I played the qstar, most of which I bought used for 3 or 4 years mostly in yellow. When the QStar tour was released I bought a box of them and had a really tough time keeping them on the golf course off of the Tee. Not sure I would buy the tours again. My miss with the driver is usually a duck hook and this was a major slice.