Are we Team Bryson or not?

Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I like watching him, and I'll root for him more often than not. But I'm completely over the commentary that the broadcast teams do on him. Please stop talking about protein shakes as if they are a new fangled magic formula. Stop using the "mad scientist" moniker. I really feel that the broadcast teams dislike him and use all the comments to diminish what a really good golfer he is. His personality could use some polish for sure, but I don't recall Tiger winning any awards for friendliness his first 20 years on tour. 

At this point, he is basically must watch TV for golf. I mean... 230y 8i last week out of the rough, cheat codes don't even delve into that realm of lunacy. 

Totally agree!!  The announcers have ruined watching golf for me.  Bryson has figured out how he can best defeat a golf course, and he has trained to do it.  I respect that.  Isn't that what we all strive to do?  Unfortunately, announcers HAVE to talk about something, and Bryson doing it differently than anyone else is fodder for all kinds of "analysis".  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Totally agree!!  The announcers have ruined watching golf for me.  Bryson has figured out how he can best defeat a golf course, and he has trained to do it.  I respect that.  Isn't that what we all strive to do?  Unfortunately, announcers HAVE to talk about something, and Bryson doing it differently than anyone else is fodder for all kinds of "analysis".  

This!!! The “expert analysis” on tv is just plain awful. I subscribe to pga tour live, much better coverage, less analysis and more live takes on course from players and caddies. But then again, if not for Faldo, I wouldn’t know that graphite shafts cause fliers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's hard to go with a Team (anybody) because each player is a person complete with gifts and flaws, to be on a team can be both rewarding from the highs but discouraging from the dohs.

Bryson is proving that, as Koepka has before him, exercise and a concerted effort to follow an intentional plan can yield results.  What will be telling is the longevity of the plan and program he has embarked upon, is it sustainable and something that becomes his for the long run measured in years.  If it does then he has something and if not then it was just another tried idea that was not sustainable.  Lesson learned by anyone paying attention.

Behavior aside, the one aspect of his game that is undeniably attractive to this gearhead is his methodical and calculated approach to the sport adding a sharp element of science to what is unquestionably an art.  Everyone who plays uses the same tools to achieve the same goal but the way each person uses them is remarkable and personal.  His adherence to single length clubs fascinates me to the point that given the chance to try single length clubs, I would not miss it and would hope that once tried and should it improve my game to a solid bogey game or better that I would be able to switch to the single length and work in an effective way to mastery of the art.

Edited by EasyPutter
grammar

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: Nitro Crossfire   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

I like him ok. In all honesty, he wears his emotions on his sleeve when he plays, which is not too dissimilar from me. When things go South on the course for me, I have trouble controlling my outbursts. No throwing clubs, or anything like that, but I will “exhale” loudly. I don’t do this in playing groups, but I can’t fault the guy when I do the same thing.

I hope he does well.

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

27 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I like him ok. In all honesty, he wears his emotions on his sleeve when he plays, which is not too dissimilar from me. When things go South on the course for me, I have trouble controlling my outbursts. No throwing clubs, or anything like that, but I will “exhale” loudly. I don’t do this in playing groups, but I can’t fault the guy when I do the same thing.

I hope he does well.

I tend to agree with this, but it starts crossing the line when you're getting abusive to other people, re the cameraman incident.

Spieth, for example...also wears his emotions on his sleeve, but save for a pointed comment to his caddy you can't say that he's been rude or abusive to others like Bryson was last week.  How you treat others says a lot about who you are, in my opinion.

Again, I still think he's good TV and I admire his game, just can't say I'm pulling for him.

• Like 2

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Yup, I like him.  He's a contrarian and I love that he does have a science background and does not let his detractors sway his approach to the game.  That said, I'm not a fan of the length race simply because it is, IMO, changing the game in a manner that makes it too one dimensional.  His recent efforts and successes in dramatically improving that part of his game is most certainly going to result in the field trying to follow suit.  If course layouts could magically keep up, no problem - but the majority of them cannot. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Yup, I like him.  He's a contrarian and I love that he does have a science background and does not let his detractors sway his approach to the game.  That said, I'm not a fan of the length race simply because it is, IMO, changing the game in a manner that makes it too one dimensional.  His recent efforts and successes in dramatically improving that part of his game is most certainly going to result in the field trying to follow suit.  If course layouts could magically keep up, no problem - but the majority of them cannot. 

What strikes me (figuratively thankfully) about pros hitting long drives is not that they can go as far as they are but that there is some concern about changing because of it.  Like if I go to a par 3 and use too much club, because of my handicap people have a good laugh.  If they can do that distance great but if it puts them into contention because of low scores on par 5s then they are just on top of their game, and we all know that doesn't last forever.

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: Nitro Crossfire   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think he'd be easier to root for and people would appreciate his different approach if he just did his own thing and explained it when asked, but instead he explains his approach then tells us/boasts about how genius it is and how we should appreciate what he's dong for the game of golf. I think that's what drives most people crazy, he might even gain more fans if he just leaned into his cockiness, but he's stuck in between this sensitive guy who wants to be liked by everyone and someone who has cockiness/confidence/arrogance that his approach is going to make him the best golfer in the world, but doesn't lean into it with any swagger. 

• Like 1

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I am team Bryson, for a different reason.

I have a ten year bet with a buddy of mine.  He has John Rahm.  I won't go into all of the ins and outs or money, but here are a few from highest points to lowest points

Major Wins

WGC/Players/Playoffs/other big events (based on number of players in top 50 in OWGR playing) Wins

PGA Tour Wins

Top 5 majors

EPGA Tour Wins

Top 5 WGC/Players/Playoffs/other big events (based on number of players in top 50 in OWGR playing)

Top 10 majors

KF Tour Wins

Top 10 WGC/PGA

We have points for weeks as Number 1 in OWGR

Points based on Money (from pro events)

Ryder Cup teams qualified

Ryder Cup team - Picked

==

I am currently behind in the points, but only by a few. Rahm's week at number 1 gave him some extra points that has stopped me from catching him even with the top 5 at the PGA.  The Memorial win and Bryson missed cut was brutal.  Rahm almost back-doored a top 10 at the PGA and that would've hurt.   It's funny we added all of this info in, and it is pretty much whoever is leading in career earnings.  It was close through 2017, I was leading through 2018, Bryson had a huge year.  In 2019 Rahm had a good year, Bryson just OK and he took the lead.  I have made up some ground this year with how well Bryson has placed so far.

Driver - :ping-small: G400 MAX or G410 LST
Fairways - :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood 
Hybrid(s) - :ping-small: G400 17*) Testing image.png.7f7a383a93e7a299f7531b3180ec8229.png EXS Pro 17*

Irons -  (Testing :Sub70: 639CB and 699 Pro split set) & :taylormade-small:SIM Max 5-PW

Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX2 50 and 54 and RTX4 58 and 62

Putter - image.png.daabc1cfe5e524adab74c26701e62fb5.png Ocracoke or image.png.6899374f32ce3f490d50912fc5cb89f8.png MA/66
Ball - :srixon-small: Z Star or Z Star XV