Driver decision (after what seemed like a bad fitting)

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Elvis14 - your numbers are very similar to mine!  I had a G30, got picked for a MGS test of the G400 and then into the G410 after doing SuperSpeed for half a year (long, long story.)  At any rate as others have written your numbers really aren't that far off.  Many of us think that we launch driver high when we actually don't.  Ideal for you would be around 15 with the high 2,000's for spin.  You might get that by dialing it down one (that's where I'm at.)  BTW there is also the option to flatten the lie angle on the G410.  You might consider trying that to see if it doesn't help with your hook. 

Let us know how the experimenting works and good luck!

revkev, I did use the setting to flatten the lie angle and I think it did help.  I think I'm going to really like this G410.  I'm playing again Wednesday and will either leave it where it is or use the f-1 setting to go down 1 degree (just to see how that does, really). This whole work thing I'm having to do Mon-Fri is really getting in the way of my golf though....otherwise I'd have spent this morning at the range trying lots of different settings 🙂

Thanks!

2 hours ago, golfish! said:

@elvis14 mind you that it takes some time to get adjusted to new equipment. Seems though that you are happy with your new driver and that is what matters!

After playing with it and hitting it pretty well, I think that once I get adjusted to it I'm going to be very happy.  I really don't care all that much about distance, I'm going to gain some from this club which is good.  But more importantly I really liked the dispersion...hitting more fairways will pay off.

• Like 1

Curious...I have a good friend playing a G15 who fights a banana. He casts the club from the top and getting him out of that move seems difficult at best. How much yardage gain and how much fade reduction do you think he would gain? Is the new driver that much longer? 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, therod said:

Curious...I have a good friend playing a G15 who fights a banana. He casts the club from the top and getting him out of that move seems difficult at best. How much yardage gain and how much fade reduction do you think he would gain? Is the new driver that much longer? 

I hope to play Wednesday and hit the ball well enough to have answers. In my case I am looking for hook reduction.  The new club seems straighter with the settings I have right now.  I think I need to drop the loft to get more distance. I played last week but had one of those days where I couldn't hit a club in my bag, new or old.  Really frustrating when trying see what your shiny new toy can do!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, therod said:

First, I do think the new driver is longer, but not that much longer (like 5-10 yards) . Of course I hit that G15 for 10 years so there may be some selective memory there (with me remembering lots of long drives and forgetting the shorter ones).   I think most drivers are similar in distance when hit right.  I do think the new driver is longer on mishits (i.e. most of my shots lately).  I'm the opposite of your friend in that I fight a hook this past year (grip/swing changes). I feel like the G410 is helping me (except for a pull hook....no game improvement tech can save that).  I think the combination of the adjustable hosel (I have it set on -1 flat right now) and the movable weight (I have it set on fade) do what they are supposed to do (help straighten out not so great shots).  IMHO, coming from a long time G15 user, I think your friend would see benefit both from the adjustments straightening his shots and mishits being better.

I haven't revisited this thread because I've just been playing poorly the last couple of weeks...and not just with the new driver.  My swing which had been getting in a pretty good groove (for me) suddenly just disappeared.  Happened really before my G15 broke and I went shopping.  I actually think having the new driver hasn't helped because I know I want to see what the new stick will do and I've been way to aggressive in my transition. I didn't want to circle back and comment too much because it's just been frustrating.

Edited by elvis14
typo don't = > do, 3rd word

Thanks for the insight. My friend casts the club from the top of the backswing, and it's visible watching him hit balls. He's had a lesson focused on that, but he can't seem to change anything. I've tried to help, giving him a few drills to help, but he just can't get out of the habit. So it's a constant battle against the banana. 

• Like 1
On 7/11/2020 at 12:57 PM, elvis14 said:

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to teach me a few things about drivers this week.

This is what I have liked about this community so far in my short time here.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 Adams Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - Titleist 690MB True Temper Reg Flex

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP True Temper X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - PING Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - Titleist Tour Soft