Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Freaky numbers with TP5x!

I hit a mixture of premium balls with my Skytrak launch monitor indoors, usually a mix of prov1 prov1x,  and Bridgestone tour BXS - I get almost identical performance numbers and have always been a little skeptical about the difference between premium balls for my game. A tp5x found its way into the mix, and I noticed significantly lower spin with my pitching wedge. It was an old ball I found, so I thought little of it. Out of curiosity today, I broke out a brand new tp5x (was given a sleeve at a recent competition) and a brand new prov1 and compared their numbers with a 6 iron. The tp5x added 5mph of ball speed, 10 yards of carry with higher flight, and dropped the spin into the mid-high 4K range, (prov1 was consistently around 5600). I checked the spin with 100 yard wedges, and the two balls performed identically (slightly lower spin With the tp5x, but still over 9k with 3/4 swings). Driver distances were basically the same - within 5 yards with the same spin in the low 2k range. Has anyone else experienced this kind of outlier of one type of ball? Not sure what to do with this new-found knowledge......

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Totally.

It's a great and inexpensive way of getting your ball flight parameters into a better "window". Just takes some time, a few sample balls (maybe do a swap with your friends), and a launch monitor. I did it and found that the Bridgestone Tour BX gave me more optimal numbers than other balls.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

2 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

I hit a mixture of premium balls with my Skytrak launch monitor indoors, usually a mix of prov1 prov1x,  and Bridgestone tour BXS - I get almost identical performance numbers and have always been a little skeptical about the difference between premium balls for my game. A tp5x found its way into the mix, and I noticed significantly lower spin with my pitching wedge. It was an old ball I found, so I thought little of it. Out of curiosity today, I broke out a brand new tp5x (was given a sleeve at a recent competition) and a brand new prov1 and compared their numbers with a 6 iron. The tp5x added 5mph of ball speed, 10 yards of carry with higher flight, and dropped the spin into the mid-high 4K range, (prov1 was consistently around 5600). I checked the spin with 100 yard wedges, and the two balls performed identically (slightly lower spin With the tp5x, but still over 9k with 3/4 swings). Driver distances were basically the same - within 5 yards with the same spin in the low 2k range. Has anyone else experienced this kind of outlier of one type of ball? Not sure what to do with this new-found knowledge......

I used to game the TP5x because for me they were launching a touch higher, and I need the launch. They're also great in the wind. Ultimately switched because they just don't spin enough around the greens for me. The V1x did nearly everything the TP5x did, except it felt a little shorter with driver and I could actually get some action on the ball around the greens.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The TP5X when hit perfectly will fly a long way.....for me, when i mishit the TP5X at all, it flies WAAAAAY off center.....its a real noticeable difference compared to the TP5 which feels better and is way more forgiving......i played the TP5X a little last night and outdrove everyone in my 4some by 7-8 yards consistently.....but when i missed it, the thing flew into the woods like it was caught in a tractor beam from the death star.....the tP5 is a MUCH better ball to me.....

Golf is cool